Are 7.1 receivers backwards compatible with 6.1 speaker setup?

Username: Ingenuity1996

Post Number: 1
I've tried to look for this info online but could not find anything, I emailed onkyo tech support on one of their 7.1 receivers and got no reply.

I already have a 6.1 speaker setup and want to upgrade to a nicer receiver with hdmi but the decent ones are all 7.1 vs 6.1

Would i be able to continue using my 6.1 speaker set does anyone know?

Bronze Member
Username: Cclashh

Post Number: 50
Yes. You would just tell the receiver to turn off one of the rear surround sound speakers.

Post Number: 2
But most of the 7.1 receivers do not have the rear center channel that the 6.1 uses, where to connect it to?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 51
In that case you would just connect the rear surround to the one you did not turn off. I would use the right. It will work fine. The receiver's processor should now that it does not have two speakers to work with and sound mono output to that channel. The ability to Set one of the channels to off exists for this purpose.

Post Number: 3
Thanks for the info, do all the 7.1 receivers allow disabling of the left rear surround channel?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 52
That is impossible for me to know but they should. What kind are you interested in?

Post Number: 4
the onkyo 705 and 805 receivers or the sony 7.1s

Bronze Member

Post Number: 53
I know for sure that the Onkyo does. Just go to the Sony web site and download the manual according to its model number. The manual will say if it has the setting. It probably does.

Post Number: 5
will do! thanks

Bronze Member

Post Number: 54
Are you planning to have a blu-ray disc player?

Silver Member
Username: Huron

Post Number: 362
jeff Im trying to make sence of what your saying about the speakers, shouldnt ted just make a 5.1 speaker configuration like everybody else, and ted if your looking at $1000 recievers you can do better than onkyo, and what speakers do you have

Bronze Member

Post Number: 56
I am not sure what you are asking Angelo. No he should not as he has 6.1. If he had 5.1 he would turn off both rear surrounds. Setting it for 5.1 would just be a waste of a speaker and he probably already has them installed in the room.... Really not sure what you are asking. Do you know what 5.1 and 6.1 means?

Post Number: 6
I currently have a Pioneer 6.1 receiver. I wanted to get a sony bluray player thus wanting to upgrade my receiver. I already have 2 monster 3channel amps so i am stuck with a 6.1 speaker setup for now. I would like to get a 6.1 receiver with preouts since I do not need to use the receiver's amplifier.

I am using the eleganza 3600 speakers, 6 of them
FL FC FR
RL RC RR
and a standalone sub that is self powered into the wall.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 59
Get a sharp blu-ray disc player with the TrueHD decoder in the player and avoid buying a new receiver at all. The sharp blu-ray players are $500.00. Cheaper than buying a new receiver. Again the decoder is in the blu-ray player so you can use them with any receiver be 5.1, 6.1, or 7.1 and the receiver does not need to have the TrueHD decoder.

Post Number: 7
Well the reason for the upgrade was I wanted hdmi ports which i do not have now. And I want to get a new HD TV in the near future. Right now it is inconvenient not having hdmi ports when i try to connect the PS3 and have to resort to using optical out cables etc. vs just 1 hdmi. I have quiet a bit of things connected to the receiver and the bottlekneck seems to be no hdmi these days.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 60
If you are getting a new HD TV in the near future it will have enough hdmi inputs so apply the money you save on the receiver to the cost of the TV. Just requires a little patients and a lot less money :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 61
You really should not be making any major investments in you current setup anyway if you are planning to change it soon. There is no telling what you will want once you get everything the way you want it. Wait to get the TV before you spend any money. For example the reason you are getting the receiver is because of the HDMI switching and with the new TV you will not need this!

Post Number: 8
But wouldnt it be better if the receiver hooks up to the tv and all the other things hookup to the receiver? I am considering a projector and it would not be possible to have 3-4 25ft hdmi cables to the back of the room.

thus I was plannning this:

1. upgrade the receiver first which still has component outs to my current tv
2. get my bluray so i can plug it into the receiver
3. get the projector tv, if i do not end up getting it, it would be ok to.

the key is the 6.1 speaker part should stay the same as it is a pain in the neck to change out since i dont really want to replace the 2 amps and the 6 speakers and sub.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 63
Personally I would not get the front projection. How big of a display do you want to end up with meaning how big will the screen be to watch the video? Are you planning on having the installation professionally done? Again wait to decide on the other components when you have made a final decision on the TV. If you are planning on setting up this configuration you are really going to need some help. There are a lot of things to consider. Are you making a home theater room?

