Archive through January 21, 2007

Username: Stevectsai

Brea, CA

Post Number: 1
I got the mail as well... However, Do you know if DLP TVs are more reliable? Remember those DLP TVs uses the same lamp bulb technology!!!!!!!

Username: Droid

It is the Mills Law Firm that represented our interests by taking on Panasonic. In a few months, the settlement agreement will go before a judge, and barring any objections, will pass in its current form. Assuming that the agreement is accepted and made official, this will be a tremendous victory for the consumers caught up in this horrible situation. The DLP sets do use a lamp. I think it is part# TY-LA2005 (or something like that). Other than the number, I do not know how it differs from the TY-LA1000. Also, it is priced the same as the TY-LA1000 ($300). BUT, presumably it is a better bulb and/or the DLP sets are designed to ensure a longer bulb life. The bottom line is that some of you may qualify for a free brand new Panasonic DLP set - comparable in size to your current set. Or you may opt for the $1000 rebate toward a new Panasonic TV. Read the agreement. Again, a tremendous victory!

Username: Phinna42

I am having the same issues with my set, it uses the same lamp (TY-LA1000) however it is only a 43 inch set model number PT-43LC13...

I know of other owners of this set as well that have had the same issues...

Would it be possible to amend the class action to include this model as well??

Username: Phinna42

Post Number: 2
A quick question for all...

If you are leaving the house for a couple of hours,
is it better to turn your set off
or leave it on

Brea, CA

Post Number: 6
doesn't matter, as long as you don't turn it off and on and off in quick successions.

Username: Gaydarmp

Well, I guess I am one of the lucky ones. I have had my set for 29 months (Jan 2004 until Jun 06) and just got the lamp light. That is how I found this forum. I checked the lamp light indicator using the volume down and remote tv/video button. Statistics are 10038 hours and 2064 LON. The only thing I can credit for this life is the fact that I run the TV through an APC UPS. When purchased, I noticed the warning about cool down. I also have a Panasonic video recorder with a cool down for the hard drive. To support these during power blackouts, I put both on a UPS. I don't know if this worked, but it appears I got the 10,000 life out of the bulb. However, I am still not happy with spending $300 every two and a half years on TV MX.

Username: Sisgitt

I got the mailer about the suit, but I hadn't had any problems, so I tossed it in the trash can. Of course, 1 week later, my bulb blew and it definately did not have very many hours on it. Is there anyway to get back involved in the class action suit? Are there any other courses of action?

The website on the documentation is www.tvlampsettlement.com. One lamp failure won't get you anything. According to the settlement, you need 3 lamp failures before May 2007 with the third failure verified by a Panasonic representative.

Username: Gattabria

I had 4 lamp failures, but since I had a service contract with BB, they replaced the set. since that horrible Panasonic model is no longer made, I got another model from another manufacturer (NOT Panasonic)!!!

Username: Reelpirate

Bought a Panasonic PT50LC13 in Jan 04. Had 3 lamp failures between that date and May 06. Just received a new PT-56DLX75 today. Called Panasonic after the 3rd failure, and they set me up for a replacement. All in all was without a TV for about 5 weeks. Really like the styling of the new set better. Only difficulty was with the service center that delivered the set (CEI- Raleigh, NC). They are very unorganized, and I won't get into details except to say their Operations Manager is the most unprofessional person I have ever dealt with. Hope they have improved lamp life. Does anyone know the differences in the LA2005 and the LA1000? Anyone know why this lamp might last longer?

Brea, CA

Post Number: 7
That's the golden question everyone here is waiting for: will DLP lamp perform better than Rear-projection LCD???

if not, then this replacement is simply nonsense.

Giving that both models use lamps, I don't see a difference with such replacement from Panny. I would love to get LCD or plasma.

Steve Scott:

Thanks for your post. Very interesting too. As you probably are aware, there is a proposed class action settlement agreement with Panny that will go before a court this September for final approval. The agreement involves getting a free DLP replacement if you experienced 3 lamp failures. But are you saying that Panny is honoring the terms of the settlement agreement already - before it has even been officially approved before a magistrate?? Also, when Panny delivered your replacement set, did it also include a new stand or did your existing stand for your PT50LC13 also work for the replacement set? How is the picture and sound on the PT-56DLX75? I also am wondering if the LA2005 will fare better than the LA1000, but I have to assume that the replacement set will not be have the problems of the PT50LC13 because why would Panny want to deal with a new round of complaints/controversy/new lawsuits, etc?

Panasonic appears to be honoring the CAS now. When I called them I was looking for them to send me a new free bulb. They told me that there was a settlement (I was aware of the pending lawsuit), and that I qualified for that. They would not send me a new buld. I had the option to accept the $1K towards a new Panasonic set of my choice or to get this new set.

I personally like this set better. I did not have a stand. I would really doubt the old stand will fit the new set. I had built in cabinets made that fit the PT50LC13. This set fits back in that spot very well. Even though the screen is larger, the width is about 3" less because the speakers are on the bottom. It is taller, but the shelf I had above it is adjustable. Picture is great, and I like some of the features in the programming much better. The big question mark will be the bulb. Only time will tell if they have made improvements. I have no idea what kind of warranty I received with this.

