Any thoughts on new Vizio P42 HD?

Unregistered guest
Anyone have any experience with this TV? Great price for a 42" HD Plasma and with just a 1min viewing at Costco this weekend it seemed to have a pretty good picture. Also does anyone know if this is another manufacturers last years set that just has been relabled with the Vizio tag? I am thinking about getting this set for a bedroom. I know their original 46" plasma was not that well received, but reading the manual off their site it seems they have fixed a lot of the criticisms. Sometimes you get what you pay for ... but sometimes there are good deals. Any thoughts appreciated.

Unregistered guest
Hey what do ya know... I have thoughts on it. I bought it yesterday and watched it last night. I have it connected just to a p-scan DVD player for now. It can look very good on bright or normal lit movie scenes if you tone the colors down and the brightness as well. On much darker scenes you get a lot of false contouring and noise. You can also get false contouring with sunsets and such. So 80-90% of the time it has a very nice picture, but 10+% will drive you nuts.... and some movies that would be much more obviously. I am going to take it back.

Phil Steele
Unregistered guest
I purchased it on Monday for $1999.99 at Costco and I love it. Using cable, it looks wonderful, and hooked to a progressive scan DVD player - even better.

I agree that it looks very good on bright or normal lit movie scenes and TV shows if you tone the colors down and the brightness as well.

My main gripe is that the picture-in-picture only works in the Hi-def and Green-Blue-Red modes and not with AV1, AV2.

Unregistered guest
Thats funny I purchased mine from Costco too. I agree it looks pretty fantastic esp when connected via the DVI cable. But after fiddling with it for hours I realized that the false contouring and noise were not something that could be tweaked away. Anyways I took mine back last night and bought the Pioneer HD ($1000 more.... is it worth $1000 more???). I absolutely love the picture on it. None of the odd false contouring and no noise. So for that last little bit it gets expensive. I perhaps could have been happy with the Vizio if it were going into a game room, used mainly for sports broadcasts or something of that nature perhaps. Or if I were more frugal with my money ;-0

Jim S
Unregistered guest
I purchased one from Costco 3 days ago and love it. I am using Dishnetwork satellite and the picture and color were perfect right out of the box. As with any TV I have owned, the better the source, the better the picture. Some programming is very good and some has poorer color and definition. I am sure there are better plasmas out there, but not at 2000 dollars. If you want the best and sharpest picture, buy a DLP or CRT projection TV. If you want a flat panel TV, this is a great deal. After reading about noise and false contouring, I looked for dark scenes and could not find anything to complain about. Perhaps the quality control is not quite there and I got a good one. If you are not happy with the one you got, maybe you should exchange it and try another.

Jim S
Unregistered guest
Just an addendum to my post. After going to the website for V,Inc, I noticed there are 2 models. There is an HD and an HDe with the e having a higher contrast screen. While my box only said P42 HD, the sticker on the box said P42 HDe and the owners manuel said 5000:1 contrast. Check the box before you load it up, both models may be out there, and the reason that some may not look as good as others in dark scenes. Still, if real blacks are what you want, get a CRT. I am keeping mine even if that PIP thing is really stupid.

John L
Unregistered guest
I bought my P42 from Costco about 2 weeks ago. I had been wanting to buy a Plasma or LCD for over a year now. Even though the LCD's are getting better reviews, I went for the plasma strictly for price and size. After spending almost a year shopping for a plasma, I will say I am quite pleased with the quality of Vizio for the money. I think you would have to spend at least 4000 - 5000 to do any better. I think for $2000 you will not be able to beat it. Make sure you have HDTV. It looks great on HDTV, but not so great on regular TV. It also looks very good on DVD, make sure to use top of the line cables, otherwise you may be disappointed. For 2 grand I'm not complaining.

Todd K
Unregistered guest
I bought mine from Costco as well. Seems like a good buy for that price. Having to push enter for changing the channel is annoying. The PIP is really annoying. I was hoping the problem was user error.
Looks very good with DVD, and fine with my computer input.

Username: Sudheerpb

Fremont, CA United States

Post Number: 1
I got this one from costco, Everything looks so good so far with HD, SD and DVD. Does anyone know whats the TV code. Dish network guy try to make the satelite remote as universal remote but didn't work. I also got BOSE system, even in there system this TV brand name does not exist in there drop down list. Wondering how to make the universal remote work, Right now its very annoying to use all three remotes simultaneously.

