Archive through June 11, 2006

Andrew Lawrence
Unregistered guest
SkipL:

Thanks for your post. Judging by your post and others, it would seem that Panasonic has decided to be more responsive to their customers. I don't know if you needed a new ballast. What I do know is that there have been some posts about bulbs failing prematurely after their ballast was replaced.

Username: Dan_st_jean

Iowa

Post Number: 1
Scott Jeffrey,

Sounds like the Ballast to me. Mine does that except does not last 30 seconds more like only a few.

Without a lamp it should do nothing so don't think it is the lamp.

Stephen MM
Unregistered guest
Is the premature bulb failure a Panasonic problem or a DLP technology problem? I've just bought a Toshiba 46HM95 DLP TV. Can I expect the same as the Panasonic horror stories above?

Spare lamp anyone?
Unregistered guest
Pan...ic is an LCD technology with a bad lamp manufacturer/supplier.

It has nothing whatsoever to do with DLP technology.

That doesn't mean you won't be replacing your lamp, eventually. You bought a consumable lamp projector.

Paulgw
Unregistered guest
I have just purchased a Panasonic model 52-61LCX65 TV which has the apparently infamous TY-LA1000 lamp. It's a floor model so I would like to check the hours of operation and number of on/off cycles. Some posts are very specific about these numbers so I assume it's possible. How can I check?
My decision to buy this model was based on the November Consumer Reports high rating for this set. Incidentally the store I purchased from have offered me a 5 year replacement warrenty on the lamp due to my concerns about failure.
Thx

Andrew Lawrence
Unregistered guest
Paulgw:

If you spoke with me prior to your purchase, I would have advised against it given all the controversy surrounding the $300 TY-LA1000 bulb. But good luck with your new set and let us know if any issues develop. I do think the new Panasonic TC-32LX50 of the Vera series looks attractive, but it is very pricey right now. In addition to owning the PT-50LC13, I also own a 22" model of the Vera line and I have been very pleased with it.

http://cnet.nytimes.com/Panasonic_TC_32LX50/4505-6482_7-31324701.html

Paulgw
Unregistered guest
Andrew:

Thanks for your input, I checked out the TC-32LX50 but was/am really looking for a 50/52" model. The Consumers Reports, good price plus 5 year lamp warranty tipped the scales in favour of the 52-61LCX65.

What I am really anxious to know how to check the hours of use, etc; all I get from the manual is that a timer must be reset when the lamp is changed and to follow the instructions that come with the lamp!

Andrew Lawrence
Unregistered guest
Paulgw:

When I replaced my first lamp, which blew after 13 months of use, I was unable to figure out how to reset the lamp timer. But is there any point to it anyway? I don't think in terms of minutes and hours. I think in terms of months. Panasonics warranty for the TY-LA1000 bulb is only 12 months. The bulb life is VERY short and I think that is the only thing worth knowing. The luckiest people see their bulbs last about 24 months, but they are in the minority. It seems that most people's bulbs blow within 12 months. So, if you can figure out how to set the timer, great. But the lifespan is so short I can simply keep mental track of it.

Paulgw
Unregistered guest
Andrew:

Scarey!

Sounds like my 5 year warranty could get a workout.

Unregistered guest
I have a PT40LC12 that I bought 2.5 years ago, and I am receiving the infamous "change your lamp" message... I bought a replacement, but my original still seems to work. Is there any danger in using my old lamp until it dies? If it blows, will that cause damage to something else inside the TV?

Thanks for the help everyone! This thread has really been informative. I hope that those of you with the LC13 and LC14 series will get some reparations from Pana.

By the way, I bought my TY-LA1500 on ebay from an auction that ended on a saturday morning at 12AM for $175 (incuded shipping)... May want to check out those auctions ending at a weird time to get a good price

Andrew Lawrence
Unregistered guest
Rufo444:

There is no damage that I am aware of. If your bulb shatters, the debris is contained inside of the lamp casing. The problem I see with having an extra spare bulb hanging around while you have one in use is that the one year warranty clock is ticking away. I'm curious if the bulb you bought on ebay came with the warranty paperwork and, if so, how much time was remaining on the warranty period.

Rufo444
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the info Andrew!

It did indeed come with the original packaging from Panny and an invoice showing the date it was sold to me. I imagine the warranty will be good starting from the date on that invoice.

Andrew Lawrence
Unregistered guest
POSSIBLE CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT!!!

I came across a recent post on the Panasonic Bulb Petititon http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?panbulb&1. It says:

"I am a class action attorney (see millslawfirm.com) I am filing a class action on behalf of purchasing consumers of this product. Please help us by contacting me with information about this problem. Robert W. Mills"

I recommend that those of you interested in pursuing a class action, contact Mr. Mills and share what you know about this on-going problem. I know I will.

Andrew

Unregistered guest
I own the PT50LC13 I bought it in June 04. Nov 04 (last game of the red sox world series) the 1st bulb went (have to wait another 82 years err) Panny sent me a new one (easy only waited a few minutes) in May 05 I bought the C.City 4 year warranty (thank god for this forum) the 2nd bulb went in June 05. Now its Nov. 05 and the third bulb just blew (thank god I bought the EW) CC is sending me another bulb. I am considering calling them and asking them for the Ballast. I will do this from now on - CC - EW has a lemon clause stating if they can't get the problem fix in three try's they will replace the set. Has anyone tried this approach?

So far I have not had any trouble getting the parts (now I have the direct parts line - I think they are starting to call me by my first name)

Oh yea, the parts always go on holiday weekends making the process last even longer....

Andrew Lawrence
Unregistered guest
I am pleased to report that an attorney from the Mills Law Firm contacted me about the TY-LA1000 lamp issue. This firm is currently investigating this issue and will make a determinaton if there is a strong enough case to slam Panasonic with a lawsuit. Nothing guaranteed here, but I am nonetheless pleased that a possible suit is being considered. IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO GET INVOLVED, PLEASE CONTACT MR. HARRY SHULMAN AT THE MILLS lAW FIRM. THE TOLL-FREE NUMBER IS 866/764-1658.

Username: Januszmn

Post Number: 2
It may be the bulb, or the power supply or both.
Look at my other post in this TOPIC:

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/121989.html

It has a lot of information that is very useful.