Silver Member

Post Number: 363
ok im back, ted I looked at your speakers, I think they deserve better than onkyo crap, my computers lagging so I cant see the ohm rating, but why are you running the monster amps? I think if you would get a reciever that the speakers deserve you might be happier, hold on Im going to reboot ill be back

Bronze Member

Post Number: 64
Angelo, I don't think he really needs a receiver. He can get TrueHD without upgrading his receiver and depending on what TV he buys he may not need the HDMI switching. He has bigger fish to fry right now. He is planning on totally changing his setup soon so it really is not wise to make any decisions until he has decided on the new TV. I think he is biting off a little more than he can chew. I really don't think he is aware of the difficulties he will face with what he is proposing.

Post Number: 9
I am putting this in my living room. it is a small budget project with no professional installer aside from a friend handyman who can ceiling mount my projector and the screen. I wanted to get a 100" 90-100" screen so I have no other choice, right now i am running a first generation sony 60" xbr grand wega. Been reading up on some 1500-2k HD projectors that had good reviews and thought that may do the trick.

This room is also not a dedicated room, as i use it for my home office, but it has couches and the stereo system in there so I thought just get a larger screen and enjoy. The room is not bright and has beige walls so I thought a projector will do ok. I would love to get a 70"+ plasma or LCD but the price is too high and i've always wanted a large screen cinema experience for the home.

to Angelo: I had to get the monster amps because I had a deal on the bundle and monster owns mdesigns and i had an opportunity to get the setup for a good price. It was qty 2 monster 3channel amps, 1 monster power conditioner, the 6 eleganza 3600 speakers and the bella standalone subwoofer.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 65
Not sure what to say then. You really need to consider what the bottom line is on what you are doing. Add up how much you are spending on the receiver, TV, cables, the screen (which you will need as I do not think you will be happy with the picture without it.) To me it sounds like you are going to spend more money than you are aware. When using the receiver as the switch you will need more hdmi cables than you would otherwise need and they are expensive. You will need a long hdmi cable to the projector that will also be very expensive. Make sure to add it all up because it sounds like you will spend just as much money as if you went with LCD or Plasma. Personally I do not like the quality of the video on front projection.

Silver Member

Post Number: 364
ted are the speakers all center speakers and how do you have them mounted?
I have the mits ht 100 projector its a great unit very tough, and I have had projectors in the past I wont use anything else,

jeff you dug into my freind berny and now your treating me like a noob whats your problem,

yes I have gapps in my knowledge and it might appear that im slow because of learning disibilitys, so deal with it,

I have helped a lot of people in this forum, this is not a race to see how can out do the other

Post Number: 10
all 6 speakers are 3600 so yes they are the same. they are not mounted right now as i have not decided how and where to mount them yet, so they just lay on the floor behind and to the side of the couch and in front and to the sides of the tv.

Silver Member

Post Number: 365
I ment mits HT 1000 projector and I dont use HDMI and I probibly wont untill they standardize it the small quality issues with front projection in the home mostly the blacks and lighting issues all fall away with the big cinima feel that you get, I dont even own a tv

Bronze Member

Post Number: 66
That was most certainly not my intent. This is a forum and as such you should expect input from others. I was not trying to say that your input was not valuable and I am certain that it is. My post directed to you was more of a request for your input and not meant to insult you. I am interested in what you have to say and I would apreciate the same respect from you! I was not digging into Berny I was merely discussing something with him and sharing my thoughts on it. If you want to think that my intent was less than honorable I have no control over that. That being said I am insulted by your tone!

Silver Member

Post Number: 366
ted mounting the speakers as unique as these are is going to be tricky, but if done right you could have a very cool speaker array

Bronze Member

Post Number: 67
Angelo, since you have a front projection. Will he be able to do this for less than what he would have to invest in a flat panel.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
i was planning to spend no more than $2500 for a hd projector and a decent 100" screen.
no more than $500 for a bluray player
no more than $800-1000 for a receiver.
my buddy will probably charge me a couple hundred to get the screen and projector installed.

This will not be a super duper setup by all means, but I want something above average to enjoy bluray and dvds with, large screen is a priority also.
Granted i do not need a new receiver, but thought it would be convenient leaving everything the way it is, plug in the new receiver. connect a 25ft hdmi from the receiver to the projector on the other side of the room then be done with it.

