Archive through October 31, 2004

Silver Member
Username: Myrantz

Post Number: 461
FOR HI-RES AUDIO FANS:

Hopefully we can keep this thread (without too much digressing) for anyone wishing to rate their DVD-A or SACD discs to give us all an idea of who likes what and so forth.

Please give title, artist, format, no of channels, and rating out of 10 and if necessary, short comments.

Silver Member

Post Number: 462
I'll begin with:

Greendale - Neill Young - DVD-A (multi-channel) med rock - Rating:8.50
The Captain & Me - The Doobie Bros- DVD-A (multi-channel) med rock - Rating:8.25
Two Against Nature - Steely Dan - DVD-A (multi-channel) jazz/pop - Rating:8.25
Tigerlily - Natalie Merchant - DVD-A (multi-channel) pop - Rating:4.5

Sacred Love - Sting - SACD (multi-channel) pop - Rating:1
DSOTM - Pink Floyd - SACD (multi-channel) med rock - Rating:8.5
Come Away With Me - Nora Jones - SACD (multi-channel) soft jazz/pop - Rating:6.5
Twenty Something - Jamie Cullum - SACD (multi-channel) jazz/pop - Rating:7.25
Electric Warrior - T.Rex - SACD (multi-channel) med rock - Rating:5

Silver Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 825
i'll begin with:

Greendale - Neill Young - DVD-A (multi-channel) med rock - Rating:8.45
The Captain & Me - The Doobie Bros- DVD-A (multi-channel) med rock - Rating:8.40
Two Against Nature - Steely Dan - DVD-A (multi-channel) jazz/pop/rock - Rating:8.50
sea change - beck - DVD-A (multi-channel) pop/rock - Rating:9.50
say you will - fleetwodd mac - DVD-A (multi-channel) pop/rock - Rating:8.70

DSOTM - Pink Floyd - SACD (multi-channel) med rock - Rating:8.60
gaucho - steely dan - SACD (multi-channel) jazz/pop/rock - Rating:8.80
white trash beautiful - everlast - SACD (multi-channel) pop/rock/rap - Rating:8.40
come away with me - norah jones - SACD (multi-channel) jazz - Rating:8.40
red letter days - the wall flowers - SACD (multi-channel) pop/rock - Rating:8.50

i will list more later!

Silver Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 826
sorry revision already!

Greendale - Neill Young - DVD-A (multi-channel) med rock - Rating:8.45

should have been:
Greendale - Neill Young - DVD-A (multi-channel) med rock - Rating:8.60

Username: Alan_a

England

Post Number: 1
Fleetwood Mac- DVD-A multi Channel pop Rumours 9
Eagles Hotel California- DVD-A Multi Channel Pop 8
Elton John- Goodbye Yellow Brick Road SACD Pop 10
Mike Oldfield- Tubular Bells SACD Hybrid pop 7
Pink Floyd-Dark Side of the Moon SACD Hybrid Rock 9.5
Blues Traveller- Truth be Told DVD-A Multi Chan 7
Sting- Brand New day DTS 9

Gold Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 1729
Great idea, My Rantz. I will make a list of mine in a day or two. I propose to separate a sound-and-recording rating from a content recording. Who knows if the greatest 5.1 remastering for sound (10) will not eventually be something by ABBA (minus 5, imho....)? I guess it is also interesting to consider whether something is a new recording or a re-mastering. My impression is that there are few re-mastered DVD-As, so far, in comparison with SACD.

Silver Member

Post Number: 464
Thanks John A

The idea is that the rating should take in recording and content quality as this is for hi-res formats only. By all means make a comment on the recording or such. If we keep this 'simple' it might just work as a reference of sorts.

Silver Member
Username: Sem

New York USA

Post Number: 178
Frank Sinatra Live at the Sands DVD-A Multi channel. Hard to believe this was recorded in 1966.
Rating 8.5

Eagles- Hotel California DVD-A Multichannel. To me, good but nothing spectacular.
Rating 8.0

Alan Parspons Project- Turn of a Friendly Card DVD-A (HDAD) 2 Channel 24/192 only. Very nice. I hear much more than I ever knew was in the original mix.
Rating 8.5 (would have been higher if in multi channel).

Porcupine Tree- In Absentia DVD-A multi channel. Overall pretty good, wished it would have been a little more agressive mix though. Some great songs, but a couple others leave me cold.
Rating 7.0

Steely Dan- Gaucho DVD-A Multi channel. Very nice recording, "you got to shake it baby"
Rating 8.5

Alan Parsons Project- On Air DTS 5.1 Very good mix, one instrumental features an old prop plane flying around the room. Would have scored higher if in DVD-A or SACD though.
Rating 7.0

Silver Member
Username: Black_math

Post Number: 141
The Stones SACD's Rating 10 - Pick Your Poison

Bob Dylan SACD's Rating 10 - Ditto

Alison Krauss & Union Station: Live SACD - The simple fact is that every time Krauss opens her mouth to sing, angels stop what they're doing and take notes. This may not be for bluegrass purists, but it is a fantastic recording. Rating 8.5

Neil Young Harvest DVD-A - This does not sound any better than the remastered CD. Great album - Hi Rez Rip-off. Buy the LP. Rating 3.

Frank Sinatra Live at the Sands DVD-A - true 24/192 stereo (you don't see that on most DVD-A), great sound. I'm not a big Sinatra Fan and the Basie Orchestra totally outclasses him here. Rating 7 (for the Count).