Dee Lael
Unregistered guest
I bought at Costco 3 weeks ago, Vizio P 42 HD, it stopped working after only 3 weeks, the manufacturer stated to take back, after 40 min wait on LD call @ my expense. Costco currently out of stock (Costco stated they had one that had been returned), Sam's Club out of stock and have none on reorder( does this mean Sam's plans not to carry?)For those looking to program their remote: V Inc stated remote code is 0080. I had ghost images from start up. I don't know if this TV is a good deal or not.

Unregistered guest
I purchased my Vizio at costco too. Honestly, I didn't shop around much. I liked the price so I got it. After reading the postings, I've become consious of the dark picture. I read that raising the brightness and contrast levels shortens the life of the tv. Anyone have any input? Also, I read that the HDe model has a 60,000 hour life vs 30,000 (avg). You can see this @vinc.com

Carla
Unregistered guest
I bought the 42" Vizio over a year ago from Costco and it has been a GREAT plasma. I would
recommend this set to anyone who cant afford the 6000-10000 sets like me :-)

bixby bollsworth
Unregistered guest
I bought the 20" LCD TV (L20 VIZIO) this weekend at Costco with the $100 rebate. It seems to work fine but I did notice the ports in the back are limited. I have it hooked to my TIVO, DVD/VCR, CABLE BOX and found it pretty good picture quality. I didn't expect the top quality for the price I paid $449 but love its small size and flat screen technology. You do get what you pay for...and remember if you got it Costco you get 2 years warranty right from the get go...so that's good insurance for the item to last. If you watch TV constantly and have the TV on all the time I'd be careful since it may burn out faster, and then you may want to go higher end.

Unregistered guest
I bought this 42P (HD not HDe) back in December at Costco's and after 3 months (I do not write reviews right away) I can honestly say that I am extremely happy with it. I have it hooked up to Comcast / Motorola 5300 Digital Cable Box via DVI cable and my Sony 400 DVD Changer (PSCAN) via the Component Video. The picture is outstanding in Digital, HD, and PS. Regular channels do not do the Vizio justice. My only gripes are the remote control (having to press the button often twice to get it to work) and the limited number of connectors on the back. I bought the TV for 2399 and then got the 400 coupon deducted from my AMEX in January with no hassle for a net of 1999. Sure you can pay more but I find Vizio a bargain at this price and the quality unrivaled until you get into the $5,000 range.

Unregistered guest
I started this thread and I ended up purchasing the 43" Pioneer 4304 monitor instead. Got a later build model to ensure I would not have the power supply problems I have heard about on earlier ones. Anyways it was $3k at Costco and I really like it. It is much better when it comes to graininess in dark scenes and also has virtually no false contouring no matter how bad the picture source (old VCR tapes look ok at least). Excellent very natural color and detail. Only gripes are that it is limited in the tweaking you can do to it. Not that it really needs much but if it did there are just not that many things you can adjust (like individual colors). Anyways I have scene the posts regarding the upgraded 42HDe ... anyone have a direct comparison between these two? Does it handle dark areas and scenes well? Any false contours? If it seems to have fixed those issues I might get one for another room. Also looking at the 50" Samsung DLP with the neat looking integral stand.

Art Davis
Unregistered guest
I assume "false contouring" is the "banding" effect I see with bright light sources against a black background (e.g., the cops' flashlights in the opening of The Matrix; just about any external, underwater scene is The Abyss) ? Like a .GIF compressed with an insufficient color-palette?

If so, can this be tweaked away, or even mostly away? I tried turning the Edge Enhancement setting all the way down, and that seemed to help a little.

I have pScan DVD player connected via component cables, and Like Rick, I find that the unit has a very nice picture MOST of the time (clear, brilliant color, etc.,) but since a great number of my movies take place at night, under water, or in outer space, I'm being driven nuts quite a bit.

Spending another $1,000.00 to upgrade to another make and model is not an option, but "downgrading" to a larger front-projection unit or smaller 16:9 tube could be.

Any thoughts/experience with whether connecting to a 720p upconverting DVD player with DVI-out might fix this? Based on what I know about video (more than many, less than some), this appears to be a processor and/or display technology limitation, not a resolution issue, so I fear the answer is "no", but I'm hoping to be proven wrong.

Thanks!

Unregistered guest
The false contouring is exactly that "banding" effect you are seeing. I had a Samsung p-scan DVD player hooked up via DVI and I was not able to tune this effect out. I had the same results with edge enhancement... it made a little difference but not a lot. I think you have the possibility of this issue with any digital TV. I believe in this case it is a software issue with the Vizio. I have read a number of reviews for plasma TVs and you can have two companies using the same panel but thier own software and chips driving it... and there will be a large difference in picture quality with some of the things that you and I have seen being prominent in one model but not another even though the two use exactly the same panel. For a similar price I would look at some of the Samsung DLP TVs, some traditional CRT based RPTVs as well as the regular 32+ inch CRT models. I would also consider the 42in Panasonic EDTV as it has an excellent reputation and you may even save a couple $s.