Unregistered guest
I purchased my PT50LC13 May 11 04, and two days ago the tv turned itself off and the lamp light is blinking, but there was no warning that the lamp needed to be replaced. The tv just turned off and wont power back on. I bought the tv from brandsmart, purchased a 3 year extended warranty, but just found out that my warranty does not cover the lamp. I called Panasonic, and was told I need to buy a new lamp because I am 5 days past the 18 month mark. Is there any way to know for sure it is the lamp, even though there was no warning screen about the lamp running out, as the manual states? Is this something that I can change myself if I order a new lamp? Has anyone done this? Can you tell me how, and what tools I need?

Andrew Lawrence
Unregistered guest
Nepstein:

It sounds like your lamp blew, based on the symptoms you describe. Changing out the old bulb with a new one is very simple and something you can handle yourself with a screwdriver. But first you should remove the bulb from your set and examine it. Very often the bulb is shattered and this is the most obvious indication of a bulb gone bad. Look for an earlier post of mine explaining how you remove the bulb. A new bulb from Panasonic will run you $300, which is outrageous. You will do better by getting one for $50 - $100 less on EBAY, which is still outrageous, but a considerable savings.

wilburg
Unregistered guest
The bulb is $288.00 at http://www.ercservice.com/lamps/panasoniclamps/TY-LA1000.html

Checking the the bulb is simple under the screen is a silver cover - pull it off

You will see a door on the left side unscrew it You will see another screw on the housing unit unscrew that and and pull out the housing - that is it - take a look at the bulb it should be obviously blown

I would still call panny and ask them to replace it - the have often said yes (they unofficially know that there is a problem)

Unregistered guest
Thank you for your help. I did call Panasonic back and I think they are going to send a replacement lamp, the woman I spoke to the second time I called was very nice. I did check the bulb and it is shattered. Was very easy to do, thank you, I thought I would have to open the tv and I don't even own any tools. Before I found out they would replace the bulb, I bought one from their recommended local dealer. Just for your information, this place had the bulb for $255 www.vancebaldwin.com. So unless someone wants to buy the bulb from me for 250, I will keep this one since they charge a restocking fee, doesnt make sense to send it back. Thanks for your help though, and instructions on opening the tv to change the bulb.

Andrew Lawrence
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the tip on Vance Baldwin for a $255 bulb.

Wilburg
Unregistered guest
good thing - an extra bulb will in no doubt some in handy

thanks for the tip!

BTW after 5 calls to circuit city and waiting on hold for longer than a total of 3+ hours cc will be sending me a tech that is two towns away - if you remember the first tech they tried to send was 100 miles away - that may be fine if you live in India but not around here - My light bulb was shipped in three business days - now my remote doesn't work - rrrrrggghhhh

Anonymous

I was checking in here because I bought my Panasonic PT-60LCX64 60" LCD RP TV from Costco 7/24/05 and the bulb just went out today 11/17/05. Not quite 4 months. I saw someone returning the same TV to Costco last weekend. I think my TV will go back. I have had my old Hitachi for 10 years and it is still ticking. Time to research a TV all over again.

Username: Schmitty

Hello purchesed pt-50lc13 on 5/30/04 Tommorow going to call service department and try to get my "fourth" lamp! this tv is only one year and five months young! They came across with the first three well see how things go. Dose anyone have info on this extended warrenty? im hearing about. Any inf is helpfull thanks Rob will sign petion also

Username: Bobg3723

Too bad there hasn't yet been an equitable remedy for Panasonic TV's with the TY-LA1000 premature bulb-life problems other than to have those among us who are out of warranty replace a part that clearly doesn't operate within acceptable standards. Not to mention the inconveniance but on our dime no less. I just spoke with a BestBuy warranty representative on the phone regarding their No Lemon Replacement extended warranty. It states that upon the fourth failure you can replace the TV with a totally different manufacturer and pay the difference in the purchase price or be refunded the difference for the new TV.
For what is an otherwise technically exceptional TV, it is all the more a shame. Having said that, I have one more failure to go on mine before I can seek something better. I may go with Panasonic again, but the next time around I'll be more focused on the track record of a TV. I can accept the limitaions of a TV with a consumable part like a lamp. I can accept the limitations of a DLP based unit with moving parts that can wear out with time. What is not acceptable is premature failure on what may very well be an expensive replacement part.
Taking in account consumable replacement part costs, is there a concensus among those here on this blog for a 50 inch HDTV comparable to the PT-50LC13 in picture quality that has lower operating costs involved?

Thanks in advance,
Bob

That sounds like good news where you talking about the panasonic warranty or BestBuys warranty?
Im realy not sure if Im covered we bought the tv on line from BestBuys plasma.com wich differs from the BestBuy store.Still trying to get thru to them after three days of phone tag. Thru there maze of phone tranfers. It seems as though once you mention "DLP lamp" its like you have the black plague! There whole tone changes, Rob

Post Number: 3
Just Got off the phone with my local ty repair man . He says the warranty on the lamp has been extended from one year to 18 months.

bpear
Unregistered guest
My PT-50LC14 is one year old and I estimate the lamp has been lit 3500 hours. I have been turning it on and off twice a day.

I just purchased a one year Circuit City Warranty for less than half what Panasonic wanted. A 54 minute waiting time to speak to Panny's Tech Support kinda turned me off. CC says they will mail you a lamp when it fails.

Panny's warranty on the lamp in question is 18 months as previously stated here.

scar
Unregistered guest
second lamp in two years purchased 4yr ew through circuit city (thank god) even though the service company said panasonic's picking up the tab this time (even though i'm at 24 mos)

when i purchased this tv i narrowed down the choices to this model and the sony version (don't remember the model) but the reason i went with the panasonic was that they put in writing the estimated lamp life where sony didn't

its funny, i can't find any petition sites for sony.

scar
Unregistered guest
spoke too soon, saw some ugly stuff out their on sony. guess it's back to good old reliable crt tv

FreddyJim
Unregistered guest
My Panasonic PT40CL12 has the red LAMP light lit. I have received the msg which says to replace the bulb, and have thrown down $300 for a new one which will not arrive until next week. The TV seems to be working ok now, picture a bit dim. Will I harm the TV by continuing to use it? If bulb dies, does this harm anything else? thanks in advance. I have had this TV for 22 months, first bulb. still not happy about $300 to replace...

Unregistered guest
PT-44LCX65 in operation today 11/25/05... wish me luck....

Anonymous

We got our PT-60LCx64 for only 4 months and the bulb blew. This tv was used very lightly - morning news and evening news with occasional DVD. This was bought at Costco. May be I'll bring the TV back and stay away from Panasonic altogether.

