Dolby Digital versus THX Listening modes on Onkyo TX-SR705

Silver Member
Username: Cclashh

Post Number: 266
Anyone know what is better for a listening mode; THX, THX EX, Select 2, or Dolby Digital EX on an Onkyo TX-SR705? Are the THX or Select 2 listening modes still true 7.1 like Dolby Digital EX? What is the difference?

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 261
The question back to you is, listening to what?

http://www.virtualmags.com.au/Sofa/technology/thx_ex.htm

THX Surround EX has an extra matrixed rear-center channel in addition to the standard 5.1-channel home theater system.

http://www.audioholics.com/education/audio-formats-technology/thx-select-and-thx -ultra2-certification-general-questions
THX Select is a more affordable version of THX Certification. It is designed to play at reference levels in rooms of approximately 2,000 cubic feet,. THX Ultra2 is a 7.1-speaker extension of the original Ultra spec. Ultra2 is designed to work well with multi-channel music and movie presentations playing up to reference levels in rooms of 3,000 cubic feet or larger. Each certification requires components to produce high volume levels, to play at a low level of distortion, and to disperse sound in specific ways, as well as to have extremely low noise and behave in a stable and predictable way.

Silver Member

Post Number: 267
HI Jim, nice to hear from you.

I listen to just about everything. TV Shows, TV movies, DVD, Blu-Ray, Music on cd or the music channels on comcast cable. Motorola cable box, Panasonic Blu-ray player that streams high def audio.

Question: Which is better Dolby or THX, and Select 2?

Thanks for the thorough explanation :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 263
Normally I would say something to the effect of, what sounds better to you???

My understanding is that THX is an extension (and works in collaboration with) Dolby and that Select 2 is one of the latest versions of THX used for a specific listening environment.

Select 2 is designed for rooms with a screen 10 to 12 feet from the seated veiwing position. the THX Ultra series is designed for larger rooms.

Does that help any?

Silver Member

Post Number: 268
I guess I was asking in terms of which is a better technology? They both sound good. I am ony 6 feet from the viewing position. Does that matter?

Silver Member

Post Number: 264
I would suspect that it might to some degree but not to such a degree as to make you want to turn it off. Does that make sense?

What did you do Jeff? Go out and get some speakers?!?!?

Silver Member

Post Number: 269
Not yet just wanted to know what you thought..

I was just trying to determine if the THX listening modes were like dolby or if they are a matrixed listening mode like Pro Logic II?

Silver Member

Post Number: 274
Geez, Jim I didn't think the question was that stupid :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 273
Not at all Jeff I was thinking you were dialing in some new speakers!

There are no stupid question (especially since I learned something in a lame atempt to answer)!!!

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 503
Jeff in reading this thread it sounds like you think THX is a sound field like dolby digital or pro logic it is not. When you engage THX it works with dolby digital to role off the high signals to make a smoother sound at home. The movies sound tracks are produced to sound good in a large commecial theater not a home, THX is there to help tame the highs for better sound in a home set up.

Silver Member

Post Number: 276
Thanks Casey. I realize that this is a matter of preference BUT the comparison that I am trying to make is to compare THX Surround EX to Dolby Digital EX in the same manner that one would compare Dolby Digital EX (true) to say Dolby Pro-Logic. What I am asking is whether the THX Surround EX is a similar technology to Dolby Digital EX in the sense that it is a true 5.1 surround sound with the rear channel extension or is it similar to Dolby Pro-Logic IIx in the sense that it is not true 5.1 with the rear channel extension but is attempting to convert the sound into 5.1 with the rear channel extension?

If it is the same as Dolby Digital EX (true) will THX Surround EX use the Dolby Digital EX source content to produce the THX Surround EX effect or does there have to be source content designed specifically for THX Surround EX?

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2287
­
Myth: "THX DVDs have THX sound on them which requires THX equipment to play."

Reality: A THX DVD is one which has been mastered under their supervision to the industries highest standards. There is no proprietary format or content.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_13_1/feature-article-thx-1-2006-part-1.htm l

Re-Eq, or ReEqualization. Ironically this is the best known, and the single most misunderstood element of a THX processor. Remember we said that Tom Holman found sound tracks sounded different in the home-style rooms? One of the reasons was that they were coming across as too bright, which is a fancy way of saying there is too much treble. Why? The equipment was excellent, high fidelity stuff. The "culprit" if you will, was the room itself. Lacking the extensive acoustical treatments of professional sound and production rooms, high frequency energy is bounced around and sustained. At elevated playback levels (at or close to reference) it gets subjectively worse and you start to squint. Here is the very first example of what THX does to address the realities of the consumer market: THX knew that no one would be talked into turning their family's living room into a sound studio. Instead, Re-Eq simply applies a rational, mild roll-off of the high frequencies. It's that simple.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_13_1/feature-article-thx-1-2006-part-2.htm l

Jeff, when you switch on THX when listening to DD EX, the original signal is intact with regard to the specific content on each channel. So it's still DD EX, but with THX equalization which mostly means a slight roll-off in high frequencies is applied on the theory that most rooms in the home are too bright, thus making the soundtrack too strident.
­

Silver Member

Post Number: 277
Thank you!!! Finally :-) That is exactly the answer I was looking for!!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us