S-video for digital cable

Username: Tombiowami

Post Number: 2
Will using s-video and a digital coax cable provide much improvement over rca analog cables to a non HD tv?(new Sony 32" wega) It sounds/looks pretty good now but I am new to this stuff.

Will a progressive scan dvd player using component cables provide any real improvement over a non prog scan using s-video?

Thanks much for any insight.
Tommy

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1935
If the Sony TV has inputs for s-video or component video, there is some noticable difference, as far as I can see. Digital coax cable is usually for digital 5.1 sound, I like it.

You can use component cables on a TV that has provisions for such a connection and I can see world of difference over composite video. However, progressive scan will not work on a tv that is only capable of interlaced.

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 920
By all means use the best connection you can and for a analog tv it's s-video and either coax or optical for the audio. My digital cable box has s-video and optical and the picture is a huge improvement and the digital sound in dolby digital is pretty good but not up to dvd standards.

Post Number: 3
Thanks for the feedback. Right now I have my dvd player hooked up to the one s-video port I have on my tv.(receiver has no s-vid or component but does have one digi coax and 2 opticals)

If I got a dvd player with comp ports and optical I could use my digi cable s-video port. So my decision is basically is it worth getting a 60$ dvd player, optical cable and comp cables to get the added benefit is s-video on the cable.

Tommy

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 922
If your receiver has no s-video inputs and/or switching capability then it has to be pretty old as this has been a standard feature for several years. Is your receiver even a digital model? Maybe it's time to upgrade your receiver.

Post Number: 4
It is actually a new one but an entry level unit. Yamaha YHT-150. It is basically set up to have mostly incoming rca/alalog signals for video/audio, and then run the video through one composite monitor outlet to the tv. It does have 2 fiber inputs for dvd and cd, and one digi coax. The tv I just got has one svideo and one set of component inputs on different video channels. I don't get the switching capability from the receiver but would be willing to give that up for a noticeable increase in picture clarity. I will just move the svideo and digi coax over to the digital cable box and see how much of a difference. Thanks for the input.
Tommy
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us