GregOKC
Unregistered guest
Pany replaced my lamp 15 months ago it just blew again. My pt-50lc13 is 25 months old. Is the replacement lamp also covered by the pany 18 month warranty?

Silver Member
Username: Wearenotalone69

Post Number: 282
GregOKC,

I doubt it. If anything it would be the balance of whatever time remaining from the ORGINAL lamp that was shipped with the set... NOT the replacement.
Your set is 25 months old... so you're well past the 18 month time frame.

While I'm a firm believer of rated run times being honored regardless of the purchase date... The mfg's don't look at it that way it seems.

To mean for example (I owning a JVC D-ILA) that is rated for 6,000 hours means 6,000 hours.... In real world time that should equate to 3 -5 years run time....

Of course the lamp is only warrantied for 1 year...

PS: If it was a case that you PURCHASED a LAMP... and that lamp had a 18 month warranty.. then YES they would replace it.

GregOKC
Unregistered guest
Thanks "WeAreNotAlone",

I called Panasonic and the replacemant lamp has only the one year warranty. This could get expensive replacing this $300 lamp 12 - 14 months or so! sheees!

Bronze Member
Username: Kwallstorm

Post Number: 23
Panasonic isn't the only mfg having problems with their lamps. Toshiba is beginning to show up way too often now. It looks like all of us are in for a long road with these bulbs. Hope everyone has an extended warrenty that covers bulbs.

Unregistered guest
Have pt50lc13 got in 10/03 and am replacing lamp for the 3rd time. Last time in 7/05. Each time my lamp light does not come on. Could there be another reason beside the cheaply made lamp causing the problem

John B. Kalla
Unregistered guest
I have the PT40LC12, and my TV was constantly giving me a "Filter Needs Cleaning" message. I'm assuming that it is overheating? Is it a bulb problem? After a year, the message now comes on at about 30secs of usage (then the TV shuts down). I'm wondering if I should replace the bulb for $300 or maybe just call it a $3000 waste of money and save up for a decent TV from another manufacturer...

Username: Tank

A friend of mine has a PT50LC13, his light went after a year & a bit.Now the store wants to come good on it a give him a replacement (I think it has to be a Panasonic).Now which model should he get or stay away from?

bpear
Unregistered guest
Those of you who have had lamps blow during the warranty period which were replaced by Panasonic or Circuit City, were you required to return the burned out lamps?

Anonymous

find out your bulb life and share:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/archive/index.php/t-353230.html

Unregistered guest
My 3rd lamp just went out on my Panasonic PT-45LC12 TV. I purchased the TV in Sept. of 2002. I called Panasonic Customer Service, and asked to speak to a supervisor. The supervisor said that she was not aware of any lamp problems with my model, or for that matter any of the LCD TVs. Hmmm? I told her about the online petition. Her reply was anybody can put what they want on the internet. After refusing (she preferred the term "no way to justify") to replace the lamp part I informed her about looking into a class action law suit. I will be contacting the law office posted on this web site. Please let me know if anyone has had a customer service rep from Panasonic acknowledge the lamp issue reference to a design flaw. I really do appreciate the input of those on this web site.

Silver Member

Post Number: 314
I can't understand why all you guys are bent out of shape about the lamps burning out every few months... Each one costing hundreds of dollars each :-)

(Just kidding, I'm with you guys... I think a part rated for XYZ amount of time should be warrantied for the amount of hours it is rated REGARDLESS of purchase date.)

https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=2&post=523436#POST523436
https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=2&post=524319#POST524319

BTW: The only way to get LAMP life, or should I say get the mfg's to honor the rated lamp life is by people posting DETAILED info.

Having posts with DETAILED info , for EVERYONE to see on the "net" would pressure the mfg's to STAND behind the rated times.

It would be hard for a mfg'r to say there is NOT a problem... when a LARGE number of people have posted DETAILED info....

1: The mfg /model
2: Serial number of your set
3: Date of mfg
4: Date of purchase
5: Note symptoms
6: Note amount of run time each day.
7: Note amount time set say on once it is powered up. (In other words your not turning OFF and back on every time a commercial comes on.)
5: Note if set in plugged into a UPS -to not only FILTER incoming power, but to PROTECT set from BROWN-OUT conditions (low voltage)

Posting details like the above not only will "help" the mfg'rs address the problem... but it will make it ALLOT harder for them to "wiggle" out of any claims, and lawsuits that may come about if these issues are not fixed.

You can be assured that once the sets of OUT of warranty we owners will be the ones footing the bill:-( :-( :-( .... Unless people start posting DETAILED info... for force them to extend the time period on the lamps.

Silver Member

Post Number: 315
BTW: I wish my set (JVC HD-61z575,mfg Jan-05) had a way to check the run time, you guys are lucky in that respect. Hard for a mfg to wiggle out of honoring early lamp failure when the set coughs up the info as noted here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/archive/index.php/t-353230.html

Just a fun little thread to find out how many hours you have on the bulb in your Panasonic PT-50LC13.

For those that don't know how:

With the TV powered off (make sure it's off for a few minutes before trying this, or you'll wait for the customary cooldown period before anything happens if you turn the set off and try this stuff immediately), press and hold both the "VOLUME Down" button on the TV itself and the TV/VIDEO key on the remote control simultaneously for about 7 seconds. The TV will be turned on and it will have a screen of status data atop an active TV channel. To get out of this mode TURN OFF your TV.

This initial "SERVICE MODE 1/3" screen shows -

LAMP OPERATION TIME
TOTAL :
CURRENT LAMP:
OSD DISPLAY :
LON COUNT :
"
"

Cruiser posts back:
Here are my LAMP usage and LAMP on readings -

LAMP OPERATION TIME
TOTAL : 1757h
CURRENT LAMP: 1757h
OSD DISPLAY : ON
LON COUNT : 339

Wow...I got it around the end of Last August, and at 1757 hours, that puts mine at a little over 351 hours a month = a little over 4212 hours in a year. Mine has also been turned on a total of 339 times, which = approximately 68 times a month, or a tad over twice a day.

PS: If ANYONE knows how to make a JVC HD-61Z575 D-ILA set cough up detailed info like that... I'm all ears.

The Service manual has nothing in there about run time, times turned off and on, etc. The only thing I see is a feature to "reset' the lamp timer... It not giving details...

