Best floor standing speakers under $200?

Username: Jinster

Post Number: 3
hi, i'd like to know what the best bang for the buck deal is for a pair of floor standing speakers when you go to college, pay for your rent and have only $200 to spare which is what am all of right now. or if $200 is too ridiculous a requirement, how about 300ish or something around that? ofcorse the price is considering that you can get speakers cheaply on ebay or used. so please help me out? thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3265
Guess you can look at fluance.com but I have a hard time believing that a $200 pair of towers will sound very good compared to a $200 pair of bookshelves.

In addition to eBay you can also look at audiogon.com though you'll have to be patient to find towers that cheap there.

Post Number: 4
ok, maybe i'll rephrase my question to best speakers under $300. what would my options be in that case?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3269
so these don't have to be floorstanders? That helps tremendously.

It would also be helpful if you detailed:

a. What % of your usage will be music vs. HT (home theater)?

b. What types of music do you listen to the most? (classical/jazz, rap, rock, etc.)

c. What types of movies do you watch the most? (action/thriller, drama/comedy, etc.)

d. How big is your listening/viewing room?

e. What kind of receiver/amp will you have?

f. Do you have a subwoofer or plan to get one?

Post Number: 5
sweet. thx for the little questionare. i'll try to answer as thoroughly as i can

a. music/movie need will be about 50/50
b. most listened to least. alternative, jazz, classic... hate rap. alternative rock takes about 50% and the other two the rest.
c. action
d. it's about 25x12x12ft
e. i have denon 3805
f. got onkyo skw-200 but really thinkin about ditching this one too. i want more punch under 200 :-) could you answer me that too? thanks a lot btw.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3271
f. is the easiest, definitely ditch the Onkyo sub. If you absolutely must stay under $200 then get the 12" Dayton sub from partsexpress.com for about $145 shipped. These will be very good for HT, and not bad for music. Sometimes they do get damaged in shipping but partsexpress has a great return/exchange policy, I think they pay for return shipping in that case.

The 3805 is a solid receiver, it will make many inexpensive speakers sound pretty good.

My recs:

Athena AS-B2.2s for $250/pair shipped from audioadvisor.com

or

Athena AS-B1s for $100/pair from the same place, but add the savings to your subwoofer budget and move up to a Hsu STF-2 (hsuresearch.com) for $425 shipped, great all-around sub for music or movies.

or

if you want to go without a subwoofer completely, look at the Athena AS-F2.2s which are $400 shipped from audioadvisor.com

Silver Member
Username: Rysa4

Post Number: 193
Eric- There is a pair of PAradigm atoms for 100 used one year old on Audiogon.com listed today. They are decent enough.

Silver Member

Post Number: 194
I also notice a pair of PsB 2Bs on audiogon for 150, pics look good on em too. Still scrolling through to find some decent deals for decent speakers....

Silver Member

Post Number: 195
Amazingly there were a pair of Energy C-#s for 200 dollars, but they are sold. Oh well. Thats it!

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY

Post Number: 784
Here's some good prices on PSB's if you're interested -

http://www.hipposaudiovideo.com/pages/1/closeout1.htm

https://dmc-electronics.com/Default.htm

Scroll down about half way on the DMC page for some that are around your range.

The best thing to do is go out and listen to as many different speakers you can. You may find that saving up an extra $50-$100 will make all the difference in the world, or you may not hear a significant improvement.

Silver Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 283
Upload
The Wharfedale Diamond 8.3 would be my choice @ $214 a pair.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 284
Or if you can spare a few more $$$, these Morduant-Short MS904s from accessories4less.com for $249 a pair with free shipping (coupon code "shipspeakers") are a better deal.

http://www.accessories4less.com/cgi-bin/item/MORDMS904BL#

Upload

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 287
Let us know what you decide?

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 288
Sorry, I just checked & the FREE SHIPPING from BUY.COM does not apply to the Wharfedales. I think shipping is $19.95, making the Morduant-Shorts all the more attractive.

Post Number: 7
sweet, my budget just increased to $500 (THANKS DAD:-) so what should i do now? i still would prefer a classy looking rich wood floorstanding to a bookshelf.

