Subwoofer question

TWN
I currently own a NAD 742 receiver and using Polk Lsi9 as front speakers and planning to add the LsiC as center channel soon. I need some advices for the subwoofer.

I usually listen to music, esp. classical, and so I need the sub for movie mainly.

My budget is tight (<300 will be good) and my room size is about 15'x16'.

What I had in mind are some Polk subwoofers as I remember someone told me that it will be better to get the same brand, though I roubt it, esp. for sub.

Any idea for my need?

Thanks a bunch.

Hawk
TWN:

The LSis are a really nice speaker, but unfortunately, subs are not a strength of Polk Audio.

I would suggest a few that will work very well with your speakers and are within your budget (in no particular order):

1. Velodyne CHT 8--MSRP is $299. 8" sub from the king of subs;

2. PSB SubZero-i--MSRP is $329, but can be had from DMC Electronics for $219. 8" sub, very accurate and will not get "boomy" on you.

3. JBL PB-10--MSRP of $299, but readily found cheaper. 10" downward firing sub.

4. Athena ASP-300--MSRP of $299, but can be had for less. Also an 8" sub

Each of these are a very high quality sub. Velodyne is probably the best sub, but you will pay full price for it, most likely. PSB is easily the best value and very close to the velodyne in terms of quality. JBL is the best if you want a larger sub to get more "weight" to the sound and the Athena is also a good value sub.

I hope this helps.

Kar
Hi Hawk

Would you recommend JBL PB-8 - the smaller version of JBL PB-10? Like TWN, I am looking for a sub but would prefer to keep costs around to $200. I was looking at Wharfedale Topaz - 8, Acoustic Research PR1010 and Velodyne VX10. I did audition the VX10 but I was comparing it with Velodyne CHT10 and CHT12 and Def Tech sub which probably biased my opinion against the VX10, which appeared too muffled.

Also, does it make a difference if a Sub is down firing or front firing (Specially if you are on a 2nd Floor Apt) ?

Thanks!

Hawk
Big difference between the VX10 and the CHT10. I am not surprised you found the VX to sound muffled by comparison.

To answer your question, I really like the PSB at that price point. It is a very clean sub and has very little box coloration or chuffing (usually the bain of low priced subs). If you can get it at $219, as offered by DMC, it is a great buy. However, JBL has always done a good job on subs. I haven't heard the PB-8, but it is probably a good unit. You will have to audition it yourself to know. I would also look around for a deal on an Athena ASP300, which has a MSRP of $299, but can be had for around $210-220.

As for the direction that the sub fires, it really makes a difference only if you have deep pile carpet. If you do, then the sub's output on a downward firing sub can become muffled sounding (I once had this problem, but solved it with plastic carpet feet which raised the sub by 1"). Otherwise, it doesn't really make a difference. You are going to piss off your downstairs neighbor either way.

Anonymous
There is no need to match a sub as this usually only applies to the mains and center but it's funny in this case because the PolkAudio PSW404 is better than any of the subs mentioned. Believe it or not but the PSW404 and PSW505 are real low priced performers. BTW no I don't own these subs and only suggesting them because I purchased them. My subs are all SVS and Paradigm but that doesn't mean I don't listen to the cheaper products. The PSW404 and PSW505 are some of the best low priced subs I have ever heard not counting DIY and I would stake my Anonymous reputation on it.

John Allen
TWN,
See the thread
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/5358.html
I think I terminated it with a long post about Gale, whom few have heard of. I was in your situation a few months ago and settled on a terrific sub at about $250, a Gale 3080W.
See http://www.gale.co.uk/3080.html
Have look at the photo of the back panel.
A question is whether they have a distributor/dealer in you area.

Kar
The Gale sub looks very interesting. It claims to go down to 25Hz. However, they dont seem to have any dealers in the US. Are there any other similar subs ($250 or lower) which this board would recommend. Ideally I am looking to get a sub below $200.
The ones I have seen are JBL PB10, Velodyne VX10, Modaunt Short 308W, AR PR1010, PSB SubZero (which has a mediocre rating on CNET)

How do these compare. I apologize if this has been answered before..