Theloneous Monk: Brilliant Corners SACD - WOW!! Great Songs, great sound, and great playing. Excellent buy. I believe this is SACD Mono. Rating 9.5

Death Cab for Cutie: Transatlanticism SACD - I gave in to all of the hype and bought this bad boy. The conclusion is...I just don't get it. Rating 5.

Sam Cooke Portrait of a Legend 1951-1964 SACD. - All the best from one of the greatist singers ever to be captured on tape. Excellent sound (I think it was done at the same place that did the Stones Remasters). Hear Sam Cook like you haven't before. Rating 10.5/10.

Silver Member
Username: Two_cents

Post Number: 261
Beck, "Sea Change" (SACD) Rating 10.
The Flaming Lips, "Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots" (DVD-A) Rating 10.
Pink Floyd, "DSOTM" (SACD) Rating 9.
Roxy Music, "Avalon" (SACD) Rating 9.
Bob Dylan, "Blood on the Tracks" (SACD) Rating 8.
Queen, "A Night at the Opera" (DVD-A) Rating 7.
Diana Krall, "When I Look in Your Eyes" (SACD) Rating 7.
Emmylou Harris, "Producer's Cut" (DVD-A) Rating 6.
Bachman Turner Overdrive, "From the Front Row" (DVD-A) Rating: 0 - destined to be a coaster.

Silver Member
Username: Ghiacabriolet

NC

Post Number: 212
Beck - Sea Change - DVD-A (multi-channel) pop/rock - Rating:10
Excellent musically and the best surround mix I've heard.

Aimee Mann - Lost in Space - SACD (stereo) pop/rock - Rating: 10
Excellent musically and the warmth and richness of the hi-res is a definite improvement over the redbook cd. Stereo only.

Aimee Mann - Bachelor No.2 - SACD (stereo) pop/rock - Rating: 9
Excellent musically and the warmth and richness of the hi-res is a definite improvement over the redbook cd. Stereo only.

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue - SACD (multichannel) jazz - Rating: 9
For those who think "smooth jazz" is where it's at, THIS is what Jazz is! Great performance, great recording, great Stereo mix and great multichannel mix. Too close to call between stereo/multichannel preference on this, for me.

Getz/Gilerto - Getz/Gilberto - SACD (stereo) jazz - Rating: 9
Fantastic Bossa Nova! Just discovered this today while I was looking for the Flaming Lips (not a predictable transition). This is a 1963 recording and there's some discernible hiss....but, ironically, that makes it more organic for me. The recording and mix of the vocals and instruments is excellent. Stereo only.

Buena Vista Social Club - DVD-A (multichannel) Cuban - Rating: 9
Excellent musically and the surround mix works well, too.

Pink Floyd - DSOTM - SACD (multichannel) rock - Rating: 9
A classic. Surround mix is excellent.

Heart - Alive in Seattle - SACD (multichannel) rock - Rating: 8.5
Rock and Roll! The Wilson sisters sound good and this disc captures the essence of their live performances. Surround mix creates the perfect concert atmosphere. Play it loud!

kd lang - Invincible Summer - DVD-A (multichannel) pop - Rating: 8.5
On first listen, I didn't much care for this one. However, it has become a perfect "summer" record with it's light, playful songs and is in heavy rotation in the car (cd version). DVD-A sounds clean and has subtle almost imperceptible surround mix.

Bucky Pizzarelli - Swing Live - SACD (multichannel) jazz - Rating: 7.5
If I'm in the right mood, I love this one. There's a lot of crowd noise (clinking glasses, talking, etc) which I suppose lends "atmosphere" to it although, I find it more annoying than anything else.

Glen Phillips - Abulum - DVD-A (multichannel) pop/rock - Rating: 6
This one is so unremarkable, I can't even recall what it sounds like. 6 might be too generous.

Paul McCartney & Wings - Band on the Run - DTS (multichannel) pop/rock - Rating: 6
Good musically but surround mix doesn't work well, for me.

Blue Man Group - Audio - DVD-A (multichannel) Rating: 6
The surround mix is very cool for showing off your system. The low rating is because I don't consider this musical and rarely listen.

Silver Member

Post Number: 467
This thread is going great - thanks guys and gals - please keep it up as you add to your collections.

One thing I have notice is there a few 10 ratings. You think there'll never be anything better than those? (grin)

England

Post Number: 2
MyRantz

I am waiting for these to appear on either format (new thread?) They could be well over 10's<g>

10CC the Original soundtrack
Jeff Waynes War of the Worlds
Supertramp: A momentarily lapse of reason
Simon & Garfunkle: Bridge over Troubled Water
Faithless: well, all albums :-)
Elgars Enigma variations
The Moody Blues all albums

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 171
Donald Fagan - The Nightfly DVD-A (48/24), DD & DTS 5.1. (multichannel) Rating: 9 This album, originally released in 1982, is better than half the Steely Dan catalogue. Another Eliot Scheiner mix.

Diana Krall - When I look into your eyes DVD-A (96/24) with DD 5.1 (multichannel) Rating: 7

The Uncommon Bach-Bach Organ Works: Variants, Rarities, and Transcriptions. DTS 5.1 only. OK this isn't hi-rez, but the King of Instruments will rock your world.

Silver Member

Post Number: 469
A couple of recent additions to rate:

Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots - The Flaming Lips, DVD-A (multi channel) Rating 8.

