Overcoming damaged vhs tapes

gvm
Unregistered guest
does anyone know of work done in recovering damaged vhs tapes please? The main symptom I want to address is frame jump, ie the effect of what appears to be loss of vertical sync. Examples are at http://www.techmastery.com.au/greenbar.htm

I thought if the damage is in the form of stretched tape then a solution might be found in adjusting the tracking of the tape over the heads. If the problem is due to loss of signal strength, then maybe the solution involves changing amplifier gain.

Also, suggestions of alternative forums to discuss this problem would be appreciated,

thanks,
Greg

Bronze Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 35
That looks more like a VCR problem than a tape problem, you wouldn't happen to be using an older JVC VCR? Have you tried the tape in another machine.

Username: Gvm

Post Number: 1
Hi David, I've not yet been able to try a different machine. This tape was one of a batch of 30 I received at the same time and was the only one to fail this way. It also shows signs of physical damage, ie crease marks. That's why I blamed the tape.

It would be great to read more advice about restoring tapes or retrieving contents from damaged tapes or other information sources.

thanks,
Greg

Bronze Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 97
If it has crease marks there is probably not much you can do besides try another VCR, some machines will play tapes that others won't. I don't know of any way to restore tapes, when they're gone, they're gone.

Anonymous

I have a Duraband VCR/DVD player and I want to watch some older movies but the ones that I put in the tracking on it is all wrong. I have no idea how to stop the video from showing the horizontal lines through it all the time

Can someone help me?

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us