Post Number: 3
Very interesting stuff, Scott. I also read other posts from another thread about other people who already received the PT-56DLX75 from Panny as a free replacement set. Although the CAS has yet to be approved in a court of law, it would seem that Panny is operating on the assumption that the CAS will be approved and they just want to get going with this. I bought the PT50LC13 a couple years ago and, when the current bulb blows, that will make a total of 3 lamp failures. I do own the matching stand, which I think looks very nice. I checked out images of the PT-56DLX75 on the web and the stand looks identical to the one I have. I just don't know if the dimensions differ. Unfortunately, the CAS does not mention anything about getting a new replacement stand along with the replacement set. I wish it was specified in the CAS because the set obviously can't stand on its own. So, I'm wondering if Panny will either offer a free stand when I get my replacement set OR will my existing stand work with the new set? Or will I have to pay out of pocket for a new stand that works with the replacement set? As for the lamp itself, I do not know the difference betweeen the TY-LA2005 and the TY-LA1000 OR if there is any difference at all. But I presume there is because I can't imagine Panny going through all this trouble and great expense knowing that we will once again deal with this same situation of premature lamp failure. They can't possibly be interested in further legal action. Still, I will canvas the web and see whether there are any reports by consumers of premature lamp failure with the TY-LA2005. So far, I have not come across any negative information regarding this replacement set and its bulb.

Post Number: 4
Here is the operating manual for the PT-56DLX75. Unlike the manual for the PT50lc13 in which it stated that the lamp life could last up to 10,000 hours, this one does not seem to put a number on it. It basically says that the lamp life varies and depends on the usage. The fact that they are not more specific as to the number of hours indicates to me that they don't know, are not too confident or it's for legal reasons or a combination of all 3.

http://www.hdtvsolutions.com/pdf/PT56DLX75.pdf

Username: Betsy_hm

I am late to the game. I recieved the class action mail a week before the first of two bulb failures in one week. The ballast is also a problem. After reading every entry on this site, I have decided that I have had enough. My television from CC has been in disrepair for a month. The tech comes from another state, and not often enough or dependably. I have the extended warranty, but big deal. If no one comes what good is it? CC is not responsive, or polite. I want a new t.v. How do I get it? thankyou everyone for all the great info.

They replaced my ballast after the second bulb failure, and it did not make a difference at all in the life of the third bulb. As a matter of fact I got less life from the last bulb than I did from the first two.

I think you have to have 3 failures before they replace your set. All I could suggest is that you call and ask.

Username: Cjones

So does the lawsuit only apply to LC13 models? I have a PT60LC14 and my 3rd bulb has blown in a year and a half. The first bulb lasted a little over a month they replaced it, the 2nd lasted about a week. Replaced it along with the ballast and now the 3rd bulb just blew yesterday.

Username: Cjones

Well, I finally talked to panasonic and theyre going to replace the bulb even thought it had been slightly over a year since the last blow out. He did mention something about the lawsuit but said that it only included the LC13 models.

Username: Pebbles

Had fifth lamp go out on PT50lc13 two weeks ago. It took Panasonic two weeks and four phone calls to decide they will replace with 56" inch PT-56DLX75 DLP yesterday. I tried to get them to offer me money off a new plasma, but they said no. They said I had the option get another replacement lamp and to wait until class action lawsuit is final in late september and then they would give $1000 off a new plasma, or whatever Panasonic television you want.

Username: Elkman1

Tigard, Oregon Usa

I have had the same poblem with the PT-40LC12 that I bought from Costco. I am on my third bulb and 2nd balast in 26 months. Does the settlement include the 40 inch TV's too with the 1500 bulb?

Username: Johne417

Screw you all.

I've had my 50lc13 for 3 good years now, original bulb, almost 7k hrs, no problems. The other day I thought "hey, I may need to look into a replacement bulb at some point" and ended up stumbling on this site and all its knowledge.

Now I'm all worried. And when watching TV, my mind starts to ponder if it's a lot dimmer now than before, and do I need to get a replacement bulb just in case, and I'm pseudo-hoping I get three bulb blowouts real quick for the DLP...

And the site is addictive to boot. Damn you all. :-)

Username: Irishnyc

Garden City Park, NY

great forums, had 4 lamps blown, Pana is sending me a replacement 50lc13 the PT-56DLX75 DLP they says its 2-3 weeks out, did anyone confirm yet if the 50lc13 stand will work with the new tv yet?

Mike

Post Number: 5
It is great that Panasonic is already offering free replacement sets even though the settlement agreement isn't official yet. I was informed that Panasonic is operating on the assumption that the settlement will go through. I would like to hear from anyone who receives their replacement set, which seems to be the PT-56DLX75, whether it included a free stand or if the stand for the PT50LC13 is compatible with the PT-56DLX75.