Anonymous

Hey! Does anyone have any idea how to tell if I just purchased the P42HD or P42HDe model? The box says it is the P42HD, but the specs on the box and in the booklet state 5000:1 contract ratio. I know the P42HD has 3000:1. The unit was manufactured in January 2005 and states P42HD right on the TV. What did I buy?

Jim S
Unregistered guest
Sounds like an HDe. My box was an HD box, but had an HDe sticker stuck on the end and the manual had the HDe specs. Have had mine since January and think it is great. Would buy again even thought the PIP drives me crazy since you have to set it up again if you change inputs-dumb. Direct access inouts are a plus though.

Unregistered guest
Can anyone tell me who manufactures the VIZIO P42HD?

Art Davis
Unregistered guest
Rick - Thank you. I agree with all of that, and I'm evaluating my options. Panasonic does make GREAT gear. Were you upconverting that DVI signal to 720p? I think it won't matter for the reasons we've discussed, but just checking. I note that the unit has an RS-232C port - I wonder if there might be firmware upgrades at some point?

Daniel B - the VIZIO P42HD is manufactured by V, Inc. http://www.vinc.com

Art Davis
Unregistered guest
Some other recent quirks:

The unit has recently stopped responding to the remote (yes, the batteries are fresh, and the little red light goes on when you push buttons) and the other day I was flipping channels (using the front panel buttons) and all the sudden, everything was in black and white. I had to power-cycle the TV to get color information back. Could have been the cable, but all in all, a confluence of nagging little things.

Username: Olivier1964

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 3
I have the Vizio P42HD since two months now and since the beginning I noticed that the OSD and menu stick to the screen when I switch to another input with no signal (black screen). I can see very well the OSD of the EPG of the DTV receiver and even the menu of the DVDs. I guess this is sticking screen but I wonder if this is normal when the screen is exposed so shortly to a fixed image. I have not seen this effect on other plasma screen I tested. Anybody with the same problem ?

Art Davis
Unregistered guest
Olivier -

Yes, I have experienced the same behaviour. The residual images seem to go away once a new video source is enabled, but it is a little disconcerting - makes me wary of watching a movie on a channel where the station logo is superimposed for the duration.

As an addendum to my last post, the remote control has automagically begun working again.

Krishna_vizio
Unregistered guest
Anybody knows the TV code for Vizio P42HD so that I can program my dish 811 HD receiver? Vinc says its 0080 and that code doesn't work. Actually dish is expecting a 3 digit code. So I tried 080 and that did't work either.

Krishna_Vizio
Unregistered guest
By the way, initially I bought the 43" pioneer plasma monitor at costco and within 2 days the colors started to get pinkish. All yellow colors started to look pink. Returned it and got vizio P42.

Username: Olivier1964

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 4
Art

Thanks for the answer. Very usefull. I use also a Samsung DVD which upscale to 720P. Picture is great but you are right the dark scenes are not so good. New point I cannot program the remote for my Tivo (Philips)or my Samsung DVD. when I press the code the LED does not flashes two times as descibed in the manual and none of the two is responding to the Vizio RC.

Maggie's Farm
Unregistered guest
Lots of comments going on here.....

First off- Regarding remote codes, try the ones for Hitachi. My hitachi remote will function most of the Vizio's features.

Second- Displays are made by only a couple of companies, I know this for a fact as I have supplied manufacturing equipment to this industry for 7 years. Electronics vary slightly. Most issues that people are describing as being "wrong" would happen with any brand or pricepoint! The process of consistently making a good display is next to impossible under current manufacturing. 2 tv's of the same brand using identical equipment will look different! It's a real "hit-or-miss" game in the plasma arena. If you are not happy, exchange it for another one! This is the main reason why Plasma'a are still so expensive! There are ton's of rejected units returned to their manufacturers! Doesn't matter if it's Vizio or Hitachi! My inlaws were just refunded on a $10k Hitachi for failure. This is commonplace.

Third- Vizio's P42HD is a spectacular unit if you get a good one. You may exchange a few, but when one's good.....it's damn good. The remote is cheap (this is one of the areas they skimped on to reduce cost)most likely because most people are using cable boxes, Dish, DVD, high-end hometheater systems, etc. My Denon receiver has an awesome remote that controls everything! Why should I care about the TV's remote?!?! Buy a good aftermarket "learning" remote to control all of your things.

