Rate your Hi-res discs here!

Thread Last Poster Posts Last Post
Archive through October 31, 2004Sem100

Silver Member
Username: Black_math

Post Number: 179
From Stereophile. It looks like Norah Jones SACD buyers got ripped off...rethink your ratings boys!

"It's not just ordinary music lovers who sometimes can't tell the difference between high-rez and medium-rez. JA mentioned one of the magazine's reviewers who swore he couldn't hear a difference between the CD and SACD versions of Norah Jones's "Cold Cold Heart," using very good dedicated players and excellent ancillary gear. A waveform analysis showed why: They were identical except for the usual SACD noise added to the top end. Further exploration uncovered the fact that the SACD had been made from the 16-bit/44.1kHz-sampled PCM master rather than from the original analog tape."

Gold Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1740
I don't have that one and I don't see anyone else
here rating that disk.

I can't tell you wether the nora jones I do have is any better
then the cd version of the disk because I never heard it
but what I hear on the sacd that I do have sounds great!

I figure there are some hi rez disks "if not quite a few"
that aren't actually hi rez! I'm sure on good recordings it's
pretty hard to tell. which makes it very difficult!

Silver Member

Post Number: 180
Really?

A quick scan sees it mentioned twice...there may be more.

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1741
you mentioned "Norah Jones's "Cold Cold Heart"

I don't see that one anywhere!

I see others but not "Cold Cold Heart"

am I blind or looking in the wrong section?

Silver Member

Post Number: 181
"Cold Cold Heart" is a song on Come Away With Me (#3)! As far as I know that is the only Norah Jones SACD.

Gold Member
Username: Myrantz

Post Number: 1006
"From Stereophile. It looks like Norah Jones SACD buyers got ripped off...rethink your ratings boys!"

Hey Ben, go through your cd collection and see how many times you've been ripped off with poor recordings. It happens in every genre and every format - so what's the big revelation?

The Norah Jones SACD sounds quite good to me - not earth shattering - and not the type of sound that hi-rez MC is going to do a lot for - especially now that cd recording has improved with higher bit rate mastering. Whereas many other recordings benefit greatly by hi-rez and/or MC. There's even many DVD-A's that are only mixed in 44 or 48 mhz but benefit from being well engineered to MC. Donald Fagan's "The Nightfly" is one good example of this.

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1742
got yu ben but I found this that is very interesting!

"Hi.
Michael Bishop is a great guy, but if the quotation is accurate, my multiple sources tell me that he is misinformed (wrong).

CAWM was __not__ a Pro Tools recording session. I have emails from company personnel assuring me that the sessions were multitrack analogue.

I had at first assumed that it was a Pro Tools session, but I was set right on that. Furthermore, the uniformly differing reactions (nearly all positive) to the multichannel SACD mix, and the fact that an LP was made from the session mixdown master indicates analog origin, yet digital laziness when making the SACD 2-ch tracks.

That CAWM was __not__ a Pro Tools session actually makes Blue Note's cost-cutting decision less understandable, IMHO.

Cheers,

john marks
columnist, stereophile "

It looks someone recently has decided differently from stereophile!

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1743
wether it's actually hi rez or not won't change my rating of the disk
because it sounds wonderful!

but it does make me suspicious of it's recording technique!

but then again I'm suspicious of all my recordings to start with
regardless of how they say it was recorded.

I guess the bottem line is does it sound good!

so I report how the music sounds when played on my system,
can't be to sure how it was recorded.

unfortunatly that's the nature of the business!
how do we know how anything is recorded?

as rantz mentiond it seems many disks are not recorded upto there potential
regardless of the format.

Silver Member

Post Number: 182
The big revelation is that the SACD was mixed using 16/44.1 masters. This means that there is no increased fidelity by going to SACD. It doesn't mean that the recording was poorly engineered. I also suspect that you will see the same thing with Beck's "Sea Change".

This is much different than the Dylan and Stones SACD's which used analog masters.

There is a difference in having a poorly mixed CD (or one that doesn't fit the listeners taste) and a DVD-A or SACD that doesn't give you anything over 16/44.1

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1745
again though ben it's if it was!

who can we trust?

all that aside the rating on the disk comes down altimately to, how it sounds!

so as long as it sounds good how it's recorded won't change the rating!

should we be concerned with how it's recorded? YES!\

but if it's recorded in hi rez should not influence
how we judge
the sound quality rating!

Silver Member
Username: Arnold_layne

MadridSpain

Post Number: 236
Ben, Kegger, This is really interesting. I'll open a thread on it.

See ya
AL

Gold Member

Post Number: 1024
Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road - SACD Hybrid + 50 min DVD-A re: Making GYBR.

Rating: 8.5

A real surprise. Excellent multi-channel recording from this 1973 title.

Rodger Waters - The Wall Live In Berlin - Hybrid SACD Rating:6.5

Not bad sound for a live rock concert but would be better off buying the DVD-A IMO.

Silver Member

MadridSpain

Post Number: 244
Bob Dylan - The Freewhelin' (2-ch SACD Hybrid)
Rating: 6.25

Uneven, I suppose due to 40 year old material. An extra .25 because occasionaly on some tracks it's like the guy is standing in my living room with guitar in hand.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1025
Re: The Wall - Live In Berlin . . .

" better off buying the DVD-A IMO."

Should be: better off buying the DVD-VIDEO IMO.

Gold Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 2412
Arnold,

Prompted by your last post here, I listened to "Freewheelin", the LP, yesterday. It has excellent sound quality. The producer was playing silly games to show what stereo could do, and it gets in the way of the music. He was to stereo as many modern producers are to 5.1 - he did not understood what it can, and cannot, do. History repeats itself.

But "Freewheelin" is hi-res sound. CBS, 1963. At that time, other US recording companies, such as Mercury Living Presence, had already achieved sound quality that has still, today, only been equalled, never surpassed.

What would you expect to be the problem with a 40-year old recording, compared with a recent one?

BTW Dylan is sitting, not standing. Maybe they adjusted the balance on the SACD to cater for modern tastes, with most folk songs written on Tin Pan Alley.... (smiley).

Username: Ednmod

Dallas, TX USA

Post Number: 7
Anyone listen to any DVD-A series From the Front Row Live? This is a selection of different artists such as Pat Benatar, Mountain ect. How do they sound?

Silver Member
Username: Two_cents

Post Number: 321
I was given a Front Row Live DVD-A of Bachman, Turner, Overdrive. I've rated it above with a generous score of ZERO. The sound quality is worse than your typical live CD. Listening to the disc, you would think there was cotton stuffed in your speakers. If the BTO is any indication, avoid Front Row Live discs at all costs.

Bronze Member
Username: Donaldekelly

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 96
"..1963. At that time, other US recording companies, such as Mercury Living Presence, had already achieved sound quality that has still, today, only been equalled, never surpassed."

Some Living Presence cds are now out on SACD. I have one that got mediocre reviews even though it is a world class performance. I will listen to it and let you know what I think, but do you really think this old technology is as good as what we have today?

http://www.sa-cd.net/showreviews/2349#1675

Hmm - maybe so

http://www.deccaclassics.com/music/mercurylivingpresence/index.html

Bronze Member

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 97
And this

4 Mercury Living Presence SACDs Arrive in the U.S. Market

The first 4 albums in the long-awaited Mercury Living Presence SACD reissue series arrived in the U.S. on Tuesday as scheduled. As with most of the Universal Music Group classical music SACDs, the Mercury Living Presence SACD series debuted in the European and Japanese markets ahead of the U.S. In fact, all 10 of the Mercury Living Presence SACDs are now available in those areas.

The new SACDs contain for the first time the original 3 Channel recordings of these well known classical albums. High Fidelity Review readers will recall that Universal Music polled Classical Music fans on their Internet forum as to which titles to bring out first in 3 Channel SACD format, and the initial batch of releases largely reflect the most popular selections from that poll.

Three of the SACDs are single SACD discs selling for $18.98 list price while the Janos Starker performance of Bach Suites for Cello is a two SACD set selling for a $37.98 list price. The SACDs were made by Universal in SACD replication lines in Germany and Hong Kong. In fact, in the case of the Starker SACD set I picked up, Disc 1 was made in Germany while Disc 2 was made in Hong Kong.

Early reaction to the sonic quality and value of the 3 Channel SACD playback option on each disc's Surround Sound SACD layer has been very positive. As I reported last week, imported copies of two of this week's releases are being used to demonstrate the new Meitner CDSD SACD Transport, DAC6e 6 Channel DSD Converter and Switchman III preamp/switcher to good effect. Listening to the first four 3 Channel SACDs on my system also validated the early praise. They will be a well appreciated addition to any Classical Music fan's SACD collection.

Antal Dorati, London Symphony Orchestra - Stravinsky: The Firebird (Complete); Tango; Scherzo a la Russe (Mercury Living Classics)

Byron Janis, Antal Dorati, London Symphony Orchestra, Minneapolis Symphony Orchestra - Rachmaninov: Piano Concerti 2 & 3; 2 Preludes (Mercury Living Classics)

Paul Paray, Detroit Symphony Orchestra - Suppé: Overtures (+Auber) (Mercury Living Classics)

Janos Starker - Bach: Six Suites For Solo Cello (2 SACD Set) (Mercury Living Classics)

http://www.highfidelityreview.com/news/news.asp?newsnumber=19507526

Silver Member

Post Number: 324
Don,

Excellent posts. Thanks. If you have any of the original Mercury recordings on vinyl, it'd be interesting to read a comparison between vinyl and SACD.

Bronze Member

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 98
I am listening to the Heifetz / Beethoven and ?cd http://www.sa-cd.net/showreviews/2349#1675

It does sound good. I am not sure I am a Heifetz fan, but the recording quality sounds fine.

Bronze Member
Username: Kingfish

Post Number: 83
Edward,

When I saw the front row live series I didn't want to buy these. Putting a live concert on a DVD Audio disc seemed ridiculous. I feel and still feel these should be for studio music or surpurb live recordings, not old shows from the 70's. I found out that two of my favorite bands from the 70's were going to be in this series. Foghat and Kingfish. There was no question in my mind that I was going to buy these when they came out, for obvious reasons. I had heard that concert by Kingfish in two various forms previously. I had a copy of the show that someone recorded from the recording van outside the concert hall. Another CD that was from a old show that use to air on the radio called The Kingbiscuit Flower Hour. The van recording was good, and the CD from the radio show was even better. I would venture to say this recording on DVD Audio is 2-3 times better sound than the CD from the radio show. I'm very pleased with it, and glad I bought it. The same with the Foghat DVD Audio. I really enjoy both of them. By no means can you compare them to a studio produced medium, especially due to the age of the tapes from the 70's.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1092
Back to rating hi-res recordings:

2 from Donald Fagan (Steely Dan)

The Nightfly (orig 1982) - 48/24 (2.0 & 5.1) DVD-A Excellent regardless of sampling. Have to agree with John S - a wonderful album. Rating: 8.5

Kamakiriad (orig 1993) - 96/24 (2.0 & 5.1) DVD-A. Rating: 9.2

Absolutly wonderful, I consider this our best DVD-A recording - audio quality wise. Steely Dan fans either love or hate this album. It may as well be considered a Dan album as Becker produces and participates. Personally, aside from the incredible "Gaucho" I think this is one of their very best.

"On The beach" - Neill Young. (1974) DVD-A (2.0) Rating: 8.00
Surprisingly wonderful resolution in this recording. 174/24 The songs may not be his best imo, but are made extremely enjoyable to listen by the convincingly adept engineering.

Rattle/Mahler #5

DVD-A - 5.1 (though effectively 3.1). The DVD-A mix didn't 'rattle' my senses as I would have hoped. But very good all the same. Rating: 7.8

Not being a classical musin fan, one shouldn't take too much notice of my rating. The DVD movie in DTS was just as pleasing imo and added a bit more excitement to what I consider is an interesting and very enjoyable recording. To me, the music is very much suited to movie soundtracks as it covers many emotions. And watching Sir Simon Rattle wave his baton is something else. I wonder if the musicians are in awe or in fear.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2466
Mr Rantz,

I wonder if the musicians are in awe or in fear.

My impression was they are still wondering what hit them. His whole approach is hands-on; in there, in the middle of it all, urging them on. He predecessors in that job were aloof directors in comparison. I love the applause in the video. Rattle beams with pride and pleasure at what the MUSICIANS have achieved, and insists that every one of them takes a full share of the credit.

Why do you say "effectively 3.1"? My NAD still has my disc; I have not heard the DVD-a yet because of the copy protection issue.