Brea, CA

Post Number: 8
I guess they won't include a stand, but I definitely will ask them because the stand won't match the new DLP.. so technically they must pay up for a new stand.

Brea, CA

Post Number: 9
So here I am, with 4 lamp failures... the last lamp failure they sent a technician from nearby and got the ballast replaced. I truly don't think it's the ballast....

If the replacement is going to be a DLP technology, Panasonic better make damn sure that this time around the lamp is better than the rear projection type.

One way or the other, I am qualified for the new TV replacement, so I guess I'll wait this out and get it next year, since I had until 2007 to reply according to the recall slip.

Steve:

Unfortunatley, the settlement agreement says nothing about providing a free replacement stand. Therefore, it may be that Panasonic is under no obligation to provide one. As for your ballast, I have heard from other people who had their ballast replaced and it did not make a difference regarding premature lamp failure. Given that you already experienced more than 3 lamp failures, you could contact Panasonic right now and see if they will go ahead and replace your set.

Username: Tinmann8

Tampa, Fla. United State...

Hi, it has been a while coming but maye the headaches with the Panasonic PT-50LC13 that I bought are coming to an end. I experienced my 4th service failure on Monday of this week and called the guys that have done the service the last three times . After 3 lamps and 2 Ballast they tell me I'm entitled to a new set from panasoinc and to call them . I call them the same day , fax my documentation and original reciept , they give me a case number and say they'll get back with me. To me that like saying the checks in the mail. Well today they call and say they are sending me a new set. The PT-56DLX75 , A 56 inch DLP which is not a bad trade off . The most you could have gotten at the end of the case action is $1000 towards the purchased of a new set and the money spent on repairs. The PT-56DLP75's MSRP is $2999.99 but can be bought for between $1799.99 and $2400.00 .
My question is , Does anyone here have any feedback on this new set they are shipping out to replace these faulty ones ? And can I buy an extended service agreement since I know the extended on the PT-50LC13 is probably moote ?

The Lawsuit is a class action brought on behalf of purchasers in the United States one or more 2003 Model Year Panasonic Multimedia Projection Display LC-Series television sets bearing model numbers PT-50LCX63, PT-60LCX63, PT-50LC13 or PT-60LC13 ("TV at Issue").

The Lawsuit is a class action brought on behalf of purchasers in the United States one or more 2003 Model Year Panasonic Multimedia Projection Display LC-Series television sets bearing model numbers PT-50LCX63, PT-60LCX63, PT-50LC13 or PT-60LC13 ("TV at Issue").

Teddy, I have been searching the web and, so far, I have not come across any negative info (including premature lamp failure)on the PT-56DLX75. My guess is that you can probably buy an extended warranty for it somewhere, if you are interested in that. In your recent dealings with Panasonic, did they say whether they were going to provide a stand? If not, you may want to inquire about that and let us know what they say.

Username: Mommyof3

I have the pt-50lc14 model, and just had my first bulb burn out after 16 months. After reading all the posts, I am happy that it lasted that long. I see that the class action suit does not cover my tv, but I am confused about that as the same bulb is used in my model. I'm going to have to buy the overpriced bulb (which looks like it's made pretty cheaply) and am wondering if it's true that Panny upped the warranty on the bulbs to 18 months. I tried to find out on their website but of course, found not a single word on the bulbs warranty. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Its nice that Panasonic is offering a replacement for some of us who have been inconvenienced by the crappy quality of their first generation LCD projection screens. But I found out today, that the replacement they are offering is the currently discontinued model pt-56dlx75. The model Panasonic is currently shipping to stores is PT-56dlx76. There is a huge difference between the two. The PT-56dlx76 has 1080p (1920x1080). The PT-56dlx75 has the older 720p and just 1280 x 720. So, you lose Blue-Ray and HD-DVD superiority with the PT-56dlx75.

Username: Bahoff

Dimondale, MI USA

I am on my 3rd lamp bulb.My second went out Dec 05 (all replaced by Panny).I have received the Class Action letter and am waiting for my third failure. My question is will the 56dlx75 models run out and the 56dlx76 models be used by Panny as replacements? If so, is it an advantage for the bulb to last into 07? My set was a demo and the first bulb went out in 30 days.
Would turning the TV off and on cause the bulb to go? I have tried to get the bulb life info to pop up using the instructions above, but it won't work. I was unable to reset the info upon installing bulb #2 in Dec. of 05.

Username: Vegasfightwriter

I have had my PT-40LC12 since 2003 without any problems. The picture is still good, but I just started receiving the "change lamp and reset timer" message. I decided to check the lamp and it seems fine. Pic is still good quality. However, when I put the lamp back, now I don't have any pic at all, and the lamp light is flashing on the front.

I have some questions if folks can help.

1) Have I done something wrong? Did I put the lamp back wrong? Is there some way to be sure it fits properly, or should it be automatic?

2) Assuming I can put it back OK, and the lamp is still good, is there some way to change the timer so I don't get the annoying message, and so I have time to actually save up to buy a spare lamp?

Thanks.

