Archive through November 29, 2003

I saw a 5.1 system at Walmart, under the name Durabrand. Does anyone have this system? And if so, what the quality?

Gregg
I got this Durabrand audio package for my father-in-law for his brithday. He got a DVD player for Christmas and was sending the sound through the speakers in his TV.

We wanted to get him a decent 5.1 system and we didn't want to drop 2-grand on a THX audio system. At the time, Walmart had this system for a hundred bucks. We installed it and it blew us away. Watched Harry Potter-2 and Saving Prviate Ryan.

The sound from the cube speakers are loud and clear, the subwoofer makes the house shake. For $89 bucks, you can't go wrong.

I think it sounds better than the 5 KLH speakers I have run from my Aiwa receiver and have been considering buying one of these for myself.

The only downside: the system only accepts a Coaxial input from the DVD player, it doesn't have an optical input jack.

Thank you for responding...I'm glad I got it then :-) I actually only have a coaxial out on the DVD player, but optical on my DirecTv reciver. Radio shack has a converter (optical to coaxial, or coaxial to optical). I was going to get it, but I can't find a splitter (2 coaxial to one).

I have a question about DURABRAND home teather 5.1, my output of DVD (Pioneer DV 354) have only OPTIC DIGITAL and COAXIL jack, the question is The Durabrand have only input COAXIL jack, this jack if for doby digital 5.1 ??? or I need Optical digital input in my home teather. Thanks...

Anonymous
I just bought one of these systems. Mine came with the DVD and when playing a DVD sounds great. The only problem is when I try to use the surround sound with my TV and DirecTV satellite. I don't get any sound through the surround sound. Help!! What am I doing wrong? Do I need to buy additional equipment to get this thing to work with my regular TV viewing?

Ernest
Greetins Anonymous, I purchased the suround system but without the dvd since I had my own. If DirectTV has coax antena and RCA outputs....use the DirectTV coax to your TV's coax antena input, but use the DirectTV RCA connectors to your surrounds system RCA inputs. This means you'll watch DirectTV on your T.V. using channel 3, but when you want the hear the full surround...turn on your surround/you might also have to press on your surround remote "aux" input to hear your system... also don't forget to lower you T.V.'s volume when using the surround system. GOOD LUCK....Keep playing with everything and you'll find a way to make everything work...I know, I did it myself.

Ok
Here's what I did
I've got a RCA DirecTv reciever (digital Dolby) with an optical output DVD player with the digital coax output. I bought a device from Radio Shack ($15) that can switch optical to coax and coax to optical (There's one optical and one coax in and out). I plugged the optical from the RCA, and the coax from the durabrand into this device, and used the coax output in to the Durabrand coax in. There's a switch on the radio shack device that selects optical or coax. It's a bit of a hassle to switch from the RCA and DVD, but I hope it helps. It does allow surround sound from the direcTv, and the DVD, so I guess the small hassle it worth it :-)

Anyone here been able to connect any video game systems to this bad boy and get surround sound, and not the default stereo? I have my xbox, ps2, and gamecube connected to my tv then my tv sending to my stereo, with the inbox audio cables. Any answer would be appreciated!

Bravo 3
AJ: Unless you purchase special adapters for your video game systems that allow them to have digital coax output it will only process stereo sound. (I assume they make adapters like this for XBOX,PS2 and GC but maybe not) In fact nothing will give you true surround sound unless it goes into the digital coax input. Everything else is stereo. The sad thing is that there is only 1 digital coax input on this durabrand system which is why Chris is using the Radio Shack Optical/Coax switch as a splitter (which is a great idea)

Bravo 3
Now for my issue,
My system seems to have SYNC PROBLEMS.