Bronze Member
Username: Likegrouch

Post Number: 15
I can bet the JVC keeps these stats somewhere - but wont show you those - really a terrible closed and proprietary method of conducting business - they should realize the world is moving towards open systems, interfaces and source code.
Anyone know how to get the diagnostic screen on the JVCs - would be VERY helpful to diagnose the very short lamp life

MNavage
Unregistered guest
Hi All, has anyone replaced all these bulbs themselves? Or better to get professionally done?

Andre T
Unregistered guest
I am going to throw the 2003 TV away! I hate Panasonic and will NEVER NEVER buy anything else from Panny. Even a cheap phone.

I am pretty sure they keep the lamp quality intentionally low to pump money from TV owners. Why would that piece of junk cost $300 ($400 Canadian + tax 15%)?

Owner, it is NOT difficult to replace the bulb. I did it twice. But don't buy the bulb, better buy another - GOOD - TV set. Not a Panasonic. Stop sponsoring junk-makers!

Unregistered guest
Purchased Panasonic PT50LC13 in June 2004. First bulb went out in May 2005. I had the ballast and bulb replaced. Now only 6 months later same problem again. The bulb burned out.
This is very frustrating. There is definitely a problem with this set. Panasonic needs to correct this or exchange the sets for a different model. To pay that type of money then have this type of problem is unacceptable.

wilburg
Unregistered guest
I recieved a call from our service department - they found fault with my ballast and were to replace it. Panny reported to him that they had a faulty ballast and will not ship him anymore until they correct the ballast problem. They will however replace the lamps as they burn out

unhappycamper
Unregistered guest
Just experienced my first failed TY-LA1000 in my PT-50LC13. Owned the TV about 13 months. I've really enjoyed the set until I ran across this web page. Although, I have the extended warranty, I am not a happy camper when I think about what my future holds relative to this TV. Panny will be sending my replacement bulb in 3-4 business days. The owner's manual suggests to have an extra lamp on hand, easier said than done when damn things cost $300+. Not sure what I will do with set in 2008 when my extended protection expires..... If it continues - no more Panasonic products in my home!!!!

Andre T
Unregistered guest
FIX THE LAMP - DON'T BUY!

I think we all should think about how to fix the lamp instead of buying a new one from Panny (so expensive). I don't want to pay them a cent.
Halogen lamps cost 5 bucks, but they obviously won't work there. LA1000 uses a 100 WATT Mercury lamp, but I am not sure what voltage, I guess 20V.
The most similar lamp that is probably the same as used in LA1000 is "HBO100W/2" (or maybe "HBO103W/2" wich is almost the same). Search the web for "HBO100W/2" and you will see lots of them. It is still expensive - about $100.00, but way cheaper.
Does anybody knows technical specs of the Panasonic (LA1000) light bulbs? Thanks!!!!!

Anonymous

Here's another forum for complaints:

http://www.consumerreports.org/static/0512brp0_poll.html

This is on the free part of the Consumer Reports site.

"December 2005

Buying replacement parts

Whether you're talking about appliances or electronics equipment, big-ticket items or inexpensive models, the cost of replacement parts--light bulbs, blade assemblies, mixing bowls, picture tubes, and the like--can be substantial, and sometimes seemingly out of whack with what the entire product cost when new.

If you've recently bought replacement parts for one or more of your household products, we'd like to hear from you."

Tell all your friends and have fun!

Unregistered guest
I own a Panasonic PT50LC13 in which the lamp went out after 15 months,which is a little better than some of you.After looking at the faulty design which generates an overheating problem,I think I have found a solution that may
help extend the life of the lamp (I am now a health professional but I used to work for Hughes Aircraft Company as an electronic technician for 11 years):just leave the square panel which covers the lamp off the TV set,do not put it back,the unit does not look too bad
without it and ,if you are good with your hands,screw a heat sink (you can find those at Sav on electronics or Radio shack) on the aluminium box that covers the lamp and you will reduce the overheating problem at least by half.This will extend the life of the bulb considerably ,while we are waiting for the class action suit to be successful.Good luck to all.

sukimac
Unregistered guest
Thanks Andrew Lawrence for posting contact info re: class action suit. I just spoke with Mr. Shulman and even if nothing comes of the class action suit, at least we tried. My lamp blew on my PT50LC13 after 20 months of use, approx. 3 hours a day, roughly 1800 hours. Simply unacceptable. I agree with a previous poster who stated that Panasonic could resolve this by reducing the cost of the replacement lamps. In any event, I intend on writing a few letters and looking in to some consumer protection laws re: fraud. Probably nothing will come of it, but, I feel like it's a constructive way to vent my anger. Thanks also to the many posters offering tips on extending the life of these defective lamps. Knowledge is power.

Tbrewst
Unregistered guest
I know this is amazing but I just got my first replace lamp warning today.I purchased my 50LC13 in Sept 03.I followed NotAlone's tip and looked at my hours.It said "Total 10001h,Current Lamp 10001h,LON 1205".LOL..guess that's alot of hours per turn on.This set gets watched ALOT.I purchased it from Best Buy and got the 4 yr EW.I'm gonna try and see if I can get it replaced.Just hope I don't continue to have troubles like stated above once I replace the lamp.

Unregistered guest
Thank you for your post, Sukimac. I am re-posting my earlier message for those who would like to get involved in a class action law suit against Panasonic.

I am pleased to report that an attorney from the Mills Law Firm contacted me about the TY-LA1000 lamp issue. This firm is currently investigating this issue and will make a determinaton if there is a strong enough case to slam Panasonic with a lawsuit. Nothing guaranteed here, but I am nonetheless pleased that a possible suit is being considered. IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO GET INVOLVED, PLEASE CONTACT MR. HARRY SHULMAN AT THE MILLS lAW FIRM. THE TOLL-FREE NUMBER IS 866/764-1658.

Rob up north
Unregistered guest
I have had lamp trouble with my PT50LC13 as well. I bought a demo model in Dec of 2003. First bulb blew up in Jan.05. Actually shatterd inside. In Sept 2005 second bulb shatterd as well. I was out of warranty for both failures. Panasonic Canada was helpful, as was the local tech who replaced both for free! After the second replacement bulb was installed there was a stuck pixel (very obvious) about 12" from the left side of the screen. I was shocked to find that this would require the replacement of a $2300 CAD "light engine". It was quite the coincidence that the pixel problem occured at the same time as the bulb failure. I am happy to say that alomst 2 years after the purchase of this TV, Panasonic has just replaced the light engine at no charge to me. I am not sure what the issue is, if they have identified one, but one thing for sure - I did not receive expected life from either bulb or the light engine. Panasonic Canada has been friendly, courtious and most importantly been behind me, the customer, to ensure that I have received fair value for my investment. I hope you all fare as well as I did.