Pebbles Platura , I noticed that also . And the thing is that both the PT-56dlx75 and Pt-56dlx76 retail for the same price on panasonic's web page . it would have been nice to have the 76 with its 1080p (1920 x 1080 ) but its got to better than what I have now. A set thats been down 4 times and I have no faith in .

Kieran Mulvaney , I'd take it out and plug it in again just to make sure you have it seated right . And if I were any of the members that have experienced problems with any set using the Ty-LA1000 family of lamps , I'd be calling and complaining . Couldn't hurt. I've seen the lamps on Ebay cheaper than what panasonic is selling the for , but you take your chances there too. But if your set is pass warranty then it might be your best bet. I've seen them go for around $150.00 on bids and they have them -buy now for $249.00.

Oh , I forgot to mention that they are supposed to be delivering my new set tomorrow . I'll give you my first impression then . At least that was fast. 7 days ...Lucky 7

Garden City Park, NY

i called an complained about not getting the new stand for the new tv if you complain enough they will sell it to you for 182.00 with no shipping charges, there is a call on my answering machine saying the new tv is ready for delivery

Username: Aquaholic

does the PT-52LCX have the bad bulb syndrome as well as the others listed?

Username: Webman

Selbyville, Delaware USA

I have a Panasonic PT-50LC13, purchased 1/29/04. I,m on bulb number four at this time. Does anyone have the number/contact information at Panasonic, where
I can call and have my TV replaced? Thanks, Rob

Rob, I called 1-800-211-(Pana) 7262.

Also, reluntantly I accepted delivery of the PT-56DLX75. I say "reluntantly" because I have a replacement bulb already and could wait out the settlement in September and see which set Panny will be offering after they run out of these discontinued PT-56DLX75 sets. It would sure be nice to get a 1080p capable set or credit toward one, but currently that is not an option. Anyways, I'll post my opinions of the set soon.

I too recieved my panasonic PT-56DLX75 today and my inital impressions are good. The picture quality suffers when viewed sitting close to the set. A problem that might be fixed by using the HDMI cables instead of the conventional cable hook ups and I haveen't figured out how to which aspest from normal, to full , to zoom without doing it through the cable box . I haven't connected it to my PC yet so I don't know what kind of desktop resolution I can run. It's a 56 inch set so it takes up a lot more room on my stand that the 50 inch. My TV stand is 65 inches long so I didn't have a problem with the TV being too big. The PT-50LC13 gave you more option and more control when tweaking the color and picture in my opinion but its a nice set . One thing for sure when this set goes south I'm going Sony.

As soon as my current lamp blows, which will make my 3rd bulb failure, I will contact Panasonic for my replacement set. While it may be true that the PT-56dlx76 is technologically superior and more desirable over the PT-56dlx75, all Panasonic is obligated to do - per the settlement agreement - is provide a DLP relacement set that is a "comparable" media display to that of the PT-50LC13. To be sure, I would love for Panasonic to replace my set with something more top of the line, but if the PT-56dlx76 is considered an upgrade, we shouldn't really fuss. I am happy we FINALLY got Panasonic to take some real action. I only wish that the settlement agreement included a free stand!!!! Is that unreasonable?

Username: Webman

Selbyville, Delaware USA

pebbles, thanks for that info. While reading all your various comments on this problem we're having,
I don't feel so lost and abandoned anymore. Panasonic has never contacted me. Which brings me to
my next question. Since I purchaseed my TV 1/29/04,
not 2003, am I part of this proposed future settlement?

Andrew. Although I appreciate the replacement set, it would have been nice if Panasonic would have offered a replacement of comparable value and a model year 2006/2007 media display quality. The discontinued 720p DLP model Panasonic is offering can be had for $1500 on internet shopping sites if you can find any stores with sets remaining. I think most of us paid alot more than $1500 for our sets.

Anyways, I received the PT-56DLX75 replacement yesterday and my first impressions are: (1) seems a little brighter than the bulb eater set it replaces (2) regular tv from my cable company still looks as crappy as ever, even more so, because this set is bigger and makes it more obvious (3) looks more like the old style projection sets (4) HD signals look very good. (5)remote seems slightly cheaper, although the onscreen menuing is intuitive

Garden City Park, NY

the new 56dlx75 the default setting is 'vivid' which was way too bright try the cinema setting, so far though not perfect it sits well on the 50lc13 stand the notches line up with the groove behind the bottom mounted speaker holding it steady not sure if i need the new stand now... alot less bezel looks like how lcd computer monitors progressed with less and less bezel...

so far so good... now that they gave me a tv can i still claim the bulb replacement cost since they settlement says i can have both.

Garden City Park, NY

btw I didn't have to sign any settlement or release, just that i accepted the set as an invoice.