Back to the 6.1 question on the top. Jeff, don't the center channel on 6.1 receivers just produce voice? even if the onkyo or another receiver allows one channel to be disabled and send mono signal to it, would it be the same as having a real 6.1 output on the center channel?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 68
First I think you are putting all you eggs in one basket when restricting your choice of TV based on size. I would consider the size and picture quality. The LCD or Plasma is going to give you a much better picture especially with the blu-ray player. You can get a pretty nice one for the $4000 plus you are planning to spend. If it were me I would go with a smaller size LCD or Plasma if I had to for the benefit of the better picture. To me this is the purpose for making an HD investment not just the size. This way your only investment would be the TV and the Sharp Blu-ray player with the truehd decoder for sound making a new receiver unnecesary as well as alll the other investments the front projector will require.

Yes it would be the same as your current setup the only difference there will be is the HDMI switching that you do not currenlty have but again with the right TV you do not need this.

Silver Member

Post Number: 367
ted I have 360 post and you ask if I know what 5.1 or 6.1 means, every once in a wile someone comes in here acting strange, I would like to think that you are as cool as you knowlege, sorry for the insalt because that was my intention,

yes I think he can do the front projection very cheap,
MITS HD 1000 for under a $1000
ceiling mount $150
component cable $100
HDMI he can find cheap I will find the site
paint the goo on the wall $150
screan you can go different ways for now I have a mirror reversed my mirror was there but you can use the wall and paint with dunn edwards low sheen with 5 drops of black, that works well, dont buy the hang screans I have 3 of them and they have creases or worped on the edges, frame strech screans are the way to go but pricey

Bronze Member

Post Number: 69
Sorry, Angelo I was just trying to figure out what you were asking me. No harm intended...

Silver Member

Post Number: 368
its cool jeff now lets see if we can help ted, ted there are some frame mount screens that you can buy that come with the goo coating that got the best reviews on picture quality and price,http://www.projectorcentral.com/goo_systems_projector_screens.htm I trust the reveiws on this subject you can also look at all the screen reviews just look on the bottom and click, right now Im saving up for a firehawk or something similar were I can put my center channel behind the screen were it belongs, that you can only do with a projector and the fact of how big you can go and have on angel fade or edge fade,
hears my room to give you some ideas, I have made some changes that I haven't posted yet and don't mind the carpet https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/system-showcase/336284.html

Bronze Member

Post Number: 70
Angelo, will he really be able to get a decent front projector for $2500 that will even come close to rivaling an LCD or Plasma. This seems a little unrealistic to me regardless of its reviews. It may be getting good reviews but they are probably based on the quality that one should expect from a device of its type and not really telling him that it will do what he is expecting. I think he is going to be more in the $4000 range.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 71
Ted, I hope we did not lose you :-) Angelo was talking to me in that post. Using your name was just a typo :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 369
wow sorry, come back ted

Bronze Member

Post Number: 72
Angelo, what did you think about the last question I asked you?

Silver Member

Post Number: 370
projector are not for everyone, you have to tinker with them ajusting the focus once in a while and the sizing and lining them up, if it has a filter near the bolb (mits dos not) you will have to take it down once in a while to clean the filter but rear projections have simular issius, buying a UPS is a good idea far all as well, as far as picture qauity I veiw tvs as much as possible and lcd and dlp tvs have issues like the fact there getting bigger and when they get past 50" they all have fading problems, front projection dos not, the problems with the fronts is the darks, but with a good projector and the right screen and playing around with the adjustments you can be satisfide, the room light issues will allways be there, the pics of my room are in light conditions, I have viewed a lot of projectors the the mits 1500 for under a $1000 is as good as it gets with out spending to much on a growing industry that will make it obsolete in a short time

Bronze Member

Post Number: 73
Sorry Ted, I did not understand your question about the center and the rear. No its not the same. The center and the rear serve two different purposes. The center is as you say is mostly responsible for dialogue but does act in conjuction with the front left and right in creating the sound image. The rear surround receives its own separate signal and as you would expect is for sounds that you would perceive as being behind you in reality. What I said is still true the sounds that come from each speaker will still be the same as what you currently experience with the receiver you have. With any setup of this type the speakers all have their own unique sound coming from them and the system is attempting to make the sound you hear as close to reality as possible.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
just came back from watching a movie, lemme catchup here so I can reply :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 371
the pioneer elete kuro plazma has one of the best pictures best picture but look at the price and it wont be as big of a picture as a projector can do, like I said projectors are not for everyone, a tv you just put in a room and your done

Bronze Member

Post Number: 74
Angelo, he is expecting this to be an upgrade but in my opinion the TV he has is better than the projector that he would be "upgrading" to. He has a sony 60" LCD Rear projection and I am almost certain it has a better picture than the projector he is looking at. I think he is expecting to have his friend install this and that is all he will have to do. He would probably end up spending more than $2500 just on the projector and I would not be suprised if the 25 foot HDMI costs him $500. I know you know how to get it cheaper but I still think this is what he willl end up paying. The bottom line for me is that this seems like a big waste of money to me! If he is going fro the WOW factor he should really consider LCD or Plasma!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
as far as projectors i was looking at these:
Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 1080
Mitsubishi HC5000U
Sanyo PLV-Z2000
Mitsubishi HC4900
Panasonic PT-AE2000U Projector

Havent decided on the screen yet, but i guess it will be some grey screen, I read about the Stewart firehawk, but I think the price is too steep so I may end up getting some other grey screen.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
I am also open to a plasma or LCD, but I have a Sharp AQUOS 45" that I paid dearly for when it came out ~$5k and while the picture looked ok, I am always yearning for a larger screen when I watch a dvd or when I come back from the movie theaters LOL.

I really like the new sony LCD TV and they are super sharp on the bluray with great color, but all the larger plasma and lcdtvs that I have seen, they didnt seem that sharp either or maybe I just didnt get to see it with a good video source, not sure about that.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
alright now back to the original question. right now I have front left, center, front right and rear left, rear center, rear right.

7.1 does not have rear center but now that i am looking at this link, it seems like the 6.1 does not have a rear center either and only a rear.
http://www.pantherproducts.co.uk/Articles/Audio/surround_sound2.shtml

IF this link is accurate, then as long as the receiver i want will let me shut off 1 channel and supply mono to it AKA run in 6.1 then i am ok right? but then I do not know why the mfgs just dont say 6.1 and 5.1 backwards compatible anywhere that was why I thought that it is not backwards compatible.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 75
Ted, First I think you are putting all you eggs in one basket when restricting your choice of TV based on size. I would consider the size and picture quality. The LCD or Plasma is going to give you a much better picture especially with the blu-ray player. You can get a pretty nice one for the $4000 plus you are planning to spend. If it were me I would go with a smaller size LCD or Plasma if I had to for the benefit of the better picture. To me this is the purpose for making an HD investment not just the size. This way your only investment would be the TV and the Sharp Blu-ray player with the truehd decoder for sound making a new receiver unnecesary as well as alll the other investments the front projector will require. If it is the wow factor that you are looking for I think you are making a mistake. Have you seen the quality of the picture on these fron projectors for yourself? Do realize the maintenance they require? Do you know that the room will have to be completely Dark? Are there windows in the room that will allow light in during the day. If there are you will not be able to see the picture! It does not even come close to LCD or Plasma.

No its not the same. The center and the rear serve two different purposes. The center is as you say is mostly responsible for dialogue but does act in conjuction with the front left and right in creating the sound image. The rear surround receives its own separate signal and as you would expect is for sounds that you would perceive as being behind you in reality. What I said is still true the sounds that come from each speaker will still be the same as what you currently experience with the receiver you have. With any setup of this type the speakers all have their own unique sound coming from them and the system is attempting to make the sound you hear as close to reality as possible.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Maybe I should take a look at a hd projector pic first then so I can weigh the difference between larger screen size vs better picture.

The only reason i was considering a projector was when i goto the movies, the picture looked great even though clearly not HD. It would be a shame on the bluray discs I play on it though since it wouldnt look as good as a lcd tv.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 76
You are kind of unnecesarily laboring over the 6.1 thing. With 7.1 there are 2 rears and they have there own left and right channel. With 6.1 there is only one rear and all the sound comes from it instead of the sound coming from two. You will be happy with it the way I have told you to do it. Most of the time you will be listening to the front left and right and the center anyway. The sound image will be accurate the way I told you to do it. I promise :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 77
Also replacing the light bulb in the projector aint cheap. But I guess you know this since you have the sony you have now... I really think that the sony you have has a better picture than what you are perceiving as an upgrade by going to this projector...