I had been using just the stereo inputs (which work perfectly) but recently tried pluging a DVD player into the digital coax input so I could have DD5.1 surround. The problem is that there is a slight, but noticable, delay between the picture and the sound when listening to the DD5.1 track. It's most noticable when people are speaking fast (their lips move slightly before the words are heard). However this ONLY happens when the sound is set to the Dolby Digital 5.1 track. It does NOT occur when listening to a 2 Channel track OR even a DTS track! Now, since DD and DTS use different processors this leads me to believe that just the Dolby Digital Processor is messed up. So, either:
A. The Dolby Digital Processor is defective on my unit, or
B. Every unit has this problem.

Please check yours to make sure it does not have this problem! Make sure your DVD player is set up for Digital Output (SPDIF/RAW) and that it is playing the DD 5.1 track. Please post your findings here if you do this test. It will be helpful for all.

Meanwhile I will soon try to exchange my unit for a new one (which may not be possible since I purchased it 6/30/03) Either way it would be helpful to know if this is an isolated problem or if it is a faw in all systems. Thank you for reading!

I did the test and didn't haven a problem. Though I do have a question does anyone have a problem when in the dvd mode, when you press the volume button on the remote repeatedly that it changes sources. Thanks,
Joshua DeHaven

please help,
i got a durabrand ht-400 system from walmart off the shelf and didn't get a remote or directions with it i have no clue as to how to set it up does anyone know where i can get the information on it?

I am having a problem with the hookup of my home theater system. When I have the dvd on, the sound is only background music and the voices you can not hear. Also I can not get the surround sound to come through when I am just watching tv. Also where do I hook up the s video wire to- the tv and surround system with dvd or the surround system and cable box?

Anonymous
Hi everyone, I just purchased this system from Wal- Mart and I have problems with the sound. The sound comes in, then goes out. I thought it was a problem with the wiring, but it isnt. Do you suggest that I trade it for a new one, or try something else?

Rude Ska
My Durabrand tv isn't compatible with a universal remote.. what the f.uck????

I checked my system for the lack of sync....I haven't notice a prob, what movie were you watching Bravo3? Maybe I'll watch it too, and check to see if I can reproduce...but I've watched LOTR (both) and star wars (both) and didn't notice a lag...so it may be the processor

Joshua
I've had that problem too, but I _think_ that it might be me, hitting a function button while fiddling with the remote.....since I've been a little more careful, I haven't had that problem in a few weeks...not sure if that is _the_ issue, but the source buttons do seem to be a bit touchy at times

Catherine
Here is the link to the instructions...can't help with the remote, but you'll need it if you want to adjust the volume of the speakers, or want to change sources while sitting down...may want to contact the manufacturer directly for a replacement remote
http://www.lenoxx.com/manuals/ht400/HT400manual110502.pdf

Bravo 3
Here's the conclusion:
I exchanged the unit for another which did the same thing so I took that one back and got my $ back. Now I'm looking for a better (higher priced) HTiB.

When testing the sync problem:
-I tested 2 DVD players(a Classic102, and a SonicBlue) so I'm fairly sure it wasn't the player.

-It is best noticed when you change the audio output on your dvd player to digital/PCM(which is unformated, so it won't be processed by the decoder) and watch a scene. It will be perfectly in sync. Then change the output to digital/RAW (wich is processed by the DD5.1 decoder in the unit and is split into the different surround channels.) and watch the scene again. Try to notice any additional delay. BTW, If your player can output both digital AND analog at the same time(mine can't) you can just play them both at once (through different speakers) and see if you hear any echo.

Some good Two Towers scenes to test are:
-After gollum is grabing for the fish and frodo says to Sam "What do you know about it? NOTHING!"
-When Gandalf says to Theoden "You MUST FIGHT"

As you can see I did quite a bit of research on sync problems. Hope this helps and good luck with your Durabrands everyone!

joel
i am thinking about purchasing a durabrand surround sound system. Can anyone tell me if it is worth the money or is it a cheap one that doesnt work very well.