Username: Mcgyver

Got CAS letter last month, saved for future. Bought PT50LC13 in Jun 04, never had a problem til yesterday and had a lamp failure. I figure I have about 8500 hrs on it. Fortunately I got the CC EW. Called toll free @ 9PM CDT, they are sending repl. FIrst month I had TV i put it on battery BU.
This looks like a cooling/temperature cycling (on/off/on) issue based on other posts. I'm definitely going to look into adding more heatsink and add a fan. My usage has been 10-14hrs/day, usually continuous. Even tho any given model of consumer electronics has a v short production/marketing cycle before repl by a new model, I expect to get 8-10yrs out of a TV. Even w/free lamps, I wonder how long the supply will last.

Post Number: 9
Michael Curry:

Are you saying that the stand for the PT50LC13 is compatible with the PT-56DLX75? If so, that is good news.

In response to Teddy's post above:

If you go throught the menus you will find this set gives your more capability to tweak the picture than the PT50LC13. The picture is set for vivid out of the box, and it is not very good. After playing around with the settings I think I have a better picture than before. Overall I am happy with the set, but will the bulbs last any longer? Only time will tell.

Username: Ncdeac

I bought the PT-50LC13 in late September of 2003 from Circuit City. First bulb blew in early September of 2004 so it was covered under warranty. Second bulb blew in early October of 2005 so I missed the warranty by a month. We bought the second bulb through the Panasonic website. We received the CAS paperwork but had yet to fill it out. This morning, about 10 months after we received the 2nd bulb we got the on screen message stating the bulb needs to be replaced but it hasn't blown yet. Should I go ahead and call Panasonic now or wait for the bulb to blow completely? The other two times the bulb blew immediately. Thank you so much for any advice that you may be able to offer.

Post Number: 10
Ellen:

My suggestion is that you contact Panasonic as soon as you experience a 3rd lamp failure. The CAS says nothing about on screen messages.

Username: Luke04

Miami, FL USA

I need some advice, I have the PT 50lc13 in the shop for a new lamp light. I bought my TV in November of 03, after a month they had to replace the TV for lamp light and air filter problems. Last month the replace lamp light message came on. They said it is not covered by the extended warranty and will cost $700. Should I try to get a replacement by Panny, should I pay the repair and then try to get reimbursed later?

Thanks for you help.

Ellen,

The lamp warning will come on at 10,000 hours automatically. Maybe you forgot to reset the counter on replacing the second bulb. I would go through the procedure to reset the counter and wait until bulb blows.

Thanks for the advice Michael and Andrew. Last night the bulb blew so it has now become a non issue. I called Panansonic this morning and was told to fax over all my documentation regarding the previous burn outs and the matter would be forwarded to a manager for compensation.

Jayson...if you only need a new lamp, you don't need to have the TV in a repair shop. You can order one from the Panasonic website for about $300 and screw it in yourself. Unless there is somethine else wrong with your set that I have missed I would absolutely not pay $700 for just a replacement lamp! Has your lamp blown or is the light just on? If it is just the red lamp light, refer to Michael's post below yours, it might just be your counter needing to be reset.

Username: Luke04

Miami, FL USA

The light was just on, but the repair shop has my TV, they are the one who diagnosed that it needed a new lamplight. I wish I saw Michael's post earlier. Thanks for your advice Ellen.

Username: Lkg_luver

OK, just replaced my bulb, for the 3rd time since 12/03 purchase. Once under warranty, twice out of my pocket. Have a total of 7690 hours on set. Decided to have Panny replace the set with an equivalent value set under the class action lawsuit. Anyone know what the "equivalent" in panasonic's logic is?

I figure a bag of dog crap with two christmas tree lights (that burn out after 10 hrs) would be about the same!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Charlie, equivalent means a dlp replacement set with a comparable screen size to what you already have. Those with 50" screens are being replaced with 56" screens.

Username: Tim_strueber

Aurora, IL USA

OK, it happened to me. 3rd lamp just blew out on my PT50LC13. The salesman at the video store sure didn't tell me what would happen to this set. Average life of each bulb about 8 months. I guess I'll contact Panny for the new DLP set. The first bulb was replaced under warranty, the second one out of my pocket. I have the receipt for the one I bought, but I can't find the paperwork for the first warranty replacement. Will they have a record of the warranty replacement? Am I out of luck if I can't find the first warranty replacement receipt?
Thanks.

Username: Sithlord

Tim - Call the Panny service center. I was able to get documentation for my first bulb that blew.

Username: Sithlord

Oh yeah I forgot - it took me three calls to different techs to get the documentation. The first two were not helpful or just lazy.

Aurora, IL USA

Sith Lord,

GREAT suggestion. We should all keep in mind to contact the Panny Service Center if we need documents! Thanks for your help.

Username: Osugasman

Anyone have any luck getting a DLP with only one bulb failure?

A question to those who have received the new television...Does the new TV have the split screen/PIP feature like the old set did?

Username: Rnarco

I have a PT-50LCX64 model that I purchased last month as a floor model from Walmart. Well my bulb blew early last week and I was send a replacement by the end of the week. I am reading a lot about the 2003 models but it sounds like the 04 is no better in terms of bulb life, no mention in the product manual either as to how long the bulb should last. Anyone else with any experience on this series TV's, any other known issues I should be wary of? thanks.

