DTS problem

Username: Graydragon

Post Number: 1
I have a Pioneer VSX-D514 receiver and a rca dvd player. Both are DTS capable. I have the audio hooked up with a coaxial cable. My problem is that when I play a dts track in a movie I get no sound but it plays fine in dolby digital. My receiver shows me on the front if it is receiving a dts signal and it never does. I have the dvd player set to use dts and digital signals. I was wondering if the coaxial is good enough or if it needs a optical cable. Thanks for any help

JamesCB
Unregistered guest
The cable is not the problem.

You can confirm that you are getting Dolby Digital by the appropriate light on your receiver?

If you choose the dts track from the DVD movie menu, do you get no sound(no dts)?

Are you sure the DVD has a dts track?

James

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1837
is the receiver on auto detect?

Post Number: 2
Yes the receiver is on auto detect. In answer to JamesCB question I get no sound when I select dts in a movie. In dolby digital I get full surround like it should. It is only the DTS that is giving me the problem.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1839
When you say the dvd player is set to DTS, did you mean, you actually went to the set up menu of the dvd player, without any dvd in the machine?
DVD players do not come from the manufacturer with the DTS signal output activated. It has to be done during initial set-up. Check your manual for more details.

Post Number: 3
It has a check box in the menu for dts and Dolby digital and both are checked.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1846
wow, I'm stumped!

Gold Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 2475
Robert,

Try unchecking the options in the player menu. To get DTS, the player should be giving a PCM stream to the receiver, not knowing itself what the format is. The receiver then decides which format it is receiving, and decodes it automatically. The checkboxes may be overriding that by bringing in the player's decoders, which is what you would choose if you were using analogue outputs to the receiver.

Gold Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 2476
Robert,

Try unchecking the options in the player menu. To get DTS, the player should be giving a PCM stream to the receiver, not knowing itself what the format is. The receiver then decides which format it is receiving, and decodes it automatically. The checkboxes may be overriding that by bringing in the player's decoders, which is what you would choose if you were using analogue outputs to the receiver.

Post Number: 4
Thanks everyone for the help but I finally found the problem. Apparently the dts circuit in the dvd player burnt out or was faulty from the factory. A new dvd player solved all my problems. Thanks again for all the help.

Unregistered guest
Dear sir ,
we r going to construct new theatre with
DTS sound system.
so we require a complete dts system setup
diagrame. so kindly provide a dts system setup diagrame
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us