Kaardoon
Would an RF modulator work when hooking up an X-Box durabrand system, as far as connecting it to the coaxial input and allowing the 5.1 surround sound feature to work properly?

Kaardoon
Uh... hooking up an X-Box to the Durabrand System***

Buckminst
I have the Durabrand HT-400 as well, and I haven't noticed any sync problems so far, though I haven't given it a lot of testing. My player is a Norcent DP-300 using Digital/RAW output.

As for video games, I have my PS2 and my Gamecube hooked up through the unit, and when playing Metroid Prime, with multichannel processing enabled, I get sound on all speakers, and it _seems_ to be surround sound. I am not an audiophile so I can't verify that it is.

Also, my DirecTV receiver seems to output in surround as well, or at least utilizes all of the speakers (though some programs and/or ads don't.) I'm just using a standard box, it's an RCA DRD440RE (getting a TiVo box soon though, so I'll have to look into that optical to coaxial converter)

I must say that for $89 this sound system sounds _GOOD_.

I purchased the Durabrand Surround Sound System With DVD Player STS75E. I hooked it to my tv using the RCA connectors ( I have a RCA Directv but just by passed it straight to the tv) and I have sound from DVD and nothing picture wise but a snowy tv. No sound from tv thru Durabrand. I just have plain old sound from a the DVD movie I stuck in the DVD Player and thats it. I have checked the connection instructions and rechecked them. Suggestions? Then, after I fix this I want to tie my Directv system in there somehow? HELP !!!!

Is the sub-woofer powered. Shoot me an email.

Hello Everyone,

I have a problem. I hope someone can help. I bought the Durabrand dvd home theatre system from walmart, the one they have going for $98, and the problem I have is that whenever I play usally any dvd, the picture dims and brights during the whole thing. Its odd. At the inital durabrand dvd player screen it does not do it, but once a dvd is played it will pluse slowly from dark to light.
Hmmm.
I would appreciate any help.
Thanks

Angrystan
Hmm Odd,
I got the same thing from my first DVD player. A technically inclined buddy told me to get a RF converter in lieu of playing it through the VCR ... I thought he was nuts, but after another month I followed his advice.

The difference in picture quality is astounding. BTW, I'm using the S-Video into the RFC.

J MacDonald
I have a durabrand tv for my son. Looking for a universal remote, but durabrand is not listed on the listings of TV brands. Is there another brand I can use to find the code for durabrand? Anything compatible??

Tested out this weekend, the sound is really good for the price. This is perfect for bedrooms and mid-size living rooms.

I just bought a durabrand home theater from walmart and I get great sound out of the front speakers and middle but nothing from the rear.I have direct tv,I don't know if that has something to do with it.Also don't get anything on my dvd player it acts like it is not even hooked up.Any suggestions?

Anonymous
If anyone has the STS75E DVD Player with their Durabrand, does it play MP3 CD's? Does it play CDR/RW? Can it play WMA's?

Thank you,
Max

Anonymous
You get what you pay for, how can anyone say a hundred dollar stereo( surround sound system...LOL) is good for midsize living rooms. It kills me that there is space being wasted online on a forum like this, I had to laugh!

Hi, I bought the Durabrand STS75E DVD player and Home theater yesterday from Walmart (impulse buying :))

DVDs and Audio CDs play great, can someone tell me if this thing will play VCDs and WMAs. I tried a VCD but the display says invalid disc.

Inputs will be highly appreciated.
\clipart {smile}

I don't believe VCDs work on the STS75E dvd player...I opted out for a cheapie AMW dvd player that plays VCD and SVCD and the HT-400 speakers. $130 for this system setup certainly puts a smile on my face, not sure why "anonymous" would waste his/her time flaming the whole forum, oh well :)

OK, l'm having the same problem, but l saw no posted solution..... on my Durabrand 5.1 vcr/dvd - I get no surround sound from the rear speakers from my DirecTV - only when I play a DVD. Is there a solution? Should I return it?

