Sony Subwoofer Hookup

Anonymous

I just replaced my Sony K660P with a Sony STR DE897. I planned to use my existing Sony Speakers. Problem is the subwoofer is prewired with a negative and positive wiring connection while the new receiver only as an imput for a single RCA plug. How do I proceed?

Unregistered guest
Dear Sir/ Madam,
I have purchased a DVD Player- DVP NS575 and my dealer offered the subject Subwoofer alone for a good price. The subwoofer comes alone without any speakers attached.
Please advise:
Is Subwoofer is self powered?
or will I need an Amplifier?
Can I connect speakers to this Subwoofer directly?
What speakers are suitable for this Subwoofer?
I wish to build a good Home theatre system but am a bit tight on budget now. Kindly advise if I can go for the above Subwoofer and build a 5.1 or 2.1 channel system.

Kind regards,

Bimal Jose

USA2K4
Unregistered guest
A passive (non-powered) subwoofer has only speaker-level inputs and outputs with positive and negative terminals. You would connect the speaker outputs from the receiver or amplifier to the inputs on the subwoofer then connect the satellite speakers to the subwoofer's outputs. You can use any small speakers that can go down to about 80Hz or so with it because the crossover frequency of those passive subwoofers are normally around 80-100Hz or so.

The active (powered) subwoofers have line-level (RCA) inputs and many would have both speaker-level & line-level inputs for more flexible setup. The RCA jack that you see on an active subwoofer should be connected to the LFE (Low Frequency Effects) jack on the A/V receiver. Active subwoofers should be used for Home Theater systems to take advantage of the bass management or LFE that the A/V receivers provide.

If you can't find the AC power cord from the subwoofer, it must be a passive subwoofer :-) . If you want to use an old passive subwoofer with the LFE jack on the A/V receiver, you can connect an old amp or receiver to the LFE jack then connect the subwoofer to this old amp/receiver. It will not work as well as an active subwoofer because you won't be able to adjust the cut-off frequency or change the phase but at least you can still make some use out of it while looking for a new active sub. :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us