Change system for better??Please Help

Username: Sir_wantalot

Post Number: 1
Hey- First Post!!
cabin fever is setting in! I've been researching for a 50" LCD but decided to wait till next year.
Found this site and after skiming around I came up with a new idea to upgrade my system. Thoughts
of buying new speakers, sub woofer, or amp. I have the following set up: Yamaha RXV2095, Boston Acoustics VR970 towers, VR12 center, and old KLH 31 for rears. I don't have the LFE line supplied to the powered towers, just monsterXP cable straight to the speakers and a nice heavy grey monster cable to the center speaker. I read alot about Paradigms with Yam. Should I change my
speakers? Is it worth upgrading to a heavier cable for the two towers? LFE lines? External amp? And I know the KLH's have to go! Just thoughts to better what I have or change for the best. I can justify $2,000. plus the money from selling removed item to wifey. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. If a speaker change, My wife and myself would love a furniture wood finish. Thanks again.

Username: Project6

Post Number: 144
i would change the klh for the Boston Acoustics for the VRS Pro or the VRS Micro.

Post Number: 2
Thanks for responding. That's what I wanted to get but now I'm thinking if I should make a big change and get all new speakers. I can easily sell my B.A.'s . I have too much time on my hands! Open to all suggestions so don't hold back!

Post Number: 153
well, if you are changing the speakers, i would gravitate toward warmer sound or laid back speakers, due to the yamaha receiver being as forward as it is and tad bright for my hearing.
i think that the B+W 600 series speakers should tame that brightness as well as the Paradigm Studio series.
cheers

Post Number: 3
OK, this maybe it!
After reading alot of posts I realize I can be doing alot better. How 'bout starting all over?
I can sell my equip.(RXV2095, VR970, VR12, KLH31's and a nice 3 piece enter. center.) ANY suggestions for a receiver and surround speaker set in the $5,000. price range? Powered receiver or external amp?

Post Number: 165
wow, your cabin fever must be worse than I thought...not necessarily a bad thing but, with that budget I would get the Outlaw Audio 950/7100 combo for $1598, check this
http://www.outlawaudio.com
combined with the Axiom Audio Epic 80 Home Theater speakers for $2413...
http://www.axiomaudio.com/epic80.html
your total would be $4011, nicely under budget.
let us know what you decide, it's always exciting to know of someone getting a new system together.
cheers

Post Number: 166
oh, and there's the NAD T773, an excellent receiver that can be had for under $2k and would go well with the Axioms, too
cheers

Post Number: 4
Berny,
The Axiom page states that Epic 80 system is suited for larger rooms of 4000-8000 cu. ft.
My room is appx. 2200 cu. ft. Is my room too small? Should I go with the 2 fronts on stands or
stick w/ towers? I am planning on moving within
5 yrs. lol

Post Number: 168
that it is! How about the Epic 50...should sound great in your room. I'm not too keen on speakers on stands, I think its missing something. Here's your excuse to get a bigger bonus room, hah!
http://www.axiomaudio.com/epic50.html
and also you may want to try out their home theater wizard, that way it can customize a system for you, specially if want to venture into the 6.1 or 7.1 channels
cheers

Post Number: 5
Berny-
Thanks for keeping this going. I have a buyer for all my speakers. I like the looks and reviews of the Epic 60's package. Maybe upgrade
to the VP150 center. Why are nobody talking about these speakers? The Outlaw seems like a
sure winner. Especially when both companies offer
a risk free trial. I haven't read about the NAD T773 yet, but if it was your purchase what would you do? Also what wires to connect with? I would assume Axiom but ya'll know better then me! One more thing, What's a good price to sell my RXV2095 for in mint condition? Thanks again and my new set-up will be purchased within the next month. Very soon, but these forums make narrowing down your choices for the best value and QUALITY...

Post Number: 184
the axioms have had a favorable review among a lot of hobbyists and very well accepted in a lot of audio circles. It is a direct sale so there is few advertising if any at all, keeps the costs down, which is good for us.

I am both an Outlaw Audio and a NAD fan and it would be a tough choice. The thing that pushed me over to the Outlaw Audio was that they were separates, and the Amp unit is a really solid performer.

As far as wires are concerned, I use a lot of Monster cable, because I can get them for cheap. Here is an excellent source of cables
http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?&DID=7&WebPage_ID=59

and here is a good article to read about cables
http://audioholics.com/techtips/audioprinciples/cables.htm

I don't like to spend a lot of money on wires, however, I don't want them built cheap neither. And it is one area that will not spend too much time dwelling on. Its big business and you may end up getting caught in all the hype and nonsense, and believe me, a lot of people get swayed.

As far as your RXV2095, the best place to assess what it would go for would be to visit audiogon.com they sell all kinds of audio equipment and you can gauge the market by looking in there.

Let us know when you get all your gear in and do a little review.

cheers

Silver Member

Post Number: 230
Bryan,
How is that cabin fever comin' along?

Post Number: 6
Hey Berny,
I am going to order the Axiom Audio Epic 60's and upgrade the center to the VP150 (all boston cherry finish). Outlaw video furniture OASE-V3 42" w/ 1 add-on shelf in red mahogany. I like this piece because it's only 19.5" deep, and w/ the add-on shelf it raises my tv to 31.5" high. It can hold a lot of components and looks sturdy.
Monster HTS 1000 MKII powercenter. That will be
my first order(this month).
I will run my RXV2095 and soon upgrade to the 950/7100 combo(sometime this year).
Next year the 42" to 50" TV. Probably Sony rear projection LCD. But we'll see what technology and value brings.

The future looks good!

Silver Member

Post Number: 238
indeed it does! Lookin' for that review/eval/brag, real soon ;-)
cheers
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us