"I get no surround sound from the rear speakers"

Just grab your HT-400's remote and press the surround botton, BAM now the rear are working!!!

Derek J
system is pretty good for the money, although after having some surround sound now it makes me want to invest more and get a real home theater system :)

it's great for a bedroom (what i use it for) or a small apt; the sound quality is excellent! i don't have any sync problems and i just upped the volume on the rear speakers--makes watching DVDs much more enjoyable.

only problems: sub isn't powered, a little disappointing aspect of it. also, the video pass-through is a little iffy--on some DVDs it loses the signal (i think on really bright screens, I was watching the Matrix and when Morpheus is first showing Neo the matrix, the backgroudn is all white and my tv was going crazy triyng to find the signal)--so on these dvds i just put the video cable straigth to the tv.

for $85, it's definitely worth it, but it makes you want to spend more to get something nicer :)

Anonymous
Anyone know about a code for the universal remote....... I have no idea and really need to know...help please

Anonymous
Can you buy the speakers seperatly? I looked around and can't find them. I'm looking for inexpensive speakers for about $150. Any suggestions?

hey anonymous just go buy the ht-400 all together it is only 89.99! if you have a reciever and are looking for speakers you can get better ones for $150 because you are not paying for the reciever. Klh and jensen have speakers for 100.00-150.00.

NeuroManson
The Durabrand/Venturer STS75E has the same DVD player as the Venturer STS21AAS-10. Here's the remote hacks I've tested and found to work:

Region free hack:

Open the tray
Press 8, 1, 3, 2 and 8
The region menu will appear, then press enter until region 9 is selected and press Play
The unit will now be multi region.

VCD playback:

To play VCDs, open the tray, press 0, 0, 0, 1, and press play.

Hope this helps, I know for myself, my little cheapo $89 home theater system just became a little more valuable.

Steve
I am thinking of buying the Durabrand Surround Sound System With DVD Player STS75E and wanted to know if anyone tested NeuroManson VCD playback "hack" or method. Playing vcd's is something i am looking for since i have many home videos made as vcd? Any help anyone can provide to or info about if this dvd player can play vcd's (or svcd) would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Anonymous
I recently bought the Home System with the DVD player for $89.00 from Wal-Mart. But, I'm not getting the sound out of it that my buddy is getting out of his. Can the room be too big? The Sub is not Booming like I thought either. I had the Option w/DVD or without DVD for $4.00 difference. Didi I get the wrong one ? Should I have gotten the one w/o DVD? Help me Out Please

Anonymous
when you said the sound out of it that ur buddy is, does he have the same setup?

Hey i bought the Durabrand system from Walmart and it can play most VCD and everything else you want it to play. I'm not supposed to say because its illegal but you half to change your DVD Player from Region1 to Region 9. Anyone want to no how email me and i'll tell you. demario17@hotmail.com

I just bought a Durabrand HT-395 from Walmart and it sounds alright with AV cable plugged in, but when I connect the coaxial cable to my DVD player it cuts out or "pops" a lot almost like the DVD is skipping. But I tried with several DVD's with same result. Anyone else had this problem?

John

DUDE_Minneapolis
Hey I bought this from walmart for like $98 and just love it. I connected it the way the manual said and it worked the first time around .. GREAT !! I played DVDs, Audio CDs and MP3s they all worked simply GREAT !! I also played a CD with JPEG from my digital camera and it worked like a charm.

One question though.. I have a old TV which I have connected using a RF modulator. How can I enable the sound of my TV (cable) to come through the Home theater speakers? Any help on this will be appreciated.

tony
i bought the Durabrand Surround Sound System With DVD Player STS75E at walmart today it play dvd's cd cdr's great but i can't get the sound from the t.v to work help please! I'll really appreciate it.

