Need help playing DTS on Onkyo 770

photogold
Unregistered guest
I tried playing my first DTS encoded DVD tonight. Actually it is DTS-ES 6.1. When I set the DVD to Dolby Digital 5.1 it works fine. But when I select DTS-ES in the DVD audio setup menu I can't get any sound out of the receiver.

My DVD player display shows that source changed from DD to DTS mode, but the display didn't change on the receiver. I tried changing the "digital input" function on the Onkyo 770 from auto to DTS, but that didn't help either.

My DVD is a few years old. Is it possible that it will not play a DTS-ES, but only DTS material? Yes I am using a digital fiber optic connection between the DVD and receiver. DD works fine, but no sound when dvd is in DTS mode. Any advice? Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1732
check the menu set up of your DVD player. Some DVD players need to have the DTS output activated as it is not on by default, just Dolby Digital.

Bronze Member
Username: Sandiego

Post Number: 17
I'm guessin Berny is right. I had the same problem with a Kenwood receiver about a year ago. Make sure to tell your DVD player in the setup menu that you have a receiver that can decode DTS. You may have to change the audio in your dvd setup from PCM to BIT STREAM. Also, if your DVD player supports DTS than it will support DTS-ES. Good luck, I hope that helps

photogold
Unregistered guest
t works! I did need to go into the DVD player setup menu. There was a somewhat hidden audio setup menu that was not listed in the users manual. I found that the factory default settings had DD on, and DTS was off. I changed it so that both are now on. I can't imagine why there would be a need to ever turn them off? It was strange because even when DTS was off in the DVD player setup, the display would still show DTS if I selected it on the DVD disk menu.

Anyway, thanks for your help!

Bronze Member
Username: 1st61

Post Number: 43
I had tried a few DVDs so far. For DTS I tried Texas Chainsaw Messacre and it showed 3.3.1 and discrete and I got all 6 speakers sound. But for Dolby Digital I never got 3.3.1. Has anybody got 3.3.1 from Dolby Digital?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 44
Another unpleasant sound from bass or sunwoofer. I watched Lord of Ring the the bass sound of huge stone hitting ground or wall was good. But I played musical video and some bass sound is prolonged and continued to sound for few seconds uninterruptly and was not clear cut. e.g when played Billy Jean by Michael Jackson I suffered this problem. I was using a Monster THX woofer cable (got it at $19.95) so the connection shouldn't be a problem. I also cleared the cable from other wire and power cord. I could not do more sofar.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1745
Only on DD-EX.
What subwoofer are you using?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 47
Only on DD-EX. What does that mean? On the manual this receiver is supposed to play DD at 3.3.1. I will try more DVD discs.

I am using the subwoofer came in the box. here is it:
Powered Subwoofer (SKW-520)
Type: Bass-reflex
Input sensitivity/impedance: 330 mV / 100 kΩ;
Maximum output power: 220 W (Dynamic Power)
Frequency response: 25 Hz--150 Hz
Cabinet capacity: 1.35 cubic feet (38.5 L)
Dimensions (W × H × D): 10-13/16" × 20-3/8" × 16-3/16"
(275 × 518 × 411 mm)
Weight: 30 lbs. (13.6 kg)
Drivers unit: 10 inch Cone Woofer
Power supply: AC 120 V, 60 Hz
Power consumption: 150 W
Other: Auto Standby function

And the front speakers are:
Front Speaker (SKF-520F)
Type: 2 Way Bass-reflex
Impedance: 8 Ω
Maximum input power: 130 W
Output sound pressure level: 87 dB/W/m
Frequency response: 55 Hz--50 kHz
Crossover frequency: 4.5 kHz
Cabinet capacity: 0.38 cubic feet (10.8 L)
Dimensions (W × H × D): 7-7/16" × 16-1/2" × 9-5/16"
(189 × 419 × 236 mm)
Weight: 12.1 lbs. (5.5 kg)
Drivers unit: 5-1/4 inch OMF Cone
Woofer × 2
1 inch Balanced Dome
Terminal: Color-coded push type
Other: Magnetic shielding

Bronze Member

Post Number: 48
I found the answer that DD EX only display 3.2.1.

Here is the text from cnet:
Dolby EX is a 6.1-channel format, adding one (or two) rear center-surround channel speakers to the standard 5.1 array. EX can deliver more enveloping surround effects than standard Dolby Digital. EX processing can be used to improve the sound of regular Dolby Digital-encoded DVDs. Unlike DTS ES, Dolby EX features an extra rear channel that's matrix rather than discrete. That's why ES can provide a more precise location for the rear-effects soundstage.

So it's matrix other than discrete. I did see DTS and DTS ES. When it's show DTS ES it's 3.3.1. On this matter DTS is better.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1747
I see you've found the answer for yourself:-)
You may have to calibrate the subwoofer to avoid the unpleasant sound.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 50
The thing is there is no more caliberation. I had tried the subwoofer volume, crossover frequency (I set it to 100 Hz according to the cone of front in the manual), and I cleared the cable away from power cord and other wires. I put it at a position suggested by the manufacturer and maybe I will try to place it at another place.

Anonymous

I'm trying to play 8 mile with Eminem in it and it states it has DTS 5.1 on it but when I go to my settings in the Onkyo 770 receiver I only get the Dolby D settings... I never get the DTS settings as it states in the manual. Anyone have any luck with this?

I still haven't been able to make it go 3/3.1 for any of my movies yet. Anyone have a movie that does do this? Anyone know of a list of where I can find movies that are recorded in 6.1?

Thanks!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us