Rob up north
Unregistered guest
I have had lamp trouble with my PT50LC13 as well. I bought a demo model in Dec of 2003. First bulb blew up in Jan.05. Actually shatterd inside. In Sept 2005 second bulb shatterd as well. I was out of warranty for both failures. Panasonic Canada was helpful, as was the local tech who replaced both for free! After the second replacement bulb was installed there was a stuck pixel (very obvious) about 12" from the left side of the screen. I was shocked to find that this would require the replacement of a $2300 CAD "light engine". It was quite the coincidence that the pixel problem occured at the same time as the bulb failure. I am happy to say that alomst 2 years after the purchase of this TV, Panasonic has just replaced the light engine at no charge to me. I am not sure what the issue is, if they have identified one, but one thing for sure - I did not receive expected life from either bulb or the light engine. Panasonic Canada has been friendly, courtious and most importantly been behind me, the customer, to ensure that I have received fair value for my investment. I hope you all fare as well as I did.

tsboy69
Unregistered guest
Well, my 2nd bulb went out yesterday. I bought it from one of Panasonic's official distributors of it's TY-L:A1000 on May 16th. I figure no more than 1000 hours (more like 600) and it's gone.

I will be calling their customer service to see if I have any chance of a warrenty, but am not expecting anything. If they do not replace it at no charge, the tv goes into the garage. It is rubbish.

Anonymous

Just a follow-up. Called their customer care early this morning and based on me providing proof of purchase (date) from their authorized dealer, they will be DHL'ing a new bulb and a tech will be calling after the holidays to schedule an appointment to check things out.

Cost to me? Nothing yet. I just hope it is the bulb. I need to send back the one in the unit right now and if it is ok, then they will charge me the $299. If it is something else, then I am stuck getting the lemon fixed and dealing with it.

Thanks to all for your efforts and help.

wilburg
Unregistered guest
It's the BALLAST - which lights the bulb - the power fluctuates (sp?)causing low life on bulbs. Panny is not authorizing the replacement on Ballasts until the redesign it.

Username: Nightline

Hello everyone, been watching this thread for a little while and figured I will post my issues also. My lamp went out approx. 4 weeks ago, but have been doing a lot of travelling, so figured I would order another one later. Finally ordered, and received the lamp today (just in time to watch some games on X-Mas), but when I put the lamp in, I get the same blinking power light, and then the red lamp light.

I am assuming, that I now have the ballast issue also. I am currently on hold with Panasonic on my cell phone (been 45 min on hold as I write this). So we will see what happens, and I will post my findings. Just curious about this ballast piece.. where is it? what does it actually do?

See ya

Well, they answered just after I posted the above message. Bacially, Panasonic told me that my lamp and set are out of warranty, and they gave me a number of a local service center. Sinec its the holidays, I will call them on Tuesday and see what they say. When the tech told me this, I said to her "so I am just dead in the water, and have to pay to fix a $3,800 set that is known to have problems?" She said that if the service people cant help me, then I can fax my receipt to them, and they would see what they can do. I will definitely press this issue.

My set was purchased on 3-9-04. Cant post any lamp timings, since the lamp wont come on. But as of 4 weeks ago, this would be my first lamp replacement, and this set gets used daily, at least 5-6 hours M-F, and about 20 hrs total on the weekends.

More to come later...

Talked to the local service center today to setup an appt. to look at my set. They will be here next tuesday. Also called Panasonic back and was on hold for 58 minutes, and Charles at x. 5004 said that my model the PT-60LC13 is not listed as having the ballast issue, but the 50" PT-50LC13 is the one that has that issue. But then again, the differences between those two models is just the screen size, so go figure.

So... where is everyone.. 3 straight posts from me.. no one else around?

Anonymous

I Also own a PT-50LC13. Just received my 3rd bulb today. The first one lasted 9 months and the second one lasted 3 months.
When I originally called Panny about the second bulb burning out they said now that I was out of warranty. That is until I read your post last week about the replacement bulbs having a 12 month warranty. I called Panny and they sent me another bulb. Until then I let the set lay dormant for 6 months. No way was I going to pay $300.00 for a 3rd bulb after 12 months.
Obviously there is a problem with these sets. Either in the bulbs, balasts, or filters.
For whatever the case may be. The set should have been equipped with a battery backup if the fan is so crucial to it's operation.
However it seems to be a Panasonic situation. In a sense that what ever the case may be. That whatever the problem is that Panasonic's quality control or tolerances on these items were overlooked and definately an issue that they need to remedy. There are too many sets out there with the same issue. Plus they have stopped producing those sets from what I understand. Panasonic must have realized that there was a problem and stopped production.
We just need to follow up on these issues with Panasonic. I believe they need to make restitution.

Unregistered guest
Purchased a PT60-LC13 back in June 2004. Bulb went out (actually shattered) today, 12/28/2005. I wasn't able to check the hours on it but I estimate no more than 2000 hrs. Like many of you....i'm pissed, disappointed, etc. Called Pany and ordered a new bulb....total cost including tax and shipping was $339.79. They told me that the new bulb will come with a 16 month warranty....so at least I'm covered until then. Anybody feel free to contact me at scm1974@bellsouth.net.

Anonymous

Bought a PT50LC13 on Dec 28, 2003. The first lamp burned down in April, 2005 (life 16 months) and paid $330 for a replacement lamp in May 2005 through their website. Did not bother to call their support since the lamp warranty was only for 90 days written in the user manual. On Dec 24, a few days ago, the TV was not working again, the power green light blinks for a few minutes and blinks red. Then the lamp indicator blinks red but with pauses about 4 sec each. I checked the lamp and it seemed fine. Called the Customer Service. Waited about one hour to get to talk a rep. He suggested to call the service center to check. Since out of warranty, now it may cost me $250 for labor + $205 for ballast + $65 for home visit fee + tax (total about $550) to fix it. Now I am debating to trash it (exactly two years since the purchase, about $2,000 wasted each year) and buy a new TV instead to deal the lamp and ballast problems once a year or twice a year. Any suggestions?