Summary-

great TV, great price. Don't be a sucker for big-name brands. They all purchase components from a handful of sources.......

The Big D

Darlene
Unregistered guest
I've just purchased this monitor, like many of you at Costco. I'm reserving my final analysis, as I've just set it up. My thanks to all for your feedback.

I've one question. Does anyone know if there are separate speaker stands available?

I've this on a wall unit and the available space is cannot accommodate the screen with speakers attached at the sides.

Unregistered guest
Who else uses the 43in screen/panel that Pioneer produces? Do proprietary algorithms and ASICs make any difference when dealing with 3:2 pull down or 3:3 pull down, dithering etc...? They absolutely do! I think Maggie's Farm has over simplified the case here. Yes there is a lot of sharing of the actual panels and other non proprietary hardware components/chips. There are also a few rebranded last years models such as the Champion/Panasonic collaboration (I believe that is what this arrangement is). However almost all large Plasma competitors have specific ASICs, software, and panels to help them capture market share with the "best" picture. DLP is even better at highlighting what differences the other electronics make in a picture. In this case all the manufactures are getting the same chips from TI but there are some very widely varying pictures out there.

Unregistered guest
Does anyone know the remote code for using the Vizio 42HD with Adelphia cable remote? The cable converter box is a Motorola DCT 6200/1000. I'd like to use the cable remote I just got when I added HD from Adelphia. They clain they don't have a code for Vizio.
Thanks,
Tim

Unregistered guest
I think I saw that answered on AVS forum somewhere. Also a new review on the Vizio 42HDe model is on the Sound and Vision site. Basically the exact same opinion I posted above.

Dunny
Unregistered guest
It sounds to me like Rick Key may have a desire to see us Costco buyers moving to non-P42HDs - Costco staff at most stores have told me that the Vizio is view as a very high quality unit - now Target is selling this same unit. But all said, there are reasons why the Pioneer is worth the extra $1,000 on costo.com or 2,999 - still I have the vizio and am very happy - I also have a very large Pioneer that has been solid for years, but its in the ex-wifes house now....

Unregistered guest
Costco is selling the Vizio 50" HD Plasma Monitor in Aug. 05 for $2,599.99 - is this unit worth the money? And where do I take it if I have problems with it?
Is a plasma monitor the same as a regular T.V.? Can I use set it up and use my cable or do I have to have a regular t.v. to go with it?
My email address is czeezo@hotmail.com (Thanks for the help, Larry)

Unregistered guest
Maggie's Farm you are the bomb!! I was searching the web for Vizio's tv code and you adviced using Hitachi. Thank you so much, now I can control my tv with the DirecTV remote!! Now if I can only get the input part to work..., but anyway, thanks. I looked at my box and looks like I have the P42HD vs. the P42HDe. I might go looking at my local Costco for the e unit soon. Thanks everyone here for all the info. BTW I bought mine like 4wks ago and love it! I did notice the "burn in" when changing inputs, it does seem temporary but makes me worry. Anyway, great unit for the price!!!!

Unregistered guest
ditto on Larry Campbell's question. The 50" plasma for $2599 which includes the stand! Anyone see the 50" yet?

Unregistered guest
I bought the visio p42 this weekend at costco and I love it. I have only had it for like 2 weeks but I cant complain. The only thing is that i want to get the 42HDe Because I think it is better. Oh well I think I will stick to this one for now. But This is not the Last TIME COSTO WILL SEE ME>......

Unregistered guest
My sister is using our cabin at Tahoe, where we recently installed a Vizio 42 Plasma. She just called as they are having a problem. She went to bed last night, turned off the TV using the remote, it was too dark, so she wanted to turn the TV back on until she turned a light on. The remote didn't work, so she tried to turn it on manually. That didn't work, so she hit the button next to it, thinking she pushed the wrong one (she actually hit the input button). Then I think they got some 4" wide stripes of red ,black and white, and couldn't turn it off without unplugging it. Now, they briefly get a TV picture but it switches back to stripes. They can't figure it out from the manual. She was holding a "photo phone" which has some kind of blinking light on it, when she was fiddling with the TV. I've hardly used the thing & I'm not there - I'm in Napa, 4 hours away. I had the input set to "YB something," and used a Monster Cable to connect it; it is also is hooked to some kind of DVD VCR combo, I don't remember what kind - I know it is not GO Video. Also, I can't find the website for help. They are worried, because they need to leave our cabin today and no help line open on Sundays. I'd sure appreciate any advice!!! THANKS!

jforan
Unregistered guest
Also bought 42" Visio HD plasma at Costco. Re the remote codes, the 0080 didn't work for me. I tried all the Hitachi ones... they didn't work either.
The top of my tv picture is purplish. Base on reading above posting, I should return it for another. My cable company is Time Warner San Diego.