Silver Member

NYC, NY

Post Number: 786
PSB Image T45 from here would be my choice- The Image 5T is also the same price - $450 + shipping. Personally I think the T45 is a better all around speaker. The only way the 5T is better is that it goes down a few more Hz than the T45.

https://dmc-electronics.com/Default.htm

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 291
OK, that changes things quite a bit. Everybody here knows I'm big on the Missions on sale @ Amazon.com, so here we go; A pair of Mission M35i originally $900, on sale at Amazon.com for (drumroll please) $450. delivered. These will sell out soon. GET THEM NOW.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006IS2V0

Mission M35

Bronze Member
Username: Plato

Woodbury, NJ

Post Number: 26
Buy.com sucks a whole lot.
If product is in stock, then transactions are ok, but if there is the smallest problem you're screwed. They have no customer support whatsoever(all the system does is send you pretyped emails)
Plus the coupons have too much fineprint!
Spend your money somewhere else!

Post Number: 8
that is a sweetass deal indeed... but I'm really attracted by fluance sv-10s. for it's looks and price. would i be making a smarter choice spending extra 150 on the missions?

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 292
Where else can you find the Wharfedales Diamond 8s at that price? I've done business with them and had no problem. I understand you had a problem, I've had problems with online vendors too, but Buy.com must conduct thousands of transactions a day, I can't imagine that even a small percentage go as bad as yours did, or they wouldn't be in business.

Having said that, everyone should take what you said into consideration & weigh their options before purchasing any item online.

Post Number: 9
so, fluance sv-10 or mission m35i? i guess if i go with fluance i could buy a new sub with that money too

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 293
I would skip the fluances and jump all over the Missions right now, The M32i are sold out (I was lucky enough to get a pair), as are the M35i in black. You will not regret this purchase, but you will regret if you miss out on these speakers. Don't wait.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 294
You won't need a sub with the M35is

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 295
Or you can buy the M35is & a Dayton 10" for $99 from partsexpress.com

Post Number: 10
i mean for untrained ears like mine would i really notice and appreciate the difference between mission and fluance that much?... well, i guess 500 dollars savings is something to brag about also... IM GON' BUY THEM SUCKAS!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
i mean for untrained ears like mine would i really notice and appreciate the difference between mission and fluance that much?... well, i guess 500 dollars savings is something to brag about also... IM GON' BUY THEM SUCKAS!

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 297
If your ears are that untrained & want them to stay that way, then buy the Wharfedales or the Mordant-Shorts, you won't regret it & you'll save your and your dads $$$. But if you want a speaker that will stun you, your dad, and anyone else that hears them, then bite the bullet & buy the Missions.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 298
Had a chance to review the Fluance SV-10s, they look good & the price is right, but having said that, I would still spend a few more $$$ and get those Missions; the M32is, the M35is little brother, are hypnotic.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
i bought them missions with 3 day shipping. i can't wait! :-)

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 303
Dude, I got the speakers next day WITHOUT a shipping upgrade. I would suggest saving the shipping upgrade.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3304
Christopher,

> If your ears are that untrained & want them to stay that way, then buy the Wharfedales or the Mordant-Shorts, you won't regret it & you'll save your and your dads $$$. But if you want a speaker that will stun you, your dad, and anyone else that hears them, then bite the bullet & buy the Missions.

Are you saying you've heard all 3 speakers? I'd be very curious to hear a quick strengths/weaknesses comparison. I'm currently trying out a pair of the 8.2 Diamonds and was kind of curious about the Missions, also about the Mordaunt Shorts.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 305
Edster,

I own the Mission M32i (everyone must know that by now, I've been talking them up so much since I got them). They are excellent regardless of price; mucular bass & holographic mids.

I've also heard the Mordaunt-Short 908s, another great speaker, but different all together from the Mission (it's a floorstander). Great build quality, it's a little "edgeier" needs pleanty of clean power (Tawaun has them I think).

I've not heard those Wharfedales.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3315
I would also describe the Wharfedales I am currently auditioning as having "holographic mids & muscular bass" though they don't seem to handle high volumes very well, the mids and treble start to tatter a bit around the edges.

What are you running your M32i's with, and at what db level?

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 306
Edster,

I own the Mission M32i (everyone must know that by now, I've been talking them up so much since I got them) because I rolled the dice, auditioned them, and fell in love with them. They are excellent regardless of price; mucular bass & holographic mids, nice build. But alas, the M32i are history @ Amazon.com, The M35is are still available for $450 in Cherry.

