Any suggestions for surround speaker system?

Username: Ub4me

Louisville, KY

Post Number: 2
Hi,guys.

I'm going to buy Onkyo TX-SR502 receiver soon.
And I'm still researching for speaker systems.
Originally I was thinking to buy Onkyo HT-S770. But the size of speakers bothers me a bit.
So, if there is a speaker system whose quality is equivalent or close to Onkyo speakers of HT-S770, I will buy it.
If you have any suggestions, please feel free to make a comment.
My budget is limited to $300 for speakers, and I just saw that Citcuit City has a sale for Sony SA-VE367T (http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sony-Home-Theater-Speaker-System--SA-VE367T-/sem/ rpsm/oid/92862/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do) for $240. Can anyone compare those two systems?

Thanks a lot.

Bronze Member
Username: Hokievt

Post Number: 43
For $300, you may want to consider the Fluance AV-HTB or consider saving some more money.

Louisville, KY

Post Number: 3
Thanks for your nice comment.
According to several reviews, Fluance AV-HTB seems a very good speaker system even though its price is so low.
Did you have any chance to listen to it? If so, can you compare it to Onkyo SKS-HT520 system?
Thanks.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 45
I have the SX-HTB which you can probably get for $300. I got them for $320. I never found any small speakers that could match up musically. My room is a nightmare and small speakers would get lost in it. I listen to 50% music so I went with a larger speaker. Smaller speakers may have worked with movies adequately but I wasn't interested in losing "the stereo".
The HT-520 is probably the best of the best at that price range for HT use.

Louisville, KY

Post Number: 4
I also listen to music a lot. Probably 50-60% including classical and pop, rock.
Do you think Fluance AV-HTB is better than Onkyo HT520 for this purpose?
If so, will I need an active subwoofer for movie watch?
How about this one.
http://circuitcity.com/ssm/MTX-12--Subwoofer--SW2-/sem/rpsm/oid/81414/rpem/ccd/p roductDetail.do

Bronze Member

Post Number: 46
You'll need a subwoofer with the Fluance models.

I would imagine they are close. It would come down to size. If you don't want big speakers, go with the Onkyo. The big speakers kinda get in the way. If that doesn't bother you, go big.

You can also take the $300 and buy a pair of Athena's.

Louisville, KY

Post Number: 5
Thank you, Hokievt.
I really appreciate your comment, and it was helpful.

Anonymous

Hi Guys

I would really appreciate it if I could receive some advice on home theatre system. We really want to get a good system for our home. Everyone has been recommending Yahama for its quality. But I just don't know with so many options on the market. Please help!!!!

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1677
let's start with a budget.

Louisville, KY

Post Number: 8
Can anyone compare sound quality of Onkyo SKS-HT240 to SKS-HT520's?
I like HT240's style and small size even though it is a bit expensive.
Is there a huge difference?

I really appreciate your comment.

Bronze Member

Louisville, KY

Post Number: 12
Today I visited local CC to compare SKS-HT240 to SKS-HT520. Actually HT-S770 and LS-V955.
It was early in the morning and nobody was there, so I was able to check out the sound without interruption.

Firstly, I noticed that HT-S770's mid and low-mid range was better than LS-V955. It was warmer and richer, so it played music better. And I could feel 400W difference between two systems.

However LS-V955's center speaker was terrific during movie watching. The dialogue was very clear and sophisticated. HT-S770's center speaker was somewhat muffled compared to this. However I tended to prefer HT-S770's front speakers over those of LS-V955.

Anyway, I just ordered SKS-HT240 at Macmall for $299.99 + free shipping (after shipping rebate). They said it would be shipped on Noverber 1st.
The main reason to order this speaker system was its style. My wife really pushed me to buy this one over SK-S520 even though it's $120 more expensive.

I will update when I receive it.

Anonymous

Hi guys:We just purchased the yahama dvrs120 home theatre system as an open item and are having trouble locating manuals. Can you help, thanks. Linda

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1755
Have you tried the yamaha website?

Bronze Member

Louisville, KY

Post Number: 16
Here is my update for HT240.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-theater/68286.html

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums