DVI to HDMI or Component cable ?

Username: Patd

Post Number: 1
Just learning here, help. I'm gettin a new LCD HDready sony TV, I want to upgrade my RCN (Boston) to HDTV. The problem , I think , is that the RCN HD converter uses the component cables. I have a DVD that also used ( with the old,old tv), component cable. The dvd has a 2nd option connection of s-video but I've heard that this is not as good. The new tv has among other inputs, 1 HDMI and 1 component input but from what RCN has told me, the HD converter is not DVI to HDMI, but just uses component cable. What option does this leave me for the dvd besides the s-video connection? The sony HD ready tv is great except the only 1 component input. Am I making sense , because I'm new at this crazy world of buying a new tv and understanding how to hook it up. Thanks.

DLP for Me!
Unregistered guest
Too bad you want a Sony LCD. Too bad it has only one component input since you obviously don't have a home theater system to handle all your devices. (hint, hint)(some good deals on 5.1 or 6.1 Surround Sound HT receivers on eBay). I mean, why have HD without Digital Dolby Surround Sound? Most receivers have 3 or more component hook-ups.

Username: Patd

Post Number: 2
I'm learning, so a receiver is the way to 'add on' or to get more component inputs?. I just want HDtv and a decent dvd for now. Is the s-video for the dvd really that bad? My cheap toshiba vhs/dvd could be replaced, do new dvd's have a hdmi connector since my component would be used for the hdcable converter?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us