More on the 770 - Apologies to all those who wrote me

Bronze Member
Username: Matthew2582

Raymore, MO United States

Post Number: 47
I just got another personal email about 770 issues and as I haven't been around for a while - I thought I would post the message and my reply - as my general way of replying to other personal emails.

The question was this :

> Hey matthew. I was just looking at your opinions about the ht-s770, and I > don't doubt what your saying for a minute. I own the 670, and have found after auditioning the 760 that the cabinets on the 670 are far superior.Smaller, heavier, less resonant material by far next to the cheap thin wood venier cabs on the 760. The problem is, the woofer cones on the 670 are 4" cones, and
although the general tone is denser than the 760, and more detailed, there is very little base kick with music. Could you describe the quality of the
speaker cabinet construction on the ht-s770s. I should have mentioned that my 670 model is an s edition. Though I doubt it, maybe the s models use better cab material than the standard black. Just a thought. Anyway, even though I'm sure your
correct in your assesments of these systems, I am happy with my system, and am thinking of upgrading to the 770, but only if the cabs are improved relative to the 760 version I auditioned, as my 670s has definately been. One thing I can say for the 760. It had a lot more base kick on the fronts, though boomy and airy sounding. Didn't make the sound better than the 670 overall, but if the two aspects (bigger cones, better less resonant construction) are present on the 770, for the prices Iv'e been being offered, I will pass on the 670 to my girl, and take the 770 despite the flaws you mentined. Many thanks for your help and input, and keep up the good, critical reviews. It's really hard to find. You mainly get dummies bragging about their bargains, or talking nonsense about upgrading speaker wire, as though it were a novel idea. Greg."

The reply :

Hi -

I haven't had too much time to post on ecoustics recently as I am trying to build my new 'Home Theater Best Buys' critical website.

But I will reply to your personal message.

Look - things like the size of cone used in the sats is totally meaningless. You have the ability to set your crossover points - and because low-frequencies are only omini-directional up to 100-150hz - you would set your x/over point there. A 3" or 4" cone can, IN THEORY, be reasonably linear - (that means - it can have a reasonably flat response) down to 150hz.

So a manufacturer or a fellow reader on ecoustics saying 'wow the 770's use 6.5" cones" is just ignorant specmanship - please don't be offended by the "strong" language. But ignorant it is. It's like saying "wow, the sub-woofer has a 12" cone" or a "10 inch" blah blah.

The size of the cone is virtually immaterial - as opposed to WHAT the cone is made of, how the cabinets are constructed, the quality of components used in the crossover, the cabinet geometry and stiffness, the internal wiring to the speaker and crossover components.

I do not have the time - sorry - to write a much longer reply as to what makes a really good speaker design - and even then - a "good" speaker design can still sound awful to some ears - believe it or not.

But here are some basic rules - all HTIB and budget speaker systems BY DEFINITION use inexpensive components - that's obvious if you think about it. These systems are cheap for a reason right ?

But Rule 1 is - a denser cabinet (ie. stiffer, more inert) with cheap components will sound better 9 times out of 10 than a "boxy" cabinet with cheap components - and that's because cabinet design is HUGELY influential on sound quality.

Rule 2 - decide if YOU are happy with the sound you are getting from AUDIO cd's. Forget me, your neighbors or forum members. Listen to something you know well and that you know is well-recorded. Eminem won't cut it - not that you suggested that ! An example would be Dire Straits "Brother In Arms" - this track is very revealing for high-end and bottom-end accuracy.

(BTW- bass "kick" as you put it - is not a function of your sats - it is a function of the transient response of your sub-woofer - mainly. The sub-woofer on the 770's was especially 'boomy', 'colored' and 'one-noteish' in this respect - meaning it showed a lousy cabinet and a very indifferent woofer - but boy, what a BIG woofer it has :-)

Here's what you can say about your 670 - the receiver is fine. Your CD source I cannot comment on as you don't mention it. The speakers - well - listen to material in the way I suggested.

If you want to upgrade your speakers - then go and listen to something you really like and CAN'T afford - and then try to find something that sounds like it. If you want to take a flyer - go for the Fluance SX-HTB's which are totally knock out in design, component quality, appearance and construction. A huge bargain.

Good luck

Matthew

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us