I'm an amature audiophile a best, but I've auditioned a lot of speakers over the last few months, Paradigm Mini Monitors & Studio 20s & 40s, NHT SB3s & SB4s, Epos ELS3 & M5s, Mordaunt-Short 908s, Totems, PSBs, and a few others I'm sure I can't remember right now. These speakers were to replace a pair of Infinity Alpha 20s, that while very-good & a great value, fell short of my expectations in the imaging department.

I realized the smaller mini monitors, like the Epos ELS3s were great, but I wanted BIGGER sound, I wanted something with a 6"+ mid/woofer. Now, my pockets are not that deep at all & size was an issue, so floorstanders were out. I really wanted to maximize this purchase by doing my homework. Now after all this listening, I realized that the speakers I liked were more $$$ than I wanted to spend. I really liked the Paradigm Studio 20s, but they were $500+, much more than I wanted to spend. The Missions stood out as the best value IMHO. I really think you would have to move up to the Paradigm Studio 20s to get better all around sound.

I've heard the Mordaunt-Short 908s, another great speaker, but different all together from the Missions (first & foremost, it's a floorstander). Great build quality, it's a little "edgeier" & has a big side-firing woofer that CRANKS, needs pleanty of clean power & about hundred pounds of sand to tame them, (I think Tawaun owns them, you should ask him about them if you want a more thorogh review).

I've not heard those Wharfedales, but I've read plenty of good reviews of the Diamond 8's (I think Tawaun said the 8.2s have a rep of being a bit boomier than the 8.1s). Based on this, I felt the 8.3s represented the best match for someone in $200 floorstander range, the MS906 in $250 range (based on my audion of the MS908s), and the M35i when the budget went up to $500 (based on my experience with the M32i).

I'd like to know:

1. What's you budget?
2. Preferences: Bookshelf or Floorstander?

I think I know your hardware set-up.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 307
Edster,

An NAD C740 (see my profile). These British speakers seem to have similar qualities.

I don't listen that loud (I'm in an aprtment builing), but they seem to hold together for as loud as I've played them.

Username: Kathygeek

Post Number: 1
Hi

I am also looking for very inexpensive speakers and am hoping to get a warm sound for my miles and mingus as well as the ability to handle very noisy screechy music. I know what sounds I don;t want which is Cerwin Vega. It sounds fake to me, or something. I don't know how to describe it.

Could someone recommend a good pair or speakers (don't care if they sit on the floor or on the bookshelf) that will sound warm and uh, real? or not give too much of itself into the music - neutral or something.

I'll fill out the questionairre

It would also be helpful if you detailed:

a. What % of your usage will be music vs. HT (home theater)? 100% music

b. What types of music do you listen to the most? (classical/jazz, rap, rock, etc.) jazz, noise, skronk, garage, folk, and some old country mostly

c. What types of movies do you watch the most? (action/thriller, drama/comedy, etc.) n/a

d. How big is your listening/viewing room? 16' x 20'.

e. What kind of receiver/amp will you have?
Onkoyo TX 8511

thank you

f. Do you have a subwoofer or plan to get one?

Username: Kathygeek

Post Number: 2
I can stretch to around $350 but would rather stay under that. I am only an RN and am supporting the family. This is a total indugence for me, but i really miss my music!

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 308
OK Kathy, you can review this thread to get a good idea of what some of your options are.

As I have stated repeatedly, the Missions on sale at Amazon.com represent an exceptional value. There are fewer & fewer models available, but your in luck, I just checked and the M34is are available in black for $349. delivered.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AREC3Y

Mission M34i

Like the other Missions, these will sell out soon.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2412
Christopher, you have been providing helpful info but please only provide links and not pics. The pics slow the site down for folks who aren't using broadband. I do have broadband but I know there are participants here that don't. Thanks in advance.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 309
Sorry, just trying to be helpful.

...Just curious, why have the option if it's a problem?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2413
Who knows? I've heard from a number of folks with dial up that the pics make it more difficult for them (slow download speeds and all). We had a guy here for awhile who posted a pic everytime...talk about slow threads. Thanks for your concern. BTW I don't think a picture here and there hurts. I like looking at those Missions. If they sound as good as they look they should be a good buy.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 310
Found this good thread on the Mission M3 series

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/4739.html

Realize the newer "i" designation actually indicates an internal wire upgrade of the M3 series.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3321
Kathy,

with your Onkyo 8511, this would probably be a good match, and just $250 shipped:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=ATHASB2%2E2&product_name =Audition%20B2%2E2%20Speakers%20-%20Black,%20Pair

Onkyos are laid-back and fuzzy/warm, while Athenas are forward and a tad bright; you should be able to achieve a happy medium with this combo. The B2s will provide plenty of detail plus decent mid-bass so no need for a subwoofer.