Username: Roshambo

Bought my TV from BestBuy in Nov 2003. The lamp blew tonight. I came home from a friends, turned on my TV so I could watch the Scrubs reruns I recorded off Comedy Central. TV warmed up as normal, screen came on and then 15 seconds later POP and the TV went dark. Pulled out the lamp and it was indeed popped with little pieces of glass scattered behind the window. Luckily I bought the 4yr warranty from BestBuy for $249 and the lamp *is* covered although it's probably going to take over a week to get replacement lamp. I never got the 10000 hour warning so I have no idea what I'm up to. Can't imagine I've watched that much TV in 34 months. Will the number be reset when I put in the new lamp, or will I be able to find out what I was at when I turn me TV back on with the new lamp?

Username: Rnarco

There are instructions sent with the lamp that describe how to reset the timer, however from what I have read you can only do that when the warning actually appears on the screen as opposed to the lamp popping. Also 34 months seems to be pretty good for lamp survival, if you assume 8 hours per day that equates to about 3000 hours per year or about 9000 hours for 3 years.

Username: Sully442

I am going on my 3rd lamp. Has anyone tried just changing the lamp inside the panny frame? It looks like a 150watt HID lamp. Should cost $40 or so. I think I am going to give that a try before spending the $300 again.

Jim

Brea, CA

Post Number: 10
I wouldn't do this. You should let the manufacturer deal with this. Even better, get that new DLP TV they offered

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Last month the proposed CAS was granted final approval in a court of law!!!

http://www.tvlampsettlement.com/

Username: Solidux

I justed tried to call Panny to get my TV replaced after the 3rd bulb went out and they told me I had to use the Settlement wbsite since I did not purchase my second bulb from them. Have any of you had that problem?

Username: 65cobratoy

Does anyone know the number on the TY-LA1000 lamp itself? Should look like 100-120W/1.0 P22. If so, I think Osram may have a cross with a better life. Not sure.

Username: Granpadirt

CALIFORNIA

I SENT MY FORM IN WITH 2 LAMP FAILURES, 1 BALST FAILURE & DEAD PIXEL. IS THIS ENOUGH TO QUALIFY FOR A REPLACEMENT & WILL THEY NOTIFY ME??
ANYBODY KNOW

We received our new TV yesterday. First impression to me was the screen is much brighter and the HD channels are even clearer. I like how the speakers are at the bottom rather than on the side. The TV doesn't seem to take up anymore space than the old one because of this. It seems to fit on the old stand just fine. So far so good.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Ellen:

Do you have the matching stand for the PT50LC13 and it's perfectly compatible with the PT-56DLX75?

I do have the stand for the old TV and I wouldn't say it is perfectly compatible (the clamps didn't fit so my husband had to work something else out) but the new TV sits on the stand just fine, it looks great and it seems quite secure on the stand. The gentleman from Panasonic was trying to get me to purchase the stand made for the new TV and I am glad that I decided not to purchase it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Thanks for the information , Ellen. You are the second person I know of that indicated that the existing stand still works with the new set.

Username: Supdawg

Hi Folks.. I'm here as most of you because of my TV being in the shop. It was purchased online in September of 03. It has been lightly used since then. Back in August it crapped out. Called a TV repair dude and he charged me 75$ to examine.

Verdict is that it is the power supply. Unfortunately, that was like 9 weeks ago. Part is still on backorder.

This is very unfortunate, I have had nothing but great customer experiences from Panasonic my whole life. They seemed to have produced a lemon. I hate that my 3000$ TV is just sitting in some repair dude's shop with the rest of the defunct TVs... I miss my big screen terribly. Crappy thing is that in order to keep my DVR box from my cable provider, I sill have to pay full prices for digi cable.

Question:

Many people have alluded to how to check your lamp hours. How do you do this?

Username: Tombranch

I've searched and searched, but can't find the code to check lamp hours for the pt-43lc. I tried the method listed for some other models (down volume & TV/Video button), but it didn't work for me. Can anyone help for this specific model? I just replaced the original lamp after about 18months. Thanks!

Username: Spfly

Need some help guys, I just purchased a Panasonic Lcd Tv Model PT40LC12. I've just had it for a month and the bulb has gone out. I contacted the person I bought it from and they told me they had a similar problem, other than the fact that I feel i got ripped off am I going to be in the loop of getting a $300 bulb for the rest of the tv life? and if so am I required to buy this bulb from panasonics web site? I've read where people by them elsewhere and panny does not honor replacements from other places... I need some help bad....

Thanks in advance

Username: Disgruntled_panasonic_...

Just ordered my settlement form over the phone from the group in Seattle. I went ahead and purchased a bulb with overnight shipping while I wait for the paperwork to work itself out. I will be able to claim the extra bulb while I wait it out. Beware...they will only pay up to $299 for bulbs. Make sure your overnight shipping does not go over. The legal rep on the phone said that it has been taking around 30 days to get the new TV. Does that sound right?

The new TV looks nice, but 56 inches is going to be huge...I thought 50 inches was too big...oh well. I'm not interested in spending anymore money so I guess I'll go with bigger rather than take the $1000 dollars and be forced into buying a $1500+ television.

