Design A Home Theater System

Username: Jrcookie55

New York, NY United States

Post Number: 1
Hey all. I've been reading a number of posts and luckily have put off purchasing a Bose Lifestyles setup due to comments on how overrated they are. I want to design a home theater system and current have a bunch of stuff that i need to decide on keeping or replacing. I want to put together a nice system for 50/50 movies and music.

I recently purchased a 40inch Sony Bravia XBR4 and want to build a system around it (I would prefer to spend 1000 dollars for it total or 1500 max).

I have in the house:

Speakers:
2 Pioneer A50's
2 Pioneer CS 53
2 JBL D38

Receivers:
Magnavox MX751 Pro
SX205

I plan on purchasing a Blu Ray Player this summer and use HDMI hookups for the cable box and DVD player. Can you guys help me out regarding a good system and let me know which of my stuff is worth keeping? Any comments are appreciated. The living room it would go in is about 12 feet by 20 feet and the "theater" area is 12 feet by 15 feet within the room.

Silver Member
Username: Cclashh

Post Number: 214
Since you are going to get blu-ray and are using HDMI I would suggest a new receiver that has HDMI switching and decodes dolby true hd and dts hd sound formats that the blu-ray player should deliver. You will also going to want to make sure that the blu-ray player does deliver the high defintion sound formats to the receiver.

Here is my biased opinion on a receiver. I own an Onkyo TX-SR705. It has hdmi switching, is THX certified, decodes the high definiton sound formats, (true) 100 watts per channel, 7.1 channel, has the Audyssey automatic calibration, and is reasonably priced at around $650.00. The receiver also has a total of 3 HDMI inputs and this is important considering you are going to be using HDMI. The more hdmi inputs you have the more you can do with the reciever. Another advantage to this receiver is that you can connect anything you want to it, be it component, s-video, or composite, and it will output everything thru the one hdmi out on the reciever to the TV and it will all be upconverted to what is called 720p. This may not be an issue for you because it seems that everything you are using is HDMI. To me this reciever is the best bang for the buck!

See the below link for complete details.

http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=TX-SR705&class=Receiver&p=i

As far as the speakers are concerned are you happy with them. Do you like the way they sound? I did not notice a center channel in your list? How many speakers total do you have? Do you have a powered sub woofer? I ask because you are going to need 7 speakers and a powered sub-woofer.

Post Number: 2
Hey Jeff,

Thanks for your response. I like how the speakers sound although they are rather large and was looking for the rear speakers to be smaller (more like satellite). No center speaker or sub. Any suggestions for those? I love how the A50's sound and look (old style boxes with wood casings). Is there any problem hooking them up to a more modern receiver? I'd be happy to move them into another room and get a full set of 7 speakers for the theater room if there are any good packages you'd recommend.

Silver Member

Post Number: 215
First what do you think of the receiver? Are all of your components going to be connected via HDMI? What blu-ray players are you considering?

You can probably use the speakers you have and avoid buying a full set of 7 speakers but you will need a powered sub. What speakers are you going to keep?

Post Number: 3
I was looking into samsung/sony blu rays but nothing yet until the new 1.1 compliants come out this summer. I want something that's easy to update firmwire (hopefully wirelessly similar to PS3 which i'm avoiding to buy to use as a blu ray due to audio output issues i've heard about). Receiver looks great. I've been reading lots of reviews for Onkyo's and everybody seems to love them. I think I'd end up keeping the A50's and JBL's which I'm currently using. I could set up the CS53's until I get something smaller. My big problem is I need the RL, L, R, and RR to be pretty small (which none of mine are at the moment). Can the receiver recalibrate for a 5.1 setup for awhile? I still need a center and sub without a doubt.

Silver Member

Post Number: 216
Yes the receiver can be configured as 5.1. You would just disable the rears but looking at your budget you should be able to do the full 7.1 setup. Is $1,000 to $1,500 still your budget? I found the receiver on Amazon for $515.00 (see below link) that leaves a lot of room for decent speakers :-) How big are the ones you want to keep? The largest of the speakers you will have are the front left and rights and center channel. As you say the surround right and lefts and the rear right and lefts would need to be smaller to properly place them in the room so you are looking at 2 of the speakers (front right and left) that are ok to be any size you would like. The center can be large but as you say you are probably going to need to purchase one of those..

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OBMX0K

Be careful about the blu-ray players you are looking at. I have heard some bad things about them. I have seen a lot of reviews saying that they are not reliable and lock up 2/3's of the way thru a movie and take forever to load. I went with a panasonic BD30 for reliablility and the ability to get high def sound formats. You want to make sure that the one you get will do high def sound formats and is reliable.

