Newbie Questions, Cables Mainly

Username: Tombiowami

Post Number: 1
Howdy,I am new to getting a home theater setup. I love movies but had resisted getting equipment due to price. Since the recent drops in price though I have succumbed. I have a Yamaha YHT-150 theater in a box system and a cheapo Apex DVD player; I am already amazed at how good it sounds compared to what I have been watching, geez. I am getting ready to buy a 32" flat screen Sony tv, not hd or anything super fancy.

All components are right next to each other in a cabinet, and I have digital cable. Would purchasing highend cables provide me any major uptick in picture/sound quaility? I did get some thick guage speaker cables as the ones that came with the system were horrendous and I could tell a big difference there, I also got a subwoofer cable and could tell a difference on that as well.

For the rest of the cables that connect the dvd/receiver/tv I am using what I assume are generic cables at the low end of the totem pole. I have read around a good bit but am still not quite making heads or tails of what I need and how much better my picture or sound would really be. My den where the system is runs about 15'x20' and I am not looking for perfection but if I can spend 50$ for a few nice cables for a major improvement I will do it. Considering I am only spending 1000$ on the whole setup though I don't want to layout a bunch more for a minor improvement. Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

Tommy
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us