Username: Beached

DarwinAustralia

Post Number: 1
My favourites

Don Fagen - Kamakiriad DVD-A 96/24K 5.1 = 9.5
America - Homecoming DVD-A 96/24K 5.1 or
192/24K 2.0 = 9.5
Frank Zappa - Halloween DVD-A 96/24K = 9.5
Pink Floyd - DSOTM SACD 5.1 = 9.0
Doobie Bros-Captain&Me DVD-A 96/24K 5.1 or
192/24K 2.0 = 9.2
Al Jarreu - ????????? SACD 96/24K 5.1 = 9.0

My disappointments
Bonnie Raitt - Live DVD-A 96/24K 5.1 = 6.0
Billy Cobham - Spectrum DVD-A 96/24K 5.1 = 5.8
O'Brother - Soundtrack SACD 96/24K 2.0 = 3.5

Gold Member

Post Number: 1120
Stephen, welcome! Good to see a fellow Aussie with similar tastes here. Feel free to join us on the "Old Dog's..." thread, we need more back-up in the on-going debate about hi-res surround vs the dinosaurs - sorry I mean stereophiles :-)

Cheers

Gold Member

Post Number: 1121
John A

I say "effectively 3.1" because the sound dominates the main and center and a little in the sub.The rears may add to the ambience but hardly. Though I am still to have another critical listen.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2488
My Rantz,

Thanks. I shall listen again, when I get my disc back.

Silver Member

Post Number: 327
"Der Rosenkavalier", Richard Strauss, Karajan, Philharmonia O., Schwarzkopf, et al. (Angel monaural LPs, circa 1957) - Rating: 7.0. Some highs sound distorted. Otherwise sound quality is quite satisfying. Picked up used for $4.95.

"Bryter Byter", Nick Drave, Simply Vinyl 180g re-issued LP - Rating: 9. Outstanding sound quality, prefer it to CD.

Bronze Member
Username: Sinkdrain

Post Number: 59
Porcupine Tree "In Absentia" - DVD-A

I wont give it a rating since this is my first dvd-a. I will say that I was captivated from the first note to the last note. PT is very pink floydish so there is a lot of sounds to pan around the speakers. I feel like they did a great job with it. My cat liked it too. In the second number hand claps swirl around the room from speaker to speaker. My cat followed the sound with elation : )

Gold Member

Post Number: 1132
Porcupine Tree "In Absentia" - DVD-A 5.1

As sinkdraiN said this band is Pink Floydish but also seems a combination of many. It is classical rock as much as it is alternate rock, which is not my style, however being a Scheiner surround mix effort and receiving accolades regardless of its mere 48/24 resolution, I purchased it to have yet, another different hi-res surround example - and this is one our son may appreciate also. The music is generously distributed to all speakers, is not drowned by booming bass, has mixtures of quiet relaxing moments and hard driving riffs. An excellent recording and decent alternate/rock tracks. As in Fagan's "The Nightfly" the lower resolution is made almost imperceivable by the high quality Scheiner mixing. My rating: 7.9

Silver Member
Username: Sem

New York USA

Post Number: 343
My Rantz and sinkdraiN,
Good words on Porcupine Tree. I would love to see their back catalog released in 5.1.

Now, if we can just get Kegger to check these guys out...I think he'd like them. I think he and I have close musical tastes.

sinkdraiN, if you haven't already, check out Blackfield, http://www.blackfield.org/
Its a Steven Wilson side project which sounds like it could be a PT disc...only regular cd though, not hi-res.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 66
Sem-
Yeah, I've loved PT for some time now. My favorite is Lightbulb sun. I have not heard Blackfield so I will definatley check it out.

I was so excited about In absentia's 5.1 mix I went right back to best buy and purchased Geoff Tate's solo album. Again, I'm not going to rate these until I have at least 5 so that I can compare better. I am beginning my collection with rock/mainstream because I believe that they will have a more agressive surround sound mix. I certainly do not want to hear the string bass swirling around the room in a Miles Davis Quintet.

Geoff Tate's solo album is nothing like Queensryche. This solo album has a more diverse set of styles present. Tempos are slower and the added space lends itself perfect for licks to jump from channel to channel. I really liked how the mixer presented Tate's voice on the album. His voice sometimes "seperates" from the rest of the music and almost seems to rise up and float around. I enjoyed the mix even better than the music.

I'd say I enjoyed Porcupine Tree better than Tate's solo album. However, I think the mix is slightly better on the Tate album.

My next album will probably be something from Diana Krall.

Silver Member
Username: Bleustar

Pensacola, Florida

Post Number: 191
Has anyone heard the Elton John "Captain Fantastic" SACD or the "Madman Across the Water"? These were released on November 9th.

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1871
SEM: yes I believe you,me,mr rantz do share very simular tastes in music! (among others)

"Now, if we can just get Kegger to check these guys out...I think he'd like them. I think he and I have close musical tastes."

There was another one you guy's mentioned on the discoveries thread awhile back
that I think even rantz picked up that I'm suppose to get.

Well I've been just picking up what I find at my local stores and haven't
seen either of them. lately I'm finally running out of titles and may have
go internet shopping.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 78
My musical tastes range from classical, jazz, pop, and rock. Since most of the reviews have been in those styles I'm going to mention some lesser known material.

Porcupine Tree "In Absentia" DVD-A = 8.9
An excellent mix that does not distract from
the music.
Geoff Tate "Geoff Tate" DVD-A = 8.0
An agressive mix that really gives your
speakers a work-out. A huge bass sometimes
swallows the vocals.
Queensryche "Tribe" Dual Disc = 6.0
The mix is "safe" and distracting in this
format. Again I find the voice slightly
overwhelmed by the huge bass.

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1924
you guys got me very intrigued with this porcupine tree.

checked out there website and like what i hear!

gotta findit now!

Silver Member
Username: Rkvfire

Vancouver, British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 145
lol as ive been reading this forum, all SACD's are from the ooold guys.. none the less they are still good.

my fav is crystal method. legion of boom.

Silver Member

Post Number: 189
NIN Downward Spiral SACD is now available. That's not too old.

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1928
Porcupine Tree "In Absentia" - DVD-A 5.1!

This is an excelent disk and band! Imo
The songs can get a little repedative at times and drawn out though.
The clarity and detail of this recording is second to none!
The drum kit sounds like it's being played right in front of you.
Very good guitar work and the mood music in the background creates a nice stage
for the rest of the band. Vocals are very nice as well!

What stands out for me is the bass guitar and drums! Excelent recording
of these instruements with great clarity!

I don't really see the pink floyd comparison.
I would more clasify it as a cross between (Tool) and (Queensrique)
Two bands I enjoy very much!

Excelent 5 channel mix also 2 channel has a very good presentation.

I give it a 9.2

Grateful Dead - American Beauty

DVD-A 5.1 and 2 channel.

This one doesn't do it for me.
Mostly the music, It's just a little to mellow for me.
Decsent suround mix and seems well recorded for it's time,
not the sparkly, shimmering sounds of others.

overall I found it somewhat enjoyable but nothing outstanding.

I rate it a 7.9

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

Kegger - Had you ever listened to "American Beauty" or The Grateful Dead before?

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1929
Jan no I have not heard American Beauty before.
I have "truckin" on a compilation cd.

That is why I put "This one doesn't do it for me.
Mostly the music, It's just a little to mellow for me."

Also find the recording a "Decsent suround mix and seems well recorded for it's time,
not the sparkly, shimmering sounds of others"

Figure it's probably not "sparkly, shimmering " on the original.

So in the end:
"overall I found it somewhat enjoyable but nothing outstanding.
I rate it a 7.9"

I can only go by my own comparisons and preferences.
So I have stated it as so.

And would hope someone would take my evailuation as one mans oppinion
according to the guidelines I have stated.

I mainly listen to rock new and old so feel confident in my assesment
Of what this disk does comparred to others I own.

Hope that clairifies where I'm at on this rating.

I feel these ratings can give you an assesment of the persons tastes
in music so as you may find someone who has simular taste as yourself
to give you a better judgement of weather you may feel the same!

The more you can see from one poster and there likes along with
dislikes or how they tend to rate the disks should be able to tell
you how to understand where they are coming from on there rating.

Meaning if you tend to agree on some of my earlier postings
then this disk may not bev for you.

But if you tend to disagree with my ratings on some above then
this rating probably does not tell you much.

That is how I use this thread!

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 373
Kegger,
Glad you liked PT. To me the Pink Floyd comparison is less evident on this recording then on their earlier ones. Go to their website and listen to "The Sky Moves Sideways" for instance. With that said, I really don't think they sound like Pink Floyd musically, just that they use some of the same techniques - dark lyrics, multi-layered sound, etc. Because of that I'm able to draw a PF comparison.

If you're looking for more of a PF sound, check out some of Camel's songs. When you're ready I have some suggestions. :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 80
Kegger, I'd be curious to see what you think of Geoff Tates solo album on DVD-A since you enjoy QR. It has a rave review on the Hi-Rez page. It got 100% for fidelity (if that means anything!?)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 82
sorry, i meant, "...has a rave review on highfidelityreview page."

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1936
Sem and sinkdraiN agreed I'd like to check out both of what you
guys are suggesting since we seem to like simular music!

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

Kegger - If you haven't listened to much Grateful Dead, "American Beauty" is either a great or not so great place to start. It has the group's most FM "album oriented rock" of any of the G.D. albums. But it is mellow stuff. And G.D. are, like many things, an acquired taste. Their live albums are generally considered to be the best work and albums allowed them to tour and do twenty minute improvs on "Casey Jones" or "Truckin'". By the time "American Beauty" was made the group had been transformed into a bunch of guys with similar tastes in music that had gone in every different direction imaginable. Folk, rock, psychedlic, acid, ballads, world music, African music, Brazillian music, traditional, new age, etc. all became a blend of the Grateful Dead sound. The appeal of the Dead is, to many people, the idea that no song is static and any time the Dead played a song it would be trasnformed into something new that echoed what experience any given band member had recently (or not so recently) been through. Quite a bit of the G.D. repertoire can be written off as indulgent, unless you happen to like what they are playing at the time. Then you can get lost in the ins and outs of the music and find it exhilarating. "American Beauty" shows little of this. It's a comfortable album for Dead fans but not one that comes close to what the band was really all about. Part of that comes from the fact that, until the death of Garcia when the group stopped touring, they encouraged fans to set up microphones at the apron of the stage, reserving an area just for that use, and viewed the idea of bootleg tapes as the Grateful Dead's revenge on corporate greed. Most Dead albums are not that well recorded for what you like in music, Kegger. But maybe someday you'll return to this disc and find something interesting.

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1939
Jan:

"Most Dead albums are not that well recorded for what you like in music, Kegger. But maybe someday you'll return to this disc and find something interesting."

Agreed many things in life are an acquired taste, and I do come back to
things later and enjoy them much better the next time around.

So I haven't given up on the dead but will come back to it again.

(Just like I keep trying to listen to classical but still can't get into it)

But for right now my rating is an honest opinion.

Silver Member

Post Number: 191
Jerry started out as a banjo picker playing bluegrass festivals. It had been a long standing tradition in bluegrass music for fans to put their tape recorder up on stage and tape the show. The Dead taping came from that.

As far as GD albums Workingman's Dead, American Beauty, and Garcia (Jerry's first solo album which was basically a GD album) are the cream of the crop. The band was a disfuncitonal family and most of their other studio albums were lackluster efforts. The real way to hear the dead is to pick up a live album. The band has always been keen on fidelity (their Mac-driven sound system was state of the art). There are 40 (or so) GD live albums to chose from. Many are entire shows. I would pick one from 68-79.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

The best commercial recording of The Dead that I own is "Reckoning". There were two recordings made of a tour The Dead did in the mid 70's in Europe. One recording, the first to come out, was a purely acoustic set (Unplugged before it's time). The second was a purely electric set. The acoustic set is still the best recording I've heard of The Dead and the best sounding in terms of audio quality. I've not looked on the internet in a while for the recordings but I've never seen this recording out on CD.
I would have a hard time picking what time period to say was the "best" of The Dead. The band changed so much. The early stuff is, for many people, as hard to get a grip on as the later stuff. It was San Francisco 60's stuff when they first began. Kind of like early Jefferson Airplane without Gracie. Somewhat concept driven more than music for the masses. I would put "Working Man's Dead" close to the top for most people to get an idea of what the group was all about. If you like Garcia, his work on his own, with other players, is some of the best of what The Dead could be. If you want to explore music for music's sake, get one of Mickey Hart's later releases. Either you'll love it or you'll burn it on the spot.

Silver Member

Post Number: 192
Reckoning is good! I am waiting for the remastered HDCD to come out. Any album with Ripple is a treat.