Also since Onkyos often have very optimistic power ratings, a big floorstander might not sound its best since they usually need more quality power/current behind them to truly open up, compared to a small 8-ohm bookshelf with high sensitivity (91db).

Gold Member

Post Number: 3322
Christopher,

I have to (gasp!) actually agree with Art for a change, LOL...those Missions are rather handsome indeed! But those can't be real wood cabinets at this pricepoint, are they?

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 311
No, they're nice vinyl.

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 393
since when do onkyos have optimistic power ratings for a reciever? They usually are rated halfway decently I thought.

It is brands like kenwood, sony, JVC, etc. etc. that are inflated.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2419
Onkyo and Yamaha also. Both are good sounding receivers but you have to keep in mind their power limitations. Use them with efficient speakers or an external power amp.

just trying
Unregistered guest
Dude. I'm on just about the slowest connection ever but it doesn't take that long to load at all. Those pictures are small, they load quick. Alot of people won't click the links but if you post the pic it will grab their attention, increasing the chance of them buying the product. Besides, who wants to look at these dull, gray and white pages all day!? heh.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 313
I don't work for Amazon.com, Mission, Wharfedale, or Morduant-Short, but I do think I've got a good handle on bad, good, & great deals on the web. Call it a hobby (my wife calls it a sickness).

What little I know about audiophilia (?...I might be infected!), I've mostly learned from these pages. I was just trying to give a little back to the ecoustic community by providing a little more info (i.e. pic & links) when I could. If it's a problem, I'll stop, no problem.

But one small request, I'm curious who everyone is, how'bout a thread with a pic of regulars.

I don't want to be the first though, someone else start the thread, I'm affraid I'll get in trouble.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 401
cool idea! I've tried to attach a pic of myself, but it says the file it too large! how do I get around that lil problem?

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 314
Reduce the size of the pic (jpeg or gif).

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 659
Upload

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 315
Ha Ha...For real now.

Silver Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 662
Gavin..Jenny Craig?
Just kidding, the site demands 100 or less for pics.

Rye
Unregistered guest
Looking for a good pair of floor standing speakers for around 300-400. Or would it be better to get bookshelf? I want something that will sound nice but can make peoples ears hurt at times. These will be for music listening only as well as the reciever (recommendations on reciever is welcome also) as well as a sub. Listen to of rap, r&b, rock, and a little classical music.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 320
Why would you want to hurt peoples ears? I don't mean to sound like a your dad or a cop, but you will, if you haven't already, damage your hearing permanently.

It's hard, not to mention expensive, to find a speaker that sounds great "normal" (i.e. safe) listening level, and which can hold together at db levels high enough to injure.

Scroll up this thread for some good $200. recommendations.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 321
http://www.dangerousdecibels.org/hearingloss.cfm

...now I do feel like a cop.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
i just got the speakers set up. they sound amazing and not only that, sounds FULL as hell! i mean the music just follows me everywhere i go... even outside the apartment lol. anyways, my question is when i turn off the subwoofer, they only seem to sound better so would it improve it even more if i get some decent subwoofer or should i do without sub at all? what about those $100 ones you were recommanding me? thx.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 330
I knew you would like them. I would assume a sub might be overkill for music with these speakers, for HT your sub might not be a good match, what is it?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
onkyo skw-200. what did you set your crossover frequency for 35i?

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 333
I don't have the M35i, I have the M32i with no sub. I think I would ditch the Onyko sub, and if you must, go for the Dayton 12" from partsexpress.com for about $130.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 427
LMFAO jenny craig

it keeps on telling me 5kb for pics

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 335
Keep shrinking the image.

LMFAO???

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
so uhh what should i set my crossover freq as now?

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 336
I'm not sure, I would playaround with it until I'm happy.

