Cheap but good speakers, plz help :-)

Anonymous
Hi all
KLH I know that they make cheap speakers, with cheap cabinets, but I also heard that they actually use really good drivers - is this true.
I actually listened to a pair of 12" closed cabinet floorstanders(I want them purely for stereo) and I can tell you I loved them with almost all kinds of music.
Well I'm asking - should I get them for 300$ the pair?
Any comments on KLH?
Thanks

I was skeptical when I paid $99 for a pair of KLH M365T floorstanders from http://www.factoryclearancecenter.com . I got a weird kind of anxiety right before they arrived, as to wether or not I would get a decent set of speakers. I was wrong to worry.

I currently have had these for almost a week now, and I love them. For a 16 year old aspiring audiophile on an EXTREME budget, I think I got a major bargain. My dad owns a pair of JBL L166's out in the living room, and these almost compare, although my system is on lower-end Monster cable(THX cert interconnects to be exact, with Monster XP 16awg speaker cable) and his is on cheapo interconnects from 15 years ago.

I have mine hooked up to a Yamaha RX-E100 receiver that came with a minisystem I got 2 Christmas's ago(2 bookshelf speakers, receiver and CD player, all Yamaha) while I am waiting for my new receiver to arrive in the mail.

The KLH speakers were factory refurbished. One speaker was in perfect condition, and the other had a ever so slightly crushed bottom rear corner, and the tweeter had been swapped out for a KLH replacement.

They came in a KLH box inside of a brown box with packing material inside. I would highly recommend http://www.factoryclearancecenter.com/ for anyone looking to get a pair of bargain speakers, although they have a bit of limited selection.

In case anyone was wondering, the source I am playing CD's through is a Kenwood DV-4070 5 disk DVD/CD changer. I got it for a STEAL on Ebay($40, Original MSRP in 2000 was $1100) as an open box item. I used the following CD's to listen to how the speakers sound:

Various Artists - Deadicated
Tool - Lateralus
Red Hot Chili Peppers- Blood Sugar Sex Majik
RATM - Battle of Los Angeles
The White Stripes - Elephant
Dieselboy - Project Human
Dieselboy - A Soldier's Story
Paul Van Dyk - Out There and Back
Paul Okenfold - Tranceport

They sound really great all around, although a little lacking in the bass area.

Hope this helped at least a little.

Anonymous
Kaffine,
Regarding the factory refurbished speakers, do you know in what condition your pair is supposed to arrive?, and what do you mean by crushed bottom?

No, I did not know before hand. What I meant by crushed corner, was that the MDF was a little bit crushed and did not make an exact square corner on one of the back lower corners.

Anonymous
cheers
I've had people tell me that KLH sound far better then most speakers within the 1000$ range, would you say it's true?

elitefan
For inexpensive speakers you can't beat the Paradigm Performance series. The Titan[$219pr] and Atom{$189pr] are especially great bargains and would blow away KLH any day of the week. The Paradigms are very musical and their imaging for the size and price is amazing.

Rick
KLH isn't what I'd call goo speakers. I'd also recommend the paradigm speakers. They have quite a selection. Also, Athena's are nice, Engery, and AV123's ELTs are getting good reviews. All under $1000.

Well, for a $99 a pair(refurb, $250 MSRP from KLH), I think they are a great bargain, cost/performance wise. Of course these will not compare with a $1000 pair, but for a quarter of the cost, I would say that it does not mean a quarter of performance. The reason I got the M365T's is because I had only $100 to spend on speakers(Hey, being 16 and without a job), or else I would have gotten a pair of nice speakers, and I will probably upgrade when I have the money to. For now, I think they work extraordinarially for the $.

Max
Hello,
Ok heres the deal, check out Mitek factory outlet and look at the Dcm's. You can get some super speakers for 200$ a pair!! They are so great, they have a 6.5 midrange a 10inch woofer and a horn loaded tweeter. I bought the same pair for 450$ about 2 years ago. I can tell you by experience that they kill klh. I mean Klh's arent horrible but for about the same price you can get Dcm's which are REAL speakers and are 100 times better. Please just check out Mitek Factory.com and see what I mean!!! Max

John Allen
There is a UK brand called Gale. That was the name of a recognised and respected manufacturer in the UK 20 years ago. Whoever now runs it has some deal with a budget UK audio chain called Richer Sounds (the vanity of Mr Richer produces a very stupid name for an audio retailer imho, but there it is). There are other Gale outlets around the World, especially in Europe.

Having a family, and less disposable dosh than when young and single, I tried two subs a while ago at around US$250 equivalent currency. The sub was to go with my faithful KEF speakers. The Gale 100W sub at half the price of the cheapest new KEF completely blew away its $250 rival (Audio Pro) on everything; sound (25-150 Hz but very much in balance with the rest of the system); features (variable phase control; crossover; all that). The finish is vinyl, not wood, but it looks fine. I read Gale are now assembled in China, but the design and component quality is high. So they keep costs low on non-essentials.

Gale has a full range of speakers, and I would give them a close look if I were in the market for a new set of serious speakers at really low prices. Their small mini-monitors are about US$100 equiv. a pair; a complete 5.1 surround system is about US$450; a pair of full-range floorstanders is about US$300. I am guessing conversion from UK £ from prices on http://www.richersounds.com - I could be out.

Gale itself is on http://www.gale.co.uk

I must emphasise I have not heard the main speakers, only the sub, and Google says reviews are hard to come by, unless you understand Polish or Russian. On paper they look good, but they do not give the dB tolerances on frequency limits, which makes me suspicious. My sub does make noises at 25 Hz, I have checked, but it could be - 10 dB, I have not measured.

Probably it makes no sense to think Gale could undercut great speaker names, mentioned above, in N. America, where there is real speaker talent and quality. Speakers are heavy things to ship around. But somehow Gale can make a great sub in China to UK spec. and ship it to a reputable dealer in N. Europe (also stocks B&W, Mission, Denon, NAD etc) who sells it to me at a really good price.

I guess it is mostly labour costs (low in China; astronomical here). Anyway, if you are in Europe, especially former East, check out Gale; they could just be serious stuff. If they are rubbish, someone please shout. Now.

My 2p. on "Cheap but Good".

Mark
Are Cerwin Vega better than KLH? or is it all the same rubish?

RON
PSB make very good cheaper speakers and also the new Boston Acoustics.

Max
Hey,
No mark cerwin vegas are a little better. I always thought JBLs were cheap but good. They usually are really low priced and I dont know why?
You really cant go wrong with JBL for budget speakers.
Max

Anonymous
Paradigm and Klipsch.

mark
Klipsch are not so cheap

Marc Racine
Your best bet is Merak MT66. I have purchaced 2 pairs for myself and for my father, sister and a couple of musician friends. They are THE best bargain on the market right now, period. They are a subdivision of Axiom Loudspeakers. They have been compared with speakers in the 600.00 to 1,000.00 range and are available for 169.00 a pair and if you are lucky like me to find a discount store who carries them,you will pay about 90.00 a pair !!!!!!!!!! You will find them at:
http://www.merakspeakers.com
Don't forget to read the review by Alan Loft (ex-editor Sound and Vision Magazine...)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us