I would say that Live Europe '72 (HDCD) is the easiest live album for somebody to start with. It is a compilation from their 1972 European tour. For complete shows One From the vault and Two From the Vault are great because you can hear the band with Pigpen and without. Two different Dead era's. All three CD's are of excellent fidelity.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

On the other hand, if you're after "what sounds good" a Mickey Hart recording in multi channel could have your head spinning around to see where that sound, or that sound, or that sound is coming from. And his recordings almost always test your subwoofer. In the days of Direct to disc recordings, Mickey Hart had a popular disc that included a section where he kicked a drum set down a set of steps. Again either love it or burn it. I'd audition Mickey Hart before I spent money.

Silver Member

MadridSpain

Post Number: 268
Bob Dylan - Bringing It All Back Home
Hybrid SACD 5.1 & 2-ch.
Rating: 7.0

IMO the best Dylan DSD remix. Surround track is particularly airy, detailed and well-balanced. Marvellous.

Cheers
AL

Silver Member

MadridSpain

Post Number: 269
Mozart - Le Nozze di Figaro - Highlights
DVD-A 5.1 & 2-ch. (Naxos)
Rating: 4.0

Turned out to be 44.1KHz/24 bits, say no more. Half-good CD sound from 6 loudspeakers.

Cheers
AL

Silver Member

MadridSpain

Post Number: 270
Led Zeppelin - How the West was Won
DVD-A, 5.1 & 2-ch.
Rating: 6.0

After noting that it wasn't a mindblower like Hotel California, I checked out bitrate: 48KHz/24 bits. Mix is what you can expect when guitarplaying member of the band digs into the archives. But I got this album at good price, 2 discs means a lot of heavy music. Mr. K, you'll like this one :-)

Cheers
AL

Gold Member

Post Number: 1167
Fourplay - DVD-A 5.1, 2.0 & DD5.1

Contemporary Jazz. Mostly instumental (some ambient vocals) except for track 6 - vocals by Philip Bailey of Earth, Wind and Fire.

Quote from review:
http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/Reviews/Reviews.asp?ReviewID=2527

"If you heard a romantically playful conversation, and the language was music, and the music was magic ... it would have to be Fourplay. In their self-titled Warner Bros. debut, this ménage a quatre--comprised of keyboard king Bob James; guitar wizard Lee Ritenour; rhythm-master Harvey Mason; and bass-ace Nathan East, have delivered a jazz "tour de four" that covers an extraordinary expanse of tonal turf."

I agree with the review. Wonderful!

My rating: 8.5

Silver Member

MadridSpain

Post Number: 277
Derek and the Dominoes - Layla and other assorted love songs.
Hybrid SACD 5.1 and 2-ch
Rating: 6.5

Surround mix is brilliant, th instruments fill the room in a very natural way. Sound is crappy and distorted, but IMO so were many of Slowhand's vinyl albums.

Cheers
AL

Silver Member

Post Number: 368
Mozart "Requiem" - Nikolas Harnoncourt, Concentus Musicus Wien, Deutsche Harmonia Mundi SACD. Wonderful, lush performance, with a slightly warm tone especially in the voices (like analog). Disc provides a very clear soundstage, including depth, from front to back: soloists, chamber orchestra, and chorus in both stereo and multi-ch. Rating: 9

Bronze Member

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 99
Has anyone reviewed this one?

Nick Drake - A TREASURY: BEST OF (SACD Hybrid) 9.0

Very nice sound for a late 60's early 70's recording (I think the dates are accurate or close). Finally a Nick Drake cd I can enjoy all the way through.

Also:

The Lindsays - Beethoven's String Quartets, Opp. 130 & 133 (SACD)

I don't have this one, but other non SACDs in the series sound awfully good. 9.0 This is the only one of the nine that is in SACD format, I believe.

At Amazon there is a discussion of how this SACD is not a good recording since it is DDD and not DSD ("In fact I wonder whether this SACD was not simply a 44.1 PCM recording up-mixed to SACD"). But other cds in the series are "recorded at DCS 24-bit A to D convertors at a sampling rate of 176.4Khz." That seems like a pretty good recording quality if microphoned correctly. So what if it is not DSD it is pretty close, right?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005J6YZ

Bronze Member

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 100
Oh, and Jacques Loussier - Best of Play Bach 7.0

Not bad sound if you like that sort of thing. Bach played in jazz style. Original recordings are just 44.1 I think.

Silver Member

Post Number: 373
The Nick Drake albums were well recorded. I haven't heard the SACD, but the CDs sound excellent and the LPs on 180g vinyl sound even better.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2617
Two Cents,

Thanks for the Mozart recommendation. Harnoncourt is a true pioneer; one of the greats, imho.

Don,

Thanks, also.

op.130 and 133 - is there a recording date? Is it in stereo or multichannel?

I recall hearing clips from their two recorded cycles, on the radio. There is recently released a complete set of the Beethoven Qts by the Lindsays, on CD. I am minded to get that provided it is a re-release of their 1960s-70s cycle, which I would guess it is, at the price.

Jacques Loussier original recordings were analogue, surely?

Silver Member

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 101
Op. 130 and 133 (aka Lindays Beethoven String Quartets disc 7 - with the blue cover) is a live rerecording.

This is part of the recently released set of new recordings. Some people think their earlier versions of certain pieces are better, some like these better. I think the audio quality is better on the second set, but I have read there are more mistakes on the second set by the quartet - but it doesn't matter cause they get the spirit of the piece better, etc, etc.

Recorded in 2000-2003 I think. Maybe more toward 2003. Hybrid STEREO. No multichannel.

Loussier - recorded in 93 and 94 - I couldn't find any info on digital or analogue. It does say original recording format PCM - so I guess it was a digital recording.

Username: Froggy

Post Number: 7
Johnny mathis the Christmas album on sony SACD Multichannel is really good, not very traditional but a great recording, enjoyable listening....9

Gretful Dead as mentioned, awsome surround, great vocal harmonies.....9.5

My favorites by far Steely Dan Gaucho, and Donald Fagan Kamakiriad....10

Gold Member

Post Number: 1196
"My favorites by far Steely Dan Gaucho, and Donald Fagan Kamakiriad"

Mine also - stunning!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1196
"My favorites by far Steely Dan Gaucho, and Donald Fagan Kamakiriad"

Mine also - stunning!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2623
Don,

Thanks. Yes, the review I heard played some of the fluffs in performance in the new recording. I have a number of complete sets, but not the Lindays, always highly rated.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2680
Don mentioned Beethoven Op 130 and 133.

Beethoven, The complete string quartets, The Lindsays, on CD, on "Resonance", the budget price label of Sanctuary Records Group Ltd. Astounding sound and performance (to judge from Op 18 Nos 1 and 2). Of the five complete cycles I now have, plus some parts from other quartets, this is the single one I could recommend without hesitation. Probably it is the original ASV cycle. It does not say that anywhere on the box, booklet, or discs, or on the web, or give the recording dates or locations. The named producers and recording engineers are consistent with it being the original ASV cycle, also "Gramophone award winner" on the box, but they do not say if it applies to these specific recordings. Probably, also, they have re-issued the original recordings on this budget label, reserving the new ones for premium-price and SACD. But they do not say that, either.

I listened to some DVD-As before Christmas, and intended to come back with another recommendation of "hi-res". But CDs like these bring back the whole "hi-res" question. I am undecided. Then there is the multi-channel question. If there are benefits of multi-channel for this sort of music, I should like to hear it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1217
Matt Bianco - a jazz trio not a person. Accompanied by various talented musicians, Matt Bianco excels with their first album for many years with their original line-up. Each song is mixed bag of jazz, latin rhythm, soft pop/rock, wonderful easy vocals and interesting interludes make this extremely well recorded album a must for SACD hi-res surround fans.

Matt Bianco - Matt's Mood SACD 5.1, 2.0 and CD

My rating after one listen - 9.0

Highly recommended for surround but more importantly for the music.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1218
Live In Japan - George Harrison

2 disc SACD 5.1, 2.0 & CD. For a live performance the sound is okay - better than Roger Waters live performance of The Wall. Some great songs add to my rating of 6.5

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Please explain,

Why do some people prefer vinyl records over High res cd's, I've been listening to music for 40 years, Vinyl never sounded as good as todays high res cd's to me.

Also what is it with the tube amps that make them so great????????

Maybe my ears don't work the same, but the fidelity out of todays cd's IMHO kick the snot out of Vinyl.

Username: Frank_l

Post Number: 9
Hi Steve

I'm confident that this is an allure or a matter of fashion more than anything.

Regarding vinyl - good quality records (maxi singles) used to sound good but technically could not possibly exceed the digital quality of even a traditional CD at 41kHZ sampling rate and 16bit resolution. And the mechanical deterioration over time (scratch/pop) certainly reduced the enjoyment.

Regarding tube amps - have you ever heard anyone forkign out thousands of $ for a piece of equipment and subsequently acknowledge that they in fact sound shitty??? ... lol

But at the end of the day audio reproduction is is complex issue with room geometrics and acoustics, speakers, amplification, source and (maybe) even cabling impacting on the final product - so while I'm sceptical about tube equipment and a firm beliver in the superiority of a MOSFET design over tubes there still may be people out there who prefer that sound.

And I think we all have to respect this.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Sorry to get off subject guys, Thanks Frank, I absolutely respect anyones right to anything legal, I just don't get it?????.....lol

Username: Frank_l

Post Number: 10
David_bel

"My whish is to have one day all the Genesis, Pink Floyd, Yes, Supertramp, Led Zeppelin, Peter Gabriel and Radiohead in multichannel high-resolution, whatever the format."

My musical universe is pretty much the same - but most of these are 70's recordings - with the originals on analog tapes - the upper 76kHZ of 96kHZ the sampling spectrum would be "empty" so to speak ... lol .. meaning that there would be a lot of wasted storage space with little signal change if you acept that analog tapes were as good as 14-16kHz max ... pretty pointless effort

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2072
Yes we should try to keep this thread to it's original intent.

If anyone wants to start a new thread for cd/vynyl and ss/tube I'm in.

While I'm not a vynyl fan with all the clicks and pops and whatnot.
I am a recently converted solid state guy.
Tubes are so much more enjoyable to listen too.
And the myths about lousy top
and bottem end are just that myths.
And yes they do have more distortion but in the areas of sound reproduction that
is not bothersum to the human ear where the distortion from solid state is.

Here's a link for anyone interested to learn a little more about tubes.
I find it an excelent reading for anyone!

http://home.comcast.net/~enghenry/diy/taste.pdf

(you'll nead acrobat reader , but you can download it for free)

Gold Member

Post Number: 1225
Yes, it would be nice if we could keep this thread for its intended use.

My latest recommendation is the stereo SACD from Terry Evans - "Puttin' It Down"

This hybrid disc is a two channel pleasure. Evans's big gritty voice backed by talented musos such as Ry Cooder belts out Mississippi blues in the laid back, cruisey style that drove me to the blues many years ago.

Rating: 8.4

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
America, Homecoming,the disc in DVD audio is clean, if you are an America fan you'll love this disc, very good surround 9.5

Peter White, Glow, New age classic acoustic guitar
Awsome surround and super clean to listen to. 9.5

Gold Member

Post Number: 1250
Okay, a few more hi -res titles to rate:

Experimenting with titles by artists one is not familar with can lead to three results: Joy, indifference or disappointment. With the following I experience all three.

1. George Benson - Breezin. (Rhino/Warner Jazz) DVD-A. Surround recording is just okay but Mr Benson can breeze on by - music is unexciting and George should not sing although he attempted to in only two numbers. Rating: 4.5

2.Vivino Brothers - Blues Band. (DMP Blues) Hybrid 2.0 & 5.0 (no LFE) SACD. Quite good. Instrumentals and vocals. Good guitar and sax from the brothers. Sound is best in two channel with bass enhanced through the sub. Rating: 7.6

3. Christy Baron - Retrospective. (Chesky Jazz) Hybrid 2.0 & 5.0 (no LFE) SACD. Again quite good. And again, imo sounds better in two channel with sub enhanced bass. Nice voice and repetoire. Rating: 7.3

4. Barb Jungr - Waterloo Sunset. (Linn Jazz) Hybrid 2.0 & 5.1. SACD. Very Nice. Ms Jungr has a voice for all occassions. From her own pen, The Kinks's Waterloo Sunset, Leon Russell's This Masquerade to Dylan's High Water etc, Ms Jung's voice does it all splendidly and she sings Cathy's Clown in a 50's style that I found truly wonderful. Good Surround recording but needs more volume compared to most. Rating: 8.0

5. Diana Krall - Love Scenes. (Universal/Verve Jazz) Hybrid 2.0 & 5.1 SACD. About our 6th DK recording but first hi-res one. Ms Krall is again quite wonderful but all on this title is a bit uneccessary for surround - the DVD-A version is only 44.1/24 so I wonder?. With only the voice, the piano, guitar and bass there is not much to play with for the surround mixer, though I will say her voice comes through so crystal clear it's like she's right in front of you. Rating : 7.8

Silver Member

MadridSpain

Post Number: 310
RPWL - World Through My Eyes (Hybrid SACD 5.1)
Rating: 7.0

This German progressive group's last album came with a DTS 96/24 bonus disc. Now they've taken the final step, releasing their new disc directly on hi-rez.

