DVD-audio playback / No sound

Bronze Member
Username: Kalda01

Post Number: 47
I recently bought Brian Wilson live at the Proxy on DVD-audio, and couldn't get it to play on a Pioneer DV-563A connected to Maranatz 4200 receiver.
The Marantz has only stereo analog inputs, so I had to setup the Pioneer to only use the stereo analog outputs.
When the disc is loaded you have the option to choose between 5.1 playback or stereo playback, and I did choose the stereo option, but no sound is produced.
I tried Machine Head on DVD-audio, and it plays fine.
I also tried to play Brian Wilson on a Denon 2200
hooked up to Yamaha 596 and it played fine, so the disc is good.
is it related to the 96KHZ sample rate which the Marantz might be not capable to support ??

I am sure my problem is a setup issue but so far couldn't find a solution.
Any help is appreciated.

Silver Member
Username: Sem

New York USA

Post Number: 361
Dan,
I have the same player and found it wouldn't play Steely Dan's Gaucho DVD-a. Sounds like you have a similar situation with the Brian Wilson DVD-a. Mine was fixed with a free (within the warranty) firmware upgrade. See this site to check your firware level
http://www.jvb.nl/jvb.asp?cur=1&level=accessoires&page=title&title=186

There's a lot of good information on the 563-A at
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/56777.html

Check your firmware version and read through the 563 link. Good luck.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 48
Is there any way to upgrade the firmware by myself ?

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 362
None that I know of.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 49
my ROM version is 1.306, so I guess it is fairly old and i dont have warrenty any more so seems like I am screwed.
How do I get the latest firmware update ?

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 364
Dan,

Go to www.pioneerelectronics.com

Under Service/Support/contact us - fill out and send the form back to Pioneer. They were quite fast in getting back to me - less than 24 hours, I think. If I remember correctly they give you the name and address of an authorized service center to send the unit to. I would recommend calling the service center directly and ask how much it will cost (to make sure its worth doing). Though I can't imagine it would cost too much, shipping will need to be figured into the cost.
In my case, because it was relatively new, the dealer I bought the 563A from took care of sending it out (for free), and even gave me a loaner unit to use until mine returned.

As an aside, I'm having trouble playing the SACD disc, Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd. Two different copies both skip exactly the same way at exactly the same spot when played on my 563A. I played one on a different player (at Circuit City, I forget the brand), and it played fine, no skips. That's the only problem I've had since getting the firmware upgrade. I haven't heard or read of anyone else with this problem so it may be confined to my player.
Good luck with yours...

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us