Help!: Onkyo vs. Pioneer

Seems like there are lots of experts on this BBS, so I thought someone could help me.

I am trying to get a home theater system (without DVD player) for around $500-$600. It seems that I've restricted my choice to those two options:
Onkyo HT-650 ($500)
Pioneer VSX-D811S (Crazy Eddie) + Onkyo SKSHT500 speakers ($600 total)
What do you guys think? Obviously, if I decide to go with the Onkyo system, I'll wait a couple of weeks to see how they handle the LFE problem...

Thanks!

Nic

Warder45
I won't be too much help but I was going to go with the Pioneer VSX-D811S and Onkyo SKSHT500 speakers myself because it allows you to upgrade to a rear speaker if you want to. I don't want to spend $500(alot to me) on a system that has no upgrade ability. Now the reason I haven't gotten it yet is because here in march the new Pioneers are supposed to come out.

Check out the pioneer site, The new VSX-D912K has a MSRP of $475 which is the same is the old VSX-D811S. I'm not sure if anyone carrys them yet but it might be worth waiting for.

Anonymous
you can upgrade the speakers on the onkyo ht-s650 if you want.

Thanks Warder45, that seems pretty interesting. I did a quick search, and some online stores advertise that they can ship the D912K in 2-3 business days, though they have no picture on their website... Strange... The advertised price for the D912K is $350, and $250 for the 712K.

Warder45
I called all of my local stores and none knew when they were getting the new models in, so I'd call the online site to make sure they have them, but I get the feeling they mean that once they get them in stock they'll ship in 2-3 days.

From comparing the D811S to the new models it seems closest to the new D812K(looking at power x6), and according the the sites that "have" the new models both the D812K and the D811S are with in $10 of each other. So I'm not sure I see the point in getting the D811S at all, as long as you don't need your system with in a couple weeks or so.

For me it comes down to the receiver. From what I've read the SKSHT500 speakers are the best you can buy in their price bracket. So then it comes down to what you want from a receiver, I chose the pioneer because of my budget, and that I wanted 6.1 sound at some point.

Being new to the HT area myself, I'm not sure if there are any differences between buying the Onkyo HT-650 or buying the parts individually other than you don't have a instruction guide to help set it up excatly. So unless buying a HTB system is better then piecing it together, I'm just waiting for my local ABC wherehouse to get the new pioneers in stock.

bhav2k1
what ever you do DONT BUY FROM CRAZY EDDIE. www.resellerratings.com
i bought something and it came without the warrenty and the whole thing was in japanese

PreHomeTheater
maybe you'd do better with the Saint Pat's day special on http://www.shoponkyo.com

it's basically the HT-S650 with an upgraded reciever for $499. and if you sign up on their site you get $10 off.

I have the pioneer vsx-d912k its the newer version of the d812 the only difference is it has dts neo 6 on it and about 10 more watts per channel and I am using JbL n24 series 2 surrounds with JBL pb12 sub and I love the sound.

Anonymous
I'm a newbie, but if you want 6.1, onkyo sells the HT-S760. I have seen it for $449 at circuit city. However, at this point the CC website has it for $499 free shipping. ( Of course, you still have to pay sales tax of I'm guessing about $30) The package comes with the 6.1 reciever, the six speakers and a powered 150 watt (I think its 150w) sub. From what i have read, thi package gets pretty good reviews.

Meridien
Hi, I plan to pick up the VSX-912K for use in India. Does anyone know if the 912 comes with a switchable power supply that can handle 220V? If not, would you know if using this system with a 220/120 converter will affect performance in any way.

This model is not out in Singapore yet and the US pricing is real attractive anyway.
Thanks!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us