Sound is a little "digital" and surround mix feels slightly artificial, but otherwise a fine work. Booklet contains specific info on the DSD processing.

Hasta pronto
AL

Bronze Member
Username: Aurora_sandman

Post Number: 40
Elton John - Honkey Chateau (Hybrid SACD 5.1)
Rating: 10

Very rich and full sounding. The mix is true to the original album. Sonically, it's better than Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (possilby a better source recording). The piano sounds incredibly lifelike. And Honkey Chateau is a great album anyway. I highly recommend this.

Silver Member

Post Number: 204
NIN the Downward Spiral SACD 10/10. Great Album and Great Remaster plus a great disc of bonus tracks. Nothing else needs to be said on this one.

Silver Member

Post Number: 454
Bryon Janis, Rachmaninov Piano Concertos 2 and 3 (Mercury Living Presence Hybrid 3.0 SACD). Rating: 5 for sound quality. 9 for performance.

Really disappointing considering the hype around the Mercury Living Presence recordings. First thing you notice is the tape hiss. Against this noisy background you hear strings so lush that it could be mistaken for mush. The sound of cellos especially is rendered poorly. At times it sounded like the wind lowing on cellophane. The piano fares better. This is really the only reason to buy this disc. Janis gives a commanding performance of these two works of Rach.

Silver Member

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 102
I have a cd from the Mercury Living Presence series - Heifetz and Munch - Beethoven Violin Concerto in D and Mendelssohn Violin Concerto in E minor.

Sound-pretty good, very good for the 1950's. 7.0
Performance - a classic I am sure but not that exciting to me. 8.0

On the other hand I have a Pentatone Classics sacd Mozart Clarinet Quintet in A - Grumiaux Quartet. Performance 10, sound 9-10!!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 467
Ryan Adams, "Heartbreaker" (Mobile Fidelity SACD).

This is a stereo-only hybrid sacd/cd. The sound is incredibly palpable and clean, especially on the acoustic tracks, which make up most of the album. The only complaint I have is that Adams' voice is closely miked and makes it sound more forward than the instruments. But this is nitpicking an excellent recording.

The real reason to get this album is for the music, which, as you might guess from the title, is all about breaking up. What is it about breaking up that inpires musicians to write great music? "Heartbreaker" has a downbeat tone, not unlike Beck's "Sea Change" in that respect. But it sounds more traditional, folksy, alt-country than the latter. You can hear Dylan's influence througout the album. "Oh My Sweet Carolina," with Emmylou Harris singing background, is a stand-out track on the album.

Sound: 9.5
Music: 9.5

Silver Member

Post Number: 211
Everybody should own at least one copy of Heartbreaker.

Silver Member

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 103
Has anyone compared the regular cd with the SACD? I have and like the regular cd - am I missing something by not getting the SACD?

From the 9.5 rating for sound I guess the answer is yes?

Silver Member

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 104
I meant to say I have the regular cd and like it. Am I missing a lot that the SACD has to offer.

Silver Member

Post Number: 471
Don, I haven't compared the redbook cd with the mofi-mastered sacd so can't really answer your question. The sacd is reasonably price. It could be interesting to get it just to do a comparison to find out if mobile fidelity mastering makes much of difference on the cd version and if sacd adds much sonically to the cd layer. Just a thought.

Silver Member

Post Number: 213
I think the MOFI CD layer sounds better than the Bloodshot version. I say this but the difference isn't as profound as when MOFI was knocking the snot out of inferior mastering done by major label releases (Pink Floyd, The Who, Steely Dan, etc...) MOFI's Gain 2 mastering is still excellent. SACD is a great plus on this one.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2825
George Frideric Handel
Messiah
Coro della Radio Svizzera
I Barocchisti
Director, Diego Fasolis
ARTS MUSIC 45007-6
96/24 5.1 DVD-Audio

Bronze Member
Username: Canuckinapickle

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 58
I recently picked up a Telarc SACD titled 'On Broadway,' which contains a number of score selections from recent Broadway musicals. This compilation is conducted by Erich Kunzel and played by the Cincinati Pops Orchestra.

Aside from the wonderful renditions Kunzel leads the Cincinati Pops in, the quality of the recording I've found to be outstanding. It's a wonderfully well engineered Stereo SACD with a very warm and full sound. Telarc has always made great classical recordings and from a quality standpoint this is one I'd rank at the top!
Check it out at Telarc's website: http://www.telarc.com

Gold Member

Post Number: 1448
Dave Grusin - "Two for the Road"

DVD-A 5.1 - Grusin's, band and guests play excellent versions of 10 Henry Mancini movie compostions. Diana Krall lends her voice to two numbers. Mixed by Al Schmidt who can't said to overdo the surrounds. Well mixed, excellent musicians and great jazz.

Rating: 8.2

Username: Jbecvar

Post Number: 4
Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral on SACD
This remix and remaster of it is great, especially on the surround version. You hear a lot of things you wouldn't normally pick up off the old cd, and all the channels get good use. The clarity on this one is pretty good. I'm gonna go with 9.5/10. Even though it seems most people in here are more geared to classic rock, I would suggest picking this one up to see how something recorded fairly recently holds up, and what the future holds. Part of the reason I think this one is so great is that the original artist and producer remixed it, instead of handing it out to someone else.

Username: Gm7cadd9

Hollywood, CA United States

Post Number: 3
I may have missed it, but still no mention of Billy Joels The Stranger? That was my first surround SACD followed closely by Dark Side. The Billy Joel disc is amazing, I am apartial to it seeing as it is my first surround disc, but very tasteful but still taking advantage of the rears with the acoustic guitar (I love that trick).

Joe Satriani: Strange Beautiful Music 6.5/10...eh, OK mix, not worthy of super hi rez, some cool surround stuff, nothing too exciting though.

Dark Side of the Moon: 10/10 The best, just because its floyd! I heard many rumours of the wall being remixed for SACD for its anniversary this year. I will take ANYTHING Floyd though, Wish you were here, Meddle, Animals...etc. I do have the wall on DVD though, decent surround mix.

most everything else I have has been reviewed already, but I do LOVE Goodbye yellow brick road...and Beck's Sea Change.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 432
Roy,
From the brain-damage website:
"The full surround mixing of the 1975 album Wish You Were Here is ongoing. Doing any work like this takes time to ensure it is right, and provides the best possible audio experience, but PFM confirm that we are probably looking at the end of this year for a release of the album in hybrid CD/SACD (Super Audio CD) format."

Nothing on The Wall being released on SACD at this time, though it looks like Roger Waters is working on bringing it, in play form, to Broadway sometime in 2006.

Bronze Member
Username: Jbecvar

Post Number: 16
Well, they did release that 2 disc version of the concert of The Wall that Roger Waters did, picked it up out of curiosity, haven't gotten to listen to it, but with Cyndi Lauper singing on Another Brick In The Wall Pt. 2, I'm gonna go out on a big limb and say it's not gonna be as good as the original.

Username: Gm7cadd9

Hollywood, CA United States

Post Number: 4
wow, I hope thats true...WYWH would be amazing. As for the wall...yeah I have debated checking it out, I have heard mixed reviews, but I would love to hear the album version in surround, I love the movie in surround, but I still need to hear the orignal in surround.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1583
Eric Clapton (or God as he is sometimes known)

2004 SACD mixes (5.1, 2.0 and CD):

451 Oean Boulevard (1974) - Great recording and mostly excellent tracks (including 3 bonus tracks for SACD) - surround mix very good and not overdone. Rating 8.5

Layla (and other love songs) - Derek and the Dominos (1970). Not as many great tracks IMHO but good listening and the surround mix as above. Others may like some tracks I don't as E.C. is best at blues IMHO. Rating 7.5

Thank Eric for Eric!

Silver Member
Username: Larry_r

Naples, FL

Post Number: 823
Berlioz "Requiem" Atlanta symphony and chorus - Telarc SACD 60627. Grammy-winner, and should be! If you like spacious, spine-tingling sound, this is a disc to have. Just don't expect a "pop" album from this! Serious music that Mer says "makes you see angels." Hmmm. . .

All of the Michael Tilson Thomas San Francisco Symphony "Mahler series." Simply wonderful sound, and the interpretations are, to me anyway, top-notch. Two Cents is lucky to live nearby, so he can hear such performances "live." The rest of us can only dream - and listen to the SACDs. . .

Silver Member

Post Number: 510
Larry,

Yes, the MTT/SFSO Mahler discs are outstanding in terms of performance and recording quality. Do you have Solti's version of Mahler 2? Would you recommend it? I'm thinking of getting it... on vinyl--the true high-res format.

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 824
Two Cents: Sorry, I have no vinyl anymore. I do remember hearing Solti's performance on disc, but a long time ago. As I remember, I found it a bit too hard-driving - but again, that's more than 15 years ago, my friend. Even elephants forget! (grin)

Gold Member

Post Number: 1598
"on vinyl--the true high-res format."

Oh no! - here we go again!

2C - stop it, your'e making me cry - LOL!

Silver Member

Post Number: 512
Rantz,

LOL. Don't mean to make you cry. But after going through CDs, SACDs, and DVD-As, I've come full circle to LPs. Vinyl isn't for everyone though. A lot of people would consider it a p.i.t.a. But hey I'm now in the tubes and grooves camp. I think I'll be there a while. Someone should start a new thread Teaching a New Dog Old Tricks or an Old Dog Old Tricks.

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 827
MR - eat your heart out - there's more and more vinyl on the market - go to Acoustic Sounds and other sites - and my friend, have you seen all the new (and tres expenseev) turntables? Seems that, like tube amps, there's a resurgence of interest in the gold ole LP! Click and pops be, danged, I guess?

I'm sticking with SACD.

BY THE WAY - newspaper this morning said a new Bruce Springstein album is coming out - get this: ON DUAL-DISC. Seems there's a big push to get this genre/format off the mat and on the salesroom floors. Will it rise up and beat down SACD? Welllll - it might. . .

Silver Member

Post Number: 513
Larry R., I've read a little bit about dual disc and I still don't know what it is. It's not SACD. It's not DVD-A. And it's not redbook CD. Let us know what it is if you find out. Did you know that the sale of vinyl records is higher than the combined sales of SACD and DVD-A?

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 829
2C - yeah, I've read about the vinyl sales increases, and it both surprises and delights me, as an unrepentant LP-lover! (grin)

OK - the "dual-disc" in its latest incarnation is a CD on one side - a DVD-video on the other. However, the DVD side may also be DVD audio. Seems to depend on the individual disc.

At first, the CD side was NOT Redbook quality, and there was a big court battle - or maybe two. From what I read, the CD side is now Redbook - although Jan or John might set me straight on that.

Also - the first dual-discs were thicker than normal - and stuck in many CD players. Recently, in Europe, some new thickness standards were set, and from what I read, the thickness issue has been pretty much resolved.

So - now the floodgates are open, and a lot of pop/rock stuff will be coming out in dual-disc format - to grab the attention of those who want their rock seen, as well as heard (or is that "herd?")

There are predictions that the DD will take over from DVD-A first, SACD second, and go on to win the format battle - like VHS vs. Beta in tape. I'm not sure of that - but I'm watching it carefully.

So, you're joining the "retro sound" group? Heck, good for you. Give me a shout about what you do regarding record-cleaning and the likes. Do you still have the constant click-pop issues? If you're anything like me, you are a clean-nut, and spend as much time preening discs as playing them! (double grin)

You might Google dual-disc and find out the latest info. If you like to hurt yourself. . .

More anon. . .

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 439
The Alan Parsons cd, A Valid Path will be released on dual disc this summer. DVD-A on one side, redbook cd on the other. Or so I've been told.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
Roy Burns I just picked up Billy Joel The Stranger, I have one word that describes that album for me, Awsome, The album is so well done.

I just picked up Elton Johns first album Elton John, another fantastic hi res recording.

Two more guys REM Automatic for the people and Paul Mccartney Venus and MARS.

If you like Elliot Sheiners engineering I would put all of these at that level of expertise, all of the discs I have listed here are very clean, spatial, I rate them up there with Steely Dan Gaucho.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1601
This thread was an idea to offer those interested in the hi-res formats a place to (a) review and rate their recordings and (b) a place to find out how others rate the available hi-res recordings. I would appreciate very much if other unrelated comments could be kept to other threads. If this thread becomes a mish mash of various topics it will lose its intended benefit to us all. Thankyou.

