6Ohm speakers to 8Ohm amp???

Unregistered guest
Hi guys just bought a pair 0f 6 Ohm Speakers for my amp. It puts out 8 Ohms. Is it ok for me to hook the two up, or do i need to run them in series or parallel??
I just dont want to cause my amp to overheat or blow. The speakers are only for outside, its my hometheatre amp so these are just the secondary output on the back so not getting a whole lot of use but would like to crank them up when i got freinds around. If you could help me that would be great.

Username: Postalj

Post Number: 9
first thing would be to check if there is a switch on the back of the receiver. sometimes you can lower the impendance a little more than 8 ohms. if not then you will have to decide between risking the amp or taking the safe route. The amp may be able to handle it, if it is decent, and as long as there is enough attentuation at the volume control (don't turn it up too loud), but it may not. The safe route (and best) would be to try to mach impedance. If you got another set of speakers and hooked them up in series than you would be safe. If this is what you want to do, than you have to decide what the second set of speakers you want to have would be. If the impedance is different, you will have different volumes between the two speakers. (pair 1 and 2) The easiest route would just to get a pair of the same ones, connect them in series, and just have to turn the volume up a little bit more, to get enough current to drive both loads. if you want to get fancy there are other ways, but that's up to you.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us