Just got the Onkyo 770, need some clarifications on recommended settings

Username: Megalith

Post Number: 1
I've been reading around, and some have noted that you should turn all speaker sizes to "large"...how exactly does this affect the sound, and is this really recommendable even though it goes against the manual?

Secondly, you are supposed to make sure the levels on all speakers are equal...however, I've found it more enjoyable to have the rears up at around 8db, with the fronts left at 0db. I kind of want to increase the level of the center channel as well, because sometimes the sound doesn't seem to be clear or distinct enough because of the sound from the fronts (but only when the system is at <30db or so). But should I really get used to having every speaker at an equal level?

I'd like to see which settings people use.

Username: Drew_and_not_u

Wilmington, NC United States

Post Number: 9
I've had mine for a couple of months and I have the front and center speakers set to large because they are, and all three rears set to small because they are. As far as how the settings affects the sound I'm not sure. I don't know if it either regulates power in relation to smaller speakers usually having a higher sensitivity then larger speakers or if it adjust the EQ settings or what. The way I see it, the reciever probably knows whats best as far as compensating for speaker size.

I'm a fan of more aggressive use of the rear surrounds and clear dialogue so I have the fronts L/R at +0db, the front center at +1 or +2 db, and all three rear surrounds at +3 or +4db.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us