All in one or one for each.

Bronze Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 52
Looking for a DVD player/SACD player, that does upconvert to 1080i. Better to buy the SACD player seperate or does anyone know of any that do both.

So far only the top Denon DVD player seems to do it all... but for $2200 it's way too expensive.

Silver Member
Username: Smitty

Canada

Post Number: 138
Kano,

If you wan't SACD only I'd check out the new new Sony (975?) model.

If you want SACD and DVD-A I'd go for two. Outside of the Denon's you're not going to find a universal player that's very good at video (unless the upcoming Samsung HD941 proves significantly better than the HD841). Have a look at this link for video ratings:
DVD Shootout

I picked up a Pioneer 578a last week and DVD-A, SACD and even CD sound quite good to me - for the price you can't beat it. cnet.com had a favourable review of it.

If you're looking to spend a bit more money for an audio player I'd look at the Onkyo SP502 and Yamaha S-1500 --- they're no better than the 578a at video though even though the Yamaha has Farjouda processing.

Bronze Member
Username: Larry_r

Naples, FL

Post Number: 42
Kano - if you want SACD, but not DVD-A - might check out the new Sony DVRNS975 - at $299 it's a good deal, and has upcomversion as well as fine SACD sound.
Also - may I suggest you look at the Denon 2910, a new model - has all you want for about $725.
And then there is the new and apparently very good Yamaha S2500 - NOT the 1500. About $700 I think?
Don't even think about a Samsung 941 - it's been taken off the market by Samsung with HDMI troubles, and may not come out this year. The 841 has lots of problems.
Those are my recommendations - good luck!

Bronze Member
Username: James0226

Post Number: 17
Smitty, are you using the 578a with its onboard DAC for CD playing? I actually bought that player, compared it with both analog and digital to my receiver, and found that my receiver sounds better.....

I noticed that you have also the NAD T742 (unless you've upgraded), that's why I am interested in your opinion. Thanks by the way. I really appreciate your postings on NAD T742 along with others' opinions.

I've been looking at the Onkyo Sp502 but apparently not much has been written about it. I am wondering if the Onkyo will sound better than the Pioneer??

James

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 141
James,

I generally use the receiver DAC for CD playing, I find the bass slightly better in the limited testing I did. It's definately very subtle though, I doubt I'd be able to tell the difference in a double-blind test.

Your welcome on my NAD T742 opinions, I'm happy to share them.

I suspect the Onkyo *should* sound better than the Pioneer but by how much is hard to say. I was considering that one too, but it was about C$500 compared to C$170 for the Pioneer and the video section is likely not to be that great (based on past Onkyo models). With the limited SACD/DVD-A releases out there and HD-DVD/Blu-Ray down the road I just couldn't justify spending the extra money. It's a new model so I wouldn't expect to see much written about it for at least a couple more months.

BTW, I just picked up the Pink Floyd DSOTM SACD and it's reason enough alone NOT to get a DVD-A only player :-)

Silver Member
Username: Sem

New York USA

Post Number: 308
Smitty,
I just ordered the DSOTM SACD as well, (finally). If you want, after you've listened to it a bit, enter your comments and rating of it over in:
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/68570.html

I should get my copy later this week and look forward to listening to the differences between the SACD and the quad version.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 309
Well, looks like I won't adding my rating or comments on the DSOTM SACD for a while yet. The disc came in the mail today but there is a major tracking problem around the 1:35 mark of Money, lasting around 10-15 seconds. Back it goes.

I did listen to it once but will need to listen a few more times (when I'm finally able to), before I reread Parsons comments on the Guthrie mix. One thing I did notice was the absence of the barely audible Beatles' song, "Ticket to Ride" as the song Eclipse closes out. This can be heard on my Mo-Fi ultradisc and perhaps other later cd pressings as well.

Gold Member
Username: Myrantz

Post Number: 1021
Sem,

A shame about the disc, hopefully the replacement will be okay. A possible reason for the absence of the "Ticket To Ride" insert could be to do with copyright. The SACD version may be considered a new recording and it may not have been worth the trouble to retain it. Anyway no big loss. I'll be interested to read your review.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 310
My Rantz,
Thanks. I just received a confirmation email stating I should have a replacement on Tuesday.

I never thought about copyright issues with regards to "Ticket To Ride" - I always assumed it was there by accident. But then again, I'm not sure the Floyd would record and release anything by accident.

On another topic, Arnold Layne provided this link to an interview with Floyd's drummer, Nick Mason in which he indicated Wish You Were Here and Animals will both be released as SACD's next year....another reason to own a combo player. :-)
http://www.brain-damage.co.uk

Gold Member

Post Number: 1022
Sem,

Now that's great news!

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 145
Indeed!

Has anyone listened to the Roger Waters - In the Flesh SACD?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1026
Smitty

No, but just got The Wall - Live In Berlin SACD. Average sound - would have been better to get the DVD-V of the concert (which I might if I see it).

The review of the In The Flesh SACD on highfidelityreview.com was not very flattering.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 147
Hey Sem, did you ever get a replacement DSOTM disk?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us