FTA vs Plastic?

Bronze Member
Username: Leonard15

Post Number: 40
Hi guys can anyone tell me why plastic lasts longer than the fta as I have a Dishnet 301 receiver with a card and I got it programmed in April and didn't have to get it done again until October, wheras my viewsat I have to manually program every week. I always thought when the fta's got hit, the plastic got hit as well.

Bronze Member
Username: Fahq

Post Number: 42
Plastik uses blockers

Bronze Member
Username: Boboshan

Somewhere, Out There

Post Number: 39
Anybody know which sites are the best sources for info on how to get up and running on plastic? I'd like to give it a try as an option.

Silver Member
Username: Chrisduclo

Post Number: 103
dsscommunity is a great place to start...
they have section commited to all dish card rom versions

Silver Member
Username: Saqeeb9000

Post Number: 318
question for leonard if u already have plastic they why the heck u need to use viewset extreme...

Gold Member
Username: Ke5aqn

IF I DONT KNOW THE ANSWER, I WILL FIND...

Post Number: 1116
The short answer is they work differently than FTA and DN can send code to them to make them useless FTA is safe from that...

That is gamble even more than the FTA game. You said in your post you had it programed thats the biggest deal with them it is complex to get those to work as appose to simply putting in a small bin file in a FTA receiver. You have to have all the knowledge and special hardware, extra cards, and TIME to learn to properly get the cards to work..or pay someone to do it for you or if your lucky have a buddy...

On the other hand now lets compare FTA receiver to a dish receiver for a min..

FTA receives all 7 DN SAT"S, 2 BEV SAT'S, 13 or so FTA sat's....FTA receiver can use a motor..A example is mine here I have 2700 channels now..

DN Receiver can only get programing on the DN sat's it is pointed at NO Motor....No BEV, NO FTA

To me its no comparison so I still advise not to go with the card modded DN receivers..

Silver Member
Username: Space_invader

Andromeda M31

Post Number: 282
They look more to PTA, not true FTA... It's easy to forget... Sometimes, gambling is not legal...

Gold Member
Username: Donnie1973

Post Number: 2008
right, plastic is more stable, fairly cheap, but harder to do. BUT, it is a way to test. Its more involved than the dtv days for sure, but still very easy.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
I use my plastic mostly, but on Sunday I like to plug in the Viewsat b/c it gets me more local channels than my plastic so I can watch more NFL games. Aside from that I use plastic on all the other days. Also I do pay someone to program my card whenever it goes down but lately it's been working great.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2011
I thought there was a way to change which locals u get? I know it works now...

Gold Member
Username: Ke5aqn

IF I DONT KNOW THE ANSWER, I WILL FIND...

Post Number: 1131
Locals are mostly spotbeamed meaning they send the signal for the ones in your area to you....you will get the ones for about a 500 mile circle around you except the ones on regular transponders that we all get.....hope that helps

Gold Member

Post Number: 2013
yeah, i know, but with plastic i thought u had to specify which ones u get, any or all. not real sure

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
I am not sure why I get more locals with fta as opposed to plastic as I don't program my plastic since I send it to someone. I guess I'll ask him if he knows if there is a way for the card to get the same locals as my viewsat b/c all I do is unplug my receiver and plug the other one in and thus no movement of the dish is necessary.

Bronze Member
Username: Sliderip

Post Number: 19
with plastic there is a danger of targeted ECM, you can get tagged for ECM if you have toooo many locals, it can also overload your card, sort of.
you are better of making tiers smartly i.e. dont have him add anything u rarely watch.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2024
yeah, I know u program tiers... i will learn about this this weekend
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us