Silver Member

Post Number: 372
ted go to a few audio vidio places and look at front projection, as I mentioned its not for everyone read all my post and look at my room,

as far as a lcd or dlp rear projection once again when you go over 50" fading becomes a problem, and them blowing away front projection this is not true if it were I would have one, HD looks the same, some people have the idea that the black level suck but like I said before a good projector and the right screen makes all the differents, Im not thrying to sell front projectors just defend them because I adition all of these things a lot

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
i agree with you on the picture issue, probably i need to reevaluate again by going down to the local Frys or bestbuy to check out the picture quality and if i can live with a bigger pic but not as sharp as my 720i sony. I was lucky not to have to change my lamp yet but i think they are 400-500$?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 78
Angelo, I own a 60 inch Sony LCD rear projection and I can say with utter confidence that there is absolutely no problem with fading although if I was buying a TV now I would go LCD or Plasma. They were too expensive when I bought mine :-) Ted has the same TV now anyway. The one he has is a Sony LCD rear projection.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 79
Ted, there are a myriad of reasons not to go front projection not just picture quality. I guess the simplest way to put is that they are a pain. I don't think you will be able to get one you will be happy with for $2500 anyway. They are used and can be ok but their application is usually a dedicated home theater that has no windows, etc and even in that application the projectors are very expensive. You would probably end up having to hire someone to some to come out and maintain it for regular cleanings and bulb replacement, etc...

Silver Member

Post Number: 375
I have mentioned that projectors are not for everyone but if you have someone to install and maintain or if your like me and just love building on a home theater then thats one issue out of the way, but a front projector dos not have to be a dedicated home theater but I would prefer it that way and you can have as many windows as you can but like we all know front projectors are more effected by ambient light but that dosnt meen tvs are not, and tv produce glare, any unit that has fans lcd dlp or plazma has cleaning up keep, and any unit that has a bolb it will need to be replaced front projectors have 3000 hour and rears have 6000 hours, if you mount a projector to the ceiling be aware that if you are cooking anything with oil that could effect the projector it should be shut down and covered,

jeff you say your lcd rear has no fading that would be imposible, as you move from one side to the other at a certain angle it will start to fade, I go to costco and best buy all the time and most dlp or lcd tv over 50" have some fading around the edges when your standing in there sweet spot, move even a little to one side and it sarts looking bad, some are better than others its most noticable with 65" on up,

HD can look pritty good on a projector, when I bought my mits I did a lot of research the one before that was a infocus and the repair issues sucked and the color wheel sounded like a coffee grinder I can definatedly say mits is tough and silent as you can get

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Thanks for all the advice Jeff and Angelo, it seems like i will have more deciding to do on the screen part of things. However I have somewhat narrowed down the bluray players to these based on reviews. Deciding whether i want to spend the extra on the bluray player
Any words of advice?

Samsung BD-P1200 Blu-ray Disc Player $549
Samsung BD-P1400 1080p Blu-Ray Disc Player $329
Sharp Aquos BDHP20U 1080p Blu-Ray Disc Player $323

As amplifier goes, i am inclined to go with the
Marantz SR4002 Digital EX/DTS ES $549

Silver Member

Post Number: 376
what sold me on the mits, I aditioned a sony VPL-VW60 on a fire hawk screen, very nice, black levels were great but as a trade off with the firehawk the projector wasnt mounted up and back far enough and I think this or maybe its the screen its self, it seemed a little transparent but over all I was amazed.

then I aditioned a mits HD 1000 with a siverstar screen which is not the best match because the mits 7 segmented color wheel one of the segments is clear to ad brightness and with such a bright screen and bright projector, but propor adjusting and setting the bulb on low, the dark were good everything else was good enough to compete with a $3000 projector

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
Angelo what are your thoughts on my choices of projectors above?

Silver Member

Post Number: 377
I also aditioned optoma which are good but I didnt want to take a chances on there repair issues,

ted I have no clue on blue ray call onecall.com and talk to Dax hes very knowlegable I see they have thet 1400 on sale over there get there credit card one year on intrest

marantz I have mixed feelings about

Bronze Member

Post Number: 80
Ted the blu-ray player you get will be based on the other more important decisions you need to make first....