Username: Hummerwagon96

I also have been waiting for the 50" Vizio HDTV. I took the Coupon book into my local Costco yesterday and they looked it up on the computer. They are not going to be getting it in stock at all. Has anyone checked their local store for this model?

Perrey Z.
Unregistered guest
I was just there and my local Costco have it set on some wood pallets but not connected. Damn the price is tempting.

Another affordable 50-"incher" they carry is the Akai PD5006H which is now $2,698.98. the cons: {not many pros.} DVI is not HDCP., no screen orbiting or White wash features., the stand is a very cheap piece of hollow aluminum, the TV looks flimsy., the picture looks wash out compare to the Pioneer PDP-5040HD that was next to it.

Post Number: 2
They actually had the Vizio 50" what state are you in? How much was it there?

Perrey Z.
Unregistered guest
Yes, they actually had it., as i said, it was not hooked-up, only set on the pallets. There was no stock or price/description tag. only the floor sample. I meant The coupon price is tempting, not the to-be warehouse price.

I'm not longer purchasing 2nd tier brands manufacture by lesser or unknown factories, have had too many deceptions and headaches with them even previous Vizio's {P42HD}.

Randy_AZ
Unregistered guest
I love this 50" from Vizio; excellent picture quality. This unit has a great(highest) contrast on the market so far i've seen 10000:1, and love this unit so far for the past 2 weeks. I got it on-line at http://www.unytek.com got a great deal on this tv, and for a 50" HDTV this is great...I'm a happy customer.

What type of inputs do you have hooked up to this TV? Are you running a HD Feeds? How did you mount it or are you using the stand? I called my local Costco today and they are getting them in the week of the coupon. At $2599 I think the TV is a steal. I would love to hear any more additional info on the TV.

Username: Bill_s

We also bought the Vizio 42" plasma at Costco. The first one had one side of the audio out, the seoncd one total lost it's picture. Is anyone else having problems?

Dave Clarke
Unregistered guest
Does anyone know the web address for Vizio?

Post Number: 5
http://www.vinc.com/

Perrey Z.
Unregistered guest
http://www.vizioce.com/

Unregistered guest
Hi - How do I get one of those Costco cupons for the Vizio 50"
Anyone know if it has a DVID input?
I DDMI just as good?
Anyone trien the Vizio Bravo DVD?\
Thanks
Craig

Timmie77
Unregistered guest
I hear the Costco introduction deal on the 50" Plasma is just for couple of days, and it's on their mailing. I found the web address on here for unytek, and thats a california compnay offered us a good deal on the 42hde...I hope so!!! nice tv anyway..great colors and picture....Tim

Silver Member
Username: 1st61

Post Number: 112
The Vizio 50" coupon is available only to Executive members of costco. I regret I did not buy the Maxent 42" last week ($1699 after $300 off). But for the Vizio 50 I hate its height. The speakers are at bottom and you will see it too high after you put if on stand and sit on coach. The frame is black and the speaker is gray. I doubt most people will like its appearance.

Jason 559
Unregistered guest
I have an extra coupon for the 50" if somebody wants to pick it up from me, if they are in my area I guess... Fresno/Clovis, CA.
email me at: pridesites (@) hotmail.com

Unregistered guest
I just bought a used Vizio P42HDe and I like it a lot. Except that when I play Widescreen movies, I get the black bars on the top and bottom?? When I watch full-screen movies it fits the screen perfectly! (most likely by stretching). I thought I would experience the opposite. I tried messing with the zoom and wide buttons on the remote but that didn't totally solve the problem. I'm using old-school RCA cable hook-ups. Has anyone else had this problem??

Unregistered guest
Hey guys, I'm really late to the dance but I just purchased this unit 2 weeks ago. I have only 1 complaint with the unit and that is the excessive "grain" in the picture... especially on dark scenes. Its almost unbearable.

I have been searching online for days for an answer but I cant really seem to find any. One person told me to have a professional ISF callibration and have the edge enhancement turned off. At this point, I am willing to do whatever is necessary.

If I could somehow get rid of this "grain" and washout, I'd be so very happy. I read this entire thread and someone mentioned that the grain I'm seeing could a software issue in the TV? And that If maybe I exchanged it for a replacement I may get one without the grain? Did I understand that correctly?

On HDTV sources through the Component Video inputs, the picture is very good on lighted scenes. On darker scenes the grain becomes more evident. But on 480p DVDs... through the same input, the picture is outright disgusting due to the grain. Ive checked DVI as well.... same thing.

