Could someone please humor a beginner's question?

Username: Papasmurf

Post Number: 4
I'm looking at entry-level HTIB packages in the $300 range... particularly those lacking integrated DVD players since I already have one. I'm confused as to why the specs for some of these non-DVD HTIB receivers seem to lack video input/output (e.g. Yamaha YHT-150) whereas others have either or both S-video/component-video input/output. Are these specs reliable?

Now for the most naive part of my question... why would one want to run the video from the DVD through the receiver rather than straight into the TV?

Thanks.

Bronze Member
Username: Os2dude

Marietta , GA USA

Post Number: 33
This has been covered in various older topics, but in a nutshell it boils down to this these reasons:

1: Your TV is hooked to MONITOR OUT and the receiver switches inputs instead of your TV. (Otherwise you have to switch the TV video source and the Receiver audio source.)

2: Your TV does not have a maching input type and the receiver can convert from one to another.
(I.E. VCR is composite while TV is S-Video. Receiver has composite inputs and s-video monitor out.)

3: You have a receiver with multi-zone A/V. (See 1 & 2, but for multiple locations.)

Username: Papasmurf

Post Number: 5
Thanks!

Username: Seenalot

Post Number: 7
I would check out Onkyo. They have awesome products for a cheap price.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us