Coaxial vs. Optical, Component vs. S-Video

Username: Pyggy

Post Number: 1
I was wondering if there would be any real difference noticed on my tv (its not hdtv) from S-video to Component video. Also, on the back of my reciever, i have one optical audio input, and one coaxial input, but i have 3 things that i want to hook up back there. Which brings me around to my final questions. Is there some sort of universal system selector that includes Component/s-video and optical/coaxial audio inputs for a somewhat reasonable price? Should I get S-video or component? Coaxial or optical?

Thanks -

pyggy

Username: Sandiego

Post Number: 7
I'm not sure if they make a "universal system selector" but I can tell you that using component cables will look a little better than S-video but don't expect a big difference on a standard tv. I wouldn't buy real expensive monsters or anything just go to Target and spend 8 - 10 bucks on basic component cables.
On the issue of optical vs coaxial, I have used both and never been able to tell a difference. Some people will tell you that optical is better, and maybe there is something to that because any high end dvd player seems to have opt instead of coax. However, like I said I can't tell any difference what so ever.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1710
Jascha,
Yes you will notice a difference between s-video and component even if your tv is not HD.
First, before I recommend any selector, what is it that you are actually trying to do?
How many video inputs do you have on your tv? I don't mean how many video jacks you have, but when you hit the video button, how many selections do you have?
The reason I ask is because there are tv sets that have 3 ways to hook up video on only 1 video bank. For example on video 1 input you have the capability to hook up a composite, s- video, and component video. In this example, you can only hook up 1 type of video source and not all 3 types as it will cause conflict in the signals and the result will be no video signal on your tv at all. Clarify that and we can check on a solution that will work for you.
cheers

Username: Pyggy

Post Number: 2
I have 3 a/v channels. Let me try to explain further what i am trying to accomplish here.

I only have one set of component video jacks in the back of my tv. I dont want to have to constantly keep switching them around if i want to play movies, ps2, or xbox. THe same thing goes for my coxial audio input in the back of my reciever, again; 1 jack, 3 systems. WHat is my best option?

I have had system selectors in the past, but those use the standard av cables (red/white/yellow), i was wondering if there were any out there with the RGB and then Orange. If there is a better option, please tell me.

Thanks

Jascha

Scotty2Hotty
Unregistered guest
I have heard often that for most purposes, there is no difference in sound between coax and optical (spdif).

Coax is cheaper to buy than optical, however... :-)

Bronze Member
Username: Jdsaenz1

Post Number: 75
For multiple sources trying to get to one set of component video inputs (and digital audio inputs) in the back of your tv, I found this on the web when I googled "component switchbox":

http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/comp-vid-sw.html#2x1

This manufacturer has several models, some with more inputs than others, and most with remote controls, too. Hope this helps!

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1711
Try this place and look for different kinds of video switches.
http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?&DID=7&WebPage_ID=3

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 721
I recently bought a Toshiba 32" HDTV and hooked up my dvd player with both s-video and component cables. At least on that tv from a variety of movies their was no discernable difference in picture quality at all. On a analog set it makes sense to just use a s-video cable. I am not ready to go high def yet due to the lack of program material available and have in fact reinstalled my old Philips analog set for now as the picture is far superior to the Toshiba on analog material. You might wonder why I bought the Toshiba but I do have good reasons why. At least I have it ready when I make the switch.

Post Number: 10
thereal,
Is the DVD player you are using progressive scan? Becuause if it is you won't be able to watch progressive with an S video cable. So you should notcice a nice diference with the components especially with your hdtv

Silver Member

Post Number: 722
Yes, I have the Elite dv45a. What I am saying is on the Toshiba there is no disernable difference between the picture in progressive/component and the picture in s-video. Remember this is only a 32 inch screen so I am not saying there is no difference period, only on a smallish direct view screen. Large screens are a different matter. On dvd's the picture on the analog Philips is better than the Toshiba no matter which way you watch it so I'll be using that for the forseeable future. This is not to say the Toshiba is bad, it's just that for "digital" cable and dvd the Philips is better for now. I'm set for the present and the future.[I hope!].

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
I see what you're saying. I have to 36 inch hd Toshiba and think it looks pretty good in an analog signal. Hope you get you HD hooked up soon

Bronze Member
Username: Jdsaenz1

Post Number: 80
The-real:
This is the same for me (picture quality is comparable using s-video and component on non-hd material). However, the only beneficial use for component would be for HD material, I guess. I wonder if the better analog quality that you're having with your Philips is a 'direct view tube' issue? I understand that this may not be a problem with projection CRT tv's...

Silver Member

Post Number: 726
All I can tell you is that even though both are 32 inch direct view sets the analog Philps has a better picture on analog material. The Toshiba is good also but the Philips I have I always thought was a particularly outstanding tv and in fact was number 1 in Consumer Reports in it's model year.[1998]. I don't pay any attention to CR at all and in fact did not know that until I had the tv for several months.
I guess I should say at this point the reason I bought the Toshiba is that I keep reading that direct view sets will be discontinued soon[big mistake IMO] and I wanted to get one before that terrible day and the Toshiba was on sale for a very low price and it fits my space ok and has a nice deep, flat top for my center channel. It does get a good picture so that's not a problem. It seems to me that the manufacturers have forgotten that many if not most people currently put their centers on top of their tvs but if you look at the new models most have no room for this. I don't understand the thinking here. As I said before I am covered now and for the future in any case.

Jason_T
Unregistered guest
I have a 32" Sony wega anaolog and am updating to the 36" Sony HDTV Hiscan model in March 2005. I will be getting the Sony Home Theater system that has a progressive scan dvd player. Should I use component video? Also My 8mm Sony camcorder is out doing my Digital8 Sony camcorder. Isn't that amazing? Warning to all you new consumers- don't get the Sony Digital8 Camcorders. In low light the picture is dark as hell. I had to adjust my color temperature on my thick, huge 34" Sony to make the picture come in right. Nicole Kidman will be trying to get Oscar nominations for "The Stepford Wives", "Birth", and "Dogville". My guess is the academy will vow for "Birth". AAN GLO BOR

Gator_2004
Unregistered guest
Jascha, Rather than buy that $199 switchbox suggested earlier, invest that in a decent AV receiver and then you will be on your way to a nice surround sound system with the addition of some speakers...Most decent AV receivers have multiple component inputs which would solve your problem.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us