SonicView 8000HD with motorized setup

Bronze Member
Username: Robble

NC

Post Number: 36
The SV8000HD has a 8PSK card in it and an iHub, and both are functioning on 72.7W and 77W using IKS. I want to dedicate the dishes currently connected to the SonicView to the "legit" IRD and use the motor setup for the SonicView.

Is anyone familiar with setting up a Sonicview with a motor?

The current motorized dish does work with a CS5K for true FTA, so the dish setup is correct. I may have misunderstood something in the migration from the old box to the new. "May have" meaning "I certainly screwed it up."

I have a SV8000HD, a SG2100, a Winegard 36" and a Invacom QPH031 connected to a DiSEqC switch (for L/C for FTA satellites). I *think* this should work, but please tell me if I am wrong.

I am setting the LNB type to Single. Is the QPH031 a Universal?

I've been pretty much experimenting with other settings based on how I *think* they should be configured, and also on many posts on many forums from people who have been successful with the SV and a motor.

The best discussion, the one I have been using as a general guide, is at on satguys, but the URL cannot be posted here as it has a banned word in it.

I will cast a voodoo spell in your honor or tell read your palm virtually if you can nudge me in the right direction. Or whatever it costs, just let me know and I'll do it. I'm male, so bear that in mind. And if you still want to ask *that*, just know the answer is no in advance, but have a nice day anyway.

Bronze Member
Username: Doa

Post Number: 80
Here are the specs:

Invacom QPH-031

Invacom Announcing the World's First CP-LP LNBF

Receive Dish Network , DirecTV and FTA Channels with one LNBF!

Cannot be used for Sky Mexico !

Invacom announces Invacom QPH-031another first in LNB development and products, the CP/LP LNBF.

One Invacom QPH-031 LNBF provides simultaneous reception of both linear and circular polarized signals with an incredible 0.3dB noise figure and 55dB gain! The Quad output design allows for twin switched output of the linear signals and twin switched output of the circular signals. Receive both types of satellites with one LNBF. No more hassles of off-setting a 2nd LNBF!

Ideal for motorized dishes. Perfect for fixed dish reception of DirecTV and AMC4.

You will not find a more ideal LNBF for the reception of Dish Network and DirecTV in fringe signal areas. An incredible low noise and high gain LNBF for Dish Network and DirecTV. Compare the .3 dB noise figure and 55dB gain typical specification to a standard circular LNBF with a .7-.9 / 55. LO stability is rated a typical +/- 1MHz! This LNBF will out perform any circular DBs / DSS LNBF on the market!

Designed to integrate seamlessly with Dish Network, DirecTV and MPEG2 DVB-S FTA switches and receivers. The circular DSS LO frequency is standard 11250 and linear FSS LO frequency is 10750.

Why buy a CP/LP LNBF?

One LNBF provides reception of all satellites types in a motorized system.
One LNBF provides simltaneous reception of CP and LP satellites in one orbital position for up to 4 receivers.
One LNBF provides reception to both your DVB-S FTA, Dish Network and DirecTV receivers.
Input Frequency FSS Band (Linear) 11.7 - 12.2 GHz

DSS Band (Circular) 12.2 - 12.7 GHz

Output Frequency FSS 950 -1450 MHz

DSS 950 -1450 MHz

Noise Figure 0.3 dB typical

Gain 60 dB typical

Gain Ripple 26 MHz bandwidth <+/- 0.5 dB

FSS <5 dB typical

DSS <5 dB typical

LO Frequency FSS 10.75 GHz

DSS 11.25 GHz

LO Phase Noise 1 KHz -65 dBc/Hz typical

10 KHz -95 dBc/Hz typical

100 KHz -110 dBc/Hz typical

LO Stability +/- 1 MHz typical

Isolation FSS Cross Polar Isolation >30 dB

DSS Cross Polar Isolation >3 dB

Two Tone 3rd Order Intercept Point >10 dBm

Output Connector 4x female F-type

Impedance 75 Ohm

Return Loss >10dB

Operating Temperature Range -40 to +70 deg. C
Storage Temperature Range -40 to +70 deg. C

Band Polarization

Ports 1 and 3 (FSS Linear)
Vertical 11.5 - 14vdc

Horizontal 15.5 - 19vdc
Ports 2 and 4 (DSS Circular) Right 11.5 - 14vdc

Left 15.5 - 19vdc

Spurious 1000/ 500 MHz <-65dBm

Output Gain Difference (26 MHz bandwidth) <6dB

Mechanical Off-set Design

F/D 0.65

40 mm Feedhorn Throat Mount

Platinum Member
Username: Plymouth

Canada

Post Number: 10921
Robble Balinski

I have this LNB and 2 motorized dishes, you can't get 118.8W with this.