This one, musically, is not my usual cup of tea, but it is great fun and a thrilling surround experience. I really enjoyed it. A must have for hi-res surround demo also. Thanks for the rec 2C!

Everything Must Go - Steely Dan - DVD-A (multi-channel) jazz/rock - Rating:8.30

What else can be said about Steely Dan other than excellent?

Silver Member

Post Number: 472
Alan A

I agree especially with 10CC and Supertramp. I'm sure everyone has a few hundred albums in mind that they'd like in hi-res!

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 181
Wasn't "A Momentary Lapse of Reason" done by Pink Floyd? Is there a Supertramp album of the same name?

Silver Member

Post Number: 474
Sem

You're correct. Maybe Alan A had "A Momentary Lapse of Reason"

I'll be looking out for some of those titles you have listed also.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 183
Thanks MR,

BTW, if you like 10CC, and the voice of lead singer Eric Stewart, you may want to check out the DTS 5.1 cd I listed above, "On Air." He does vocal leads on a few songs on the cd. Also doing vocals on the cd is Neil Lockwood, a vocalist who's appeared on many artists' albums. He actually was in ELO Part2 for a time.
http://www.theavenueonline.info/site1/bios/lockwood.htm

England

Post Number: 3
"A Momentary lapse of sanity" (I hope!) :-)
I meant "Even in the Quietest Moments"

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 187
Alan A.

I certainly would agree, that album and "Crime of the Century" I imagine would sound spectacular in hi-rez surround.

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 217
Revising a previous rating:

kd lang - Invincible Summer - DVD-A (multichannel) pop - Rating: 6.0
Adjusted the rating down because:

- the music is more suited to a car environment, it's good summer time driving music. Since my car doesn't have DVD-A yet, the CD is the better format for this disc.

- for the first time (at least in my limited library) the redbook cd sounds better than the DVD-A! The DVD-A surround mix is imperceptible - but, even worse - on at least one track, the DVD-A mix does not include some of the vocal tracks present on the redbook mix. And, those vocals end up being vitally important to the song.

Bronze Member
Username: Arnold_layne

MadridSpain

Post Number: 27
I start with a reference mark: DSotM m-ch SACD 7.5 points. Sorry guys and gals but this is a 70's recording, it lacks dynamic dynamic range. Surround mix adds space and definition, even better than LP. But I think a price was paid: tameness. On vinyl this epic work of art was more powerful and emotional. (Not a wasted buy though, it's much better than the horrid and crippled CD format)

My first review is on last purchased disc:

Stevie Ray Vaughan - Texas Flood (2-ch SACD)
Rating: 8
Just as bluesy and juicy as on LP, but mix is slightly improved. Better balance between instruments and stereo image is really, really good.

Cheers
AL

Bronze Member

MadridSpain

Post Number: 29
Antonio Vivaldi - Il Cimiento dell'Armonia e dell'Inventione op. VIII (2-ch 96/24 LPCM, Arts Music Audiophile series 47572-6 DVD-Video)
Rating: 9
This recording of "The Four Seasons" is a hi-rez milestone, literally.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 194
I picked up Neil Young's "Greendale" and Beck's "Sea Change" this evening. I'll give a few listens to each and share my thoughts.

Bronze Member

MadridSpain

Post Number: 34
Diana Krall - The look of love
Rating: 7
Clean sound, and very "analogue". But difficult to review, you fall asleep after a few songs. Do not play CD layer in car.

Bronze Member
Username: Donaldekelly

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 55
"Antonio Vivaldi - Il Cimiento dell'Armonia e dell'Inventione op. VIII (2-ch 96/24 LPCM, Arts Music Audiophile series 47572-6 DVD-Video)
Rating: 9
This recording of "The Four Seasons" is a hi-rez milestone, literally. "

Who are the artists? I am looking for a good four seasons in high rez.

Mutter's version = 6 and, Ozawa/Silverstein = 7

Pink Floyd DSOTM = 8

Flaming Lips Yoshimi = 9

Roxy Music "Avalon" (SACD) = 8

Roxy Music "Greatest Hits" = 9 (Don't remember exact title)

Rachel Podger everything on SACD on Channel Classics = 9-10 (I really like her stuff - probably not better than the previous greats but pretty close and much better sound).

REM - best (forgot name again) = 8

Peter Gabriel - 3 (Melt) = 7

Peter Gabriel - 16 golden greats = 5-6

Hilary Hahn - Bach something or other = 8

Beethoven Symphonies - by Abbado/BPO = 5 (not bad but sounds so far away)

Bronze Member

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 56
Accademia Bizantina, Dantone - is that the four seasons dvd-video? Is it in dvd-audio?

Bronze Member
Username: Goldenarrow

Post Number: 84
Poncho Sanchez (w/ guest Mongo Santamaria) "Conga Blue" (Hybrid-SACD), 2003 Concord Records

Cooo-l stuff, great sound although a little too aggressive on the channel mixing, imo.

Bronze Member

MadridSpain

Post Number: 36
The Vivaldi disc is on DVD-Video, reaching the uttermost bitrate limit of this media. And yes, it's Academia Bizantina, lead by Ottavio Dantone. According to booklet it was first ever recording in 96/24 10-channel, and "not compressed or equalized at any stage". I believe'em.