Useful hints for the positions of the lamp and ballast (DO NOT check them yourself during your warranty period, this may void your warranty)
1. The lamp is at the front part. You can open the cover below the screen and there is another small cover on the left side. You will see a label there. Unscrew it. Open the cover, you have to unscrew another one to the right side of the lamp. Then the lamp can just pulled out easily. If the lamp is bad, you can tell it by looking at it. Scattered or burned black.
2. The ballast is at the back of the TV. You unscrew and open the cover. There is a small box in the middle. You can open it but you cannot tell whether it is good or not visually. A tech may tell you that. Just in case you may want to know the positions as I was curious and spent quite sometime to figure it out.

jjunkman
Unregistered guest
I purchased a panasonic PT-60LCX64 in August from Costco. I now have the same indications on my TV. Blinking red light and no picture. Servie guy coming out today. Bulb was supposed to last a year ( warrentied for a year.) ONLY 4 MONTHS, THOUGH ? Maybe I'll take it back to COSTCO and exchange for a different model.

jjunkman
Unregistered guest
I just talked to the service guy. He replaced the lamp. He says this Panasonic TV is no worse than any other model as far as lamp use goes. He said he is even considering buying one.
I do not like paying $300 for lamps either, but I guess that's what I have to do to enjoy big screen LCD TV. Hopefully this one will last closer to a year!

gusovi
Unregistered guest
Today I got a new headache with the PT-60LC13 piece of junk with another bulb lamp burned. Bought the TV on 06/24/05. Lamp died after 11 months and a half. Got a new free lamp under the warranty and it lasted for 4 months. Then got a new second free lamp and it lasted for 4 months and a half until today. So I will have to waste my time talking to PANA customer service to try to get a 3rd lamp replacement. To be honest, I'm very dissapointed with these $3000 junk. If there's a lawsuit against PANA, contact me at gusovi1@yahoo.com

Second bulb died after I changed it on 08/15/05. The life of the 1st was 11 and a half months. The life of the second was 4 months and a half.

gusovi
Unregistered guest
Today I got a new headache with the PT-60LC13 piece of junk with another bulb lamp burned. Bought the TV on 06/24/05. Lamp died after 11 months and a half. Got a new free lamp under the warranty and it lasted for 4 months. Then got a new second free lamp and it lasted for 4 months and a half until today. So I will have to waste my time talking to PANA customer service to try to get a 3rd lamp replacement. To be honest, I'm very dissapointed with these $3000 junk. If there's a lawsuit against PANA, contact me at gusovi1@yahoo.com

James Murphy
Unregistered guest
Had my PT-60LC14 for just over a year and the bulb blew the other night while we had company - while we were watching a movie...Ugh.

Called Pana RIGHT at 9:00 a.m. (When they open) and got caught in automated phone hell...But pushed the 0 key on my phone about 8 times in a row and got a HUMAN immediately!

My experience was very good, actually. They need me to fax a copy of my receipt and they'll ship out a replacement at no cost...This bulb will be warranteed for 1 year as well.

The only catch is that I already ordered an E-Bay bulb for $300 before doing a google search, finding this VERY helpful website and calling Pana!!!

Note: When this TV works -- it ROCKS! Sorry you all think it's junk -- and for the lamp issues I guess it is - but the picture quality is superb!

Steve Savino
Unregistered guest
I too am having the lamp woes. I purchased my PT50-LC13 in May 2004 from Circuit City and now am happy I also purchased the extended coverage for 4 yours but it cost me over $400.00. In July 2004 I needed my first bulb, which I waited for a technician for 4 days. He gave me some story that the original bulbs were installed incorrectly - yea right. Well, I blew my second bulb on Decemeber 30 2005, called Circuit City and am having them send me the bulb directly, which they said would take 2 to 4 business days. I questioned whether they would send it overnight but I was expected to pay $18.00 with no guarentee it would be delivered before 1-1-06, so I said no way. Well today is day 4 and I'm still waiting. I tried calling panasonic to air my dissatisfaction but the wait time to speak with a rep is only 70 minutes (like I have nothing else to do). So I searched the web and found this forum. I figued I would just vent alittle in case a panasonic rep ever ventures to this site. One thing I did find on the web is url http://www.petitiononline.com/panbulb/petition.html, which is a place to sign a petition electronically. I didn't see any reference to this online petition in this forum, so I figured I'd mention it. I happened to be signature #1851 and the number grows by the minute. Maybe if all of you nice people sign it, something will be done, I believe there is strength in numbers..
Good luck to all.

Steve Savino
Unregistered guest
I too am having the lamp woes. I purchased my PT50-LC13 in May 2004 from Circuit City and now am happy I also purchased the extended coverage for 4 yours but it cost me over $400.00. In July 2004 I needed my first bulb, which I waited for a technician for 4 days. He gave me some story that the original bulbs were installed incorrectly - yea right. Well, I blew my second bulb on Decemeber 30 2005, called Circuit City and am having them send me the bulb directly, which they said would take 2 to 4 business days. I questioned whether they would send it overnight but I was expected to pay $18.00 with no guarentee it would be delivered before 1-1-06, so I said no way. Well today is day 4 and I'm still waiting. I tried calling panasonic to air my dissatisfaction but the wait time to speak with a rep is only 70 minutes (like I have nothing else to do). So I searched the web and found this forum. I figued I would just vent alittle in case a panasonic rep ever ventures to this site. One thing I did find on the web is url http://www.petitiononline.com/panbulb/petition.html, which is a place to sign a petition electronically. I didn't see any reference to this online petition in this forum, so I figured I'd mention it. I happened to be signature #1851 and the number grows by the minute. Maybe if all of you nice people sign it, something will be done, I believe there is strength in numbers..
Good luck to all.

Ren
Unregistered guest
I bought the TV in Sept. '03 and the bulb died 2 days ago. After searching online for a new bulb I found some for about $360 CAD shipped, (panasonic distributor here wanted $505CAD. Before I ordered though I decided to go to the Panasonic head office in Mississauga to see if I could speak to someone about this since my tv is well beyond the 12/18 month warranty. They ended up just giving me a free bulb after about 5 min. of talking with the nice lady at reception. I've always liked panasonic (we have a lot of panny equipment here), and now I like them even more. And the stats on my previous bulb:
Hours: 4308
On/off: 1602
Also, I looked at the design of the cooling inside the tv and have decided to add a second small fan to keep the bulb cooler while operating, basically just splice into the original fans power so the second one turns on and off with the original.

Sam613
Unregistered guest
I found this thread useful, so I thought I'd do my part and add my experience...