Username: Disgruntled_panasonic_...

Does anyone know about the warranty/bulb warranty on the new replacement television.

Looks like the replacement bulb (TY-LA2005) is just as expensive, if not more that the TY-LA1000 bulb.

Does anyone think that going to the new 60,000 hour rated plasmas is the better choice for longevity rather than opting for the DLP?

Username: Wally_stiving

HELP..PLEASE HELP..i am so confused with all the different big screens available. my older toshiba rear projector just went out. trying to do some research for a replacement is causing stress. first- has the lamp problem been resolved with toshiba and panasonic? i do want one or the other because pip is important to me. if purchased online, ie ebay, etc can one get the extended warrenty from the manufacturer? i want a 60 inch or larger. how many pixels should be the minimun to consider? should i consider lcd or will there be more problems with the crystals? our usage is about 6hours daily, up to ten on weekends. which company has better service and reps who understand your problem when they occur? toshiba or panasontic?? thanks for the help. wally

Username: Lindor

AM I CRAZY? I just got my replacement TV from Panansonic - the PT56DLK75 for the PT50LC13. Yeah it's bigger but the picture is no where the quality of the PT50LC13. I'm very disappointed. Is anyone else also disappointed? I have messed with the picture settings still I'm not satisfied. Now I'm thinking of getting my old TV back and taking a gamble. Am I crazy?

Aurora, IL USA

There is no such model PT-56DLK75. Do you mean the PT56DLX75? That is the discontinued model that has been shipping as a replacement. Or do you mean the PT-56DLX76, the newer 1080P model with higher resolution? I'm waiting for my replacement set and hope they run out of the discontinued ones and start shipping the current model. Look at the posts above - they say the picture by default is set at "vivid" - you should change it to "cinematic" for better results. BTW, I've had my claim form in since late September and still no word on the replacement set - must be backlogged at this point - hope to see it by Xmas.

Username: Bazm04

Great forum !!! saved me from paying for my second lamp.bought a PT-50LC13 ON AUGUST 2004
my first lamp blew on november 2005, the second one on november 2006, got the second one replaced for free fron panny. now i have my third failure this lamp lasted a week!!!
does panny replace the tv or do i send a claim to law suit administrators??
how do guys like the replacement you have been sent
and more importantly how long did it take you to get it?
Have a great thanksgiving everyone, mine will be without my 2700 TV. No Thanks to Panny....

Aurora, IL USA

Mustapha,

Go to: http://www.tvlampsettlement.com

Then fill out the claim form.

Username: Th_racer

Just called panny on a replacement blub for my pt50lc14 and was told I needed my original recipt to start the claim, I have moved since it was bought and can't find it anywhere. Is there anyway around this or am I stuck whith the problem all on my own now?

Username: Mook

San Diego, CA USA

Hello to all with Panasonic problems.
My Panasonic died its third time I decided to not fix it but to let Panasonic pick it up, inspect and replace.
I sent in my claim form on 10/18/06.
I received a letter telling me that the paperwork was insufficient on 11/10/06
I called them and it took over a week for them to get back to me.
The problem was the semantics of what the service man noted on the paper work.
A week later it was deemed that a "Lamp assembly" was indeed a "bulb" and my paperwork was in order and the claim would be processed.
Well with all OK I continued to wait.
Last week I started to wonder if I would have a TV for the Christmas holidays so I called the Claims adjusters.
With this call I found out that the paperwork was just transferred to Panasonic. So it took them another 10 days or so to "pass it on".
"Panasonic has been very fast at replacing units." I was told
So here is the Question:
Can I get and install a bulb without upsetting my claim?
Will Panasonic reimburse me for the cost of said bulb?

Thanks
Mark

Username: Goodkup27

San francisco, CA United States

Hi i own panasonic PT-50LC13 for 3 year and the lamp it just blew yesterday and I have been read all of this topic and still very con fusing what should I do just buy the new bulb or should I call panasonic for the new replacement bulb please let me know please please thank you for every one who in this forum

Username: Adrock

im going through the same as mark but i have not heard back from the settlement company. i initially called Panasonic and they immediately referred me to the settlement group and said they've gotten no complaints. i got fed up and ordered another bulb in the meantime. hoping for full reimbursement for price of all lamps (3) and replacement set. will keep posted.

Aurora, IL USA

After waiting 3 months, I finally received my replacement TV - Model PT-56DLX75 (NOT the DLX76, like I was hoping for). I, too, called the settlement group several times and was told the paperwork was turned over to Panasonic and that it was out of their hands. Finally, I tracked down the local Panasonic dealer in the Chicago area that was responsbile for delivering my replacement set. Guess What? They had my OLD address and phone number from when I bought the set in 2003. They said they were trying to reach me but the phone was disconnected. The settlement group screwed up the paperwork on the claim form and sent the Panny dealer my old address from the original paperwork. So I lost about a month in this process.
To speed up your claim, first confirm with the settlement group that your claim has been approved and the paperwork has been forwarded it on. Then take it upon yourself to call Panasonic and find out who the local dealer is who is responsible for delivering the set. Then call the local dealer and make sure they have the right information.
Good Luck.