G-money
To play the sound of the TV you will have to use the output source of the tv if your tv doesn't have one u can use the VCR as the receiver for the cable/Antenna. You will get sound stereo on your surround system.
Using prologic option will alow to simulate the 5.1 surround.
Remember 5.1 only with the digital coaxial.
It is a very cheap way to get a cool sound and impress the girls that come to watch some movies...

Mpsl
My TV does not have any Audio output jacks and I do not have a VCR, is there a way I can get the TV sound through the DVD speakers? or am I stuck with buying a VCR to make the TV sound work?

Any help appreciated.

Anonymous
You are all a bunch of mother facken retards, anyone knows that an audio system from walmart is gonna suck donky dink, If you have any idea about audio go to a store like visions, or future shop, and think about the name "Durobrand" it's THE WORST NAME IN ELECTRONICS, so you pay under a hundred bucks and expect to get high quality sound, surround, support for all connections and modes, Jesus Christ can you make pictures fall of your walls, I personally own a pair of Klipsch Reference 3 ll's (not expecting you to know of them) but they are a very high name, 1400 for the speakers themselves, the Klipschs'15 inch sub M.S.R.P. is $3000!!!!! WTF do you expect, if you want good audio and I mean good as in decent, go with the Logitech Z-680, a computer stereo that is similar in size but will blow the fvcking shite out of any Durabrand product ever made.

for the above anonymous person, you don't have enough balls to tell people who you are and ur e-mail address? To think that you wasted your precious time just to rip on people with obscene languages..it makes me laugh..so in that sense, thanks! :)

Mpsl
Reminds me of a story, Gandiji got a nasty mail like this. He read the whole thing and just took the paper clip of the mail. Someone asked him why he did that. He said "that is the only useful thing in the mail..". I pity people with bad language, wish they had better parents..

Anonymous
Don't change the subject this has noting to do with profanity, it is to do with your so called "great choice" in electronics. As an audiophile I know that venturer or durabrand are dirt cheap, and perform like hell but you people ask for help because somthing doesn't work, my question is what do you expect for $89? If you are only willing to pay under 100 bucks then you will have problems, the processors they put in these (a.k.a. "Dolby Prologic") are most likely defected or very poorly manufactured. Is it really that hard for some of you to go with a "Philips, RCA, Sony, or Panasonic?" Those are names that are todays standard, if you want high names you go to "Bose, Klipsch, Pioneer, harman/kardon or Acoustic Research", if you want good/decent names then go to "Sony, RCA, Philips, Panasonic or JVC." And if you want a cheap name that doesn't perform at all, then "Durabrand, Citizen, Samtron, Venturer and Sylvania" are for you. I am not trying to lip all you people who bought this but take my advice, any of the decent or high names listed are worth the money.

are you still anonymous? If you don't know already, many of these brand name companies use the same materials and chips in their product. Take my advice, don't listen to anyone who claims to be credible and yet anonymous. Probably a brand-name lover who only wears abercrombie and fitch and shops at expensive stores. A horrible assumption and stereotype? probably, but so is his/her claims.

the matter of fact is, if you buy it from walmart, you get 90 days warranty, if it doesn't work, oh well. If it works, you just saved yourself some major $$. If you want to buy a more expensive one, go for it! this thread isn't trying to convince you to replace your Bose or other $250+ systems, it's just an alternative that works for those who has a tight budget.

To: Hmm Odd
Re: changing video brightness

That sounds like Macrovision (http://www.macrovision.com/).

Felix

Mpls
Hey anyone knows if this plays VCDs?

get a $40 dvd player from circuit city, it'll play VCDs and use the durabrand speakers

Hi,

I have the Durabrand DVD player STS75E, and the problem i have is that the player say INVALID DISC on some dvd's, Like the "Back to the future trilogy" it only play disc 1 & 3, i got Invalid on disc 2.
I can play fine the disc 2 on other dvd player, like apex or my computer.

