30" Winegard, SG2100motor, Invacom QHP-031 LNB.

Bronze Member
Username: Viewsat_ultra

Post Number: 52
Hi,I've been using my DN500 antenna with my Viewsat Ultra.I would like to set-up the following equipment.
I purchased a 30" Winegard, SG2100motor, Invacom QHP-031 LNB.
I know the Azimuth,Elevation, Skew settings for my location.and the pole is plumb.
Today I will attempt to aim the big dish,What do I need to know to hit 110/119?
My LNB settings for the 500 are OCS-DP,What should I select for the Invacom?
(universal,standard,OCS-DP,legacy twin lnb1,legacy twin lnb2,legacy quad lnb1,legacy quad lnb2)?
LNB Freq:?
22Khz On or Off?
Tp Freq:?
By the way,I'm presently using a switch,let me find out which one it is.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 53
I believe it's the DP34 switch that I'm using,I'll climb on to my roof to check it out for sure.
By the way, I would like to use both antennas in conjunction with this switch.
With the switch I would only need one cable to connect both antennas,Right?

Gold Member
Username: The_coders

Post Number: 1659
Invacom is standard. There's no skew for motorized dish, point your motor and dish to true south (your longitude) and find the nearest sat close to true south to line it up , can use usals at this point to correct offset.

Gold Member
Username: Tapeman

New York Citay in-HD, NY

Post Number: 3891
There is no skew for Circular Sats like 110, 118, 119W
But there is a specific skew for Liear sats like sat 97W

Uiversal Settigs can work on any LNB
It's the LNB internal frequency
Yo can try Uiversal
LNB-Hi freq=11250
LNB-Lo freq=9750

I would try connecting straight with no DPSwitch to rule out any sat switch

Gold Member
Username: Plymouth

Canada

Post Number: 6824
Rob
Do a factory default, load factory bin, the satellite info from viewsatusa.com then reload the latest bin.

1)Power off on back panel switch,unhook the LNB and hook only the motor.
2)Set your position in the motor menu.
3)Select 110W or the satellite who is close to south of your position, use usals and press OK and save then wait 30 secondes and select Motor off.
4)In regard with your Motor manual adjust your motor elevation.
5)Now track your satellite for the best signal with a satellite tracker.
6)Return in motor menu then select usals the hook the LNB with a diseq switch between the motor and LNB, DO NOT USE A DP SWITCH.
Scan your satellites.
7)Test the signal on extreme west and east and check with the satellite tracker for best signal in regard with motor manual.

Good luck!

If you have question on Motorized dish ask me.
Note that you should be better with a 36" dish with those LNB and Motor.

Not c/p but from my experience.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 54
Thanks,
I've set up a dish500 using the azimuth,skew,elevation from my dn receiver.
I climbed on my roof to confirm the switch is the model DP34, and it is.I will disconnect as King Tapeman suggested.
I noticed as "The Coders & King Tapeman" stated that there isn't a skew for this type of dish.I set the elevation for 41 degrees but on the opposite side of the elevation scale is another scale ranging from approximately 18-84 degrees.(76CM is stamped on the top left of the mount).I live in the Fort Lauderdale area, according to my receiver I should set to Azmiuth 240,Elevation 41, Skew 139.
As I stated above I set the Elevation to 41, What is the scale on the other side?
Is it for Longitude?
Thanks again.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 55
On my last post I didn't see the response from "Plymouth"
The motor is currently set to 0 and the pole is plumb all the way around but,I still have to find true south.
First I need to find out the proper adjustments/position of the SG2100 motor,After I acquire this info I'll point to true south and do as you instructed.
Thank You.

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 6826
ROB do exactly as i says and put the skew to 0 degree on the dish and position the LNb in center of the colar.