I bought a PT50-LC14 in Oct. 2004 mail order from Abe of Maines in New York (I live in Chicago), and I passed on the extended warranty. The first lamp died (shattered inside the bulb) in January, less than 4 months later. I called the nearest local authorized Panny service shop and they came out and replaced it. The repair guy just needed a copy of the receipt, and they billed Panny directly. Last week the 2nd lamp died, shattered again, 11 months later. After reading posts in here about having a 12 or 18 month warranty on the (new) bulb I was relieved and called the service place back. They said "nope" about the warranty despite my insisting that there was a warranty on the part. So I called Panny, waited on hold for 40min, and finally talked to a rep. She took my info, credit card, etc. They sent me a new one (got it today) and as long as I send back the old one in 30 days, there is no charge. The rep didn't mention if the warranty was 12 or 18 months, just that I was covered.

The set gets used probably 2-6 hours a day, turned on/off once or twice a day. I mistakingly assumed I'd be able to see the usage stats in the process of reseting the timer, but I now know that pressing volume down and the split(pip)/play button for 5 seconds just resets it. Rats. I wish I had read the post above that describes how to do it. I probably had between 1200-1800 hours on the 2nd bulb would be my guess.

This whole thing is troubling. I'm now basically hoping the damn thing just fails every 11 or 17 months (are we all sure about the 18 months on the bulbs??) so I can get it replaced free!

Username: Lampburned

My panasonic LCD rear projection TV 50LC13 lamp TY-LA1000 burned today! Thanks this site. I figured out how to take out the lamp by reading posts on this site. The lamp burned brown and inside there are glass fragments. Bought my TV from CC in March 04, not watched much. Estimate only about 1500 hours. I wish I had checked this site when I did research before buying a big screen TV. I think 10,000 hrs is really a lie!!! I decided to bite bullet not to buy any EW at that time so I guess now I have to pay for a lamp myself.

Hi Nightline,

Any luck dealing with panasonic? I bought my TV on 3/6/2004, close to the date you bought yours. I have not contacted panasonic yet. I will appreciate any suggestions/tips/information on getting the TV back alive.

Thanks!

Post Number: 4
Hi Sean, the tech just left my place about 10 min ago, and he gave me a write-up to send in with my letter to Panasonic.

I am currently writing a letter and faxing it 757-382-4478 with my case #. I originally spoke to a Charles at x. 5004 and he was very helpful.

I am going to do my best to get Panasonic to replace the ballast, as the tech says that is what needst to be replaced. I will post back after I get something back from Panasonic.

Thanks for your response, Nightline. So I guess you purchased the new lamp from panasonic and they don't want to cover it. I will call the cust service number and keep you posted. Good luck to all of us!

Post Number: 4
Just called panasonic at 1-888-viewptv (843-9788), the number they put on the TV manual. After punching 3 or 5 zeros, I bypassed that automated voice and got to a message saying they are open from 9am Mon-Fri and 10am Sat & Sun. It does not say when they are closed! I live in Chicago, it was about 9:50pm Central time. I'll call again tomorrow.

zoltan
Unregistered guest
Man am I glad I read through your posts! You guys saved me a lot of grief, and with my blood pressure problems, I'm not sure I could have handled the Panasonic lamp nightmare. I'm shopping for an LCD TV, and it's starting to look like I'm going with the Sharp Aquos line. . . the only LCD I've seen so far in my research that comes with a 60,000 hour lifespan; basically 5 years. I figure the way technology gets cheaper, in 5 years or so I should be able to find the bulb at the 99 Cents Store! :-)

Unregistered guest
I bought my PT-50LC13 from a "friend". I had no idea there were so many problems with these things. I guess sometimes you have to learn things the hard way. Anyway, my bulb just went out and I'm going to have to buy a new one. My friend had the tv for about 18 months and didn't buy the EW. At this point I'm clueless. I found one for about $289 online. Does anyone know of any that are cheaper? Also, is it easy to install the bulb? I know some of the previous posts say "thanks" for telling them how to install. Unfortunately, I can't find one of those posts where it actually says how. Maybe I'm just overlooking it. One last question - how long are these new bulbs guaranteed? Someone PLEASE HELP!?

G W
Unregistered guest
Guys,

Having been an videophile for years now I just have this to say: LCD's, & DLP's bulbs are considered consumable's. Nowaday's they're just like ink for printers. Consider that one ink tank is roughly 20-35% of the printer cost and the fact that it is a cash cow for the businesses that produce them. Now the TV marktet has the same situation. Consumable costs that will continue until the TV is replaced years (and several bulbs) down the road. Bulbs are only 10-15% the cost of the TV's. As far the earlier comments on warranties based on the cost of the item..yea right. Anyone who believes that dosen't understand the basic principles of capitalism very well. Charge what the market can bear. Basic supply and demand. If consumers buy at one price with current warranty why would the vendor increase the warranty?? No way no how. That would drive their operating cost up and profits down. Not going to happen. As far as I can tell when a retailer (I got mine from BBY) offers you a service plan on an item like a DLP or LCD and their plan covers the bulb (yes BBY's plan does cover the bulb for 4 years)you had better take advantage of it. You WILL go through at least 1 bulb in that time frame.

Matt.. Chicago
Unregistered guest
Insider information:
I worked @ a panasonic warehouse in Elgin, IL in the summer of 05. When I was there I worked with the "techs" in updating televisions that were recalled from circuit city, and other major stores. These techs were straight from Mexico, where the telivision are made. I don't know about you, but things made in Mexico normally don't seem to hold over very well.

However,since then I believe panasonic has done a very good job in correcting their problems, with there other rear projection telivisions. As far as getting a hard time from their customer service in getting them to fix the tv or ship a free bulb.... you people need to learn how to get your waya little better. I have owned multiple new tech products like the PS2 that have a life span that is shorter than most people account for. But unlike most people I have not had to pay for shipping or replacement parts. You just need to learn to get your way!

Bronze Member
Username: Jaskim

Post Number: 31
Matt in Chicago

Out of curiosity how do you go about "getting your way??"

jaskim

Bronze Member
Username: Cyco

Post Number: 38
Ok, so we all know Panny's service sucks and that they have extended the warranty to 18 months. (those who don't know this, you should get all your monies back if any repair, lamp has been done within 18 months of purchase). I personally think this is a band-aid.

We are all frustrated with this tv. The point we need to start making is... what are we going to do about it?