You can use Standard with this LNB, the thing which is very important is the port.

Robble

Is it you that installed this motorized dish?

You must set your location in Motor>Usals menu

You can use this utility to set your receiver:
http://satcalculator.freehostia.com/

Bronze Member

NC

Post Number: 37
Thanks folks. I did install the dish, and as I indicated, it does work fine on my CS5k.It is pointed and my location is configured properly etc.

But I am not able to get any Quality, that is the meat of the problem.

Platinum Member

Canada

Post Number: 10922
You must set your location in Motor>Usals menu

North Latitude: ?????
West Longitude: ?????

If those setting are not enter in Usals Menu, your dish will never be positionned on good satellites.

Bronze Member

NC

Post Number: 38
Correct, and as I have said, that has been done. I used the simple calculator http://stevemorse.org/jcal/latlon.php to do it.

I did the same for the CS5k years ago when I set it up initially, and I remembered to do it for the SonicView. That isn't the problem.

Platinum Member

Canada

Post Number: 10923
Are you able to lock one satellite?

Bronze Member

NC

Post Number: 39
I can scan channels on one or two at random, but I haven't seen reception yet. I'm just sequentially trying different switch configurations, hoping I'll find something that brings the quality bar up.

I am using only one of the C ports on the LNB, perhaps that could be related to the problem? I have one coax running directly from the C(ircular) port on the QPH to the LNB In on the Sonicview, and I am using Single as LNB Type. I am using 11250 LO since that is where I should be for Circular (I think). There are no switches, so I should not have to tinker with the switch settings, but there is nothing else for me to do.

I get Locked now and then when I am searching in Channel Scan, but it rarely results in a channel. Right this moment, I am getting Locked on a scan of 61.5W, but ultimately it'll almost certainly find no channels.

Platinum Member

Canada

Post Number: 10924
Robble

The best receiver that I have to run the motor is my Viewsat Ultra, Captiveworks and Nfusion doesn't have a very good power supply.

Note your settings and do a factory default and try again because if your receiver is blind you will never make that it work fine.

Bronze Member

NC

Post Number: 40
Thanks Plymouth,

I've had decent luck with the CS5k for real FTA, I just can't get the SV to work. I swap the two out, configure the SV and I get nada, just an occasional lucky foreign station.

Silver Member
Username: Chumley

Post Number: 581
just an occasional lucky foreign station.
from what satellite do you get that lucky channel from?

are you using usals , diseqc 1.2...?

-------------------------------------
I would set the motorr at zero use diseqc 1.2 and move the dish till you get quality on the sat you are looking for.

--------------------------------------

you could always leave the cs5k connected and connect the sv8k to the loop out of the cs ...and let the cs move the dish and then scan that sat with the sv--- (not the best way but it will work)

Silver Member
Username: Jay_w_grayson

Prague, Oklahoma USA

Post Number: 654
Dish Network VIP 222k Robble Balinski 77
SonicView 8000HD with motorized setup Robble Balinski 10 + 77 as of now=87 posts

Robble Balinski after 87 posts and you
still want to know how to setup a Motorized
Dish, don't you think it's time for you to do little
bit of reading or check with some other websits?
LK used to say read,read and he was bash for
telling newbies to read.

You are welcome to post here all you want
after all this is a Public Forum, but you will still come up with the same answer. Give credit to the members here that are trying to help you,
but as you can see after 87 posts they really don't know they are only guessing.

Best of Luck

Platinum Member

Canada

Post Number: 10927
Ftass

LK doesn't have a Motorized dish, so your C/P, you can keep it for you.

Platinum Member
Username: Nydas

Post Number: 16084
Guide to Putting Your SG2100 On the Correct Arc using USALS..

C & P Credit to MswPower for this little guide.

This guide is for use with a SG2100 Motor.
Reading some of these threads can be quite tedious. The posters should
write like they are talking to a baby. So here it is.

