First Powered Sub - Need Help

Username: Mbasler

Post Number: 1
I just purchased a new powered sub for my system and need help with the settings, crossover numbers, etc. I do not think it is set up properly. I have to turn the sub level to max to get any bass at all and it is not much. I am sure I am missing something.

Here's the information on my system:

Subwoofer: Infinity SW-12 (500 watt powered)
Fronts: Infinity Beta 50's
Rears: Infinity Beta 20's
Center: Infinity Beta 360
Receiver: Harmon Kardon AVR-645
All speaker and connection wires are Monster

I have a LFE line out to the sub. On the receiver I am able to select Large or Small for all speakers along with the Hz. The Sub is set to LFE + L/R so the fronts have bass as well. The center is at 120Hz (small), the fronts (large)and rears (small) are all at 40 Hz. The sub is at 12 inch w/ 120 Hz. All settings are from using the Harmon Kardon EzQSet microphone which automatically sets up the system by sounding various tones from the speakers.

I appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks!!!

Silver Member
Username: Arande2

400dB could probably d..., 4000 isnt ev... 100,000dB FU...

Post Number: 403
Well have you looked at all the settings? The receiver should not have the sub-out dB lvl turned down at all. It should be max on the receiver. Otherwise, I bet it's just something stupid you overlooked. Most things are around here.

Post Number: 2
Andre, thanks for responding.

Yes, I have read the manual at least three times and checked and checked. The sub level is at +10dB. I am sure it is something stupid (I hope). Seems really odd.

Any specific settings I should change/try?

Silver Member

Post Number: 409
So you've checked where the connections are? How much are the drivers moving? Maybe the sub out on the receiver is bad? Is the 500 watts dynamic or continuous? Last time someone asked a question like this they just had the sub connections to the receiver wrong.

Post Number: 3
The drivers are moving alot and if you are hugging the sub it has bass but 2 feet from it and it is gone. It is 500 watts continuous. I have it in a corner next to the front right speaker. I tried moving the sub around the room but no change?????

Silver Member
Username: Eramsey

South carolina United States

Post Number: 504
This sub setting is way to loud. You should set it at 0dBl and use the subs volume contol as your reference for blending(correct balance of volume) it with the front speakers. When the sub output is set this high you are driving the output to almost clipping.

Post Number: 4
It does not change anything. The sub has to be turned up 100% to get any bass and not much at that?????

Gold Member
Username: Joe_c

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 1179
Have you checked to see if the phase is correct? If a sub and your mains are out of phase, they can cancel each other bass out. If your fronts are set to large the reciever may also just send lfe effect to the mains for all left and right low end. There may be a setting which allows lfe to go to mains and sub, this maybe whats hindering you. Otherwise, maybe a faulty sub.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5044
Where is the sub in the room that you have not tried?

Post Number: 5
I have tried the phase switch at 0 and 180, no notable difference. Also, the sub is next to the front right speaker on the right in the corner. I tried moving it around but no luck. The sub setting on the receiver is LFE + L/R, I tried setting the fronts to small and still no luck.

If I am right on the sub or lean on the wall behind it there is lots of bass but it disappears 1-2 feet away. I even turned the sub backwards and no change.

Thanks to all who are trying to help. I have been messing with this for 2 days and am getting frustrated.

Silver Member

Post Number: 418
Well, it is a little bit weird. Maybe your sub needs some break in time? I'm not too sure. Have you called Infinity? They might be able to help. What do you have the sub crossed over at?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5047
Mike, try moving the mains around a bit too.
You might be generating cancelling waves in the room.
Standing waves can be tricky, too.

You might try a bass trap, if a big ugly monolyth matches your decor.
Or try some ideas from here

www.diyaudio.comhttp://www.primacoustic.com/london.htm

a 500w plate amp pushing a driver to full excursion is creating tremendous pressure waves, your room will benefit from some attention, I am sure.
Or the port tube fell off inside.
Oh hey, try partially plugging the port, too.

There is very little 'plug and play' in audio, MB, keep trying.

I just cannot believe that sub is not delivering.

The very last possibility (and one which I am not believing yet) is the sub sucks.

Post Number: 6
I do not think it sucks. Every review from users and magazines etc were extremely good. I went to a local store and listened to the PS-10 a 10 inch by infinity that is several levels below my sub and it was awesome. Definately something wrong. The guy at the store thought it may be an issue w/ the sub out on the receiver, any suggestions there?

Here is an article on testing of my sub. I do not know what this stuff means, how does it look/ compare to others?

Thanks!
application/pdfUpload
Sesmic Sub Article.pdf (78.9 k)

Silver Member

Post Number: 459
Ok.

Username: Xanthan

Post Number: 3
If the sub has a xover onboard why not see if it is the receivers subout by connecting the sub to the center channel. It is going to send a fuller spectrum of frequencies to the subwoofer but atleast you will know right away if the sub out on your receiver was the problem. Hope this helps
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us