USB/Serial adapter

Bronze Member
Username: Gsmax

Post Number: 12
Has anyone else hooked up the Radio Shack usb/serial adapter? I hooked this up to my null cable per FTA Tester's instruction, finally got it to accept. Followed scabs advice and made sure the gtrom loader was set on the right com, but hooked up my pansat 2700 to download the last bin and it was slow as molasses. I finally cancelled the download and hooked in to my old computer to download. Is anyone else's downloading as slow as mine using the Radio Shack adapter? I thought since everyone is waiting for the new bin, we could waste a little time here and do some troubleshooting,

Gold Member
Username: Ke5aqn

IF I DONT KNOW THE ANSWER, I WILL FIND...

Post Number: 1640
What is your OS on the laptop?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Oh, I'm using Windows Vista.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1642
I found this page to help another user a few day's ago it may help you.

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=155296

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Tester. It was me that you helped. Like I said, I followed your instruction and it worked. Now I'm just curious if anyone has done the same and found that it is really, really slow working when you try to download the bins. If I let it go, it probably would have taken at least a half hour to download.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1643
Wow I wonder why the transfer rate was so slow. That does make you wonder...I have not heard anyone else say it was transferring that slow.....google some and you may find an answer I would bet something wrong with your adapter..or its still that wonderful vista troubling you

Stuff like that is why when I recently bought a new acer laptop I brought in into the shop and wiped it's HardDrive clean and put XP Pro on it..

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
I actually thought about doing the same thing, but word has it that soon all other systems are going to be obsolete. I guess I'll have to wait until Vista upgrades it's systems to accept some of the older hardware out there. I guess it's just too new right now. Thanks Tester, for all your help.

Silver Member
Username: Charjam

Post Number: 258
Yes i also have Vista and it is really slow so lets live with it

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Thanks Dave, I thought I was the only one that had this problem. I guess I set it up right. I'll have to be more patient.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1652
Vista has a "service pack" coming out soon that may help some... I would just wipe it and go back to XP. Even Microsoft is recommending that to some users now..

I would not worry about XP being "obsolete" for a LONG long time...I can still get a win98 machine work Great and 98 is "obsolete"

Upload
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us