Want to add HT in basement - Advice?

Unregistered guest
'm finishing my basement and want to add a HT area.

Problem is, there's one large room about 16 x 40 feet. The theater area would be in the center of it, about 12 x 16 feet, but would not be enclosed, as on one side would be a pool table and the other side of the large room is the entrance and some seats/bookcases.

I'd like to set up something with option to be HDTV ready, thinking a ceiling mount projector?, and keep costs down as much as possible.

Would a theater in a box offer enough power for audio in such a space? I'm not looking for a super system, just something to watch movies and football on, and that's not real overpowering.

I welcome all suggestions as to what components I could get, and the pros and cons of them. Let me know if I've given enough info or if more is needed. Thanks for any info or direction you can provide!

here's a quick and dirty sketch of the area:
photobucket.com/albums/v474/tzzoooma/plan.bmp

Anonymous

You have a good opportunity. I will limit my advice to audio, since I know nothing of projectors.

For good audio, ideally you would have the HT where the pool table is planned. But I can guess there are plenty of advantages of your planned layout. If you don't care much about audio, then a HT in Box will work fine. But if want to produce a good audio experience then you have to spend some money. It's hard to give advice though because it's all so subjective. When I listen to something on a HT in a box, I don't like it at all. But you might not be as picky. I have no idea what your budget is. But I would buy quality components one at a time. You don't have to buy it all at once. You can start with a decent receivers, a DVD player, and two speakers.

I think you should buy a decent subwoofer. That large of a space requires it. Again, I don't know your budget, but decent 10" subs start at around $400. Also, floorstanding speakers with at least 6.5" midrange speakers will provide quality sound. Larger speakers don't have to overpower to impress. And don't skimp on the center channel. Lastly, you could mount a pair of smaller surround speakers directly to the sides of the listening area. Or second pair of towers, ideally the same as your fronts would be an option to the sides of your listening area.

If you want to keep costs down, buy only the decent speakers you can afford. So just three speakers for your front area to start. Then add surround speakers and a subwoofer later. To do the whole thing right it would cost you at least 1-2k for audio. A decent receiver has Pro Logic II and has plenty of power. A decent one costs around $300-600.

I would buy speakers in this order, as your budget allows: 2 Floorstanding (or bookshelf) speakers for your mains. Matching center channel next (same brand, same line of speakers, but get their center model). Then add a subwoofer. Lastly two more speakers for your surrounds (sides). Don't bother with rear speakers because your back is against a wall.

There are many good brands of speakers. Best buy and Circuit City carry a bunch. I use Polk speakers and like them. Polk RTi speakers are good (I use RTi8), so are their R30 and R50 models. If you go with Polk, I recommend the CSi3 or CSi5 as your center. Ebay is a great place. Stay away from Sony and Bose speakers.. they aren't very good. Buying speakers from the same brand, and even same line is best. Except for the subwoofer - don't try to match brand for the sub. Velodyne, HSU and SVS are some great subwoofer companies.

Using decent speakers will not create an overpowering experience unless you choose to crank the volume. I like good powerful speakers at low or moderate volume level. When watching football and baseball you can hear EVERYTHING. It's like you are there. My HT is for music and HD sports, movies are only occasional. Anyway, good luck.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us