Enjoy
AL

Bronze Member

MadridSpain

Post Number: 51
Thought you guys should be the first to know, only second to my wife. Amazon brought to me in record time my 10th hi-rez disc.

Eagles - Hotel California
Title track, 2ch 196/24 packed PCM.
Rating: a strong 10.

10 might be to low, couldn't tell - this is on the edge of what my equipment can handle. DACs just hang on, no strength left to colour signal. Tweeters screech, wafers do hard labor way below their frequency response. Amp gets much hotter than for 96KHz, good anough for preparing Saturday's English breakfast. At moderate volume, this disc provokes a slight but audible distortion. Then again nevermind, 'cause it sounds like valve state!!!

When/if I ever recover from this, I'll review another track.

Cheers
AL

Bronze Member

Post Number: 100
Bought this a few weeks ago. Its wierd but good!

http://www.epinions.com/content_150654062212

Upload

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Elvis 30#1 Hits
DVD-A 5.1
A real treasure. It also includes a few a/b comparisons and out-takes.

For sound and sentiment I'll rate it a 9

Bronze Member

MadridSpain

Post Number: 56
Thanks golden. I saw it on Amazon when I ordered my already beloved Eagles album, but didn't know anything about it. You'd say it's fine technical quality too? Clean and neat acoustic guitars?

Silver Member

Post Number: 101
Arnold,

Its a simple minimalist recording. From what I can tell, just acoustic guitar and bass, a background vocalist or two to three palmas (hand clappers). Since you live in Spain, you probably have heard authentic gypsy flamenco. This guy lives in the Triana area near Sevilla and grew up there. Since this is my very first exposure to authentic music from that area, I can only guess that he represents the sound of that style. Are there other styles of flamenco??? If you buy it, let me know. I have a small interest in hearing the way other people express their emotions in music, especially poor people who have been downtrodden. It is amazing what a single, cheap instrument can do in the hands of an artist.

The surround info is not overdone and the placement of the instruments and voices is very clear.

goldenarrow

Bronze Member

MadridSpain

Post Number: 58
Flamenco is another world, and I'd say every artist is a Flamenco style of his/her own. I don't know enough about it for giving that many recommendations. But I'll name two artists you might find worthwile to check out: Camaron de la Isla and Paco de Lucia.

I'll definitely get the Heredia disc, it will be interesting to exchange opinions.

BTW: If you have the possibility to travel, Sevilla is a good place for exploring this music. It's a very beautiful city in general. And the tapas are world-class.

Hasta pronto
AL

Silver Member

Post Number: 110
I updated my review of the Heredia disc to include my extra comments:

http://www.epinions.com/content_150776221316

BTW, I have a dream of travelling all the way around the Mediterrenean. One of these days.....

Silver Member

Post Number: 497
Riding With The King - B.B. King & Eric Clapton

88/24 in both multi & stereo. A DVD-A recording of these two greats doing what they do best. Excellent sound quality and great songs from these two and the band. Wonderful! Rating: 9

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1157
not sure why i bought it buutt!

i had heard a few talking about oasis on a different board.

so i picked it up, bad idea extremely bad recording
and i didn't even like the music that much!

i give it a (2)

oasis on sacd: forgot the title "it was that bad"

Bronze Member

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 73
Liam Gallager will probably be at your door tomorrow to punch you out.

Oasis on SACD? - I am not sure some groups need SACD. Like any heavy metal or loud rock bands with little in the way of soft passages.

Blur on SACD I am waiting for, though.

Silver Member

Post Number: 155
I have found that the majority of the DVD-A and SACD titles that I have seen are crap. I won't buy something just to have a hi-rez title. I would rather have quality music on CD or LP. (I would have bought the new Wilco on SACD, but it wasn't released that way)

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1183
I find that kinda strange ben as i have a lot of
good quality music "for me" on both formats!

I have no problem every time i go to best buy to
find music that i walk away with at least three that i really want.

i've tried some out of the blue ones that didn't
turn out.
but that is my own fault.

Bronze Member

MadridSpain

Post Number: 76
I "discovered" Norah Jones and Diana Krall thanks to SACD. Hadn't heard almost anything of their work before. Then during an attack of severe high-rez abstinence I bought them and I liked them.

Silver Member

Post Number: 156
Lets see...some of the best releases of 2004:

1. Wilco, A Ghost is Born
2. Franz Ferdinand
3. Loretta Lynn, Van Lear Rose
4. Morrissey, You are the Quarry
5. Modest Mouse, Good News for Bad People
6. Sonic Youth, Sonic Nurse
7. Jay Farrar, Stone Steel & Bright Lights
8. Radiohead, Com Lag

Guess how many of these have been released on SACD or DVD-A? I bet I can get them all on LP (except for the Radiohead). In fact, the best hi-rez release I have seen in 2004 has been "Heartbreaker" by Ryan Adams and that is a reissue of an excellent sounding CD. I just find it dissapointing that the best the record companies can do is some of the junk that they have put out.

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1185
wel ben not knocking your tastes but none of the
albums you mention would be anything i would look for.

so i guess it may come down to music choice as to whether
sacd/dvd-a are good for someone.

the type of music i listen to just happens to be on high
rez. so i guess i'm lucky.

steely dan
peter gabriel
doobie brothers
beck
pink floyd
james taylor
neil young
nora jones
dianna krall
fleetwod mac
everlast
wallflowers
eagles
blues travelers
bob dylan
quen
roxy music
bto
heart

those are just the ones i know of so far. "and can remember"
so for me thers a lot. like i said everytime i go
i find something new.

thats unfortunate for your music tastes.
i hope it improves for you.
but for me so far it's great.