Silver Member

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 114
Another plug by me for Nick Drake's SACD - I just picked up one of the remastered cds - "Bryter Later" and it does not appeal to me nearly as much as the SACD. 9.0 for sacd

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 833
Sorry, Rantz, I'll get back on track and take my other comments to the Dogs site.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1603
Larry - my comment was for everyone - myself included. It's very easy to digress on these threads. Thank you my friend.

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 836
In my kit-bag of new SACDs today was a wonderful disc by the Florestan Trio. Piano, violin, cello. Playing music by Debussy, Faure' and Ravel. Stunning performance - stunning sound.

This is the first SACD I've purchased that was recorded in DSD - the "reason to be" for SACDs. Not only is the sound superb - but the silence when there is not music is eerily - black. No feeling of congestion or that "something" is there. Nothing. silence. Amazing.

I heartily recommend this disc to the likes of John A. - who could take great solace in the fact that these are three wonderful British musicians, and that the disc was recorded at Henry Wood Hall, London.

Hyperion REcords - SACDA67114. One of the nice things about this group is that it hits all the notes - but in a way that is not heavy-handed. Too many chamber groups sorta "saw away." Not these folks - they have every nuance and grace-note under their belts - and instead of just hitting a note, they will somehow float into it. The overall feeling is of civility and cohesiveness.

If you like small-ensemble playing - buy this disc. Audition it Online if you can.

ONe of the other discs in today's "Christmas box" was the Charles Munch/Boston symp. version of SAint-saen's "Organ Symphony." I know it will shake the house - so I'll play it tomorrow and review it afterwards. This is one of those "welcome back, old friend" situations: I once had the LP, and Two Cents would have adored it - sonically and musically superb. Latr. . .

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 846
Picking up where I tried to continue last night, but couldn't access the forum - - -

Mer got to listening to the Florestan Trio with its Ravel and Debussey, etc. - and flattened my perceptions with: "well, it sounds like New Age, Romantic-period style." Hmmm. . . Perhaps she's a bit on the "correct" side there - but I do enjoy the music sorta bubbling along. Nowhere as great as Schubert, though!

NOW - finally - as to the disc I've been hopping up and down over. You all know Saint-Saens, of course - Carnival of the Animals, The "Organ" Symphony, etc. Well, I did not - and you may not have known about his piano concertos. Just plain amazing compositions!

I happened upon them whilst researching some other things on Acoustic Sounds. Found two new discs featuring conductor Thomas Sanderling, of whom I've barely heard; pianist Anna Malikova, of whom I've barely heard; and the WDR orchestra of Cologne, of which I have not heard.

Add to that the record label: "Audite," of which I've not heard. Sigh. Have I heard of Anything???

I've got disc number two - the 3rd and 5th concertos. I rate the sonics a 10, the performance a 10. Absolutely stunning presentation, with music that I'd swear is impossible to play.

The first movement of concerto #3 (Allegro maestoso) starts out with keyboard fireworks, and just doesn't let up until even the listener is exhausted at the end of the movement. From there, the concertos take one on a rollercoaster ride through andante, molto allegro, etc. - finishing up some 61 minutes later - amidst cheers from this ole scribe!

I tried to order disc #1, as well, but it's back-ordered. Will surely get that, as well. Alternative recordings include Andre Previn with LSO - but this one must surely take top prize. I highly recommend it to anyone who loves "Rach 3" the Rachmaninoff 3rd concerto. Martha Argerich may hold the gold on that piece, but Ms. Malikova gives her many runs for the performance money on this disc.

Two Cents - with your growing collection, I highly recommend this - although getting it on vinyl may present a problem. I'm sure you're very aware of Acoustic Sounds - and all the vinyl that's listed there. . .

OK - will post the reissue of the "Organ symphony" later. Must away to clean house in prep for arrival of inlaws for Easter on Sunday. Sigh. They'll probably just fight, as usual. . .

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 851
To all: Had to stop cleaning when the UPS truck honked. Brought two new SACDs - had to immediately unwrap them (only took about 15 minutes per disc)

First - Mingus Ah Um. Complete re-do of a 1959 album - his first for Columbia. Sound quality is amazingly good - there is a tad of tape hiss here and there - but overall I'd say the quality is far above the average "regular" CD of today. Mingus, of course, in his individualistic stylings, doing some of his own compositions. Three bonus tracks on the SACD - that were not on the original album. I'm finding that more and more, such as the five extras on the Bill Evans disc. I give the performances a 9, and the sound at least an 8 - maybe better than that. Fun, funky, bluesy disc.

Freddy Kempf is a wonder. Pianist. Character. Interpretor of Beethoven - and in his SACD of Ludwig's opus 1 and op. 97, the "Archduke," he spreads his wings and flies. Fine sound, a sometimes-too-close mic situation, but overall this is yet another SACD that must be heard.

John A. - I know you love the Beethoven quartets, as do I, but I urge you to take a listen to some of the trio-movements at your leisure.

End of Christmas boxes for now - so I have only the "Organ symphony" of Saint-Saens to review, which I may not get to until later. Easter-guests arrive tomorrow, and I'm the cook-bottle washer-cleaner-pacifier rolled into one. Tired is what I'll be by Sunday night!

And a fine weekend to all!

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 1738
Mark KNopfler - Shangrila - Warner Bros Music - DVD-A + CD Rating: 8.00

Although very enjoyable with excellent 5.1 sound, it should have rated 10 or close to it. I am a big fan of Knopfler/Dire Straits but I find his voice tends to become a little monotonous over an hour of listening, thus I believe backup singers (preferable female) would have worked wonders for some of his recordings on this album. The other disappointment was a lack of what knopfler does best: his long guitar solos. Again the sweet long Gibson riffs were missing on this album - has Mark forgotten how? Recommended.

Robert Cray - Time Will Tell - Silverline - DualDisc (DVD-A/CD). Rating: 9.00

Great songs, great voice, great guitar work, great recording. Subtle use of surrounds suited to the album. Highly recommended.

Pat Metheny Group - Imaginary Day - Warner Bros Music - DVD-A - Rating: 7.00

Great 5.1 recording with ample use of surrounds. An ecclectic smattering of electronic and instrumental contemporary jazz - just not my kind. Interesting.

Roxy Music - Avalon - Virgin Records - SACD - Rating: 8.7

Electronic and instrumental rock music at its best. Ferry can really croon. Excellent surround reproduction. Highly recommended.

Elton John - Honky Chateau - Universal/Island/Chronicles - SACD - Rating: 8.7

Another brilliantly reproduced surround album - much better than 'Yellow Brick Road". Though not a huge fan of E. J. this was an album we had soon after we were married. Loved it then,lovng it over again. Highly recommended for sound, music and memories.

Buddy Guy - DJ Play MY Blues - JSP Records - SACD - Rating: 8.9

What can I say. Surround sound good, Guy's singing and guitar work excellent. Great raw blues with this foursome (Phil Guy on rhythm guitar)For the blues fans - highly recommended.

James & Lucky Peterson - If You Can't Fix It - JSP Records - SACD - Rating: 7.9

Good surround recording. James (Lucky's father) does all the singing. He has that typical hard-edged gravel voice well suited for raw electric blues. Good stuff - not as good as Buddy Guys album but worth buying for blues fans.

BTW: all the above SACD's are hybrid MC,Stereo & CD.

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 1810
Guitar Shorty with Otis Grand - "My Way OER The Highway" - JSP Records. Multi-channel Hybrid SACD. Very good hard hitting blues. Recommended. Rating: 8.2

Peter Gabriel - "Up" - Multi-channel Hybrid SACD. Great surround mix, crappy songs imho. I never realised Peter Gabriel could get so arty pharty. My fault for not listening to samples first. Rating: 6.5

Gary Moore - "Back To The Blues" - DVD-A - Poor surround - full on, hard-hitting blues as Mr Moore does, but I think I'm getting too old for such heavy stuff. If you like it heavy then I recommend it. Rating: 7.5

John Pizzarelli - "My Blue Heaven" - Multi-channel Hybrid SACD. Very good natural sounding Jazz recording with great musicianship, good songs - although the multi channel mix is a bit of a let down. Recommended. Rating: 8.3

Grover Washington Jnr - "Winelight" - DVD-A Another Elliot Scheiner mix and it shows. Apart from the extraordinary talent and jazz music the multi channel recording is wonderful also. Such a shame this great saxophonist died so young. Features "Just The Two Of Us" with Bill Withers on vocals - sensational. Highly recommended. Rating: 9.2

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 1835
Deitra Farr - "Let It Go" - Hybrid Multichannel SACD - quite good surround. Deitra reminds me of Etta James but a bit more laid back. Good blues. Rating: 7.5

Spyro Gyra - "The Deep End" - Hybrid Multichannel SACD. Contemporary instrumental jazz with soft rock leanings. Wonderful recordings and surround sound. Powerful. Highly recommended. Rating: 9.2

Poncho Sanchez - "Out Of Sight" - Hybrid Multichannel SACD. Percussionist extraordinaire with great back up guests. Wonderful latin based jazz. Ray Charles singing Mary Ann is fabulous just like the rest of this well recorded surround album. Highly recommended. Rating: 9.3

Bryan Ferry - "Boys and Girls" - Hybrid Multichannel SACD. Sensational rock with excellent electronic fusion. Excellent songs and surround sound - if you like to rock a little. Highly recommended. Rating: 9.5

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 1837
Monty Alexander - "My America" - Hybrid Multichannel SACD from Telarc (Pure DSD recording). Great Piano work by Alexander. This is a good gutsy instrumental with a few vocal tracks thrown in - a touch of jazz, blues, reggae and rock. Terrific surround mix. Highly recommended. Rating: 8.5

John Pizzarelli- "Knowing You" - another Hybrid Multichannel SACD from Telarc (pure DSD recording). Great band, great sound with subtle use of surrounds to suit the laid-back music - Pizzarelli croons some good old jazz favourites. Recommended. Rating: 8.2

Mark Knopfler - "Sailing To Philadelphia" - DVD-A + CD. I almost didn't order this one after buying "Shangrila" which I have come to really like a lot after a few listens, but I'm glad I did. A few innovations for Knopfler that work well. Great tracks, a little too subtle on the surrounds for the music genre (as with Shangrila)but overall I can thoroughly recommend this as I do "Shangrila". Rating: 8.5

New rating for Shangrila: 8.9

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 1879
Dire Sraits - "Brothers In Arms" - The 25th Anniversary Edition in Hybrid Multi-channel SACD.

If you like D.S. and you have a universal/SACD player - get this new hi-res version.

More info: https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/138565.html

I am yet to rate a hi-res recording a 10 and I won't start now because nothing is perfect - yet. However, this beautifully remixed version is probably the closest I'll come to awarding a ten - for the excellent surround mix, for the superb fidelity and for nostalgic value I'll rate "B.I.A." a big 9.8. Highly recommended.

Silver Member

MadridSpain

Post Number: 379
Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms
Rating 7.5
(Equal to reference on my scale, DSotM)

Fantastic surround mix, bringing out things I never would have expected to be there in the low-rez digital source material. Magic, a "Must have".

Cheers
AL

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 481
Porcupine Tree - Deadwing DVD-A 5.1 surround.
Very nice sounding surround mix and like their last surround release, In Absentia, its mixed by Elliot Scheiner. Also like their last release its recorded at 48k/24bit. You probably wouldn't know it unless you read it though. The sound is very good.

Rating: 8.5

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 2009
Hotel California - DVD-A - 5.1 - The title track is a knockout and very well mixed. The resolution is excellent. Because I have done this album to death in my earlier years I can't get overly excited about it. But for the sound I'll recommend it and rate it a 8.8

Poncho Sanchez - Hybrid Multi-channel SACD - I got this because I was knocked out by "Out Of Sight" which musically I prefer. Great surround mix though. Recommended. Rating: 8.5

"Monte Alexander meets Sly and Robbie" - Hybrid Multichannel SACD from Telarc Again Great Piano work by Alexander. This is a good instrumental form a great musician. Great surround mix. Recommended. Rating: 8.5

Blues for thre Soul - Mighty Sam McClain - Hybrid Stereo SACD from Telarc. Great blues and good recording. Recommeded. Rating: 8.5

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 2101
Monty Alexander/Ray Brown/Russell Malone - Monty Alexander/Ray Brown/Russell Malone a pure DSD Telarc surround recording (Hybrid) - a piano, a bass, an acoustic guitar. Excellent sound, excellent talent. Excellent jazz. Highly recommended. Rating: 8.9

When I Look In Your Eyes - Diana Krall. Verve DSD Surround/stereo SACD. I have the CD and this SACD puts Diana right in our room. That's not a bad thing. Great stuff as usual. Good surround recording. Rating: 8.2

Black & White Night - Roy Orbison and friends. DVD-Audio 5.1 & Stereo. Bonus DVD-V of concert. An Elliot Scheiner mix and it shows. Again, much better than the CD. One of the best live performances on hi-res surround I've heard. Also available on SACD. I chose the DVD-A version as it was mixed at the highest possible resolution. 96/24 for 5.1 and 192/24 for 2 channel, so I took this route instead of a non pure DSD SACD version. The sound is top notch. Highly recommended. Rating: 8.9

Username: Woody

Kiama, NSW Australia

Just a quick couple...