Use this site for aimed your dish and set your position, select your motor on page:

http://satcalculator.freehostia.com/

You dont need to found the true south with my instruction, the dish must be turn on your satellite and after you aim it.
You play only with azimut and elevation of your dish not the motor.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1660
There's NO skew for circular or linear sats using a motor , the motor sets the skew automatically , your true south is your longitude.Use STANDAND setting for the QPH-031 only , universal doesn't work. I have 2 fortec star 1.2 meter dishes with SG2100's , QPH-031's and cheita switches on each.

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 6827
Rob
All North America Linear satellite must be set on Standard and LNB Freq: 10750 but when you do a Blind scan use Universal High: 10750 Low: 9750

Coders is right the skew is set automatically when the dish turn on each satellites.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 56
http://www.galaxy-marketing.com/satellite_dish_motor_installation_help_and_guide _for_dish_motor_76cm_to_120cm_satellite_dish_antenna_sg2100_or_sg6000.html

states the following:
"figure out your declination angle. You can do that by looking in the manual of the HH motor mount. In the back, you see a chart. Simply plug in your latitude and look to see the declination angle that it gives you. Based on the motor you are using, you need to subtract that angle from either 30 degrees or 40 degrees. This becomes the elevation of your dish antenna. Example: the latitude of Marietta, GA is 33.98 degrees. When you plug that in, you will see a declination angel of 5.51 degrees. When you subtract this from 40 degrees, the elevation of your satellite dish then needs to be set to 34.49 degrees".

They state that I have to find the "declination angle" from the manual of the mount that I'm using (Digipower SG2100)but I don't have the manual and can't find on-line.

I looked at the site that Plymouth recommended it stated that my "dish elevation" is 40.6,but I can't find the declination angle to subtract from 40.6.
Is it 5,6,7 degrees?

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 6829
Rob give me your give me your zip code and i will give you the good setting for the motor and dish.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 57
True Azimuth 80.28
Magnetic Azimuth 85.84
Dish Elevation 40.6
Motor Elevation 26.11
As I said earlier I set the Elevation on the motor to just under 41 degrees,but on the other side of the (same) bracket I need to set the antenna elevation. What should this be set at?
It ranges from 18-84 degrees,and as I said it's on the opposite side of the bracket.
Thanks for all your help.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 58
85.84-80.28=5.56 is that the # that I'm looking for?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 59
From what I gather there is an elevation scale on one side of the bracket for motor elevation ranging from 25 - 75 degrees,I set to 26 degrees
and on the other side of the bracket for dish elevation ranging from 18 - 84 degrees for dish elevation.Does this sound correct?

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 6831
Rob
You have two side on for the motor elevation in regar with with your position, use the side that you are able to put 26.11. and bolt the motor in this position because you have two position on motor bracket for it.
On your dish you have a elevation scale, put 40.6.
Now be sure you had do what i says in my first ost or you should have many problem to set your receiver with this motorized dish.
Dont try to found the perfect south, and do the fine tuning with azimut and dish elevation not the motor elevation.
True Azimuth 80.28
Magnetic Azimuth 85.84
Dish Elevation 40.6
Motor Elevation 26.11

Gold Member

New York Citay in-HD, NY

Post Number: 3892
"the motor sets the skew automatically"
People set Motor to true south so when motor move east or west it will match earth's curveture to King's belt in the sky
Linear polarity must be skewed within intial setup for both Vertical and Horizontal Orthognal Planes

"universal doesn't work"
That depends on yor tuner presets
He says he's got VU-sat
Universal preset should work on any LNB if yo pick the frequecies I provided for both High and Low

ROB
Don't go crazy
Stop here and read my notes carefuly
I'm gonna show best teachiques
Yo'll be up ad runing in few minutes

Since yor in Zip Code 33324
- Yor closest True South Sat iz AMC-5 at 79W
- Azimuth=86 degrees Elevation=41
- LNBF flat up matching 12 O'clock position
- Set yor LNB to Universal
- LNBH= 10750, LNBL= 9750
- Set yor Atenna settings to 79W at TP 12177 , Pol=H, S/R=20500, FEC=3/4
- Tweak yor dish to get highest Q Up/down Left/Right etc. to obtain highest Q
- Yor all set for intial position (0) True South
- Yo don't even have to scan that TP as long as yo got Q level