Bronze Member

MadridSpain

Post Number: 77
Not to forget the rumours about Alan Parsons' next album on DVD-A.

And I'd say some of them CD age hotshots weren't good enough for vinyl, neither will be for hi-rez.

Silver Member

Post Number: 157
Kegger,

Good for you! As I said, the music I want to buy dosen't come in hi-rez (for the most part) and it is very dissapoinding.

Arnold,

I don't understand what you are saying. Is is that than bands formed since the cd era are not worthy of hi-rez rercordings or is it bands that don't release lp's?

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 211
AL,

Not a rumor but indeed fact, see http://www.theavenueonline.info/ August 24th release with a 5.1 DVD-A to follow around 6 months later(I heard). Two samples can be heard here http://www.theavenueonline.info/site1/tao1.htm

Kegger,

Not sure where in Michigan you are or if you'd be interested but on September 30th Dennis DeYoung (of Styx) and Alan Parsons will be co-headlining at the Detroit Opera House where they will be performing with the Michigan Opera Orchestra. Should be interesting.

Bronze Member

MadridSpain

Post Number: 79
Ben, Let me first say I have no intention to judge if an artist should be entitled to edit an album or not. It's a free world, and may it so be forever and ever.

It's just my personal opinion, but I claim that when passing music to CD format, you pretty much reduce artistic and emotional content. To compensate this and make us continue buying music, record companies nowadays work hard on image building. I.e. to make us believe we are experiencing artistic and emotional content. I've heard that here in Europe up to 50% of CD price before VAT is marketing expenses.

Last century we had isolated promotions like The Monkees and Boney M. Today we have a worldwide avalanche of Pop Star contests. Here in Spain, these contests and uncontrolled professional piracy is about to erradicate traditional music industry.

So Ben, this is why you can't find good Hi-rez releases. Record companies makes money otherwise. I'm afraid we have to rely on true artists, to whom money is no longer an issue, taking a stand for sound quality. Mike Oldfield, Alan Parsons, Peter Gabriel: we need ya!

Cheers
AL

Silver Member

Post Number: 158
Arnold,

I guess it is how you look at it. I don't think that Oldfeld, Parsons, and Gabriel have much left to offer and what they do have will hit a very small audience. I think artists like Moby, Radiohead, U2, Wilco, NIN, Dizee Rascall, J5, etc... are the ones that are pushing musical boundaries. These artists (and their labels) will be the ones to determine if digital playback will stretch beyond red-book limits. They will also be the ones that determine if they want to make their recordings multi-channel (which isn't the same thing as hi-rez).

An intersesing article was in the USA today this week. To sum it up, US consumers are spending more of their time and money on DVD's. This is having an effect on sales of music, movies, and magazines (heck, people are even waiting for TV shows to be released on DVD so they can watch commercial free at their own leisure). It doesn't help when record compaines choose to ram interchangable pop and rap artists down consumers throats.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 213
Although this discussion is interesting and indeed should continue, I ask, respectfully, that it be moved over to another topic/header. Perhaps even a new one can be started: The Future of Music.
I believe this topic was originally started by My Rantz as a quick one-stop shop to all of us to leave and find recommendations of SACD and DVD-A discs. When we digress from that it makes it difficult to mine out true recommendations.
Thanks...

Silver Member

Post Number: 159
Sem,

What disc were you reccomending in your post? I didn't catch the title.

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1186
just recently picked up peter gabriel, would be
rated higher if it was multi but a great disk none the less!

shaking the tree - peter gabriel - SACD (2-channel) pop/rock - Rating:8.00

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 234
Eagles - Hotel California - DVD-A (multi-channel) pop/rock - Rating:8
Title track has a good mix and sounds great. The audio quality is very good for an older recording. If I were Eagles fan, I might give it a higher rating.

unknown comic
Unregistered guest
A few artists i didn't see on the lists...
Joe Satriani
Rush
Al Demiola
Steve Miller, Fly like an eagle (orig in quad)
ELP

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 237
REM - Best Of - DVD-A (multichannel) pop/rock - Rating 7.5
I should have looked at the track listing before buying. This is the best of REM?? Sonically, it sounds ok. Nothing especially annoying or special with the multichannel mix.

Bronze Member

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 78
In Time: The Best of R.E.M. 1988-2003 is the full title - starts where their previous greatest hits left off - after the Green album I believe. Eponymous - the previous greatest hits cd - came out in 1988.

I thought the selection was okay and sound was good. Their type of music does not benefit greatly from high rez format, but it does sound better than before.

Just my 2 cents

Bronze Member

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 79
sites to look for reviews - in case y'all haven't seen these:

Amazon.com - if you search for the regular
cd version of discs you will get interesting buyer reviews. And you can search for reviews at http://www.classicstoday.com and http://www.highfidelityreview.com/reviews/dvdaudio.asp and
http://www.gramophone.co.uk/cdreviews.asp and
http://www.sa-cd.net/titles/3/0/date/5/43

(Hmm - the gramophone one I use a lot as the best source I have found for classical reviews. But they don't necessarily specialize in high-rez discs.)

Bronze Member
Username: David_bel

Belgium

Post Number: 14
Great Thread!