Required Information
Your Longitude (This will determine your heightest Satellite which would be the one closest to your longitude)
Your Latitude
Your Motor Angle (This is determined by your latitude. Check manual for the angle that corresponds to your latitude)

Installation Process

Turn on your receiver.

Press Menu (Select Installation-->Antena Setup)

Select the satellite that is closest to your longitude (e.g. 74 SBS6)

Press Ok (Select Positioner Settings, change it to USALS then press ok)

Input you latitude in the field called (My Latidude)

Input you longitude in the field called (My longitude)

Now input you longitude in the field called (Sat Position)

Go to ***** and press Ok. (If your motor is near by you can test it by changing Sat Position to any number then press select Move and press ok. USALS will automatically calculate the distance between the satellites. Notice if you leave Sat Position at your longitude and press move, it will not. This is because your longitude is your starting point.). Now back to work..

Set the angle on your motor that is specific to your location. (e.g. for location New York, the motor angle would be 50 degrees because the manual says to set it to 50 because of the latitude. You can determine your latitude by using a sat calculator such as http://www.dishpointer.com/)

Mount your dish perfectly aligned to the center of the motor pole. To do this, remove the dish from the anchor. Place the anchor on the motor pole and line up the center of the anchor with the line in the center of the motor pole then tighten the bolts. Re-attach the dish to the anchor but not too tight.

Mount the satellite dish pole absolutely vertical, using a level.

Mount the motor on the pole (do not tighten too tight because you will have to move the entire contraption from left to right.)

Go back to your receiver and set Sat position to the location of the next closest satellite that your LNB can view, e.g. 82 Nimiq2 which is Ku band. Look at Lyngsat for information on Sats.

Go back to you motor and elevate your dish to the angle the sat calculator specified.(This would be the elevation angle, Give or take 10 degrees. you should also see another angle called Azimuth. If you have a compass, t will give you a general idea of where to point your dish. either left or right)

At this point you should have some type of dialogue with someone watching the level and quality located at the bottom of the screen.

Find a starting point to begin the sat search process.

Now slightly move the motor to the right, elevate then decline the dish in that 10 degree buffer. Repeat until you find you get a good level and quality.

Check to see if you are pointing at the right satellite by scanning that satellite. To do this ,assuming you are still at the screen you enter you latitude and longitude, go to ***** and press Ok. when it is finished saving press exit one time. Under Positioner Settings you should see a field called Satellite or something. The word All should be selected. Press Ok and the sat scan will begin. Press exit when you have determined you are or aren't looking at the right satellite. If you don't see a channel that is listed for that satellite then you are pointing at the wrong one. Repeat Step 17 until you find the correct one.

Now that you have found the correct satellite, tighten the motor and the dish bolts. If you tighten the motor bolts too tight the it will squeeze the pole and bend it out of shape and that will result in a screwed-up arc.

Assuming you are still at the screen that has your satellite selected, press exit and save. Now go to another satellite. Enter the appropriate Sat Position if it is not already there and select move and press ok. (At this point if that satellite uses your LNB's band you will have some type of quality. You can fine tune the quality by adding or subtracting a number from the decimal place in Sat Position. If you can't fine tune by that then go to the motor and slightly move it to the left or right. Please loosen the bolts first

Now if the scan messed up your channel list just reload the unit with the channel list.

Enjoy FTA.

Silver Member
Username: Sump

East coast USA

Post Number: 237
I think the point is being missed here ( not that that in of itself is odd here )

1)the 722K post was about totally different issue, i enjoyed it, it was challenging.
2) this post is ..
a) has motor setup and running for more than 1 yr .. works fine, so dish, wire, is verified, pointing angle is fine,
b) issue is using that setup with SV unit ..

Silver Member

East coast USA

Post Number: 238
so with that being said ...

robble ..that is where you want to go for your problem.

and if blankstareNJ says it take it to the bank

http://nfusionforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=124

Bronze Member

NC

Post Number: 41
Thanks sump, I've got everything working *except* for SV on the motor. The SV works fine on stationary dishes, and the motorized setup works fine on a CS.

The two-bit twits like FTA TESTER can hurry up and die, they receive their only thrill in life posting on forums like this and pretending their vague authority makes them men. The remainder of us will have fun testing and reading, as we've done for years.

