Is it worth it to buy a FTA equipment

Username: Falkor69

Post Number: 1
Im new on this, and Ive been looking around and reading. Is it worth bying a system, and what kind of combination i should use.Miami area. If i buy somehting out of the box would it work, or do i have to scavenge the net for a month to properly set it up. I just read about NAGRA2, how long for this to go in effect and will it shut down all the recievers.
Is it something that you have to be on top of it every time you turn it on and decide to watch tv???
Please advice, the NEWBIE.

Silver Member
Username: Jojogun

Fairfield, CA United States

Post Number: 190
Keep reading. You'll find all your answers.

Username: Falkor69

Post Number: 2
Please help. The Veiwsat Extreme looks like its very popular. But with what kind of antenna should i buy, the normal one 31 inch, the oval one with two lnbs or somehting else.
im concerned about making an investment,opening,conecting it and nothing happening or even worse with the NAGRA2 in a couple of months everything stops working.
i just need advice.

Bronze Member
Username: Nfl

Post Number: 67
i wouldn't be putting up any dish if i live in florida. those dammmm hurricanes will swooop that dish out to the seas within few weeks. it's not worth investing. if you want to learn how the entire FTA thingy works, try google it, instead of asking people in here. they think they know shiiiits but they don't.

Bronze Member
Username: Pjk

Post Number: 97
If you have prewired cable lines throughout your house, all you need to do is buy a dish w/lnb(s), diseq switch(es), cable lines, splitter at the POE, and a receiver. That will run you approxiamtely under $400 if you do the install yourself. If your house isn't prewired, you need to drill holes through your walls...

Since the HU days, sometimes you can have a card or a bin that lasts several months; sometimes not... Sometimes the bin can go down weekly or even sooner, let alone the keys. You just have to find a good fta site and stay on top of it. It'll seem like a pain in the azz at first, but, you'll get use to it. If you're into PPV sports like UFC, Wrestlemania, Boxing, Pride, or even the movie PPV's, your investment will pay itself off in no time. On the other hand, after having spent close to $400, the whole thing can go down forever in a day, week, month, or whatever. It's a chance you have to take, just like everyone else. If you don't want to deal with the whole thing, that is your option...

Bronze Member
Username: Ke5aqn

Shawnee, OK USA

Post Number: 11
Just my thoughts here as a new person to testing as well.....heres what I did just LAST WEEK....I found a receiver for 120 on ebay, found a dish 500 for free, found another dish ( a 24" ) for free. I had some wire in the house so that helped, I rerouted to sute my needs, pointd the dish's using an old D**ECTTV receiver before I got the receiver. I had DN open within 1 hour of getting the receiver home. Finding BEV signal was a little harder but it can be done. So bottom line here is I am out $120, a few hours of work, LOTS of reading, saving good sites for future refrance ect.....so YA ITS WORTH IT we have seen 5 movies we never have before, watched NASCAR, ect so we feel we already have "made our money back"

just my thoughts

Bronze Member
Username: Zork_99

GTA

Post Number: 20
My two cents worth...In June, with all the rumours of the coming takedown of Charlie, I decided to buy cheap equipment(Ariza 700), not top of line stuff and do the installation work myself. Equipment with receiver 18inch dish, 2 lnb's and diseqc switch for $165...and it works...I wouldnt spend $400 bucks on anything new though. May as well buy a sub for that price.

Bronze Member
Username: Edenman

Post Number: 93
When I bought my viewsat I knew it could be down before I got it home. I sarted with 1 dish, 1 lnb, and a 2700 clone receiver. Im up to 2 dishes, 3 lnbs, 2 recievers. Will this all work next week? who knows, but this sure is fun stuff! and 1007 channels doesnt hurt either! Im NOT rich, but that initial $180 I put out (and every penny since) has paid for itself 4 times over already in FUN and TV! It really is a hobby, and hobbies cost $$$ :-)

Username: Kfox

Post Number: 6
It's worth it. I started off with a 2500 clone, now I'm testing a cool sat and view sat extreme, if you read and you find out which sites are pretty good eg hash hu,total fta,dss tester,f2atv. One of the most important decision with buying is the support that the sellers give to the product. Right now view sat is ahead of the team, though extreme magnum, cool sat had carded fixes.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 99
I quoted under $400 if you purchased everything (easiest way). Or like everyone else's posts', you can save a lot of money by going on e-bay, going to flea markets, mix & match, etc... Strictly your choice...

Bronze Member
Username: Pukka

Post Number: 54
testing is a hobby besides watching tv

Username: Williams

Toronto, Ont

Post Number: 2
go to www.fta.isgreat.tv for all your answers along with the best prices around

Silver Member
Username: Jrq

Post Number: 145
Testing is like going to Vegas... will you win? Maybe. Maybe not.

Spending $400 or more is OK if you will get months and months of viewing. But there are NO guarantees.

My advice is that you should approach it as a REAL hobby, testing equipment, buying, selling and trading. You'll read till your eyes bleed. The goal is NOT to get free TV; it's a hobby and a past-time. With that attitude, it doesn't matter if the TV goes down after 2 weeks because you should have a bigger motorized KU band dish and linear LNBs too. On goes your hobby; no money "lost". And these days, guys are building mini BUDS (120cm) and getting some of the stronger C-band signals - even more fun. Next thing you look and DN / Bev is back up; life goes on.

It really can be a hobby.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 70
it's a way of saying that you're testing but you're not. we're all taken dish signals and decript it to watch free paid channels. according to the law, it's illegal. individual can get away with it but not the dealers. some do get away with it only if they're smart to take off early before the law gets them.

Silver Member

Post Number: 105
If you're using your FTA box with the factory bin, it's a hobby... As soon as you load the new bin, it's signal theft... DN, DTV, etc. lose millions a year because of it... If they could, they would get every single one of us on this forum... But until then, F*ck 'em... Greedy b*stards!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 74
DN, DTV, etc....they make millions to billions per year F*ck'em greedy b*stards....they aint gonna bust everyone of us for signal theft. this is part of their dark side business that we don't know. that's the reason why this forums is still live....think of it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 106
I just trip out on the people that mislead newbies into believing that this shiznit is legal... or a hobby... mf, pleaseeee...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us