Pink Floyd : The Dark Side of The Moon : 10 (Hybrid Multichannel SACD - Remastered)
The most obvious improvement versus its cd version(even the remastered one). The original recording dates back in 1973 or so...

REM : Automatic For The People : 8 (DVD-A - Remastered)

The Eagles : Hotel California : 8.5 (DVD-A - Remastered)

Peter Gabriel : Up : 8 (Hybrid multi-Channel SACD)

Shania Twain : Up : 7 (Hybrid multi-Channel SACD)

And soon to be released :

Genesis : The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway
Genesis : A Trick Of The Tail
both in hybrid multichannel SACD

I'm still hesitating to get Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells, though I love this cd.

My whish is to have one day all the Genesis, Pink Floyd, Yes, Supertramp, Led Zeppelin, Peter Gabriel and Radiohead in multichannel high-resolution, whatever the format.

But don't know if this will ever happen...

David

Bronze Member

MadridSpain

Post Number: 82
"Although this discussion is interesting and indeed should continue, I ask, respectfully, that it be moved over to another topic/header..." Fully agree, sorry for getting a little carried away.

Peter Gabriel - Shaking the tree (16 golden greats)
Rating: 6.5 (Sadly, PG is one of my favourite artists).

I suspect the older tracks taken from final mix, not individual recordings. Stereo image quite bad for these golden oldies.

Tracks from "So" has good stereo image, but I believe there is a lot of tape degradation. Example: Kate Bush's first two appearences on "Don't give up". 3rd appearance sounds much better.

Subtile edginess on vocals, pointing at low sampling rates somewhere in production.

Cheers
AL

Bronze Member

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 80
That seems to be the consensus of reviews I have read on PG. First two albums poor sound quality, some of the others ok. Shaking the Tree poor to fair.

Maybe it doesn't pay to come out with reissues in the new format early - all the bugs are not worked out. Maybe it takes time to do it right.

Silver Member

Post Number: 509
I'm reassessing my opinion of the DVD-A multi channel recording of "The Captain And Me" by The Doobie Brothers. The more I listen the more I appreciate that this is one hi-rez multi recording that has been handled very well.

Great songs, great band, definately one of my favourites! Turn it up and enjoy! New rating: 9

Silver Member

Post Number: 510
Oh, and thanks Sem!

Bronze Member

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 82
Oh, by the way a correction - some people like Peter Gabriel's Shaking the Tree 16 Golden Greats - see Kegger's entry above. Also some people on Amazon said it sounded good.

A lot of reviews I read said it did not sound that good, but there is no consensus.

I respect the Kegger's opinion a lot.

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1223
don that's allright.

I had shaking the tree on cd but broke it!

loved the disk, great songs.

I find the sacd recorded well as far as EQ go I
actually will have to listem some more for the imaging.

everyone listens for different things and may put
more emphasys on one versus another.

many find dark side of the moon to be excelent.
I like the surround affects amd imaging but find
the recording quality to be not as good as others
in the area of detail.

so many may base their oppinion on how well something images first
then on how well it's recorded. (eq and or noisy)

my main concern when i listen to something is EQ
then noise then imaging.

with eq and noise/how clear it sounds be the most important. "for me"
and of course the music content most of all.

i gave it an 8 because i find the music excelent
and the recording clean/clear with good detail.

could it have been recorded better? sure then it
would have gotten a 9 or 10.

had it been in surround and done properly then it
would have gotten a 9 or 10 out me also.

it's all in how you evaluate your music listening choices.

I guess i could of given more detail to what i liked.

but hey it's out their now what i look for in my music.

Bronze Member

MadridSpain

Post Number: 87
Yeah, it's a great hunk of songs from first part of PG's solo career. And the SACD much better than CD. Nice to exchange opinions about the same disc too.

I hold natural (non-digital) sound and imaging as most important criterias. Also, I try to keep down ratings by now, hoping for even better discs in the future. I gave DSotM a 7.5 as a benchmark.

BTW, that reminds me I have to update Eagles - Hotel California DVD-A rating. It should be 9.0 Huge effort was made on title track. But most of the other songs were originally rather simple recordings. Nicely converted to hi-class Hi-rez, but too uncomplicated task to motivate a top rating.

Hasta pronto
AL

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1248
well i listened to the pg disk some more last night.

and it does sound really good. "for my criteria"

I seem to be getting a good center image for voices but beyond
that not much else.

i think we got that disk covered.

Bronze Member

MadridSpain

Post Number: 89
Yep.
Mr K, I think you rate on average 1.0 point higher than me because of that incredible machinery we saw in "Discoveries" thread. I'd say ,with a setup like that even an MP3 copy of Pop Stars 2003 must sound acceptable...

Soon back with my view on "Blonde on Blonde"
AL

Gold Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 2015
AL, I have Blonde on Blonde on new vinyl LP (www.simplyvinyl.co.uk) and on SACD. I have a turntable but no SACD player, so I can't compare formats. It is a mixed bag. There are some classic, brilliant songs, especially on the first LP, such as "Just Like a Woman" and "Stuck inside of Mobile". Looking forward to your views.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 219
Finally had a chance to sit and listen to both, Neil Young's 'Greendale' and Beck's 'Sea Change'.

