Why Satellite TV?

Username: Robert86

Post Number: 1
Why Satellite TV not Cable TV?

Simply because it offers a great combination of quality programming, reliable service, and competitve pricing. Together with solid customer service, satellite tv programming is hard to beat.

In a very competitive environment, satellite tv providers, have gained national recognition and approval by by delivering quality television programming with choice, entertainment value and savings over comparable cable tv service.

There currently are some excellent offers available for Free Satellite Tv systems from DIRECTV and Dish Network.

The following satellite tv faq will help you to know more about this entertainment service. If you have a question not answered here, feel free to visit compare satellite tv.

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 24602
Since you brought it up I have to beg to differ. I've been a paying sat customer for quite some years now through both DTV and DN and can honestly say I don't care for the customer service with either. DN is by FAR the worst though. I switched from DN years back due to reception problems and lack of customer service. Top that with equipment failure and you have an unhappy camper. With DN I literally had no picture during mild rain and or snow. Funny, that's when you WANT to watch tv too!

Now that I'm with DTV customer service is mildly better and reception is too. I'm just not thrilled with the channel packages. They seem to (and I'm sure they invest heavily on research) assemble channel packages that divide the family, forcing a purchase of a larger package in order to keep you happy. The Dad wants sports, Mom wants movies and the kids want toons. You're not getting all that cheap.

I remember 20+ years ago when the cable bill was $20 and we thought THAT was highway robbery. Today with sat you can rack up $100+ easily with sports, movies and stuff for the kids. And don't forget pay-per-view.

Eh, don't take my ramblings too seriously. I don't watch much tv anymore so for those who do and feel it's worth it by all means spend your $$ the way you seem fit.

I just hate spam like ^^^^^^ trying to pull the wool over so many eyes.

Diamond Member
Username: Nydas

Post Number: 20973
We get spoilt with hundreds of channels offered. In any family home there is no need for more than 70 channels

Diamond Member

Post Number: 24604
Not to mention the fact that they include so many channels in their lineup that are home shopping and infomercial channels. Just more channels looking to sell you something.

I'd have to guess that on average a 200 channel "package" has maybe 40 channels you'll actually use on a daily basis throughout your family?

If you're looking to buy something do it on the net where it costs you nothing to look. Don't add those channels to my "package" and charge me for them.

Bronze Member
Username: Duffy_losers_bar

Post Number: 11
Paul Larrea......I remember 20+ years ago when the cable bill was $20

Yeah, and I remember 2 years ago I had over 2,000 FTA
Satellite Channels and never compliant.
excellent service

Platinum Member
Username: Lklives

Post Number: 16440
Too funny Rookie...lol

Paul..you're so right, but the theatres are almost a dead thing now, so satellite and cable companies capitalize on that..everybody (men, women, children) wants to see a movie whether new or old...so most all packages include some movies or a movie promo to hook ya..years ago, ya just went to the theatre, bought some popcorn and made a night out of it...now home entertainment is in demand..

Satellite (Dishnet, Directv, etc) versus Cable (Charter, Comcast, Time Warner etc)...there's really not much differences basically...theres good and bad companies with either of them..and costs are fairly equal..and packages are very similiar...

I will say Verizon TV is the worse cost wise cuz of HUGE taxes they charge which is about 25% of the package, added to the package... where satellite and cable has very little taxes added..

Years ago we figured out how to "borrow" cable signals, and then later same thing with satellite..and now thats just about all come to an end....the cheapest and best deal in town is "sub sharing", which is very safe and reliable, but still not legal...and that only works with satellite TV...

Diamond Member

Post Number: 20976
I can see satellite TV take the same turn as FM as Internet TV takes over. However, right now the Indian, Pakistani and other ethnic communities of USA and Canada desperately want their own-language channels, and they want to pay for it. Dish Network has a lot of channels now for the ethnic communities, but bell in Canada is far behind. However, Rogers in Canada make up with 32 channels Indian channels and some other ethnic channels on cable.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 24608
The theaters are dead because of the insane increase of ticket price and the cost of concessions. Why in the world would they charge $5 for a soda? $8 for popcorn??? It's because they HAVE to, to offset the lack of general revenue from the slacking ticket sales. I take my kids to see a movie today and it costs me $40! Buy the DVD 4 months later for $15 and you see the reason for the anger.

The increase in theater cost is compounded by the pirating factor, which is huge.

Yet another example of the paying supporting those who don't.

Bronze Member
Username: Reppobgib

Post Number: 34
i remember also that when i was a kid (i'm now 62) that my mom bought cable..a brand new thing for $12.00 bucks a month (expensive then) with a guarantee that the price would never increase for life...they just didn't tell her that when they sold out that life was over. bring on the Vaseline

Diamond Member

Post Number: 24610
Well we are starting to see the ripple effect on pro sports. Back in the "day" it started with wrestling and boxing. Pay-per-view was in its' infant stage and about to open a nasty can of worms. People kept telling themselves that their beloved baseball and football were immune to such tactics. Wrong! Eventually increased expenses and player salaries will dictate the market. We see it every time a local game is blacked out or the need of a "premium" channel in order to watch a Monday night game.