Please if there is anyone currently using this Unit (P42HDe) and has any information for me... I'd greatly appreciate it.

GotoConsulting.com
Unregistered guest
WHY is everyone buying this TV for $2,000 when i've been selling them on ebay for $1,399????
Search for item # 5821065830

Unregistered guest
For those of you having problem programing the remote that came with your Vizio LCD or Plasma TV you may not have the correct codes. Add a 2 to the codes for VCR or DVD players. Example if the code were 0749 change it to 20749. Also add an extra 0 to any codes for your cable or sat box. Audio equipment needs an extra 3.

So this may make it possible for some of you to finally use your remote. Advised Vizio to update their website with the proper codes.

johnnybobo
Unregistered guest
PCMall has the Vizio P42 HDE 42in HD Plasma 1024x768, DVI, with Speaker, stands and tuner refurbished for $1299 after rebate, $199 shipping

Texas_JB
Unregistered guest
I just bought a P42HD from Costco. The sticker on the back says manufactured May 2005. Have not unpacked it from the box because my building is in construction phase. This tread began to worry me so I made some calls to Vizio Tech Support. The only difference between the P42HD and the P42HDe models is the screen which is from a new manufacturer and the plastic molding to fit the new screen. Vizio periodically will switch to other componant manufacturers to accomodate demand. All internal componants are the same on both models. The tech said you may see a very small difference in picture quality between the two screens while watching a high def signal with the "e" being better. Otherwise, both units are virtually the same.

Unregistered guest
I have had the vizio 42 plasma for almosta 1 year now and it had its quirks but it was liveable up until my husband was watching the game(Colts) and the screen went black. The sound was fine but no picture. Well the war had just begun. Called Sams about the warranty and they siad the first year any problems were carried under Vizio so aclled them. I had to prepay for shipping $200.00
for them to send me a reconditioned one in 7-10 business days. Well its almost been 30 days and I am still waiting. Called the company several times all of the calls are long distance mind you there is not a 1-800 number which sucks because I was put on hold several times and even disconneceted twice.. If this had happened under my extended arranty with Sams they would have exchanged it quickly. But now Sams has quit selling them > One sales rep told me that they were having to many problems with this tv... MMM wish I had known earlier... Any thoughts???

truthinadvertising
Unregistered guest
GotoConsulting.com:

The TV you are selling on ebay is not the TV most of these good folks are talking about. Yours, the VIZIO P42 ED 42" Plasma TV, lacks the resolution, contrast ratio, and many of the other features of the VIZIO P42 HDe 42" Plasma TV, which is a true HD TV.

Nice try, though. You made me look.

VizioCustomer
Unregistered guest
After much research on a Panasonic 50" model for >$4,000 I bought the Vizio 50" HDM w/ the 10,000:1 contrast ratio for $2,600 at Costco.
It is easily the best purchase I have made this year. I love it and the picture is fantastic.
After seeing mine my father bought one too.

David T
Unregistered guest
The code that works to be able to use my satelite remote to turn my 50" Vizio on and off is 652. It's a Hitachi code

Sharpie
Unregistered guest
I have the new 37" LCD. Great unit. I am also having a remote programming issue. I have Cox Cable and they do not list a code for Vizio products. Anyone have any ideas? Thank you.

Username: Viziouser

I was a happy Vizio 42" HDe user for the past one year until a couple of weeks ago. I subscribed to ComCast basic + digital classic + HD. Using DVI connection, I got pretty good HD channels. About half a month ago, it seemed they changed the digital classic programming a bit. I suddenly got all standard channels from the box, but at the same time, the picture quality was going down! Not only the SD channels, the HD channels are crapy too - much more noise than before! It all happened like one day! I called a cable guy over, but he said there's nothing he could do - the signal was strong as it could be and he said for HD channels you basically either get it or you don't have it, and that picture quality could hardly have anything to do with cable signal transmission.

Has anyone had similar experience? What could be the reasons - I have a low end DVI cable. It was fine but could it go wrong all of sudden (?!). Any input is appreciated!

Unregistered guest
If you need a 3 digit code for your remote, I found that 004 works for my 37" Vizio LCD HDTV.

asgtpagh;p
Unregistered guest
All right, I got a coupon for 1499 at costco, good in March. Must be waiting for the slow boat from China but I find none on Costco.com now nor where there any at the store. Soooo I'm still wondering and seaching for more info.

A Dog
Unregistered guest
Just so you all know there is a new Visio 42" Plasma HDTV coming out on March 20th also available at costco, read the specs on the website, new 10000:1 contrast ratio and built in HD and Cable Tuners. And as the last poster says there is a coupon that makes it 1499 better for less I guess we'll see but I hope so.