Post Number: 4
Thanks so much. I looked at the BD30 but may look again at it. Just didn't get it since it was $$. Budget is still 1000-1500. I like the receiver and would be happy using all 7.1 system. I need the surrounds to be able to be hung. What would you recommend that could be hung? I looked through the board and not much was small enough to hang. At least for R and L surround needs to hang. Blu Ray purchase is still a ways off as it seems like all of them have small quarks to fix.

Post Number: 5
A50's are 26(h)x 13.5(w), JBLs are smaller bookshelf type.

Silver Member

Post Number: 217
OK, so you will need a center, 2 more surrounds and a sub. I would use the JBL's as the right and left surrounds (I am assuming that the JBL's can be hung?) and the A50's as the front left and right. Any chance you have the spec.s on those speakers? How were you planning to buy the speakers, online or in a retail store?

Post Number: 6
JBL's are large to hang. Specs:

50-200kHz
175 wats recommended
92 dB sensitivity
8ohms imped
8" woofer
4' mid
2' tweeter
weight 17lbs

To buy I'd prefer to test in store (i live in NYC) but would be OK ordering on-line if they're from a good place. I can't find specs for the pioneer A50's but thy are old for sure. Max watts is 60 and imped is 8

Post Number: 7
I've tried to upload a photo but can't because it's outside pixel range or something. Very strange and I can't figure out how to downsize it appropriately. I put them on a new webpage on my site:

http://parkavenuebengals.freehosting.net/photo3.html

so you can take a look at the speakers (cs-A50's). JBL D38's are googleable since they are newer.:

http://www.hometheaterinfo.com/jbl.htm

Silver Member

Post Number: 218
Well :-) I was trying very hard to help you salvage some of your speakers but its looking more an more like you are going to want get a new full matching set of speakers -sorry. If you get the receiver at the price I linked to earlier then you have about a thousand to spend on a set so you should be able to get a decent set. If there is a retail store in your area that can demo a set for you I would reccomend that (especially if they can demo the Onkyo receiver I mentioned.) The criteria for deciding on what you get for speakers is mostly based on what your opinion of the sound is. I really think you are going to be happier with new speakers. It looks like its time to put the ones you have out to pasture :-) The receiver is going to give you great sound so half the battle is over.

Post Number: 8
Yeah I realize that 60wats max power isn't going to cut it anymore. Any speaker systems you'd recommend? Brands you're recommend or not recommend? Any help would be great as I haven't much experience buying "new" speakers.

Silver Member

Post Number: 219
Well :-) like I said the speakers you get are really going to be up to you. I can say I like this or I like that but it really has no signifigance. Its just my opinion. Like I said go and demo some and before you decide do some online research on the ones you like. Check reviews, see if the company is reputable, etc...

Post Number: 9
Ok thanks. I'll look around. Are there any specs that I should make sure they have? im not very good with all the new audio lingo so when looking should i ask for something in particular? i.e. banana plugs or none? That kind of stuff.

Silver Member

Post Number: 220
I don't think you will need or want banana plugs just because of the way the wire mounts on this receiver. Other than that the sales staff will know what to or not to recommend. Just let them know its an Onkyo TX-SR705 and 100 watts per channel but to be honest this is probably not going to be an issue. Also make sure they know you are setting up 7.1 and need the full set. The spec.s are really not going to mean much. As I said the deciding factor is what you hear and whether you like what you hear. Hopefully they can demo this for you with an Onkyo TX-SR705 receiver. When you actually do the install I would use 16 gauge wire for the speakers.

Did you need any help deciding on HDMI cables?

Post Number: 10
I read somewhere that HDMI's are all the same as they are digital, is that wrong? if so what should i look for?

Silver Member

Post Number: 221
How long is the HDMI cable run from the receiver to the TV. Will the the components be on the same shelving as the receiver. How long will the HDMI cable runs from the components to the receiver be (3 foot?)....

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
From TV to all components is within the same cabinet (on website is picture). Everything is 3ft away Max. I current use two 3 foot HDMI's for connecting DVD player and Cable box to TV. RIght now i have the TV connected to receiver via analog cables.