I am sure I am overlooking some minor detail somewhere that is causing my problem, and since many dozens of humans, some idiots like FTA TESTER and some adults like the rest of us will read this thread, I think odds are that like the other thread, someone will say something that illuminates the answer.

Thanks to the interested hobbiests replying in this thread, I'm still tinkering, but I'll let you know what happens.

Platinum Member

Canada

Post Number: 10930
Robble

If it work on your CS, it will work on the SV.

You don't have to reaimed your dish, but you have to put the Latitude and Longitude in your SV.

Have you tried a factory default?

Bronze Member

NC

Post Number: 42
Thanks Plymouth. Yes, I've been using the Factory Settings options between just about every one of my little experiments. This has been somewhat annoying having to re-input my location, etc so often, but it is the only way that I can know for sure that I'm starting from a clean slate.

I have also been applying the factory firmware from USB every now and then, just in case it would have become corrupted. In addition, I have been occasionally using a "Scrub" .bin file for SV8000HD I found on a forum somewhere. It applies a blank channel list (or something).

I seem to get about 50 signal and if I use the blue button to "Go to Sat Position" in the USALS menu and tweak with manual EAST/WEST buttons, it will sometimes vary a little.

I am going to spend some time tinkering with it later today. For the moment, I'm busy making a channel list for the SV using the stationary dishes. It's actually pretty impressive, even some of the adult channels are working with IKS.

I appreciate all of the advice and time people are tossing at me. If anyone wants any help setting up IKS through Tor, feel free to make a thread about it. I've got the iHub on wireless. There are two (secure) WiFi networks in my house, one "standard" and one routed through a Linux box that re-routes traffic through the Tor network for anonymity. For IKS, it's the only way to fly. :")

(I should add that I am aware of the latency Tor suffers from and this is not related to the issues I am having with SV; IKS should not effect scanning channels) (P.P.S. is it "effect" or "affect"? It's Saturday, and I'm not paid to think today...)

Bronze Member

NC

Post Number: 43
"you could always leave the cs5k connected and connect the sv8k to the loop out of the cs ...and let the cs move the dish and then scan that sat with the sv--- (not the best way but it will work)"

Chumley Thanks, this is actually a great idea. I wouldn't really want to leave it set up that way for obvious reasons of convenience, but it should teach me something about the problem. I am not entirely sure just *what* it will teach me, but that's the nature of these things sometimes, we go in blind and somehow come out knowing. :-)

Thanks for the excellent advice, I will give that a try just to see what happens.

Bronze Member

NC

Post Number: 44
Okay this is probably a dumb question, but which tuner should we have selected in the External Module option when we scan?

I ask because with 8PSK installed, it won't let us Blind Scan for some (probably perfectly reasonable) reason.

Silver Member
Username: Jay_w_grayson

Prague, Oklahoma USA

Post Number: 656
Robble Balinski
The two-bit twits like FTA TESTER can hurry up and die.

What did I say in my post above that is not true? Did I bash you? You don't know me that well focking asswhole to talk to me like that. You stupid faq the only way you get that working is to hire somebody.

Here is what you ask on Post number 97

Okay this is probably a dumb question,
Upload

Silver Member

East coast USA

Post Number: 241
FTA TESTER,

Okay this is probably a Dumb question,
but why are you even here , let alone even posting ?

they receive their only thrill in life posting on forums like this and pretending their vague authority makes them men. The remainder of us will have fun testing and reading, as we've done for years.

Bronze Member

NC

Post Number: 45
Sump thanks. I did attack him first, but he was the scapegoat I burned in public effigy to ward off future trolls. Think of it as my way of hanging spent bullet casings around my camp. He was just trying his childlike best to retaliate. Best is for me to just ignore him in the future and continue the friendly conversation you and I and the rest were having.

(BTW where did you get that picture, LOL!)

I am not quite ready to believe his bleak prediction about my future success, I'm quite sure this will work. It probably IS something dumb that I am doing wrong, but I've repeated the exercise enough to have caught most of the typical bone-head mistakes, not entering location, wrong L/O frequency on the LNB make/model, etc. Maybe I'm dyslexic and don't know it, and I'm accidentally throwing the salt over my right shoulder, and its warding off the GOOD spirits...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us