John Allen
TWN,

Following this up, I have made an interesting (to me) discovery: I strongly suspect the Gale 3080W and the Mordaunt Short 907W are the same subwoofer with different badges.

The Mordaunt Short 907W looks attractive at just over $200. Have you considered that? I have got the manual from

http://www.mordaunt-short.co.uk/support/manuals/MS907W_Manual.pdf

I see the dimensions and weight are the same as the Gale 3080W. The back panel is the same in both cases, too. Same auto-on (very useful) same indicator lights (green on; red standby); same controls and terminals; same screw-on spiked feet. Even the manual is the same.

The Gale has three rear-facing reflex ports. I cannot find a rear view of the Mordaunt Short, to check, but I predict it is the same. At the very least they probably have the same 10" driver and amplification unit.

So take my recommendation for Gale 3080W as one for MS 907W, too. If you find one, count the ports. If it is three (unusual) I am right and it is the same sub. A terrific performer for the price.

It fits. They are both owned by:-

http://www.audiopartnership.com/

These subs are most likely made in China/Korea/Taiwan and badged with venerable UK Audio names. "Ethical policy" (read no "sweat-shop"); interesting stuff. Richer of Richer Sounds is the Chairman. Well, well...

The JBL you mention looks nice on paper (well, pdf). I note the variable crossover works with speaker-level, not line-level, input. This, I understand. It is the opposite with Audio Pro, which I don't.

The Gale/Mordaunt Short has a crossover with both inputs, the best option.

Kar
The Mordaunt Short Sub is available here

However the warranty scares me - 30 days?
How does this sub compare with similar priced JBLs, Velodyne (VX-10), AR and Wharfedale.
Thanks

Mark
Here's my question...
Hawk has said the HSU VTF-2 is the best sub $499 sub. :) How does that compare to a sub that lists for more than $499, but is available on closeout/b-stock for less. Like the Phase Tec Power 12 at onecall for example?
http://ww3.onecall.com/PID_21327.htm

The room is pretty big, so I don't think an 8" is going to cut it.

John Allen
Kar,
Bad link. I think you have the address there of some stage in a database shopping trip.
http://ac4l.com/ gives $219, but 35 Hz instead of 25 Hz as the low frequency roll-off (as the MS site). All I can say is, it is surely the Gale 3080W under a different name, and that is a great sub, for the money, in my estimation.
Here is the data sheet (states 23 Hz roll-off):
http://www.mordauntshort.com/pdf/907w.pdf
Distributed in US by Marantz. It should be possible to find a dealer, a demo, and a different warranty.

Anonymous
One comment, the Gale sub comes with both one port and three...me friend has it, and it's a good sub, good value for the money...the only problem is that there is a sound emitting from the port when it's played at high volumes...It's like if the port isn't correctly adjusted to fit the amount of air flowing out...oh well...

John A.
Anonymous,

Thanks. What sort of sound? Mine hums a bit at max gain and max frequency cut-off, but the hum goes away completely at realistic settings. I think the three reflex ports at the back all let the same air out; one big one would probably let mice or small domestic pets climb in, or something.

g-Man
The PSB subsonic 5 is very good and I have seen it at $350.

I THINK Infinity makes a fairly good sub in the $200's--an alpha model I think. But it is tough to find good TRUE subs below $300--lots of compromises.

There is no information on the Gale or Mordaunt that gives any real indication of its performance.

It says it goes down to 23Hz---so what? That is almost meaningless. It doesn't say what distortion it has at 23HZ--it could be an unlistenable 10%. It doesn't tell you how loud it can play and the distortion levels at various volumes at 30Hz, 50 Hz, etc.

Subwoofers are rated by distortion versus SPL's (db's--loudness)at different frequencies--such as 20Hz, 30Hz, 50 Hz etc. I am leery because they omitted those facts--and they are the only facts that are important.

John A.
G-Man,

You are right. If you look at the detailed specs given by e.g. PSB, KEF, B&W, MA and host of others you wonder about Gale and Mordaunt Short under their new holding company; they were once top-quality names and would have all their specs up front.

But I can say the Gale sub sounds great and performs well. I think the 23 Hz may be -6dB but my impression from listening to test dics (not measuring I admit) is it goes well below 30 at -3dB and that is good for the price, and I hear no distortion.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us