'Sea Change' by Beck - Although at times quite melonchaly, its interesting enough to keep me listening. Very nicely recorded, good use of surround effects. 7.5

'Greendale' by Neil Young - One thing's for sure, Young isn't one to stand still, as this disc and associated movie (which I haven't seen), can attest. A minimalist approach in that it certainly wasn't "over engineered" to say the least. In fact, the liner notes list only three musicians, which is fine. And it wouldn't surprise if most of this album was done in one take. Well, that's ok except I don't see where it really benefits all that much from surround. I like it, but feel it would have been just as effective as a 2-channel hi-res disc (IMO). 7.0

Silver Member

Post Number: 532
Sem

RE: your critique of N.Y's Greendale - fair enough, but I have to say I disagree completely with your comment "but feel it would have been just as effective as a 2-channel hi-res disc" and that's not say I'm right and you're wrong. IMO, I think the surround mix adds much to the atmosphere of this recording. I must admit, however, that I liked (and still do) this recording more with every listen. But, we are all different and I still rate "Greendale" as one of my best surround DVD-A's. BTW - As I stated on 'Discoveries' thanks for 'Someone Lend Me A Dime' - Boz is the Buzz!

Kind Of Blue - Miles Davis SACD 5.0 multi & stereo. This one benefits very little from the multi-channel mix. Very smooth - a wonderful hi-res disc of this 1959 recording. Rating: 8

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 220
MR,

"I must admit, however, that I liked (and still do) this recording more with every listen."

I completely agree. I continue to listen to it and am noticing a "fungus effect, (growing on me)." I'm warming up to it more and more with each listen.

I'll double check my surround settings, perhaps I need to tinker a bit as on many songs I didn't even hear anything from the surrounds at all. Interesting.

Bronze Member

MadridSpain

Post Number: 90
Bob Dylan - Blonde on Blonde (SACD 2.0 and 5.1)
Rating: 6.75
Nota bene: on my scale this is a superb rating for a mid-sixties recording.

I never had BoB on vinyl, but I'd say it is a brilliant SACD 2.0 remix making the album go beyond all LPs before 1968 regarding stereo image.

5.1 remiz is peculiar, Most vocals are squeezed into center channel only. Otherwise it's a moderate 5.1, just adding extra atmosphere and detail.

Hasta pronto
AL

PS: John, for me this is one of those albums that grows with each listening. Songs appear to be simple at first, but there is some heavy intelectual duty underneath. Sort of resembling to reading Jean Paul Sartre. Spooky.

Silver Member

Post Number: 160
Arnols,

Blond on Blond, originally, was a mono recording. I believe that they nixed to stereo later on. This was a common priactice with 60's recordings.

Sem,

Watch it, your system setup issues should probably be discussed on another forum.

Cheers.

Bronze Member

MadridSpain

Post Number: 95
Tss, tss... I read Sem and MR as pointing out a potential review bias by setup. My digression on modern philosophy was a worse case.

Anyway, thanks Ben for confirming what I already guessed considering BoB. So the SACD remix is an even more remarkable craftsmanship, IMO.

Cheers
AL

Silver Member

MadridSpain

Post Number: 125
Roxy Music - Avalon (SACD)
Rating: 8.5

Beautiful. 2-ch remix is very faithful to vinyl edition. A couple of mishaps, of little importance. M-Ch remix slightly overdone, some instruments placed in one loudspeaker, not in one corner of room

(booklet confirm sound techician's enthusiasm...).

Hasta pronto
AL

Bronze Member

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 90
My Roxy greatest SACD sounds pretty good - stereo only I believe.

Sounds great through my Paradigm "Bass Hump" Titan speakers for some reason. Certain sounds get accentuated that make it sound cool.

Yo-Yo Ma sounds awfully distorted on the other hand through those Titans - TOO MUCH BASS!

Bronze Member

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 91
I don't know if I listed these already:

Yo-Yo Ma Obrigado Brazil SACD sounds great - not my style though. 9

Police Greatest SACD - lots of added value from surround tracks. 9

Silver Member

Post Number: 659
LA Woman - The Doors DVD-A 2 & multi channel Rating 6.00

A bit disappointing. Too much sound coming from the center speaker in surround mode. I've heard better resolution from earlier recordings, but the original 8 track master may not have been the best anyway.

The Fabulous Thunderbirds - Live! DTS 96/24, DD 2 channel, DVD-A 5.1 Rating 7

Also a little disappointing. Again too much sound from the center. This was a live recording especially set up for 5.1 surround recording. I feel the DTS 96/24 with a digital connection to the Marantz 7300 was better than the DVD-A out of the Denon 2900's analogues. Good songs, good sound only should have been better.

Silver Member

Post Number: 665
The Police - Every Breath You Take. SACD Hybrid
Rating - 8.5

Have only listened to the 5.1 surround recording of all these old Police favourites. The resolution is sensational. The surround mix is excellent. Turn it up and enjoy - this is a worthy addition to your hi-rez collection. In a word - wonderful!

Bronze Member

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 95
I concur on the Police Every Breath Greatest Hits cd. It sounds so different in surround that it is like a new album.

Silver Member

Post Number: 666
Don

I forgot you had rated this Police SACD - you're right that it is like a new album. Many sounds I had not heard before. It was above my expectations.

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 220
Genius Loves Company - Ray Charles SACD
Rating: 7.5

Ray sings duets with Norah Jones, James Taylor, Diana Krall, Elton John, Natalie Cole, Bonnie Raitt, Willie Nelson, Michael McDonald, BB King, Gladys Knight, Johnny Mathis, and Van Morrison.

