NAD T752 - Hum/missing speaker

Jon L
Unregistered guest
I purchased a NAD t752 with PSB alphas in January from a dealer in Toronto. It was a dream come true to finaly drop a load on some quality audio equipment. For the first month I was a like a kid in a candy store. It sounded great.

However, after my intial glee, I noticed a high pitched hum on analog channels. Digital sound is great, but when watching tv, the hum occurs at medium to high volume levels. The pitch also changes slightly when the display screen changes (like when turning up the volume). I disconnected everything except the speakers, and the noise is still there even with no inputs.

I returned to the dealer, and they "rushed" it for repairs. After a month, I got it back and it was supposed to be fixed. However, the noise is still there.

I decided I could live with it since, but now I a starting to lose speakers. At first it was the front left that would konc out, or sound staticky like a dirty channel. Now the others are sporadically stopping to work. The only way I can get them back is by turning off the switch on the receiver. It's driving me CRAZY!

Anyone have suggestions?

JL

Bronze Member
Username: Smitty

Canada

Post Number: 59
Assuming you've checked all of your wiring esp. speaker connections then I'd bring it back to the dealer. You may want to ask them about trading it in for a T753 since it's already been sent back for repairs.

Bronze Member

Canada

Post Number: 62
Jon, one thing you might want to try first is resetting the processor. If you search through this forum there should be instructions on how to do that.

Good luck!

Bronze Member
Username: Hab

Post Number: 26
Jon,

Get rid of that NAD ASAP!!!.

I bought a 752 a few months back with the same problem. Since then I have had five 753's to replace it but all had the same problem. The dealer hooked up every NAD receiver of the T-Seies he had in his shop & they all were faulty...the 742/3's, 752/3's, 762/3's & the 772/3's. Even units they had received from the plant that they had been assured were checked before shipping had the same awful noise that can be heard from anywhere in the room.

The dealer was great through it all but very suprised that the problem existed & at NAD's refusal to acknowledge it. He gave me back my money after all these months & apologized for my inconvenience.

Get rid of that NAD!!!

Bronze Member

Canada

Post Number: 63
Paul, would you mind describing the problem you had in more detail? Did you hear this noise if an unused analog input was selected and the volume turned above a certain level? It seems strange that the dealer had a problem with every single NAD receiver but never noticed it until you pointed it out.

PS...too bad about the Habs.

Bronze Member

Canada

Post Number: 64
Paul, I presume it's the sub hum you mentioned in this post?
NAD Sub hum
Did the dealer just connect the cable to each receiver or was there a sub at the other end? Did you have to turn the volume up very high to notice it?

Jon L
Unregistered guest
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the advice. Before I brought the unit in for "repairs", I disconnected everything(including the sub)but kept the 5 speakers, and reset the processor. I still got the same noise. The missing speaker problem is quite new. It happened again last night, and I had to turn off the main switch in order to get it working. I am getting tired of it, but I don't want to go a month without it waiting for repairs.

JL

Bronze Member

Canada

Post Number: 65
Jon,

After re-reading your original post a little closer, it sounds similar to a problem I started having a week ago or so. My left rear channel was acting up in the way you describe. Most of the time if I press the 'test tone' button and let it cycle through the speakers it started working again. However, sometimes the test tone itself was very low. It was a very sporatic thing but was happening more and more often recently especially after the receiver was on for awhile. I brought it in to the dealer to have them check it out. They mentioned they had sold about a hundred T742s and only had two come back with problems. I presume you've tried the reset since getting your unit back?

I know what you mean about not wanting to go a month without it. I switched back to my older H/K AVR30 pro-logic receiver and can't really stand to listen to stereo music on all but a few rock CDs for very long, it just seems so thin and uneven...funny I used to think the sound was fantastic before. I also watched a bit of Finding Nemo downmixed to DPL from DVD and it actually sounded quite good on the H/K, I was suprised.

Bronze Member
Username: Buckeyeshine

Post Number: 88
Paul,

I don't mean to question your experience but this seems a bit unbelieveable that evey single NAD of every model a dealer had was "defective" without considering the possible common denominator involved that would be the dealer's set up.

You say you also had problems personally which I assume was in your home and I wouldn't try to claim that as being false by any means.

However, I have personally tested a T763 in my home as well as the T773 that I now own and have had NO ISSUES WHATSOEVER. I have also heard a T753 at my dealer and it was fine too.