Silver Member

Post Number: 222
You are going to want to use the receivers HDMI switching. What this means is that the only connection to the TV will be from the receivers HDMI out to the TV's HDMI in. All the components will connect to the receivers HDMI in. Then you will switch to the different components using the receivers input selections. The TV will always be on one HDMI input. How long will the cables need to be for this?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Any thought on:

http://www.aperionaudio.com/product/Intimus4BHarmonySD,116,33,264.aspx

for speakers? i realize it'll put me over budget but as all my furniture is in cherry wood it'd match well. Easier to make it seem like a good investment.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
For that the cables will be less than 3 feet for sure. Receiver is 3 feet from TV and all components are within 2 feet or so of receiver.

Silver Member

Post Number: 223
OK, then it does not matter what cable you use so go cheap :-) This web site is good for reasonably priced cables. You can also use what ever you have now. How many HDMI components are you going to have with cable, Blu-ray, etc.. Hopefully no more than 3 :-)

http://www.monoprice.com/home/index.asp

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
nope using 2 now....plus blu ray in the future makes 3. perfect sized for receiver. Any thought on those speakers? The front sized look small (<9inch x 5.5inches) (h x w)

Silver Member

Post Number: 224
As for the speakers that is a 5.1 setup so with another pair of surrounds you are going to be even further over budget. If you click on the link for the 7.1 setup on that site you are closer to $1450.00. I guess they are ok if you have the money...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Yeah i saw they were expensive. I mean in terms of quality. Know anything about the company?

Silver Member

Post Number: 225
I would do some research on them first. The only problem I have with buying speakers this way is that the most important factor being what you think of how they sound is left out of the equation. I mean what if you get them home go to all the trouble of setting it up and they sound like a tin can. I really cannot know this either. The only thing you would have going for you is the opinions of others and like I said before this is only another person's opinion. While someone else may like or dislike is not really going to determine whether you like or dislike them. I strongly recommend going somewhere that can demo a set for you. This is going to limit your selection somewhat over the vast number of online possibilties but its also going to simplify your process somewhat because you will know what you are getting yourself into unlike trying to decide on something just by sight online.. You can't judge a book by its cover :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
I was just looking back at the receiver (SR-705) what are the major differences between that and the 805? i saw that the 605 wasn't liked very well but anything really different between 705 and 805 that is worth knowing about? I think the 805 is a bit much in any case but I thought i'd ask.

Silver Member

Post Number: 226
The 805 is just a more sophisticated version of the 705. It is pretty much the same with each aspect of the 805 having a much better design. It weighs a lot more because it has a better power supply. It has a higher level of THX certification. I am pretty sure the 805 is 130 watts per channel as opposed to the 705's 100 watts per channel. All in all it means it sounds better. Truthfully I think the 805 would be overkill for your application and not worth the investment.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Thanks for the explanation. I probably wouldn't hear a difference. Great to have somebody tell me the more expensive isn't necessary. 705 it is. I'll head down tomorrow to hear it at a best buy close buy and then if i like it i'll get it from amazon as they have the best price. How long should warranties be on receivers do you recommend?

Silver Member

Post Number: 227
I don't know about the Best Buys in your area but all of them in mine do not carry Onkyo -go figure. The circuit citys do. If you have circuit citys in your area they will give you a warranty on it for next nothing, you are probably not going to get it at Amazon's price from them but it might be worth asking. Can you get a warranty when buying from Amazon and how much is it if you can? I have always had good luck with Onkyo so I did not even get a warranty. The warranty is really up to you and the length of it really depends on what you can afford. It comes with a year warranty. If you don't have any circuit citys there you will have to check around fro a place that will demo the Onkyo but definitely check to see if Best Buy carries them in your area.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Circuit city says it doens't have any in store but maybe they have one to demo. I'll see tomorrow. They are much more expensive in the end even though there's only a $10 difference in price because amazon doesn't charge tax. So it ends up being a $60 difference in the end. I'll check them out and if they don't have it i'll go down to J and R who has everything for way overpriced. Thanks for all your help. I'll have to look around for some good speakers but I'll see what they say in the store. Any good websites you'd recommend reading (i.e. Cnet) for good reviews that you trust to get the ball rolling?

Silver Member

Post Number: 228
If circuit city says they are out of stock (which is usually the case for anytihng there) that does not mean that they do not have a display model. Also they can special order it for you. The advantage to that is if you need to return it to the store you can without having to ship it back and forth. If they carry them then they probably do have a display model.

I usually just google for reviews just be careful not to trust everything that people say because a lot of the times you see a bad review its just because the person is not technically inclined and they just do not know what they are doing. I can usually just tell if what I am seeing for reviews can be relied upon. The ligitimacy of the sites you find with reviews is usually self evident. Let me know what your final decision is and if you need any help with setup once you get everything.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us