Anonymous

Is there a coupon for the 50 " Vizio ? If so, where ? Also, how do I wall-mount this sucker ?
I mean there is no way I will do it. Is there someone out there that will wall-mount plasmas ?

Bronze Member
Username: Onlookerdelay

Rock Hill, SC USA

Post Number: 12
I'm not sure I can handle the clash of the silver speaker panel juxtaposed against the black screen frame, but I may give this one a look. Are we not going to see it in stores anywhere prior to the 20th? Heck, if I can overlook the silver bezel, and the PQ stacks up, this one will be hard to ignore at Costco's March Madness price ($1,499.95!). If it's up to snuff, I'll take out a membership to joing Costco to purchase it.

I'm not hard to please... I was impressed by the $1,299.95 Sylvania EDTV plasma at Circuit City this weekend.... LOL! :-)

Bronze Member

Rock Hill, SC USA

Post Number: 13
Vizio just issued a press release detailing the Costco March Madness specials on both the P42HDTV and the P50HDM. I'm hearing that some Costcos already have the P42HDTV in stock, albeit at the regular price of $1,795.95. Here's a link to the press release:

http://vinc.com/site/news/VIZIO_MARCH_MEDNESS_PRICING_ANNOUNCED.html

Bronze Member

Rock Hill, SC USA

Post Number: 14
It was just confirmed yesterday that unlike the Vizio P50HDM, the P42HDTV will NOT incorporate Faroudja's Directional Correlation Deinterlacing chip. That could make for some messy looking SD display, unless Vizio has something else up their sleeve.

Bronze Member

Rock Hill, SC USA

Post Number: 15
To continue my monologue... it looks like Vizio has opted to use a deinterlacer from MediaTek (MTK). MediaTek has deinterlacing chips in a number of DVD players, but I'm not aware of any application in an HDTV as of yet. So I guess the jury is out on this one...

Username: Gagetor

I purchased the 42" Vizio at Costco and started having strange problems with it on the 3rd day of use---the color was off and the remote didn't work properly. I took it back and bought the Panasonic, which I'm real happy with.

Username: Triumfboy

Sherman Oaks, CA USA

I see a TON of stuff on remote codes. I am with TimK - who hopefully got his problem fixed since 5/5/05, I am using the Motorola BMC9012 box through my cable company and have tried 0080 and the Hitachi codes to no avail... HELP!

Username: Dimes007

2nd Hitachi TV Code for Comcast 3 in 1 worked for me on my Vizio 42". Thanks.

Username: Mgo

I bought the Vizio hd42" Plasma 3 months ago and it gave me problems. I think it all started after I hooked up a game console in one of the inputs and then all of a sudden the screen would blank out and power down. Since then, it got worse even with watching regular chanels or HD channels. Eventually, my Plasma TV is now dead. No power, no picture, no response. This one is going back to Costco. Anyone had power problems like mine?

Username: Tamcarrillo

My Vizio P42 hdtv was purchased 3 months ago. It was also shutting off by itself. Now it is dead. I called Vizio & they are shipping out a new tv & will take the old one back. I don't have to lug it back to Costco.

Username: Jmoarch

Bayport, NY United States

Had the same problem with the set shutting itself off and eventually wouldn't power on. I returned it to costco for a new one and I'm hoping it doesn't happen again but now that I've looked online for others having similar problems it seems it wasn't an isolated incedent. From what I've read though, Vizio is handling the problem well and shipping replacements.

Username: Tamcarrillo

I just received my new tv & it seems to be working fine. I was very pleased with Vizio's response. The new tv was delivered & set up by the company hired by Vizio. Also, the old tv was packed up & returned to Vizio. A few of the hookups on the back don't seem to be in the same place as the old tv. Possibly a redesign? Hopefully I won't have problems this time around.

Username: Tweems

HAS ANYONE EXPERIENCED THEIR UNIT BECOMING EXTREMELY HOT? AFTER ABOUT 30 MINUTES THE TOP OF THE UNIT STARTS TO HEAT UP. WE JUST PURCHASED THE P42HD THIS WEEKEND AND I AM TRYING TO SEE IF THIS IS A COMMON OCCURANCE OR IS THE UNIT DEFECTIVE.

Username: Udontknowmehomi

dam all I can say is I hope all you people know microcenter sells the hitachi 42" UltraVision Plasma for $1759 right?? its not on the website but they have it in the store!