I just think the advice is a little harsh and see so many of these posts that would imply NAD has rampant quality issues. Either I am very lucky with the few T7x3's I have experienced and now own or NAD does not have an epidemic issue as one would deduce based on these posts here.

I almost did not consider NAD solely because of this. I am definitely now glad I did.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
Guys,

The problem was noise from all speakers, clearly heard from anywhere in my large (36' x 16') room. It happened as soon as I connected a sub cable ( & I tried many types of cables from the cheapest to the most expensive) to the sub out on the receiver. The noise was a loud humm/squeal that was heard in all modes except stereo (2 Channel) & didn't change with volume changes. Even if the other end of the sub cable was not connected to my sub, the problem occurred.

My old Sony was fine with the same set-up, as is the Marantz I have now. In the shop YES, ALL the NADS he tried gave the same noise as I was getting in my house. Other brand receivers in this shop set-up worked perfectly.

C'mon guys, it's time to lay the blame where it belongs. These NAD's have a problem that they will not admit to & will not or cannot fix.

I have E-Mailed NAD twice from their website with the CONTACT/SUBMIT icon explaining everything & asking them if they can get me a unit that works before I buy a different brand but have gotten no response.

Bronze Member

Canada

Post Number: 66
Paul,

I just have to echo what was said in another thread:

quote:

Paul - you did experience something that is obviously wrong, but if it is a model wide issue shouldn't there be more posts about it? It is an odd situation.

I'm guessing the dealer never had any NAD receivers hooked up to a sub (until you asked them to try it) otherwise they would have heard this annoying sound. I don't suppose there's another NAD dealer in your area? Now, I do recall seeing a thread on this particular issue but it was limited to an early production run of the T753 model, which NAD apparently fixed.

It is disappointing that you didn't hear back from NAD though. Have you tried calling them?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
Smitty,

I am in Canada. Do you know a phone number for them here?

By the way, there are many,many posts here & eleswhere about the NAD noise problems. People tend to blame their set-up, thier other equiptment etc....everything but the NAD receiver. But always the common denominator is NAD T-Series receiver. I would grab a working NAD right now if I could get one that actually does work properly, but I CANT.

The sound is superb, the quality control IS awful!

Bronze Member
Username: Ghiacabriolet

NC

Post Number: 64
Paul,

You mentioned that your dealer gave you your money back. Why not put NAD in the past and get another brand? If EVERY unit you have encountered has been bad, its difficult to understand why you wouldn't want to move on so you can start enjoying the music again.

Silver Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 892
Paul,

The NAD web site gives the Canadian distributor as

Canada
Lenbrook Industries Ltd
633 Granite Court,
Pickering, Ontario L1W 3K1
Contact Service: Louise Hinkson
Contact Sales: Ken Malyon
Tel: + (1) 800 263 4641
Fax: + (1) 905 831 6936

There are e-mail addresses for the named individuals, too, but I'd give them a call.

Bronze Member

Canada

Post Number: 70
Paul,

Yea, I'd probably be pretty bummed out about NAD too if I went through what you did. If you don't get anywhere calling NAD direct, you might want to wait until the fall for the upcoming outlawaudio receiver to hit the streets. It should be up there with NAD in terms of sound quality. The Cambridge Audio Azur 540R might also be worth a listen, it retails for C$940 in Canada (similar to the T742/T743 retail price). I know the Audio Shop in Ottawa stocks them Azur 540R

Silver Member

Post Number: 910
Smitty,

I would also think the Camb. Audio would be an excellent alternative. However I have just spotted a report, by "Viper". of a problem with that receiver on the thread NAD T513.

Bronze Member
Username: Markusp

Toronto, ON Canada

Post Number: 18
You can actually pick up the CA 540R for much cheaper than C$940. I have seen them range between C$799 to C$840 plus tax. As for the "problems" associated with this unit, the fix will apparently require the swapping of 2 chips by the distributor and these should be ready in the next few weeks (give or take). A very nice unit, especially for the money.

Bronze Member

Canada

Post Number: 74
Markus, certiainly I'd expect to be able to buy one at a bit of a discount, I suspect the Audio Shop has to post the MSRP on their website. I really just wanted to point out that the MSRP on the NAD T743 and CA 540R are very close. In fact, I recall in another thread that you considered both before purchasing the CA? If that's true how would you describe the sound difference between the two?