Username: Caltest1

Great Posting...but I need some help.
Our PT-50LCX63 failed to start on Friday, December 22, with the 'lamp' indicator flashed on. We've had the tv over 2 years but still for the amount paid and its reliability I'm upset. I found a replacement Panasonic TY-LA1000 lamp the next day (Sat. 12/23) and installed it. I obtained the same result - the lamp indicator flashing on. I then found this posting and the tvlampsettlement website. I've spoken to Panasonic 4 times and was finally told the extended warranty in the settlement is for the lamp only and that the problem is with the tv which is not covered! Basically, I should submit the repair parts and labor cost and throw myself on the mercy of Panasonic for possible "accomodation"...maybe they'll throw my poor person some coin.
Has anyone been able to receive warranty compensation for problems other then directly on the lamp? I'm an engineer (although not an electronic) and believe the lamp problem is somehow related to both the lamp and its driver circuit. What's the best way to deal with Panasonic? Any comments would help. Thanks.

Username: Bazm04

Bill

i think the ballast on your tv is the culprit.
i had the same problem with my PT-50LC13 after i replaced my lamp for the second time the ballast died within 10 days. i emailed the class counsel and he told me that it counts as a failure and that i qualify for the multiple failure remedy.
i filled a claim about two week ago, and still haven't heard anything from the class administrator i email him today...
it took people months to get their tv replaced.
it's just unfortunate!

Username: Caltest1

Santa Fe Springs, CA

Anonymous

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate your quick response. Any information I can receive to resolve this helps. I've emailed the claims administrator for a clarification on the extended warranty coverage.
I can't tell you how disgusted I am with Panasonic's products and service. I've got a rather expensive TV setting there like a large lump of plastic and on numerous calls to Panasonic have been either greeted by busy signals, dropped completely during transfers, or told (in short) 'figure it out yourself and let us know -- maybe we'll think about helping.
This is likely my last Panasonic purchase -- either personal or through my business.

Username: Lkg_luver

Finally sent my paperwork in to the class action administrator. On my four bulb and a burned out pixel (got a green dot that stays on right in the center of the screen now). Whats the normal wait time for for a response?

Username: Mook

San Diego, CA USA

Well.....
I finally got the replacement TV from Panasonic. (Right before New Year) and I will try to sum up my experiences during this ordeal.

The majority of the time it took to get the replacement was taken up by settlement group.
Once it had been transferred to Panasonic a work order was issued and Panasonic was able to track it. It took a little bit to get a Panasonic support person that could help me and the information he had was limited, the bottom line is they got me the set in about two weeks.
The settlement group is SLOW. They hung up my paperwork because they had to figure out if a lamp assembly was indeed a bulb. That took a month. The adjuster told me that everything was OK and it was going to Panasonic. I called three weeks later and was told it was JUST transferred. It was another two weeks until it showed up in the Panasonic computer. So what do they do throw it in a mail bag and when it's full send it over via snail mail. That's the only way I can explain how it took 5 weeks to go from "Everything is OK" to a work order being issued by Panasonic. Like I said above I got the set two weeks from the date Panasonic logged in the job.
And what did I get....
The Panasonic P-56DLX75
My impression is it's not as good a picture as the one it replaces. But has some better features.
I think it's a little ugly (The big brushed chrome bottom thing.)
But you know what, it works...and if it holds together for a while it will do.
The unit come set to what I think is overdriven, as in to bright to the point that it looses sharpness.
I set it from Vivid to Movie and cranked back some sharpness and I like the picture better. (Your taste might vary)
Things I like better than the old set,
Two digital inputs, HDMI,
Optical sound out,
Direct access to inputs. (Great if you use macros)

I think there is a one year warrantee on the new set.

This problem of bulb failure is not unique to Panasonic Sony for one has had its share of projector bulb problems.
If it wasn't for the class action suite we all would be SOL.

I still like Panasonic and will continue to buy their stuff. This is the first problem I ever had.
All in all I think it was a fair compensation that is if this set runs for a while.

The best of luck
Mark

Username: Frog

I have also had numerous bulbs replaced but have another question if anyone can help. I have had numerous "purple" spots shown up on my screen. I have cleaned the inner lense and this hasn't made any difference. Any help would be great. Thanks!!

Username: Floatn1

Hello all, I just sent my info in to the settlement group. Three burnt out bulbs. Let's see how long it takes, I guess I better stay on top of them. Thanks for all the info. I'll post when I hear something.

Username: Nutmeg

I've had better luck bypassing the settlement administrator and dealing directly with Panasonic and its local authorized repairer. When my PT-50LC13 (purchased in 2003, no bulb issues until last month) began shutting down intermittently and its lamp indicator blinked red, I called the local repairshop, explained it, they talked to Panny, who agreed to cover the total cost of lamp replacement and ballast repair.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us