I started the petition (I can't even remember when now) and I get constant emails stating "anything going on with the lawsuit?" But I don't see anyone else contacting lawfirms, attorney generals, consumer affairs etc.? I've been contacted by 3 lawfirms none of which have gotten back to me, so I'm assuming they arent' interested. I just contacted a firm that is local for me and I'm going to see what they say. Other then that, nothing will ever get done unless you people do some research or contacting or write some letters!

out for now.

Don Carreon
Unregistered guest
I bought my PT50LC13 last 01/04/04. Bulb blew out today half way through a RENTED MOVIE!!!! lol

We have used this TV everyday for long periods of time. After reading through these forum, I knew my time was coming up soon.

I just have a question regarding the BULB warranty, 18 months thru PANY ONLY or does it even matter if it was purchased elsewhere?

Don Carreon
Unregistered guest
Oops, pls disregard last paragraph...

Username: Bad_idea

I've been reading your forum since it all started. I to own the PT-50lc-13 and have had mutiple problems. My Tv was purchased in March 04, I"m on my third bulb. Panasonic has alwys taken care of the bulb replacement in a prompt mannor. My lastest problem is a red dot that looks like a laser pointer on the screen has appeared, upon investigation of the red dot I am told that the light engine is goin out "the heart of the tv". Upon complaining to pany multiple times about this peice of JUNK they have agreed to repair my tv at there cost.
"GUYS WHATEVERYOU DO DONT GIVE UP AND DONT GIVE IN" WE AS CONSUMERS MUST MAKE THESE COMPANYS THAT WANT THERE PRODUCTS MAID ELSE WHERE BESIDES THE GOOD OL USA "PAY THE PRICE"! IF THEY WANT TO SAVE MONEY BY HAVING CHONG LEE AND HIS BOYS MAKE THERE PRODUCTS FOR NEXT TO NOTHIN, THEN THE MONEY THEY ARE SAVING WITH CHEAP LABOR I BELEIVE MAKES THEM RESPONCIBLE TO FOOT THE REPAIR BILL ON THE JUNK THEY ARE PRODUCING.

Post Number: 5
An update to my situation. TV is still sitting witn no work done on it. Panasonic DID send me a check for the $70 that I paid to have a tech come out and "look" at the tv and tell me what I already knew.

I am sending them another fax tomorrow morning asking them what they are going to do next. In my opinion, since they refunded the service tech fee, they are admitting fault.

Username: Dominican

Bought a new PT-43LC14/PT from LSIDistributors on eBay as my Christmas present to myself. Drove from Va to NJ to pick it up and on the way back stopped by Circuit City and got a stand. It looks great in my family room and I couldn't be happier with the picture. Voila'...the lamp blew up (I heard it) last night. Less than 90 days and I have to fork over $300. The wife is about to kill me.

tomcat66
Unregistered guest
i have had the tv 18months now pt43lc14 and it on its 4 th bulb its under warrenty 1 year on bulb so i leave the damn thing on all the time every 6 month they put in a new one

Anonymous

There is no more r&d on projection crt televisions. Most of the manufacturers have quit making the rear projection crt as of now. RCA and Magnavox were still making them a few weeks ago but I think it is the end of their run also. I have talked to more than one television repair person that I know and they all said rear projection crt is at the end of its run and parts will be scarce to find two years from now. As far as a bulb for a DLP if you buy one and have it on hand there will be no down time. I would never take my car out without a spare tire and the same goes for a bulb. My uncle has had a DLp for four years and replaced two bulbs in that time. When the bulb is replaced the television has a picture that is like new. You cannot do that with a crt. Go to Walmart and take a look at the RCA DLP they sell. It is on 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The one at my local Walmart has been going like that for 7 months. Add those hours up. Now a crt tv with one picture tube is goping to be the most reliable set you can buy but are limited in screen size. On this site people post that are having problems and it seems like a big number but how many people do not have problems.

Username: Wilburg

CC Protection offered to replace my 50lc13 with a brand new pt-52lc65 because of three lamp failures and unable to obtain the ballast.

does anyone have info on the Pt-52lc65? I have a spare lamp ty-la1000, will it work in the new tv?

Username: Bknio

My lamp just expired today....great day, let me tell you....thanks Panasonic. Just another way for them to milk money from us!

I did find a replacement fairly cheap (compared to other sites) at this site: (it also had a PDF to assist me with the install...not like it is brain-science, though)

http://www.mcminone.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=MCMProducts&product%5Fid=P%2D TY%2DLA1000&CMP=forum1

Of course I had to get my lamp shipped next day air.....because who can live without their big screen!

p.s. Thanks again, Panasonic!

Post Number: 6
Well, finally some closure on my issue. Panasonic agreed to repair the set at their cost, and it was picked up today by a local repair shop. I should have it back in a few days. The repair man suggested that to save lamp life to only turn off the set if it will be off for an hour or more. So if I run to the store, and I am back in 10 min, just leave the set on. We will see how it goes.

Bronze Member
Username: Cyco

Post Number: 39
Now my Panny DVD player just went to hell. H05 error. That TV /dvd/home theater system was the last Panny product I'll ever own. <---- see that, that is a PERIOD!

Nothing will happen unless a big shot law firm (greedy for the cash) will help us. Panny knew aboutt the problems with the 13 series and redesigned the 14 series that obviousily have less problems. Sucks to be us, the peeps that gotta go out and grab the newest best thing only to be the guinea pigs to these companies.

Oh... and stay away from ANYTHING GE!!!!!! Talk about junk.

Username: Suicide_squid

Milwaukee, WI United States

Did we win? I just received a letter regarding the settlement in a class action lawsuit regarding these TV's. Did anyone else receive this? I'm surprised no one is talking about this. Is this thread still alive?

Check it out:
http://www.tvlampsettlement.com

I think we won!!! Of course most of you are probably fed up with Panasonic and don't want another panny TV, but this settlement is way more then I ever expected. At the very least we get a free four year warranty.

I'll ride out my current bulb until next year and then check out Panny's new DLP offerings. Hopefully the lamp technology is a bit more stable now. I assume once we receive the new DLP set, we'll get the 1-year warranty related with that. This essentially gives us a 5 year warranty on the TV's we payed for in 2003. Plus a fresh TV to boot. I'm happy. DLP's were more expensive when I purchased my 50LC13 so I passed on them.

Anyone know who Matt Aragachi is? He filed the suit.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us