Any ideas? (I should return it)

Thanks

Mpls
I get an invalid disc when I try a VCD. I assume VCDs don;t play on this DVD.

helper
Changing video brightness probably means that you are sending the video signal through a vcr or some other source.. you need s-video .. hdtv.. or maybe a direct connect rca(tv) -> dvd.

I need a remote control fro mine , my dog chewed mine up, anybody know where i can buy a new one!

Should I buy the Durabrand HT-400 from Wal-mart?

to the person that has nothing good to say about the durabrand system "anonymous" take a look at who makes the durabrand speakers. They are made by the same company that makes speakers for JBL, Polk, Kenwood, and Infinty home theater in a box systems. Of course they may not be as good as those but, hey not all of us can afford to pay 3000+ dollars for a system. SOME OF US DON'T WANT TO PAY THAT MUCH!!! I am 14 and definately can't afford that!! None of us care about you being able to brag about how you spent $3000+ msrp on you equipment. Why are you even here if Durabrand is so low end for you? So SHUT your f**king mouth UP!!!! E-mail me if you still whant to run your mouth.

Hi
IS Durabrand pretty Good?

I think the Durabrand HT-400 is really good for the price. Personally, I think that anyone who wants louder speakers than these should get their hearing checked because these get pretty loud. And the bass is excellent. My only problem with it is the same as most people--only one digital input jack. And to top things off, the optical/coax converter I got from Radio Shack didn't work when I got it home and I can't find the reciept. Damn Radio Shack. Damn them. Does anyone know how to fix a defective DC 9V jack?

Anonymous
I got the HT-400 in a small bedroom. It sounds pretty good. I'd recommend if especially if you are planning to buy good ish later down the road. For now, I just spent all the money on the tv itself.

For those of you who are using Radio Shack converters, did any of you have any problems getting it to work? My Optical Input side isn't putting out any light.

Does the HT-400 system come with screws for wall mounting?

no, you'll have to get the screws yourself

Does the system put a good deal of bass?

Nagesh
I tried the hack mentioned above for multi region and vcd for the durabrand STS75E and bingo its now multi region and plays vcd's like a dream. It really sounds grrrreeeaattt for that price and i am using the cheap KLH home theater speaker set and its sounds almost like my friends( or the anonymous guys) high end set.

Mpls
Hey,

How did you hack the code? How can you make it play VCDs and multiregion DVDs? any input will be appreicated...

I bought the Durabrand 7-Piece Home Theater Audio System HT-395 tonight. I have an XBOX, which i use as my dvd player also. Problem is i have a RF adapter instead of the 3 colored cables plugging it into my digital cable reciever...what is the best way to hook this system up?

Duraband HT395(no dvd)
XBOX with RF instead of colored cables
31" Sanyo TV with Time Warner digital cable reciever.

Thanks in advance.

also, I have a VCR as well..sorry.

Natasha
I want to say to the "anonymous" audiophile guy, thanks for the heads up. Although I am not in the market for an expensive system just yet, maybe I will save my pennies for one of the more credible names in audio. I know that something cheap now will just be probs in the future. I wanted to see what everyone has been saying on here, so thanks for everyones input

jc west
i have a durabrand ht-400. I am having a problem with the color on my tv when i have the dvd and surround sound turned on a the same time. when these two are on is the only time the color changes on my tv. I can't get it adjusted. any suggestions.

Hello all fellow Durabrand owners! I have searched on the web for information on this system, yet have been unable to find any information about it. Some how I am not hearing any sound when I am watching television.(surround) Could anyone please help me? I am what some call audio dumb! Thanks for any and all help!!!

Does anyone know if the surround sound speakers have wires or are they wirless?

Lazo
I just bought the Durabrand DVD+ VCR Combo. The Syatem works great except for one thing. I here a cracking noise through my speakers only when I am watching normal TV. I have checked all the connections and everything is ran correctly. Has anyone experienced this problem if so can you please help me. I would hate to return this to the store if it is an easy fix.

