Onkyo - HT240 -any recommendations?

Confused240
Unregistered guest
Hi,

I have a Harmon Kardon AVR230. I was looking out for a satellite speaker system. How would an Onkyo SKS-HT240 go with it?

It is rated very highly in C-net. But at the same time I don't know how Onkyos are with respect to speakers. Thanks for your input.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1879
What is your budget for speaker systems. I would stay away from Onkyo speakers. They make great receivers, but speakers are not their specialty.

Confused240
Unregistered guest
Berny,

Don't have much of a budget. Looking for something around 400 bucks. Would you be able to suggest something? Thanks.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1885
check out the Fluance. I've tried it and given them as gifts to my nephews. Excellent bang for the buck.
http://www.fluance.com/fluan5speaks.html

Username: Jongordo8

Post Number: 5
would these be comparable to wharfedales?

I have a Denon AVR 1602 and am in the market for a 5.1 system and have a budget of 500.

Will these fluance speakers be able to perform well with 70x5?

I noticed that these only come in beech and that they also do not have a sub...can you suggest a sub to match this system?

Thanks in advance.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1908
Yes, the Fluance will be able to handle the Denon without problems. Check their website, they just came out with subs.

Username: Jongordo8

Post Number: 6
Sounds good...I think I am going to have to pick one of these up.

My brother in law currently has a yamaha htr 5450 (80x5) that is not working, he is going to take it in and see how much it will cost to get fixed. If it is too expensive than he is just going to drop money on a yamaha htr 5730 (103x5) and than get speakers for his home theatre upstairs...will both of these recievers also work well with the fluance SX-htb?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1922
Yes, i have yet to see a receiver that can't handle the Fluance.

Username: Sidmaestro

Post Number: 6
berny, whats your opinion of the Onkyo HT240 speakers? I was thinking of going with that and a Yamaha receiver (leaning towards HTR-5790)

Are Polks better? I like the Polks RM6900 and they just came out with two brand new floor speakers RM7400 which seem to be really good
http://www.polkaudio.com/home/products.php?category=21&speaker=402

Any advice?

Sid

Gold Member

Post Number: 2443
I like the Polks better than the Onkyo speakers. Others will disagree, but that opinion is based on my experience, your mileage may vary.

cheers

Bronze Member
Username: Earful

Post Number: 52
Do fluance have any type of trial period?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2444
I believe 30 days.

Post Number: 7
Berny - another question...Am starting to get a bit "educated" in this area...Is it true Onkyo is known more for its receivers than its speakers? So that way it may be better to go with a company better known for its speakers (i want something at least for the next 5 years)

Also I did some research yesterday and came across an interesting company ..RBH Sound. How would you compare the RBH to say the Polk? Here are my final 4 candidate speaker systems right now:

1. Onkyo HT240
http://www.athenaspeakers.com/micra6tech.htm

3. Polk RM7400 System
http://www.polkaudio.com/home/products.php?category=21&speaker=403

4. RBH AC Series 2
http://www.rbhsound.com/acsystem2.shtml

I would really appreciate your advice

Sid

Gold Member

Post Number: 2455
Yes, I believe Onkyo known for its receivers, not speakers. Going with a company that specializes in speaker building is a better avenue to take.

I've only heard the RBH AC5T and I was duly impressed and it would be an unfair comparison with a mini system like the Micra 6. But given the choice, I would pick the RBH, then Polk, then Athena (if you have a limited budget, it is hard to beat).

If you have the means, get the RBH Towers:-)

Bronze Member
Username: Turkish621

Post Number: 17
Sid, The RBH look nice, but they are $2000 speakers. You cannot compare them to $400 HT240's.
Berny, did you say that the Athena's are hard to beat at the price?

Post Number: 8
Ben, actually...the RBH AC series is now a year and half old (came out in 2003)...i called a couple of places...its MSRP was $1750, but you can get it for $1200...

RBH also has a HTIB with small speakers, but from what I have read the sound is WAY ABOVE the avg HTIB...They are called the CT Series...You can read about them here:
http://www.rbhsound.com/ctseries.shtml
These go from $700-$1100 or so

Lastly, I have heard in the mini systems..Athena Micra 6 (at Best Buy) is supposed to pretty good (I plan to go check these out this weekend)

I also have started looking at Polk...the RM6800 (last year's model) is about $600-$700 and the RM6900 is about $900-$1000 (Very nice looking)

Note, RBH, Athena, Polk are all well known for speakers...apparently Onkyo isnt that well rated in speakers (it could be the HT240 is a great product)

I am still researching and plan to go listen to a few of these before I decide.

Bottomline, everyone keeps telling me, if you need to, cut short on fancy cables/receiver features, but get as good speakers as you can...

Sid

Bronze Member
Username: Turkish621

Post Number: 21
Sid, yeah that makes sense. It looks like your budget is much more then mine. My original budget was $500. But now I am leaning toward 700. I think that I am going to buy the HK AVR-235 with the Onkyo SKS-HT520 speakers. Then in a few years upgrading the speakers if I need to. I just have really been taken by the new HK line, both by the performance, and the looks.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2458
Ben,
Yes, the Athena Micra 6 can be had for less than $500, and not a lot of speakers in the same class can beat it at that price.
I think the Micra 6s went on sale for $350 around the end of December.

Username: V2vaughn

ATLANTA, GEORGIA USA

Post Number: 5
Desperate !
I found a Denon 1804 demo for $300 at Hi-Fi Buys.The Denon may not last long only one available My room is huge 14wx22Lx12h. I CAN NOT AFFORD the system needed to fill the room properly
I have boiled it down to Onkyo HT240 $300 at B&H or the Fluance SX HTB $259.00.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us