Bronze Member

Post Number: 81
Again THe blu-ray depends on what config you decide on. If you just geta an LCD or Plasma and a blu-ray player you will not need the receiver so you will need to get the Sharp I mentioned with the truehd decoder for sound in the player. Its $500

Silver Member

Post Number: 378
ted Im not trying to sell you on projectors, realize that its a very cool tinker toy that will give you the cinima feel that you want, but most people have a tv to watch and use the projector for the cinima action,

the mits I can say are tough and will compete well, sanyo belongs in the garbage, I read mixed reveiws on the panasonic, epson has been around for a long time but if I was going to spend more than a $1000 on a projector which I wouldnt at this time I would look at mits or sharp,

what Im waiting for is ether for the DLP 3 color chip to get cheap enough or waite to see if they come out with a laser projector

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
Jeff, if i do get an lcd or plasma, i would want something at least 55" or 60" I am already using a 60 and think it is a bit too small as it is. Obviously i may have to live with the size if i choose to go with picture quality as a priority.

Also I have a sharp 45" lcd when they first came out with it and am not too pleased with the performance of it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 379
ted like I said most people have a tv to watch and a projector for cinima action, as far as picture quality lcd or dlp low budget front projection or rear projection tv they all have there problems and none are way better than the other in picture qauilty, if you are going to talk about picture quality improvement over lcd or dlp tv, or low budget front projection and let me repete that, low buget front projection, then look at the pioneer elete kuro plazma

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
is there a problem with watching tv on a projector? I have the sharp 45" lcd in the other room, but would still be using a projector if i end up getting one to watch TV on.

Silver Member

Post Number: 380
ok Im done with proving that you will have the same picture qauilty go out and see for your self but make sure you know exactly what the setup is far front projection like I have been saying have to be setup right,

ok im posting over your post, yes ted you can watch tv on the projector I do thats all I have and I cant watch anything smaller because once you go big you will never want to veiw anything less, just about every night I play online xbox ghost recon and battle field 2 for about 4 hours and I cant get enough of the big screen I will go bigger soon

Silver Member

Post Number: 381
but what are you going to do hear you have the speaker and amp issues, your trying to deside on going with hdmi or not, blue ray, your budget is confusing, your goal to what you want out of a system, what is the room like

Silver Member

Post Number: 382
jeff your post 70, yes for a $2500 projector and the right screen he can out do a rear projection tv in picture quality but not out do the pioneer elete plazma or simular plazmas

Bronze Member

Post Number: 83
Ted, how big is the room and how far away from the TV is the main sitting position?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
i will have to ck it out tonight. maybe take some pics of it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
room is probably 24feet x 20feet. tv is about 10-12 feet from sitting.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
photos

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23284586@N03/show/

Username: Ojeanyc

NYC USA

Post Number: 1
hi ted, i dont know if im late, but i recently got a Yamaha HTR6060. It is a 7.1 receiver with HDMI, albeit 1.2a no trueHD processor, but it has auto setup and it recognized my speakers 6.1 properly and adjusted to it. Most current receivers with auto setup will do that for you. including onkyo and so on. Not sure if thats of any help as it seems most of you know more than i do.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
not too late yet, didnt buy anything. So the auto setup will automatically configure the receiver to a 6.1 and convert 7.1 to it on your yamaha?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
finally onkyo replied today.

Thank You for contacting Onkyo USA Product Support.

Sorry about the delay, all of our receivers have the capabilities of
running either 5.1, 6.1 and 7.1. You just have to make sure that the
speakers go into the correct locations on the back panel of the receiver.
Then in the setup menu you have to tell the unit in the speaker setup that
you are only using the one surround back connection instead of 2 channel.
Thank you,
Jen

NYC USA

Post Number: 3
Hi ted. The yamaha instructions advise for the scenario. You should plug the the speaker wire into one of the rear surround outputs (left side). then the auto setup turns off the unused output and works with what it has. I cant vouch for the other systems, but im sure, as your email from onkyo states, that other receivers will have a way to adjust to the speaker count.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
ok so that clears up the receiver part. now onto the screen issue. projector or small lcdtv

NYC USA

Post Number: 4
i had a similar dilemma when i was setting my AV at my new place. After much research and review of countless reviews, no pun intended. Ended up with a Toshiba 65" 1080p DLP, which was on sale at Circuit City. It looks beautiful. My ps3 games look very nice, my Xbox 360 looks great! no complaints so far. But im not an overly advanced user.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
the prob is the rear projectors are not as bright as the lcd or plasma. If I was going to sacrafice brightness, then I would get the front projectors, invest in a good 100" screen and just update the projects as they get better. I dont know what to do with my 60" sony grand wega xbr now. it is a monster with the stand that i paid $6k for 3 yrs ago.