The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots (DVDA)
The album is totally reconstructed for surround. If you think you know the CD, forget it. I'm sure I'm not the only to declare this one 'a trip'. One of Elliot Scheiner's landmark projects, and that's saying something. Great package too, with videos, documentaries etc.
Rating : 9/10

Peter Gabriel - Up (SACD surround)
I have to go with this one,as the rest of the back catalogue hasn't been released in 5.1 yet. The surround mix brings all of PG's meticulous background detail to life, exposing all the threads that hold his work together. This is one of those recordings I've actually gone from speaker to speaker individually to listen to what's going on. Song highlights 'Growing Up', 'I grieve'. Packed with emotion and class.
Rating : 8.5/10

Jeff Wayne - War Of The Worlds (SACD surround)
This jumped to the top of the pile after 1 listen. Incredible detail and great mix, impressive without being gimmicky. Then again, the story doesn't lend itself to a timid, conservative mix. If a recording can still hold you and reveal new things after 25 years, it'll do me. A must-have for any fan of SACD/5.1.
Rating : 9.5/10

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 2129
"The Girl In The Other Room" - Diane Krall. DualDisc (DVD-A 5.1 48/24 stereo 96/24) I listened to the cd version a while back and was undecided. I bought this DualDisc version to see if my player would again have trouble playing the cd layer, as it did on a Robert Cray DualDisc - and yes, it did. But, although the DVD-A version could have been in a higher resolution, the improvement in the 5.1 recording for me was a no-brainer. Wonderful (except last two tracks) Recommended. Rating: 8.8

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1101
You liked "The Girl in the Other Room"? I bought it, then sold it. I liked "Temptation" so I bought that single. I found the writing to be clunky. Kind of a schizoid Elvis C/Diana hybrid which for me was unappealing. I like them both as seperate artists but not so much together.

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 379
Personally, Diana's cover of Joni Mitchell's "Black Crow" is worth the price of this disc,imo. Unfortunately, in spite of being a long term fan of both EC and DK, I don't think any of their co-written songs will become standards. I hope I'm wrong.

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 380
Beethoven Symphonies Nos. 5 & 7 Vienna Philharmic/Carlos Kleiber DVD-A 96kHz/24 bit (also available in SACD).
Thirty years ago, I remember the torrents of critical praise that rained down on these recordings of the 5th and a year later, the 7th. On the best turntables these symphonies were magic. Now there are hi-res versions. Other than a very slight harshness and some tape hiss, these performances are still indispensable.

I must admit, regarding the 5th especially, it's easy to dismiss this work as "I've been there and done that", but it's about time you rehear a powerful work performed powerfully.

I do think it's interesting these recordings were originally recorded in quad....

http://www.audaud.com/audaud/APR05/hires/hires2.html#kli

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3495
Thanks, JOHN S.

It has been said before - "quadraphonic" and "ambisonic" recordings were going to be the next big thing in the mid-1970s, with even the big labels making surround sound recordings. It failed and most people think is was because consumers decided not to buy into any one of the competing formats, for fear that one of the others would prevail. So none of them did. Right now SACD seems to be pulling away from DVD-A, at least to judge from retail outlets in my area.

Here is an "original instruments" re-release of Beethoven 5, on DVD-A. I have it on original stereo LP. Superb. Many people do not buy into the "Fate knocking at the door" idea! It is still a fantastic piece. Whenever people talk about bass timing or rhythmic bass, I wonder if the have ever heard the last movement.

http://www.wyastone.co.uk/nrl/dvd/9004a.html

wineguy
Unregistered guest
Here's a quick rating of the recording quality (not material) of the discs I own based on a five star system for Resolution/Surround Mix/Bass Track:

SACD:

Roxy Music Avalon 4 5 4

Rolling Stones Let It Bleed 3 3 2

Pink Floyd DSOTM 4 5 3

Police Every Breath U Take 4 3 4

Steely Dan Gaucho 4 3 4

DVD -Audio:

Seal Best of 5 4 1

David Sanborn Time Again 5 5 5

REM - Best of 4 3 3

Sinatra at the Sands 2 3 1

Stone Temple Pilots Core 4 4 4

Eagles Hotel California 4 4 3

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 2187
Spyro Gyra - Hybrid Multichannel SACD

(1) In Modern Times - Rating 9.2
(2) Original Cinema - Rating 9.2

As with their 'Deep End' SACD, this band excels at what they do - playing music! The Heads UP (Telarc) DSD recordings are absolutely superb.

Diana Krall - The Look Of Love - Hybrid Multichannel SACD - Wonderful recording. Rating - 8.8

John Pizzarelli with the George Shearing Quintet - great old popular jazz. Another pleasant superbly recorded SACD from Telarc. Rating: 8.0

Peter White - Glow - Single Layer Multichannel SACD. This jazz guitarist has put together a very cruisy instumental album in 'Glow' - wonderful! Rating 9.0

Pieces Of A Dream - Hybrid Multichannel SACD - Wonderful Jazz album. Mostly instumental Piano/Sax leading with a couple of songs from their female vocalist, Tracy Hamlin. What a voice! Rating 9.2

Natalie Cole - Ask A Woman Who Knows - Hybrid Multichannel SACD - Excellent Songs from a great talent. Rating 8.5

Crowded House - DVD-A Multichannel/Stereo. I got this one as there are few hi-res recordings of Aussie (NZ) bands. This one came highly recommended from hifidelityreview.com but you really need to like the old CH songs to agree with them. The review raved about the recording - maybe back then it was something to behold but with many great surround recording available now I can only consuder this one average. Rating - 6.5

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 2188
Whoops!

The Pieces Of A Dream SACD is titled "Love's Silhouette"

Gold Member

Warren, MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2574
Yo Rantz any of those latest ones anything I may like? If you could guess!

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 2189
Kegger

Spyro Gyra is a bit like fusion jazz (but not as messy) - mostly sax and piano, guitars - acoustic/electric, lots of percussion and are great surround sacd's. Peter White's Glow is similar, but a bit more laid back, while Pieces of a Dream are a funky jazz similar to SG. All are excellent surround recordings. These mostly instrumental jazz recordings come closer to rock than other jazz styles with heavier low ends and good rhythmic beats.

A good way to see if you like the music is enter the group/artist and song name in Google - usually Amazon.com or Artistdirect.com have samples for listening. This what I do to discover new music.

Another recommedation is Grover Washington Jnr's Winelight DVD-A, excellent music and surround recording! BTW - I get most of my hi-res recordings from acousticsounds.com - reliable and quick!

Cheers mate!

Gold Member

Warren, MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2586
Thanks Rantz, I hear the new porcupine tree album is pretty darn good.

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 411
Béla Bartok--Concerto for Orchestra; Music for Strings, Percussion and Celesta; Hungarian Sketches--Chicago Symphony Orchestra, Fritz Reiner conductor. Multi-layer SACD Surround, SACD Stereo and CD Audio. These performances, especially the Concerto, have long been considered definitive. The Concerto was recorded (in 1955) with two microphones and that is what is presented on the SACD surround track as well as the SACD stereo track. The other two pieces were recorded (in 1958) with three microphones. The output of those microphones is represented via the right-center-left channels on the SACD surround track. Rear channels are not used at any time on this disc.

This seems to be a good candidate for comparing CD vs SACD, particularly the Concerto. Unfortunately, a quick change between layers isn't easy on my player. But let me say this recording is magnificent in every way, on works that are arguably the most important of the 20th Century orchestral repertoire.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3703
Thanks, John. Apart from the music, that does indeed sound like a good disc for a comparative test. Label? RCA? Mercury?

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 412
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0002TKFQS

Upload

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 413
BTW, doesn't Sony's SACD logo look like you are looking at the wrong end of a hungry octopus?

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3714
Many thanks, John.
Could be an appropriate description of the logo. Like it!

Bronze Member
Username: Crazyhorse

Post Number: 17
i have a quick question, really regarding neil young discs. He has released some of his older albums on dvd audio along with last album greendale, and from what i gather is a big big fan of the dvd audio format, What puzzles me is the fact that his greatest hits cd/dvd package came with a normal dvd video disc(which features no real footage anyway). It claims on the box that it is in "super saturated dvd-stereo.... because sound matters". all very well and good, but he clearly knows about dvd audio technology, so why do u think he chose to do that?. It seems very odd to me. this is also true of his upcoming release prarire wind, which will also come in the cd\dvd package.
It just seems an even better way of confusing people about the nature of dvd audio

Rantz
Unregistered guest
Monty Alexander (with Ernest Ranglin) - Hybrid Multichannel SACD. Piano & guitar masters. Excellent pure DSD recording and great surround sound. Recommended. Rating: 8.6

Pieces Of A dream - "No Assembly Requires" - Hybrid Multichannel SACD. Not quite as good as their previous album "Love's Silhouette" but enjoyable with very good surround sound. Rating: 7.9

Al Di Meola - "Flesh On Flesh" - Hybrid Multichannel SACD. Contemporary instrumental jazz with soft rock leanings. Good recordings and surround sound. Rating: 8.0

Doc Powell - "7th & Cloumbus" Hybrid Multichannel SACD. Contemporary instrumental jazz with soft rock leanings. Easy and masterful guitar based titles in great surround sound. Rating:8.00

Eric Clapton - "Back Home" - DualDisc with multichannel and stereo DVD-A but both in 48/24 which proved very disappointing from a resolution standpoint. Most tracks are okay with only one or two standouts. I would have liked E.C. to put his guitar talent to better use on this album. Rating: 7.2

David Sanborn - "Time Again" - Hybrid Multichannel SACD. Contemporary instrumental jazz with Sanborn's wonderfully haunting sax playing. Absolutely wonderful recording and excellent surround mix. I agree with 'Wineguy' - this is one standout recording. Very Highly recommended. Rating: 9.8

Rantz
Unregistered guest
Grover Washington Jr. - Prime Cuts: The Columbia Years 1987-1999 - Single layer stereo SACD. 2 channel for SACD players only but still well worth it. More sax excellence from a man who died far too early. When the sound is as good as it is on this mix, one can almost forgive it was not produced in multi-channel. Rating: 9.5

Willie Nelson - "Stardust" Single layer stereo SACD. Willie does it very nicely on this big selling album and DSD seems to bring out the best in him. For those special moods. Rating: 8.3

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 518
Albert King/Stevie Ray Vaughan - In session (2 channel SACD).
This was originally recorded live at an independent TV station in Hamilton, Ontario in 1983. Its a jam session between two blues-guitar greats and it outright sizzles. Rating 8.0 for sound, but 9.5 for the "sizzle factor."

Silver Member

MadridSpain

Post Number: 427
The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra:
- Wagner (Valkyries, Overtures etc.)
- Antonin Dvorak Symphony #9
Multichannel SACD Hybrids

Rating: 6.25/6.25

Nice employment of mid-90's digital (DDD) recordings.

Cheers
AL

Bronze Member
Username: Dobyblue

St. Catharines, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 14
Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral (DualDisc) DVD-A 5.1 48/24 recording
9.5/10
The sound on this is truly stunning. I will note that Trent has changed quite drastically what comes through the sub channel compared to when you listen to the Dolby Digital 5.1 track that's also included on the DVD-Video part of this DualDisc. One track to really watch out for is "Closer" - the end sounds so different even though Trent did very little tampering with the 5.1 mix that he and James Brown (not that James Brown) are responsible. This has always been one of the most unique albums ever done with all the sounds that were packed into the original 1994 release, but hearing it now so clearly through the DVD-Audio is like hearing a new album entirely. Looking forward to the entire release of the back catalogue.

Nine Inch Nails - With Teeth (DualDisc) DVD-Audio 5.1 48/24
8.5/10
Another really nice surround mix from TR. There is nowhere near as much stuff going on throughout this disc as TDS, but nevertheless Trent has used the DVD-A format very nicely here. Little nuances that creep through your surround speakers that otherwise might have been lost in the forray had you not had the lyric sheet in your hand. Very nice separation here.

