BUILDING THE BEST CUSTOM STAND EVER

Username: Ascleanasitgets

KingstonCanada

Post Number: 2
I need some opinions on the following:
Type of wood to build with?
Sound deadining good or bad idea?
structuring for better quality?
besides fan cooling any other way of doing that?

TV will be mounted to the back of the stand and will ba a floating screen

any ideas I may have over looked are much appreciated....

Upload

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 909
I don't know if it's such a good idea to put the sub in a totally enclosed space. Where are the rest of your equipment going to go (DVD player, cable/dish etc.) Are you going to use the PC for everything?

Silver Member
Username: Delsole

Post Number: 276
i dont really like the design too close together i dont think it will sound all that good anyways

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 7312
Are you accepting not so good opinions?:-)

You have good idea as far as keeping everything together. The stand design, however, looks like a giant console TV from the 70's. Enclosing the sub like that will rattle everything in or on the stand.

KingstonCanada

Post Number: 4
It's a Velodyne DPS-10 (go to futureshop.ca if you don't know what it is)front firing sub with the slot facing forwards so most of the vibration should be pushing out of the front the front and back will be open I was also considering using sound deadining in other parts of the stand to stop that the PC does everything no DVD player or satalite/cable once this is complete.

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 914
Does velodyne not recommend a corner wall setup with the front firing sub facing the wall about 4-5 inches away?

KingstonCanada

Post Number: 5
not to my knowledge but if you had information on that I'd live to see it

does anyone have any recommendations for what i could do to minimize vibration I want it to be small because I live in an apartment right now and eventually that may become a secondary system in a bedroom or something

Username: Noek

Post Number: 1
well bass is non directional so you can realistically hide the sub anywhere in the room, it doesnt necessarily have to be lumped into a compartment.....

Also, if you are talking fan heating for a pc in an enclosure, I would definitely liquid cool your cpu, north and south bridge chipset, and possibly video...mainly to reduce noise and effectively keep your cpu from frying...of course, you are going to have a problem with proper air flow regardless if it is in an enclosure..good luck!

Bronze Member

KingstonCanada

Post Number: 24
the front and back will be open where the pc is the sub is and probably where the amp is the pc will have at least 3 inches in every direction it would be like puting it under a desk or in a hole in a desk just it wont be mdf I kinda like the idea of having my sub with my other components at the front though it definitly doesnt have to be also because the top is going to be so wide already i kinda needed somethin to fill the stand up get back to me i need as much advise on this as i can get. ANYONE RECOMMEND ANY SPECIFIC TYPE OF WOOD TO USE????????????????

Bronze Member

KingstonCanada

Post Number: 31
maple walnut pine are some of the recommendations i have gotten any others? any reasoning behind em?

Bronze Member
Username: Mortal_one

Canada

Post Number: 35
Well Joe it looks like you are either try to get WAF with that or just working with wood? You are dealing with some serious problems with the idea that you are toying with. The first is enclosing your Main L/R and center channel in combined spaces. The speaker cabinet resonate and will have a tendency to "ring" when coupled to any wood. And the reason for this is to couple the speakers to the floor. With your cabinet design this will not work. Also what if the height that you pick for this cabinet does not work for the speakers that you are using?

The center channel placement is also a bit of as a concern as most are designed to be placed on top of the TV.

http://www.soundstage.com/surrounded/surrounded200307.htm

By the way maple is the wood of choice for most people.

Are you leaving any room for speaker toe in?

Bronze Member

Canada

Post Number: 36
http://www.practical-home-theater-guide.com/home-theater-speaker-placement.html

Bronze Member

Canada

Post Number: 37
http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/diyracks.html

Bronze Member

KingstonCanada

Post Number: 40
I'm thinking its time to re design i might have to eliminate the fronts and sub from the cabnet and change the style cuz it sounds like Its probably not gonna work out the way i planned
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us