Amplifier or receiver for Mission m53

Gene
Unregistered guest
Dear Experts!
I'm using Marantz SR6300 receiver with a pair of Misison m53 (150w, 89dB) but the sound is a bit too thin/shallow to me. I want to upgrade to another AVR or probably buy a stereo amplifier.

Which brand and model should I choose?

Anonymous

I just got a Denon AVR-3805 to drive my Mission m5 series speakers and they sound great. I got a pair of m53 for the front, another pair of m53 for the surround, a pair of m52 for the surround back and a m5c as the center channel.

Silver Member
Username: Cheapskate

Post Number: 103
i have a pair of mission m71s, and agree that the m series is a litle too bright and foreward. they are painful to listen to for long periods of time with my onkyo reciever.

you should be looking for warmer sounding recievers to tame the brightness somewhat. NAD would be a better choice than denon i'd think as i've heard that denon is a little on the bright side too.

if you want to take the cheap route, you might even try sony which tends to be a little polite in the treble.

definately don't go with onkyo and mission. i prefer my onkyo much more than my nad with my slightly polite superzeros though.

i'd bet that those missions would take to tube amplification like a duck to water. check my $250 tube monoblock thread out in this forum if you'd like to try that route.

look for amplification that is "warm", "back row" or "polite" and avoid "bright" & "foreward" like the plague with m series missions.

sony and nad are my best recommendations depending on your budget. used nad is plentiful on ebay.

Silver Member
Username: Cheapskate

Post Number: 104
the tube amp thread is at
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/121453.html
if you're interested.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us