Can I use my own speakers for Sony HTiB?

Username: Moester23

Post Number: 1
Hi.

I bought the Sony DAVFR1 yesterday at Circuit City. This is my first system. Upon reading the manual, it says, 'do not use any speakers besides the ones provided?' Why would it say this?

I have a new townhouse and one of the options I requested was rear built-in wall speakers. I would really like to use these for the back. I don't remember the namebrand on these speakers but I'm sure, for rear speakers, they would be compatible with this system!

I contacted Sony via the web, and they said, once again, to only use their speakers. Is this just a marketing ploy to only use Sony stuff?

I just don't see the problem with using my own speakers. I need some advice!

Aderthui
Unregistered guest
Use your own speakers.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 2108
Sony loves their proprietary stuff, but there is nothing wrong with using your own speakers. They say that so that when something goes wrong with the equipment, they can blame it on the other guy so they don't have to honor the warranty.
However, you should be careful about the type of speakers you are using. A lot of Sony's not in the ES line will not tolerate speakers with a rating lower than 8 ohms. They go into protect mode and effectively destroys itself.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us