The transition isn't happening overnight but it IS happening. We're not too far away from every pro sport game being a pay-per-view event. As a fan you feel the pinch on either side of the fence. As a fan looking to watch the game live it costs you dearly now with the increased ticket, parking and concession costs that rival buying your wardrobe in a boutique in Beverly Hills. What does that mean for the average American? Watching from home. Well the leagues are finding ways to cash in on you too. My son and I are forced to listen to 2 out of 3 Phillies games on the radio because Comcast partially owns the rights of broadcast. Well I don't have Comcast but DTV. I could get the game if I upgrade my package but there again to me THAT'S pay-per-view.

The NFL isn't far behind. ESPN used to be part of my basic channel lineup. Not anymore. Now in order to watch Monday night games I need a higher package that includes it. Thursday night games require the NFL network which also resides in a higher package. Game by game they are taking it away from the fan and giving it to the highest bidder. Sad really.

On a pay-per-view status this is what I see in the future for pro sports in the USA:

NFL
Sunday/Thursday game. $4.95
Monday night. $6.95
Playoff games. $8.95
Superbowl. $19.95

MLB
Regular season. $3.95
Pennant games. $6.95
World series. (Per game) $8.95

NHL
Regular season. $4.95
Playoff games. $5.95
Stanely cup. (Per game) $8.95

NBA
Regular season. $3.95
Playoff games. $4.95
Finals. (Per game) $6.95

IMO what once was a pastime for millions of Americans is turning into an elitist hobby. With players demanding millions of $$$ and owners forgetting about what got these sports where they are we are left with a hollow feeling in our gut.

1978. Paul going to watch the Pirates as a kid.

Ticket: $8
Parking: Free
Hot dog, soda and pretzel: $4
Jersey: $20

Total for 4 hours in a ball park with my Dad: $32

2011 Same scenario taking my own son to a Phillies game:
Ticket: $58 (average)
Parking: $20 (Per car)
Hot dog, soda and pretzel: $15
Jersey: $80
Total:$173.

Per person! A family of 4 equals $632!!!!!!

Anyone else see something wrong here?????

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16441
Because of the HUGE profit margins by satellite and cable companies, the average working person is now almost "required" to PIRATE any TV they can for family entertainment...its NOT that "piracy" has cause satellite and Cable costs to rise or theatres to close, its the OPPOSITE...Greed by companies have created the need for piracy by average people who can't afford to pay companies CEO's billions of dollars salary...I think we all saw that last year and again now with the GOV bailouts caused by greed...

Example:...did ya sneak into a ball game when U were a kid because U were "no good" and a "pirate" or thief?...no, U couldn't afford to pay the high admission costs that went to the owners and executives....I will always defend anybody who can find a way to save a buck for themselves and their families, rather than give it to some wealthy greedy business owner...

Big Business likes to put the blame on the little guy, but the opposite is true...Greed by the wealthy and large corporations are dictating costs to the lil guy..

Silver Member
Username: Ei_toro_the_great

Post Number: 194
Yeah, the good old days
In the local bar you could drink cool Beer
all nite for $5.00 and could go to a Massage Parlor
for $20.00 bucks get some half & half

I bet LK remembers those days.

Upload

Diamond Member

Post Number: 24611
New York Yankees Salary/Payroll Information - 2011

RosterLineupSalariesMLB Roster Analysis »
PLAYER SALARIES
RK PLAYER Salary (US$)
1 Alex Rodriguez 32,000,000
2 CC Sabathia 24,285,714
3 Mark Teixeira 23,125,000
4 A.J. Burnett 16,500,000
5 Mariano Rivera 14,911,701
6 Derek Jeter 14,729,365
7 Jorge Posada 13,100,000
8 Robinson Cano 10,000,000
9 Nick Swisher 9,100,000
10 Rafael Soriano 9,000,000
11 Curtis Granderson 8,250,000
12 Russell Martin 4,000,000
13 Phil Hughes 2,700,000
14 Eric Chavez 1,500,000
Andruw Jones 1,500,000
Freddy Garcia 1,500,000
17 Joba Chamberlain 1,400,000
18 Boone Logan 1,200,000
19 Bartolo Colon 900,000
20 Luis Ayala 650,000
21 Brett Gardner 529,500
22 David Robertson 460,450
23 Gustavo Molina 455,000
24 Ivan Nova 432,900
25 Eduardo Nunez 419,300

^^^^^^^I guess that's why we pay $6.50 for a hot dog?

It's 3 hours in the sun. The lowest paid player is paid more than the President of the United States.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16442
Whiskey....naw, it was cheaper than that...lol....25 cents a beer,so 20 bar beers were $5.00, or bring yer own case ( $2.50) which many allowed...but the "massage" parlor with "added" boom boom was $1.80 (price of a carton of smokes) ...so for $4.30 ya had a great nite, drinking, partying, message and some "boom boom"...lol

BTW...a beer now, JUST 1, at an MLB game is $5.50 for a 16 oz bottle.....in spring training!...Red Sox style bud!

Diamond Member

Post Number: 20979
Whiskey: Is it true that LK got "$20.00 bucks" for "some half & half "?

Diamond Member

Post Number: 20986
??
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us