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 986
I went to look at the Hitachi at MicroCenter, but it was not on display. Found it at Circuit City, but as I watched it I saw it had this green color to everything. I found the remote and adjusted it for about an hour, but I could never get the green tint to completely go away. I was pretty disappointed. Anyone else notice this?

Username: Udontknowmehomi

haha thats kinda funny but Im pretty sure one of the HD component cables in the back wasnt plugged in all the way ive seen that happen sooo many times leaving a green tint. Ive looked at that plasma alot and it has really great color right up there with the panasonic and pioneer! Never saw any green tint on that unit, Id be willing to bet its a loose plug! Plus if you need it theres a cable card slot in the display itself, which could be argued whether or not its a good thing but still its there if you want it. Microcenter does have it too, its new there so maybe all the stores dont have it up but they have it in the back and it is $1759 which is dirt cheap for that display!

Username: Crptclean

Wife is ready to buy Visio 42" Plasma HDTV. 1024 x 768 resolution, 2 HDMI inputs and built in HD tuner @ Costco on BLACK FRIDAY SALE
This is exactly what the ad reads. Reg. price $1,199.00 w/ $200 off @ register Which makes my cost $999.99 OK, I called cosctco and they said they dont have any info on this tv untill the day of sale. And ive read all these post's and am pretty sure its not the one being discussed. Sounds more like the P42ED. Do you people think I will be disapointed with this tv's picture even with the right sources ??

Gold Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 1315
Robert looking at this thing side by side to the Panasonic and Sharp at Costco, the picture looks disappointing to me. However the price difference may be enough to justify it.

Username: Crptclean

Stof, thanks feedback is helpfull. I've just about drove myself crazy researching tv's in the past couple of days, in preparation for black friday sales. I'm sure I'm like the rest of us..want a great price but dont want to end up with a lemon. I also dont want to fall victim to the mad panic of limited supply and lots of shoppers and GRAB ONE FAST! This is not for the weak of heart..and I think Ive developed a twitch anytime I come near a tv these days..Hmmmmm Ill stay calm and keep my 100 pages of notes handy and let my eyes be the judge.

Username: Bozito

Tiger direct has this unit for sale for $799 and they say that it is 10,000 to 1 contrast. Anyone have any idea how that could be?

Username: Jackie586

0056 for a 46" LCD vizio a hitachi code

Username: Jonathanmurray

Jacksonville, NC United States

I believe this is the one TigerDirect is advertising; I'm very tempted, although some of the comments here and on other sites are making me wonder if it's a wise choice. This doesn't seem to be the same one most commonly discussed, though:

http://www.viziotv.com/products/detail.aspx?pid=19

I ordered it, but I just noticed that it is a refurb! Doh! That explains the price. Well, I wonder if I will be disappointed.

Well, it arrived yesterday and I am pleased to say that my concerns were not justified. At first I thought that TigerDirect changed their ad to mention that it was a refurb after I bought mine, but I guess it was just me in too much of a hurry. But then they sent me a tracking number for something that had been shipped a half year ago and could never provide me with a corrected one, no matter how many times I callled them. I really thought that I had been had. But, as I said, it came yesterday and after rolling it up the front steps and into my apartment and hooking it up, it appears to be fine. My buyer's regret for accidentally purching a refurb was replaced with just a tiny bit of buyer's regret for buying such a big set for my smallish place. But the deal was a very good one ($799 for a perfectly good 42 inch plasma TV), so I am basically happy.

Gold Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 1324
That's great, however how is the resolution? Did you get a chance to compare it side by side with some of the higher end models at Costco?

Well, the resolution is as advertised, 1024 x 768, but I think you are asking about the existence of arifacts such as false contouring (banding). I just hooked it up to my new DVD player and connected through the analog (RCA) connector, not the HDMI since I still don't have a HDMI cable. My first movie was Batman Begins and it was spectacular. Deep blacks, spot on color, and if there was any banding I didn't see it. I want to hook up a surround sound system soon, but the TV sound was not at all bad for two channel stereo.

In short I really lucked out. TigerDirect's return policy on this unit is "no returns", another thing I missed when I ordered it. I was sure I was going to be sucking on a very sour and expensive lemon once I hooked it up, but I guess all my clean living paid off! I better stop gloating now or the thing might explode the next time I turn it on! :-)

Post Number: 5
Oh, and no, I never saw it at Costco or anywhere else prior to receiving it yesterday.

Username: Beygel

We purchased Vizio L37 in summer 05, it is not used much. Recently, it cannot be turned on neither with remote or power button. The power light is yellow (stand-by mode) and does not change. There is no picture or sound. Did anyone have these problems? Technical support cannot fix it and the warranty is done. What can we try to do?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us