Stone Temple Pilots - Core DVD-Audio 96/24 5.1
6/10
I love this album and truly believe it's one of STP's best, but Nick DiDia did an absolutely gash job with the surround mix here. It sounds like you're listening to it in two channel with your 7-channel stereo setting on your receiver turned on. The resolution is nice and it is certainly very clear, but there is very little use of the surround mix to add spaciality to the recording.

Sheila Nichols - Wake DVD-Audio 48/16 MPL
8/10
The surround mix is really nice on here but I must say that, despite not being lossless, the DTS:ES 6.1 Discrete mix that is oon here is much more pleasurable to listen to than the MLP 5.1 Lossless audio.

Dave Matthews Band - Stand Up (DualDisc) "Enhanced Stereo" only.
5/10
A 2.0 48/16 track that doesn't even play through the analogue cables nor does it register on the receiver as having a L and R channel. I notice absolutely no difference here from the CD of the album and it's a shame that the people at RCA/BMG wouldn't take advantage of the medium and at least include an advanced resolution stereo track, as was originally promised when the DD release of this title was released.
I love the Dave Matthews Band and they are so ahead of the game when it comes to fighting scalping and other areas, yet they've fallen so short here on their new album when all the possibilities of advanced resolution stereo and multi-channel recording formats are coming out all around them. This despite the 5.1 audio mix of the song Bartender that was released on the bonus DVD that came with the album Busted Stuff. Go figure.

Donovan - Fairy Tale DVD-Audio 96/24 5.1
8/10
You know if you're going to stick close to the original tapes then there is no way you're going to take the spine chilling grate out of Donovan's harmonice on a few of these tracks, but the surround mix is very nice and other than the occasional cat dying, they've made this mix sound very fresh and new.

Sting - Ten Summoner's Tales (CD) DTS 5.1 only
9/10
What an absolutely beautiful job here. The entire CD has only 20-bit DTS 5.1 audio on it and it sounds stunning. I normally listen to this through the multi-channel analogue inputs to get as close as possible to the source of the CD; everytime it leaves me breathless. I know it's not hi-rez but for a surround mix, this is one of the best.

REM - Green DVD-Audio 96/24 5.1
8.5/10
Elliot Scheiner is responsible for the 5.1 mix on this DVD-Audio title, and is responsible for quite a few of the REM back catalogue releases. The audio is really stunning and clear and, for what the album itself offers in material, the surround mix is very enjoyable.

REM - Out Of Time DVD-Audio 96/24 5.1
9.9/10
This is hands down the most incredible title I've had the pleasure of listening to. Everything is so absolutely clear and gentle on the ears, even at high volume. the surround mix is stunningly brilliant and when you close your eyes at times you may even feel the need to hold onto the sides of your chair it's so submersing.
Definitely the best example of hirez audio I have in my collection.

Peter Gabriel - Us SACD Stereo
9/10
I bought a pair of Paradigm Monitor 11 speakers a few weekends ago. Until then I was mainly listening to my hirez audio through the DTSor Dolby tracks, even though I had a DVD-Audio/SACD player in the Pioneer DV-45A. This disc particularly was never on as listening to a stereo track through two little satellites is pretty shite.
Along come the Paradigm speakers and all that changes. This disc is just 100 fold better than the CD. Everything is so clear and when you sit back, you'll swear a surround track had magically appeared. A very nice disc here - I look forward to adding more of PG's SACD releases to my own. This disc along with my Paradigm speakers has actually re-peaked my affinity for two channel music and I'm pullign out lots of old CDs and listening to them with my receiver set to DIRECT instead of Neo:6.

Oasis - (What's The Story) Morning Glory Hybrid SACD Multi-Channel
8/10
When I first listened to a track of this I thought I had bought a disc similar to my review of STP's "Core" but that quickly changed. Songs like "Some Might Say" and "Wonderwall" really benefit from Neil Dorfsman's very subtle yet definitely effective surround mix. Lots of times when I'm listening to Oasis I find I can't turn it up as loud as I would want to as there's just too much WALL OF GUITAR and it becomes just too much to listen to; this is all taken care of on the multi-channel mix. Much easier on the ears which allows you to appreciate the rest of the song much, much more. A good pick-up, I hope they might continue to release their back catalogue on the SACD multi-channel format.

eirepaul
Unregistered guest
All the Elton John reissues in SACD sound terrific. I've known these albums for over 30 years and I'm still discovering new things now that they are really opened up.

The Steely Dan / Donal Fagan DVD-As also sound terrific. The Best of Seal DVD-A is tremendous with an additional disc of acoustic versions, which i actually prefer.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 538
Grover Washington Jr. - Winelight (DVD-A) 9.0
Excellent!!

Elton John - Honky Chateau (SACD) 9.0
I've never owned this recording. I'm really glad I waited for this one.

Marvin Gaye - Collection (SACD) 7.0
Additional listening may change my rating, we'll see.

Larry Chernicoff - October (SACD) 9.0
A truely glorious recording. Highly recommended.

Miles Davis - Relaxin' (stereo SACD) 8.0
Never owned any Miles Davis before. I like this enough to check out additional music by him.

Toy Matinee (DVD-A) 8.0
One of my favorite 90's albums, this one opens up a lot in surround but still doesn't score as high as I'd hoped. More listening required.

America - Homecoming (DVD-A) 9.0
Another one I always wanted back in it's day, but never bought. Glad I got this one, it sounds absolutely remarkable.

Elton John - Tumbleweed Connection (SACD) 8.5
Very good. Not quite Honky Chateau good, but very good nonetheless.

Silver Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 156
Sem,
I may give America's Homecoming a go - others have recommended this, now that you have too it has my interest. Try Winelight in 2 channel, the 192/24 mix is excellent also, but I do like the MC version best.

Silver Member
Username: Shokhead

Lakewood, CA USA

Post Number: 136
Donald Fagen Nightfly 8.5 Very good.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 228
Although I'm currently awaiting delivery of some hi-res titles from the US, I couldn't resist picking up the Deep Purple SACD "Machine Head" locally as I had this album when it came out in '72. The first 7 tracks are DSD produced from the original quadraphonic mix (no center but lfe added) with an extra 3 remixes added for length.

They sounded wonderfully original in their analogue type sound with the better resolution clearly creating a great listening experience. I never listened to a lot of real 'heavy rock' back then but DP does it without excessive noise with a bluesy feel which is why I liked this album then and still do now (in smaller doses).

Sonics - 9.3
Music - 8.00

Excellent old rock hybrid sacd example. Recommended.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 234
Claire Martin - Too Darn Hot (And she certainly is) - Hybrid Multi Channel SACD from Linn Records. Absolutely marvelous jazz singer and great band. Cd layer is HDCD.

Sonics:9.0 Music:9.5

Tommy Smith - Blue Smith (Jazz Sax)- Stereo Hybrid SACD from Linn Records - I was a little disappointed after a sample listen. The jazz is a little too out there, but not bad.Cd layer is HDCD.

Sonics: 8.5 Music: 7.0

Sarah Moule - Something's Gotta Give (And she does give - though not quite like Ms Martin) - Hybrid Multi Channel SACD from Linn Records. Very nice jazz from Ms Moule and band. Cd layer is HDCD.

Sonics:9.0 Music:8.5

Jaco Pastorius Big Band - Word Of Mouth Revisited (A Pastorius tribute band) - Hybrid Multi Channel SACD from Heads Up. Great fusion jazz. Jaco (ex Weather Report and bassist extaordinaire with Pat Methany) would be pleased with this live tribute.

Sonics:8.5 Music: 8.5

London Symphony Orchestra - Beethoven Classics (DTS Entertainment). DTS, DVD-A 5.1 + CD. A real listening pleasure of this studio recording of the LSO. Beautifully played and well recorded, but I'm no expert especially when it comes to classical music.

Sonics:8.5 Music 8.5

I don't understand why Linn Records bother with Multi Channel as there is very little sound from the rear speakers on every MC title I have of theirs. This certainly suits some music but for these jazz discs that have a SACD stereo layer as well, there could be a better mix for 5.1

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 318
It's not hard to see I've become a Claire Martin fan :-)

Claire Martin - Secret Love - Hybrid Multi Channel SACD from Linn Records. On the whole a little more upbeat than "Too Darn Hot" and I like it. Once again Ms Martin convinces me she is a wonderful jazz singer and the great band does her justice. Cd layer is HDCD and sounds excellent also.

Sonics:9.0 Music:9.5

Clair Martin - Perfect Alibi - Stereo Hybrid SACD from Linn Records - The jazz is more laid back on this album and, apart for a couple of very nice bluesy tracks, tends more to the pop genre, but don't let that deter - it's very enjoyable. Cd layer is not HDCD - unfortunately.

Sonics: 8.5 Music: 8.5

Clark Tracey - Stability - Hybrid Stereo SACD from Linn Records. You'll hear him on the Skins in the above Claire Martin albums - Great drummer (and adept pianist). Good uptempo instrumental jazz, but can be a bit much. Cd layer is HDCD.

Sonics: 8.5 Music: 7.5

Bronze Member

Post Number: 48
Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms - Hybrid SACD Multi-Channel/Stereo
9/10
I had been on the lookout for the DualDisc of this, but when I spotted the SACD at my local Future Shop for only CDN$21.99 I knew I wanted it right then and there.
The mix on this is very spacious and clever. Songs like Why Worry make great use of the surround channels for the little Knopfler fills that make this song glorious. Money For Nothing? Well if I described it as anything other than kicking major butte I'd be doing it a disservice.
One of my favourite tracks though is Your Latest Trick and the spaciousness on this track is humbling.
This one is worth picking up if you've been looking at it thinking how much you used to like this album and I think it would be a good buy whether on DualDisc or SACD.

Peter Gabriel - So SACD Stereo
9.5/10
I think this is probably one of my favourite albums of all time. Songs like Mercy Street, Red Rain, That Voice Again and In Your Eyes just sound so vivid I had goosebumps listening to about half the album on my first time through.
It's disappointing that they rearranged the order of the tracks, moving In Your Eyes to the last slot, but I'm sure most people on here are pretty quick with their remotes and for that reason the re-programming of the disc on the odd occassion that you just want to listen to it all the way through is no bother.
I would love to see a nice 5.1 mix of this disc, but the Stereo SACD is nothing short of brilliant.

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 786
Sorry if this common knowledge already but I just noticed there's a new Donald Fagen CD coming soon. Hi-res at the same time or soon after, I understand. Woo-Hoo!

Morph the Cat

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 341
Woo-Hoo from me too, John S. If it is as good as Kamakiriad and Nightfly I'll be happy.

Silver Member
Username: Ziggyzoggyoioi

Outside Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 248
The Flaming Lips - Soft Bulletin (DVD-A, 5.1, 24/96)

Wow! Simply a brilliant reimagining of this album. The tracks have been re-ordered, and all have been re-mixed (and some have new layers added to them) to really push the boundaries of surround sound. Whereas other multi-channel mixes are usually pretty subtle in how they handle surround channels, this Lips release is a polar opposite. Drums circle all the way around you in one track, or make a Z-pattern from back-to-front-and-back-again in another. Orchestration appears, at times, well outside the normal mix, giving a very odd sense of space. As the liner notes say, the mix is designed for 5 large speakers (plus sub) with equal amplification all-around to get the most out of it. But if you have the set-up, and like the Lips at all, this is a MUST-have.

Overall: 9.5/10

Silver Member
Username: Jimkw

Columbus, Ohio USA

Post Number: 118
I don't feel like I am any where near being able to rate the discs I am buying, but I have bought a few and will give my opinions:

Elton John "Honky Chateau" Just about as good as it gets and this was not one of my favorite LP's. I liked it quite a bit and just bought "Tumbleweed Connection". Have not listened to it yet.

Brian Ferry "Boys and Girls" - Only listened to it once so far, but I like it quite a bit. Always like Roxy Music and saw this one rated highly on this board (My Rantz rated it 9.5) so I gave it a try. I may like this one better than Honky Chateau.

Porcupine Tree "In Absentia" - Have not yet been able to listen to the whole thing. It's just too heavy for my taste. The surround is good, but the music just does not appeal to me.

Queen "The Game" - Very Good, but not as good as Elton John or Brian Ferry. I like the way you can put the lyrics on the screen though. Actually when I listen to this one I get some of the songs stuck in my head so it's definitely not bad.

The Eagles "Hotel California" - Very good also. Was never much of a fan of the Eagles though for some reason. Some of my friends played them so much that I never got into them, but this has a real good sound quality and my wife really likes it.