Hello,

I just got one of the Durabrand HT-400's at Wallyworld tonight to see what was inside and to check out the 200 Watt output claim on the box. The decoder uses two TDA 7269A (11+11 watt @ 1% THD 8 ohm, powering the front and rear, left and right channels ) and one TDA 7265 (20+20 watt @ 1% THD 8 or 4 ohm, supplying center channel and sub woofer) IC's. If I remember my public and catholic school math 11+11+11+11+20+20=84 watts! The IC's have a 10 % distortion rating of 14+14+14+14+25+25 for 106 watts. Where is the 200 watts?

This reminds me of a rating 20+ years ago used by a company called Juliette. The made a table top stereo that claimed to have a 200 watt output!! WOW and for only $199.95! The rating used was called PMPO (peak momentary power output). The stereo really had a 10+10 watt amp, but multiply by 10 and BAM! you had the PMPO rating!! I thought that this kind of misleading advertising was gone but I was wrong.

As for the electronic assembly job on the HT-400 it looks "OK" and it will last a while if not pushed too hard. Just remember it will perform like what it is, an entry level system. It will have a bug or two. If this bothers you, save your money and buy the Panasonic or Sony system in the next isle for $400.00 or more. You will be happier.

Randy AB9GO

p.s. if you have 5 Radio Shack Minimus 7 speakers lying around use them instead if the supplied ones. They sound much better!!!!!

hey everybody - does anyone tried to connect this Durabrand from Walmart to your PC?????

Rob P in Raleigh
I got the combo unit (Durabrand DVD+Hi-Fi VCR Combo Home Theater System LH-C6235) and everything works fine. It was $197 and change at Wal-Mart. I almost never listen to a stereo of TV loud, but this one makes me want to play it loud. We bought U-571 (submarine movie) to check out the surround sound capabilities. The rear speakers don't seem to contribute as much as I expected. Other things I noticed are that there are no separate fast-forward / fast reverse buttons. You have to hold the Chapter button and wait for it to go to 2X, and then again for 4X, 16X and 100X. Although, 100X is a remarkable to skip through a movie!

Everything plays fine. CD sound is very clear even when very loud. Note that DTS is not supported and if you tell the DVD menu to play DTS, you'll get nothing from the system. But most DVDs have Dolby Digital 5.1, so not supporting DTS is not a problem. We had to look at lots of DVDs to find one that said DTS because we wanted to try it out. (The manual confirms what we found.)

Setup was a breeze, and it all worked immediately. I have a Dish Network satellite box, and TV plays fine. Of course, you only get the front speakers unless you go in the 3D mode or ProLogic mode (can't remember which). It is nice to get rid of my separate DVD and VCR, and I no longer have wires running from the DVD player to the front of my TV!

Someone asked if the speakers were wireless. They are not wireless, and the system would be very very expensive if they were. I saw in Lowe's the other day that 2 speaker mounts are $42. As I figure it, that's more than I paid per speaker, so I'm looking for something else.

I think $197 is a nice price for everything you get. Sound effects are plenty loud for me -- much like being in a theatre. Playing a CD, we walked out of the house, closed the door, and stood in the neighbors yard. The song was totally understandable. So I'm sure my neighbors think the sound is plenty big!

Before I bought the system, I called tech support, and they answered immediately and were very helpful. I can't say that about many companies

I saw the Durabrand products for the first time yesterday evening at Wal-Mart and let me tell ya, the prices are very reasonable but I hope if and when I ever buy one, the quality is execellent.

mike j. cathey
I purchased the vcr dvd surround combo nov 8 from wallmart. I can say for me in a 20 by 15 room the sound is good. star wars 2 dvd was great. I have experienced a crackle noise when watching tv like another person on this board mentioned, however it is not happening all the time just ocassionaly therefore I havent considered it a big problem. didnt really need the dvd vcr but it was rated for 120 watts, 20 more than the 98 dollar one so i went for it.