Rye
Unregistered guest
Hurting people's ears was a figure of speach for an amp that can drive some well made speakers at a high level of sound. I read the previous recommendations, but wanted to get some more ideas since I am willing to spend more money

Silver Member

NYC, NY

Post Number: 801
Start your own thread

Username: Laertes

Cordova, TN United States

Post Number: 1
After having read the entire thread above I guess I shouldn't be surprised that I don't have a clear idea as to opinions regarding the best (primarily west coast Jazz) BOOKSHELF speaker under $500 from a thread about floorstanders.
Anyway the choices seem to be.

Mission M32I
Athena Technologies Audition AS-B2.2
Wharfedale Diamond 8.1

Recognizing that any speaker's quality is subjective first, I don't have access to these for listening/comparison in my area -- Memphis, TN so I wondered if any one has listened to all three and has strong feelings in any direction -- other options in this category are welcome too.
Amp Yamaha - RX-V657
Thanks for you expertise - Matt

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 366
The Missions, Athenas, and Wharfedales are all good sub $200 speakers. The Mission M32i were closeouts & are not readily available from Amazon.com anymore (although I expect them to pop-up again on their sight from time to time until they're all gone), $500 puts you in a whole other category though.

Consider these speakers:

1. Wharfedale Diamond 9.2/$499
2. Monitor Audio Silver S2/$499
3. Totem Dreamcatchers/$450
4. B&W DM601 S3/$450
5. PSB Image B25/$449
6. Monitor Audio Silver S2/$399
7. Alegria Audio Ling/$389
8. B&W DM600 S3/$350
9. Wharfedale Diamond 9.1/$349
10. PSB Image B15/$349
11. Monitor Audio Radius R90/$329
12. Alegria Audio Ling Single/$369
13. Ascend Acoustics CBM-170/$328
14. B&W DM303/$300
15. Epos ELS-3/$296
16. Athena Technologies AS-B2/$190
17. Wharfedale Diamond 8.2/$180
18. Wharfedale Diamond 8.1/$135
19. Mission M31i/$119
20. Athena Technologies AS-B/$99

I'm sure they're a few others that should be mentioned (and will be), but 20 pairs should be enough for you to chew-on for a while.

Post Number: 2
Thanks,
Lists are nice but I was looking for some objective comparison - Which do you prefer?

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 367
The Wharfedale Diamond 9.2, but it's your choice.

John Wagner
Unregistered guest
SDAT SB-E639D speakers beat out a pair of Paradigm Studio 100 V.3 NO BS !!!

Sdat needs to let some of you all try out these great speakers so you all can find out what you have been missing out on! You can get them for only $253.00.

Silver Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 991
White van! White van!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2604
This sounds very familiar to some of us who have been here awhile.

John Wagner
Unregistered guest
"Nucky", they came by FedEx van! FedEx van!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2606
If I remember right there is some white on that FedEx van!

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 368
They're several "white van" speaker companies, I imagine several of them actually make "decent" speakers. Pyle (the auto speaker company) has actually slapped their name on what seems to be one of these speaker lines that I assume come from the same factory in China.

You can check the ubid.com site for Pyle speakers, roll the dice if you want, at least Plye is a brand that I've heard of...I bet they even have a phone number.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 369
By the way, number 6 on my list above is the S1, not the S2.

The Monitor Audio Bronze Series, as well as Paradigm Mini Monitor, can also be included on that above list.

To help narrow things down a bit, here's my top-five:

1. Wharfedale Diamond 9.2
2. B&W DM601 S3
3. PSB Image B25
4. Monitor Audio Silver S2
5. Alegria Audio Ling (I haven't heard it yet, but I trust the reviews)

If the Mission M32i was available, it would have made my list, as would have the Epos M5 & Alegria Audio Emma, if I caught a good deal or had a few more bucks.

Post Number: 3
The reviews I have read on the Wharfedales (diamond 9 and 8) have been universally stellar. However, I have to wonder - other than the difference in woofer size 5" vs 6.5" (wouldn't a subwoofer make up for the discrepancy?) and a subsequent change in crossover frequency -- 50hz vs 45hz and a slightly larger cabinet
(the 9.1 is tiny -- 29.6mm -- 11.6"!)- there appears to be inadequate difference between the 9.1 and 9.2 to justify the $150.00 difference in the price tag.
Can any one testify to a real difference in sound, or lack thereof , between the two?

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 370
Sub-woofers cost money & take up space.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us