Yes "Fragile" - Glad to have found this in DVD-A because it was always one of my favorite LP's. It sounds great, but that might be mostly becasue it's a band I really like. I have only listened to it once. Just got it yesterday so I may report more on this one and definetly will have to listen to "Tumbleweed Connection".

All in all I am really enjoying listening to this music in surround sound. And luckily what you can find it not ridiculously priced.

Username: Terry54321

Post Number: 3
Has anyone listened to the DualDisc version of Dire Straits "Brothers In Arms?" Apparently the DualDisc version has DVD-Audio on one side and only costs $14.98 on Amazon versus $22 for the imported SACD version. One of the reviewers on Amazon.com claims the following regarding "Brothers In Arms": "Some readers here may know that there is also a SACD version of this album, but be aware that the SACD has been converted from the DVD-Audio's 24bit studio master. So, in short, this DVD-Audio will give you the very best and truest reproduction of what was crafted originally in the studio."

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 453
And DualDiscs, unfortunately, are not compatible with all player brands. I have the BIA SACD and it sounds excellent to me, and yes it may have been converted from the 24bit studio master - like many SACD's of past albums. SD's Gaucho is another example of how good the DSD process can be even if the original was not recorded in this way. That doesn't mean the Amazon reviewer is not correct - there may be just no or very little difference. One format can sound as good as the other - just in slightly different ways. It can be a matter of choice of course.

Silver Member

MadridSpain

Post Number: 447
David Bowie - David Live
DVD-A 5.1 (DTS and 2.0 LPCM tracks included)
Rating 6.5

I remember the airy, clubby and natural sound in the vinyl version. IMO not maintained in DVD-A, something "atmospherishly" is missing. Also, vocals sound a little strained, which I have noticed before in 48KHz/24 bits recordings. But voices instruments are nicely separated in a balanced 5.1 mix, an enjoyable edition for Bowie fans.

Cheers
AL

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 473
DVA - America "Homecoming" Very Good 5.1 recording. Brings back the 70's
Sonics: 9.0 Music: 7.0

DVA - Holst "Planets" A 5.1 Naxos recording with the rears supposedly used for ambient sounds - if you can hear them. Disappointing. Music lacks depth. Quite ordinary.
Sonics: 5.0 Music: 5.0

SACD -Spiro Gyra "Wrapped In A Dream" This 5.1 Hybrid surpasses SG's last three recordings imho. A sometimes bluesy and sometimes Spanish flavour adds some extra magic to the fusion jazz blend. Impressive!
Sonics: 9.3 Music: 9.3

DVD-A/CD Donald Fagan "Morph The Cat" Fagan's new album should not disappoint fans. Very cruisey as usual. Excellent sound on both DVD-A (5.1) and redbook CD.
Sonics: 9.5 Music: 9.3

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 573
DVD-A Pink Floyd "Dark Side of the Moon 4.1 (Alan Parsons mix, not commercially available).

Surround mix 9.5
Fidelity 7.0

This was mixed by Alan Parsons in quad shortly after DSOTM was originally released, and does have a bit of hiss. It doesn't, however, really get in the way of the listening experience, IMO. Somehow this found it's way onto DVD-A format and apparently is from "the original quadraphonic master tapes (not Q4/Q8 or vinyl)." The only difference is a .1 track was added, which can be turned off if desired. Parsons, the original Engineer on DSOTM, mixed this for EMI (I believe), without Floyd's "blessing" The result is, as a friend of mine puts it, "very adventuresome." If Guthrie's SACD mix rates a 10 for surround implementation, this would rate a 20 :-)

DVD-A 96/24
DTS
Dolby

Quoted message from a PF forum (source unknown):
If you've never heard the quad mix before, you're missing out.
There's no comparison between the original Parsons mix and the ultra-safe, non-gimmicky Guthrie "5.1" mix that appears on the SACD. Guthrie seems to believe that using the surround capabilities of SACD is just a "gimmick".

Parsons seems to have approached the process with an attitude of "I
have four speakers, and I'm damned well going to *use* them." In my
opinion, the Parsons mix is the perfect balance between gimmickry
for its own sake and full-on immersion for the sake of the music.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 62
Death Cab For Cutie - Transatlanticism
Stereo SACD only
8.5/10
Very happy to see a Death Cab release on SACD - this disc sounds incredible and I would recommend it to anyone who's interested or becoming more familiar with DCFC as they become more and more popular.

Mike Oldfield Tubular Bells 2003 DVD-Audio (96/24) Multi-channel
8/10
Very nice recording make good use of the surrounds. This one is a toss up, you'll either love it for being such a crisp, visceral recording or you'll hate it for not being the original.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 64
Peter Gabriel - Play The Videos (DVD-Video)
9/10
This is the first DVD-Video disc that used a DTS 96/24 source with video.
I feel that the SACDs, even in stereo, are well worth having; so too is this DVD.
You do not need a DVD-Audio player to get the lossless 24-bit audio from this DVD, which is beautiful for those people wanting to experience hi-rez audio.
The 5.1 mixes on this 23 video collection are all mixed by Daniel Lanois, who was the producer of "So" - when you listen to such greats as In Your Eyes in DTS 96/24 you'll wish the song would continue.
I know I will still listen to my stereo SACDs of the earlier Gabriel albums, but this DVD will definitely get much usage as well.
One thing that caught me off guard is that in some cases these are slightly different mixes. Gabriel has written that some of them are even better than the originals. Mercy Street has an intro, Washing of the Water has extra piano and guitar, etc.
Amazingly clear sound on this disc, I'd highly recommend it to any Peter Gabriel fans, particularly those wanting to experience advanced resolution audio without a DVD-Audio or SACD player.

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 920
The Life of a Song
Geri Allen, piano
Dave Holland, bass
Jack DeJohnette, drums
Telarc SACD Multi-Channel Surround---original DSD master recording.

For those who like the sound of a piano jazz trio, this is highly recommended. Here are masters of the improvisational art giving their best. The recording is world-class, although it could be argued the SACD surround audio places one in the middle of the trio. This would seem to be unnatural to careful listeners, but the stereo SACD sound is nothing short of extraordinary. This is sophisticated jazz at its very best.

Sound: 10
Music: 10

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3261
I'm glad you enjoyed it John.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 577
It's been a while since I've listened to my music and also some new music (CD's, SACD's and DVD-A's) which had come by post and have been awaiting my ears while other events have been taking all my time.

Talking Heads was one of my favourite rock bands. They seemed to poke their tongues at the rock music genre by their strange lyrics and often stranger sound mixes. But they had rythym and they did what they did so well - take the 'Stop Making sense' movie for example of which I have a DVD copy. But out of the mouth of madness (yes David Byrne) comes some wierd stuff at times and on Fear Of Music, much of it has become a little too alternative for this aging relic. However, Speaking In Tongues is a different story. I'll rate these two excellent remixes (for sound reproduction and musical appreciation) below. Again, the resolution on these titles beats CD even the HDCD's and makes choosing a winner between SACD and DVD-A very difficult.

Fear Of Music - 24/96 5.1 (and 2.0) DVD-A + CD

Sonics: 9.2 Music: 7.5

Speaking In Tongues - 24/96 5.1 (and 2.0) DVD-A + CD. The remix bonus track of 'Burning Down The House' would have to be one of the best examples to show off one's surround system, though wierd in its implementation. The other titles were remixed exceptionally well without going too wierd with the surrounds.

Sonics: 9.2 Music: 8.9

It seems someone in the DVD-A world is finally waking up with smart CD like packaging plus the bonus redbook CD supplied. I have now had quite a few new DVD-A releases packaged like this. Well done to whoever saw the light.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 73
Yes I completely agree with you on the packaging. This is a far more acceptable method than the DualDisc.

Seal (1991) DVD-A+CD 9/10
I recently picked up Seal (1991) on the DVD-A+CD package and it's stunning sound quality.
Advanced Resolution 5.1 96/24
Advanced Resolution Stereo 88.2/24
Dolby Digital 5.1 and 2.0

Michael Jackson - Thriller SACD 8/10
Also recently picked up Michael Jackson's Thriller on SACD Stereo only. I read reviews that often spoke poorly of the bass on this album, but I don't hear it. My CD copy was toasted in the microwave by a roommate in the Cayman Islands in 1992 just to show me what a microwaved CD looks like, so I can't compare the two.
What I will say though is that this recording has great instrumentation throughout, great songwriting and the overall sound is brilliant.

Silver Member

MadridSpain

Post Number: 451
Hi folks, long time no seen. Hope you continue enjoying hi-res :-)

The Beatles - "Love" (DVD-A 5.1 96KHz/24bits)
Rating 10

No, it's not yet another recompilation of fab four songs. It is a remix by the very same Mr. Martin and his son Giles. You can imagine the result... I almost got tears in my eyes when listening to it.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 958
Hey there Arnold!

Althought the recording is excellent I don't know if it's 10, but it's so close a 10 is what it gets from me too, for the everything else and for the effect it has on my senses. Like a few later releases, this one comes with a seperate CD redbook version. If only that's how DVD-A was packaged from the get-go, I think the format would have been much more popular.

Yes, a great mix, great songs, great memories - LOVE can't be anything else but a 10.

All you need is . . .

Bronze Member
Username: Eleven

Pittsburgh, PA USA

Post Number: 69
I've been loving the CD version of LOVE, and looking forward to playing the DVD-A version, once my player arrives...

Silver Member

MadridSpain

Post Number: 452
Metallica - "Metallica" (DVD-A 5.1 96 KHz/24 bits)
Rating: 7

Sounds like they just upsampled a 48KHz master, but IMO sufficient for this kind of music. Very powerful.

-------------------------------------------------

David Bowie - The rise and fall of Ziggy Stardust... (SACD 5.1 Hybrid)
Rating: 9

Keeping the magic of this fantastic album, whilst also an interesting surround mix.

-------------------------------------------------

Genesis - "Wind & Wuthering" (SACD 5.1 Hybrid + DVD Video.

Well worth buying, for the group it is (was). But I'm afraid there's something wrong with the sound. Could be tape degradation, or maybe sound processing stereo master into surround.

Username: Skip_g

Toronto, ON CANADA

I've collected many DVD-Audio's and Dual-discs (I'm skipping on SACD, as I don't believe there was enough storage on a CD for good audio, but I'll leave that to you all).

In any case, I've been impressed with some, dissappointed with others, but the one that still shocks me, and in my mind (or maybe just shines on my set-up) is The Who's Tommy. Split over two DVD's and remastered by Townshend over a two year period, this is the gold standard in surround mixing. (I just can't wait until he tackles Quadrophenia!)

keep up the good work, and never settle for mediocre!
cheers.

Silver Member

MadridSpain

Post Number: 453
Talking Heads - 77 (DVD-A 5.1 96KHz/24 bits)

Nice mix that brings the artist closer to the listener.

---------------------------------------------

Talking Heads - Fear of Music (DVD-A 5.1 96KHz/24 bits)

Some tracks sounds really, really good. But others not, which makes me pull down the rating a bit.

Bronze Member
Username: Frank1203

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 72
Gloria Estephan's Greatest Hits on SACD. Recorded in 5.1 Multi-Channel - Wow! Just sit back and listen to "Conga" and you'll hear what I mean! The timabales coming out of the rear speakers only are unbelievable! Sounds like the percussionist is in my Family room.

Silver Member

MadridSpain

Post Number: 454
Weather Report - Heavy Weather (SACD 2.0)

Early SACD issue, seems to be based on a 1997(!) remix. Not too bad, but technology has advanced since back then.

Al Di Meola / Paco De Lucia / John McLaughlin - Friday Night in San Francisco (SACD 2.0)

Another quite old DSD remix. Some concert atmosphere got lost but the sound is sweet. SACD resolves well the complexity of three guitars played at warp speed.

Creedence Clearwater Revival - Willie and the Poorboys (SACD 2.0 Hybrid)

Wrongly announced as multi-channel, and IMHO overrated in general. The SACD format has taken away some rock'n'roll, IMHO DVD-A is better for this kind of music.

Silver Member

MadridSpain

Post Number: 461
Genesis - 1970-1975 box set (SACD 5.1)
Rating: 10

Whatever superlatives you will read about this one, they are all true. It makes you remember the vinyl and discover new qualities of the songs at the same time. SACD died with the boots on.

Silver Member

MadridSpain

Post Number: 469
King Crimson - Red (DVD-A 5.1)
Rating: 9,5

Solid. Terribly, beautifully solid.

Silver Member

MadridSpain

Post Number: 472
King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King (DVD-A 5.1)

A remix based on primary multi-tracks and performed by very competent people.

Silver Member

MadridSpain

Post Number: 473
King Crimson - Lizard (DVD-A 5.1)

Again based on primary multitracks and this might be the best surround mix I ever heard.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us