DTS-ES problems

Unregistered guest
I have the Onkyo HT-S770 6.1 system. When I first set it up I was using one of the newer Progressive scan PS2s as my DVD player. It sounded perfect while watching Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital EX, and DTS material. While watching DTS-ES encoded material however, frequent pops and crackles can be heard every 5-10 seconds. It sounds perfect in between these occurences and doesn't seem to be affected by the volume level of the unit or the volume level in the scene. This problem along with the poor video quality of the PS2 lead me to switch to the new Samsung HD-841 DVD player. However, the problem persists, leading me to believe that my reciever has problems decoding the DTS-ES format. Does anyone have any input on this?
thanks
drew

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1866
Any popping noise from any receiver is not normal, your receiver is not having problems with DTS materials, there is something inherently wrong with the unit. Have it checked or replaced.

Username: Drew_and_not_u

Wilmington, NC United States

Post Number: 3
that's the thing, this is the second one I've had. I exchanged the first one for a couple of problems,including the DTS-ES problems. =(

Gold Member

Post Number: 1880
Have you tried changing your audio cables??

Post Number: 4
yeah, I replaced the included 20 guage wiring with accoustic research 16 guage. It still pops and crackles from every channel, otherwise I might have thought it was a bad connection. The audio runs to the reciever through an opticle cable, so I don't know what the deal is. =(

Gold Member

Post Number: 1898
Actually I was referring to the optical audio cable. These things are fragile and any kinks in the line will break the connection from the inside.

Post Number: 5
I see. It seems to me though that if it were the optical cable all of the digital audio would suffer from the same effects. I'll try switching it with another just be sure.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1915
You are absolutely right. You don't have these problems when you play regular dolby digital?

Post Number: 6
none at all, which is what's so confusing. It's only in DTS-ES. DD-EX, DD, and DTS all play fine. What's even more confusing is that this is the second reciever and the third DVD player. I'm at a complete loss as to what to do =(

Gold Member

Post Number: 1921
After you rule out the optical cable, try using a better power supply.
This thing has me stymied!

Post Number: 7
It's funny that you said that, not minutes ago my roommate and I came to the realization that our entire system was all plugged into a $20 surge protector. It's a decent one but it has absolutely no noise isolation circuitry. We're going to go buy one of those Monster power supplies. We came to the conclusion that the video flickering and popping in the audio could be resultant of electromagnetic noise. I don't know why it would only affect DTS-ES, although we have started to notice very rare and very slight pops in other formats as well. But we will get one of these and see how that works out. Anyone have any input on those realy nice Monster noise isolation surge protectors?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1925
I'd be very interested with your results. As far as surge protectors go, I use an APC UPS, works great for me.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Thanks for all of your input, I'll be sure to post the results after I get one.

Dave Apodaca
Unregistered guest
Hello there,

I'm having the same problem with audio with my DTS. I have the same DVD player (Samsung HD841) as you do, so perhaps it's the DVD. I've been trying to find a thread for the last three hours with something about this! My DD works great. My DTS sounds great except for every 3 to 5 minutes I'll get a click or a pop, or a momentarily loss of sound. Almost like when I DVD is changing to the second layer. But happens more then just once a movie! I hate it.
Dave Apodaca

Glenn Compton
Unregistered guest
Responding to Dave and Drew:

I just bought a $1500 Pioneer Receiver and was frustrated with the same problem with the DTS-Es soundfield, random dropouts of the entire soundfield. I spent some time at my dealer last night and couldn't repeat the problem. I went home and switched out the Samsung HD841 with an older and much cheaper Pioneer DVD player - the problem disappeared. I'm pretty annoyed with the Samsung because I've already had it several months and did not have a receiver previously that could test the DTS-ES performance. The Samsung video is much better though, so I might decide to just keep it and not bother with the DTS-ES setting on all 1% of the DVD's that are out there.

I am glad I found this posting, it confirms my hypothesis that it's the Samsung and also lets me know the problem is not isolated to my player alone.

Username: Glenn_compton

Walnut Creek, CA Usa

Post Number: 1
I'd be interested if anyone has any luck either getting their Samsung HD841 repaired or exchanged to remedy the DTS ES problem.

I bought mine at Good Guys and did not buy the extended warranty.

Username: Amstel1

Alpine, Nj Usa

I am truing to install a pioneer vsx-d414 surround sound system...I seem to have have done everything the manual says but I have no sound...I tried a DVD and also tried the test mode on the receiver...I also have a new Onkyo speaker system that I hooked up at the same time..any one with some help would be appreciated...thanks

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
Apparently the firmware update they issued has solved these problems for some people. Unfortunately I have already exchanged the player for a Pioneer 578A, which BTW I LOOOOOVE, and all my problems are solved! The picture, although not quite as sharp as the 841 in 720p mode, looks much more vivid and natural. As for joris, make sure all your inputs are assigned correctly and that you are in the correct modes, without more information thats all I can tell you =\

Username: Laladien

Post Number: 2
This was easily remedied by turning off the PCM downsampling option. This sends the audio data at 96KHz instead of the default 48KHz which seems to cause skipping in the tracks. Doing this easily eliminated the skipping, so if your Dolby decoder can accept 96KHz make sure to turn this option off.

Silver Member
Username: Thx_3417

Bournemouth, Dorset United Kingdom

Post Number: 161
Could be the encoding on the disc as I have come across some that have a spiking sound on Dolby digital mix the split-stereo surrounds had this spiking cracking sound wired! "Saving Private Ryan"

Though when they re-released the film again with a dts mix on it the two digital audio mixes where spot on and free from spiking cracking sounds and I checked it over a few times to make sure it was ok and it was a whole lot better.

Username: Telus

I have marantz sr19ex receiver.It is not a descrete 6.1 How do i hook a rear channel to make a descrete 6.1.I have a spare power amp carver 4.0t.Thank you,MP
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us