Excellent soundstage across the front with ambient support in the rear. Musically uneven, but Ray and Van the Man doing "Crazy Love" worth the price.

Silver Member

Post Number: 175
R.L. Burnside - First Recordings - MOFI SACD. 10/10. Another great MOFI reissue. For those of you foolish enough to beileve that Eric Clapton and Stevie Ray Vaughn can/could play the blues, pick this one up. It may change your mind about what the blues are...

Bronze Member
Username: Kingfish

Grateful Dead - American Beauty

#1 Bar none. Best DVD-A out in it's class IMO.

Remixed by Mickey Hart...the authority in high resolution audio. Remixed from a drummers' perspective... Grateful Dead's American Beauty. Jawdropping, in glorious DVD Audio.

American Beauty DVD-Audio

A must get for any hi-res enthusiast.

quote:

It's a Masterpiece, from a Masterpiece."

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
oops, I just realized I didn't follow your posting guidelines for this thread. Sorry. I'll re-do another day in complete.

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1571
That is some high praise there kieth.

I will have to look for that one in the near future.

good job.

you don't need to follow the forum rule to a tee
i'm sure
mr. rantz will understand.

you listed what it was and how well you liked it that works for me.

Silver Member

Post Number: 747
Works for me too - a good wrap - sounds like another worthy one to investigate!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
I appreciate it guys. Hope you have an original CD to listen to first. The difference is unbelievable.

Silver Member

Post Number: 769
Santana - Shaman - DVD-A 5.1, 2.0 & DD Rating 7
Enjoyable and interesting. Carlos's guitar soars with exotic percussion and guest artists. Along the same lines of Supernatural

Rod Stewart - It Had To Be You DVD-A 5.1, 2.0 & DD Rating 7

At first, there was too much voice focussed on the center speaker. I re-postioned the center above the display to put it close in line with the mains and that made all the difference. While the old jazz songs, singing are very good, the recording could have been better.

Both these DVD-A's do not state the resolution figures - a pity!

Silver Member

Post Number: 801
Steely Dan - Gaucho - SACD Multi/2Ch/CD
Rating 9.5

Excellent recording/mixing. One of the best yet. Only downside is it's only around 38 minutes. Big points for SACD with this one.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 62
I've been hoping Steely Dan would release Can't Buy a Thrill on high-res format.

Silver Member

MadridSpain

Post Number: 178
Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited (2.0 SACD)
Rating: 6.5

DSD does it's job well, more relaxed and more musical detail. Proves there is life beyond 24-bit remastered CD.

Cheers
AL

Bronze Member
Username: Nutopia

Post Number: 11
If you like Classical, please check out

Carl Orff: Carmina Burana Atlanta Symphony Orchestra & Chorus Donald Runnicles (conductor)

There's a variety of performances out there, but this one is EXCELLENT. Having performed in this piece of music about four times myself, I can vouch for the performance. If you don't know it, I guarentee you've heard it before, it's on many movie soundtracks. It's mixed in Multichannel SACD and it's amazing!

Also check out the one CD that convinced me to go HiRez: Blonde on Blonde by Dylan. Multichannel SACD excellence!!

My next purchase: Kind of Blue--great reviews, can't wait!

England

Post Number: 4
Aerosmith:- "Oh Yeah! ultimate Aerosmith hits" Columbia records
SACD, DSD, Double album
Music quality very good, clear and able to pick up parts not available on normal cd. BUT....

Only 2 channel! I could have lived with the standard CD price. I want five channel on my SACD's.

For that reason 5/10

Bronze Member
Username: Jliverpool

Does anyone have a rating for Porcupine Tree's "In Absentia" in DVD-A. I know it won last years 5.1 surround sound award last year.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 299
John,
I have it and rated it above. This is the first I've heard of any awards its won. Who gave out the award? I like PT and have some of their other cds. Although they don't particularly sound like Pink Floyd, they do remind me in some ways of them. They use some of the same effects as Floyd, ie: dark moody lyrics, layered vocals, echoes, both subtle and overt sound effects, etc. I think many fans of the Floyd would also find PT quite accessible.
As far as best surround mix, although its mixed by Elliot Scheiner, (he's discussed often here), I feel there are far better suround mixes around.

Silver Member
Username: Two_cents

Post Number: 304
Does anyone know if there will be a high-def, multi-channel release of "Smile"?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1002
Two Cents

I have a one channel High-def smile but I don't we're talking the same thing:-)

Bought Bob Dylan's "Blonde on Blonde" Double Hybrid SACD

For Nostalgia Rating 10
For musical enjoyment Rating 7
For sound quality Rating 6

Aslo bought Bob Dylan's "Love And Theft" Hybrid SACD

A little unusual. Good MC recording, not brilliant. Good songs - a mixture blues, rag, rock.

Rating 7

Comparing the old and new recordings on the SACD format is like chalk and cheese. Naturally recording equipment of the mid-sixties had it limitations.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 306

quote:

Comparing the old and new recordings on the SACD format is like chalk and cheese. Naturally recording equipment of the mid-sixties had it limitations.

I agree MR. In fact I made a similar point a couple months ago regarding converting older 2 channel recordings into surround as opposed to producing MC recordings right out of the gate. The recording engineers can now look at their profession with new eyes. I really feel, as a whole, the best is yet to come.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us