Stereo into Logitech Z-5350 Digital

Username: Archean1

Post Number: 1
I just unpacked a set of Logitech Z-5350 Digital speakers that for right now will be used with a TV & DVD (Mintek 1750). The DVD & speakers both have digital coax, but I don't have the cable at the moment and I'm playing...

So, I just grabbed the audio from the headphone jack and input into a stereo input on the speakers. I was assuming Dolby Prologic II would kick in here to decode and give me 5.1 (not true 5.1 that the digital will give but surround sound none the less. The control box shows "stereo input" and let's me "Effects" including Stereo, Surround Sound Movie and Surround Sound Musice. But it any mode besides stereo it sounds like crap basically playing out of the center channel and sub.

Problem Solving:

- I hooked up my MP3 player to another Stereo input channel and it plays very nicely in all the different "Effect" modes coming out of all the speakers (just like you'd expect the DVD to do).

- in the DVD player menus it only lists Dolby 2.1 English & French as language options. Maybe this unit is smart enough to know there is no digital output connected and therefore it downsamples / converts the audio to 2.1 (stereo & sub?)

- but still, if I dump stereo from the headphone jack to the speakers, shouldn't Dolby Prologic be able to make the surround sound just like it does with the MP3 player?

I'm confused... any thoughts? I'll grab the digital coax cable tomorrow, so many it doesn't matter, but still curious.

Username: Archean1

Post Number: 2
Just to add to the problem solving...

- I plugged my laptop into the speakers and took the audio from the headphone jack just as I do with the Mintek DVD and I get the desired results (i.e., the speakers interpret a stereo signal and show Dolby Pro Logic II being active and I get nice sounding surround sound)

So I guess I have some setting in the DVD player not set up right? I'm thinking I must getting dual mono output which is defeating the Dolby Pro Logic? And there is such a setting in the DVD menu, but I've tried a bunch of different settings and still can't figure it out.

Username: Scoyote

Post Number: 1
I'm trying to hook these speakers thru my panasonic sa-he70---since the speakers are amped --i have to find 6 channels pre amped and use a Y from a stereo pin to 2 rcas into the control pod. If you have prologic 2 you should be able to upmix even a stereo signal to acceptable "surround" sound. I'm trying to learn as i go--but have read that if you wire the dvd connection incorrectly---you will be using the inferior chipset in the dvd---negating PL2 and your receiver tone controls as well. Does that make any sense?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us