NYC USA

Post Number: 5
i get you. i set it up at the right hight for the couch viewing position and i could get a tan from the brightness. I have turned down the brightness on my screen as well as the bulb burn to low. I am personally pleased with my screen, id love for it to be thinner and hanging on the wall, but so far its giving excellent service. I only paid 1500.00 for it. i had a plasma and an LCD in mind already when i saw this one.

Silver Member

If theres no...

Post Number: 385
ted, back to my first post before I got crazy on defending front projectors, just abuot all recievers will do 5.1 6.1 and 7.1 when the speaker configuration is set for 6.1 your reciever will automaticlly trigger the selection of one of the DTS-ES modes. then 6.1 is going to use say the 5.1 sound track and create one more channel, the piont I was getting at is your not really listining to true 6.1, the thing is are you giong to listen to music on this system as well? I would set the system up so you would be listening to 5.1 most of the time, and I would be looking at recievers in your budget of $1000 like NAD or cambridge or H/K, for you I think cambridge might match up well

Bronze Member

Post Number: 86
Ted, I am going to get an Onkyo TX-SR605 its going to cost me $470.00. Its 7.1 capable but has an auto-setup that will detect that you only have 6 sattelite speakers and adjust your output accordingly. You don't have to get self adjusting though -as I indicated at the beginning of this topic you can manually tell the receiver that you are only using one rear surround just as onkyo has now indicated to you. I would recommend Onkyo over any of the other brands if you want to go to another receiver. You can get a THX certified onkyo by going one model up from the 605 -the model number is the TX-SR705 and its around $650. I cannot stress enough that I think you are making a mistake going with a projector but this is ultimately your decision. Can you move the seating position closer to the TV?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
i am back, actually i have placed an order for the:
Marantz SR4002 Digital EX/DTS ES $549

it seemed to have good reviews and the best bang for the buck. I hope it works out. I have another option, to get 1 more speaker to have a 7.1 but have not decided yet.

I have not decided on the screen yet, I have seen the new ultra thin pioneer kuros plasma they showed at CES, but it is not avail yet so the screen choice is nowhere final. I've also been reading about a lot of the blu-ray players having compatibility issues on newer movies especially with the new java on the new discs so i may have to wait a few months as summer there will be new bluray versions. I was leaning towards the samsung before i read a bunch of reviews on them with compatibility and slow updates to the firmwares.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 87
The receiver sounds nice. The only problem i can see with it is that you did not mention if it decodes Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD sound formats. This may or may not be necesary depending on whether the blu-ray player has the decoder or not. If it has the decoder you can use the marantz if it does not then the receiver will have to do the decoding and you did not indicate that the marantz does. I bought a panasonic bd30 blu ray player for reliability and it does not have a decoder so my Onkyo TX-SR605 does this. I have never been happier with a receiver than the Onkyo TX-SR605 it has HDMI switching, it upconverts everything to HDMI and it sounds great -best I have ever heard.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
http://www.my411family.com/electronics/audio/reviews/print.php?id=15

says:
These units will have two or more inputs and outputs in HDMI with 1.3 versions. All of the receivers, mentioned above, are capable of decoding and processing the new lossless sounds, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio and also Dolby DigitalPlus which has less compression. These new sounds which are similar to Cinema sounds are the essence of the present day technology. It is likely that these receivers will give Cinema quality in the processing of these new sounds.

so i think i am safe. I may wait a couple of months to get a bluray player as new models from CES are released. in the meantime will do some research on screen options.

Username: Levelzero

Post Number: 8
Ted,

I'm a month or so behind on this post, but I wanted to address to this:

"Well the reason for the upgrade was I wanted hdmi ports which i do not have now. And I want to get a new HD TV in the near future. Right now it is inconvenient not having hdmi ports when i try to connect the PS3 and have to resort to using optical out cables etc. vs just 1 hdmi. I have quiet a bit of things connected to the receiver and the bottlekneck seems to be no hdmi these days."

When you use the HDMI cable from the PS3, you will still need to use a digital optical cable to the receiver to get the surround sound. You can also use the optical cable to get surround sound if you use component. Simply unplug the audio cables and keep the red, blue and green cables connected. I use the component/optical set up with my Xbox 360, and the HDMI/optical with the PS3. Cable box is optical, and the dvd player is coax (orange).
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us