I don't know smack about HDTV, please help.

Username: Jer

Post Number: 2
I bought a Sony Projection KP-51HW40 51" TV from my friend. He said it was an HDTV monitor. I have it hooked up to my regular DTV (non-HDTV) and the picture sucks. It is capable of 720p and 1080i according to the manual. It does not have the DVI plug in the back, but does have component video-- not the other fancy new HDTV connection, but again the manual says it is capable of up to 1080i and 720p with the appropriate receiver. My question is this:
1: Will any DTV HDTV receiver with component video give me 1080i or do I have to buy Sony...or some proprietary receiver....or one that specifically says component 1080i?
2: Will I be happy with 1080i through component video, or will I see a huge difference when I go back to my friends house with his new HDTV with DVI connection and want to shoot him?
3: Finally, how much better would the sitcoms be with a HDTV receiver running 1080i or 720p through my component video compared to my cheapo DTV receiver that I currently have with s-video and regular rca capability.
4: Oh yeah, one more question. Will there be a big difference between a new DTV HDTV running component video in 1080i vs my new Sony DVD player with progressive scan currently going into the TVs component video.

I do notice a pretty big difference with the DVD vs my current crapy DTV non hd receiver. Would the 1080i be even more noticeable, or just subtle and a waste of money? I just want to buy the cheapest ebay DTV HDTV receiver that will do a really good job and not open it up and find out it "wasn't the right receiver."

Thanks for all your help. Jer
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us