Bronze Member
Username: Markusp

Toronto, ON Canada

Post Number: 22
I am actually going to try out the Nad this weekend. I kind of lost me head last week and purchased some demo speakers from my dealer instead of trying out the Nad. As it stands right now, I will probably just keep the Cambridge as I really like the matchup right now. If anything, I will probably just buy a 2 cannel amp to open up the headroom on my two front speakers a touch and to reduce the load on the receiver's amps. I'll let you know how I make out.

Jon L
Unregistered guest
Smitty,

So have you got your unit back yet? Did they fix the missing speaker problem? The test tone on mine is totally missing on the front left unless I shut the main power off. I'm going to phone the dealer tomorrow to find out what my options are. Has anyone had success phoning Lenbrook?

JL

Bronze Member

Canada

Post Number: 75
Jon, I picked it up a couple of days ago. They were unable to get the same problem to happen (big surprise there ;). Anyway, they said it was possibly due to a poor speaker connection or the microprocessor needing to be reset [This is done on the T742 by unplugging it for an hour or so.] They said a high or low voltage condition could 'mess' up the microprocessor. So, I stopped using a couple of loose banana plug connections and am using bare wire instead for the rear speakers. I also have it hooked up to a pretty heavy duty voltage regulator. So far so good.

I'd try resetting your T752 and maybe unplugging it for awhile to see if that solves the problem.

Silver Member

Post Number: 966
Smitty and Jon,

Resetting the processor. On my T760, you:
1. Power off (button on front of unit)
2. Change the AM stepping frequency (slide switch on rear panel)
3. Power on.
4. You can then change back to your region's AM stepping frequency.
You can easily confirm you have done it because you have lost your radio tuner station presets. Along with speaker settings, channel delays, etc.

I do not know it is the same with the T752/T742, but it is worth a try.

Unregistered guest
I had the exact same problem as Jon L. - but with Cerwin-Vega's, not NAD.

As Jon said, "I disconnected everything except the speakers, and the noise is still there even with no inputs." Same thing with me.

So here's the background:

My problem is only with my left front speakers - plural, b/c I have a 5.1 set on the "A" output of my recvr and a stereo set on the "B" output (the B output is actually connected to a switch box with 5 sets of stereo speakers in other rooms as well).

The speaker hum is not affected by using the pushbuttons on the receiver to deselect the A and/or B speakers. However, using the pushbutton on the switch box to deselect the B speakers does stop the hum on the B left stereo speaker (but not on the A left 5.1 speaker). I assume the switch box pushbutton is an actual physical disconnect, while the recvr B button is not.

I shut off fluorescent and low-voltage halogen lights (transformers) in the room and the hum went away, then I turned them back on, and the hum returned. - But after a little while, the hum returned even with the lights off, and all other lights in the house off.

I have three cordless phones but none was being used during the hum. I have no neighbors at all. I do not live near high-voltage power lines. My fridge is brand new, so I don't think its broadcasting RF (not sure that old ones do either). I live in a canyon in LA - weak cell-phone reception within my house, but radio reception is clean.

So - what could be causing this weirdness? Thanks for any help. (Please cc me directly as well).

Gold Member

Post Number: 1048
Jonathan.

I am assuming the receiver is still NAD. If there is a Cerwin-Vega receiver, I am off track.

Most likely it is something on the DSP board ("AC-3-DTS board") which is making the receiver very sensitive to induced EM fields. I recommend you get on to your NAD distributor (http://www.nadelectronics.com/dealers/index.htm). Also check out the thread, and links therein:

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/5654.html

Jon L
Unregistered guest
Well, I tried resetting the processor, unplugging the unit over night, switching speaker wires, and switching speakers, and still no luck. I brought the unit back in for repairs yesterday. Hopefully it won't be a month like last time. The dealer thought that I blew that channel, but it does work from time to time. I'll let you know how it turns out. If I have to bring it back in after this, I'm going to tell them to keep it because I don't want it back.

Jon L

Bronze Member
Username: Sem

Post Number: 85
John A.

Thank you for providing the above link. I hadn't seen that before, it certainly casts a positive light on NAD customer service.

I read through the entire thread and couldn't help but notice similarities between posts from Peter (Oct 9th), Mike in Dallas, (Nov 1st), and the problem I'm having with my T742. Unfortunately, neither Mike nor Peter ever followed up with a resolution. I am, however, buoyed by the fact that NAD customer service really excelled in TC Smith's case.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1086
Sem,

TC Smith still posts here. I think he had further problems, and an upgrade to a T753. I am not sure, and have lost track, but here is one recent link:
https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?1/27536
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us