Thinking on getting the kids DVD players for xmas and I'm wondering how easy the Durabrand are to use if a 6 and 9 year old would be able run them and is the Venturer DVD player the same as Durabrand?

Anonymous
can you get surround sound to work on an xbox.
can someone please answer my question.

rohit
my VCR has a mono sound output, whats the best way to hook that up with the DVD input??

Hey, hello,I bought a home theater HT-395 few days ago ( durabrand ) and I think it sounds pretty good to the price I payed for it, at first I was not really happy with the perform of the rear speakers, but after I watched TRMINATOR 3 I changed my mind completely. The only problem that is seriously affecting my patience is that the remote control does not want to work. It happened a couple of days after I bought it, so I went to Walmart and the clerk changed it for another from what looked like a returned one. Then the new one worked perfectly for a couple of times more and stop working like the former one. Though I'd really like to smash it with a hammer I wonder if any of you guys had the same problem and found the way to make it work again. I would appreciate very much your advice. Thanks.

MPLS
There is a function key. If you have hit the function key then it may not work. Make sure that the function is DVD when you play a DVD.

does the rear speakers put out a lot of sound?

Thanks MPLS, I've tryed that already, but the thing is that when the system is in standby and you touch any key on the remote, it's suppossed to turn on automatically and it doesn't work at all. Today it worked ok, so I don't know what to think.
Josh, they don't really sound loud all the time,but when there is some kind of special effect you can hear clearly when they sound loud enough.I think not too many movies have that great surround, but most of them sound pretty good in stereo.

Hello,

I am thinking of buying the Durabrand Venturer STS75E at Walmart. Before I buy I would like to know if anyone on this board knows if it plays DVD-R and DVD-RW discs (not DVD+R and DVD+RW). I have switched from VHS tapes and am using DVD-RWs and my PowerMac G4 to record shows like WWE RAW and cartoon network programming for later viewing. There is a DVD-VCR combo at walmart as well that does say it plays DVD-RWs, but I am interested in the 5.1 system.

Like Sam said, they have a 90-day return policy, so if it doesn't play them, I can always return it. I just want to get some info before hand.

Fred Flinstone
Jhon Bean,
Have you made sure you have new batteries in the remote ?

Dan
I'm Thinking about buying one of these Systems and would like to know which one do people think is better.The(Durabrand Surround Sound System HT-400) Or The (Durabrand 7-Piece Home Theater Audio System HT-395).I haven't seen many people say how good the HT-395 is.

Jhon Bean
Yes Mr. Flinston, I've checked the batteries and even being sure that they were good I put new ones again and it wasn't it. Thanks.

Anonymous
For those who run your video from the DVD through your VCR, if you're getting fading in/out video- it is the infamous Macrovision. It is built into lots of DVDs and VCRs. It is easily bypassed by an RCA to RF adaptor (Radioshack $30). You lose a little picture quality with the RF signal, but it is great if it is the only way you have to hook it up. Generally, if you want to hook up a TV that has only the RF input on back, a VCR, and any DVD system/player, this is the only solution. Hope this helps.

Howard
I just came back from Wal-Mart and they have a system Regent Home Theater System HT391. I followed some links which went to Lenoxx and then to Durabrand. Is the Regent the same thing? The following link is the system called Regent at walmart: http://www.lenoxx.com/audiosystems/HT391.htm

I just bought a Durabrand HT-400 surround sound system. The first movie I watched was Finding Nemo. It was incredible. The scene where nemo is getting shocke by the jellyfish, was especailly amazing, it felt like you were the one getting shocked. I did fine tune the system though. Put the rear speakers on full power, same with the subwoofer, and put the equalizer on rock. It sounds 10X's better.

I have recently purchased the durabrand 5.1 surround sound with dvd player. Everytime I watch a dvd in the system the movie skips as if the disc were scratched, even though it's not. Can anyone help?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us