This will be best way to set yor dish true South
Any other mothod is nothing but a guessing game

Then yo can start moving yor dish west for desired sats remotely from yor receiver
Use memory positions to memorize yor target sats

I use a birdog sat finder so I don't have to do any of that and I get any sat in seconds
Feel free to ask ay question here
No PM

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 6835
King
I do like you first time but i lose much time to fine tuning for get all satellites from east to west.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 60
Okay here's one of my mistakes. When I went to http://satcalculator.freehostia.com and entered my info I selected "stab motors (HH90)" which calculated my dish elevation at 40.6.
I went back to that site and selected "Motech SG2100" which calculated my dish elevation at 25.61.
The problem that I was having was with the dish elevation, it wouldn't elevate past 30 degrees without hitting the motor mount. Now that I realize my ridiculous mistake,I will set to whatever you tell me to.

Let me know if this is correct:
My motor should be at 26.11 on the Elevation side or should it be 26.11 on the Latitude side of the bracket?

The dish elevation should be 25.61 (According to http://satcalculator.freehostia.com) minus 5.46 (According to NGDC)which would put me at 20.15 for the dish elevation.
Are these figures correct?
Thanks again for your patience.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 61
Earlier I mentioned that I had two scales on the motor bracket,Latitude on one side ranging from 15 - 75 degrees and on the other side of the bracket it shows Elevation ranging from 15 - 75 degrees).The antenna bracket ranges from 18 - 84 degrees.According to a website that I viewed earlier I should set the 26.1 degrees on the Latitude side not on the Elevation side.
Is this correct?

Gold Member

New York Citay in-HD, NY

Post Number: 3897
2 parts graded for degrees
- Degrees on motor must be 41
- Degrees on dish elevation must be set according to chart came with dish

There is a chart that comes with the motor tells yo what the other degree

But even if yo don't have it
The steps I provided will take care of that adjustments when I say move up/down Left/Right when yo align to 79W

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 6836
Rod
You put the motor bracket on 26.11 elevation and the dish bracket on 25.61 latitude(sorry its my mistake).

Forget the NGDC

This video from Sadoun can help you to set your dish:
http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Installation/HH-mount-installation.htm

Note that I have 2 Motorized dishes HH-90 one 33" with QPH-031

Gold Member

Post Number: 1661
Dish Setup Data

Motor Latitude: 26.1°
Declination Angle: 4.4°
Dish Elevation: 26°
Elevation: 59.5°
Azimuth (true): 180.0°
Azimuth (magn.): 185.8°

http://www.dishpointer.com/

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 6838
Coders
Dishpointer does not suggest specific Motor which settings are different for each model.
With motor http://satcalculator.freehostia.com is much better.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1662
Sure it does , click "Motorized Systems" scroll down to Moteck SG2100.

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 6841
Sorry i don't see it

Bronze Member

Post Number: 62
I see the link above the map
All Satellites | Motorized Systems | Multi-LNB Setups:

I think I may have the wrong "Antenna Bracket". As I said it ranges from 18-84 but the limit is 30,at 30 the bracket at the back of the dish which secures the dish to the motor shaft hits the shaft.In order for me to set past 30 I would need a different bracket. I need to find a picture of an assembled "Digipower Sg2100 W/30"/76cm Winegard DS2076 Antenna" to be sure.

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 6846
Rob i think you must put the motor arm in up position for your Winegard dish.
Put it as for this picture with same settings.
Upload
I,m able to select your motor in dishpointer and it give same settings as for the other tool.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 63
It's kind of odd that it would go upside down but I'll try it.Being up-side-down when I set the degree of the motor shaft should it be on the "Latitude"side of the bracket or on the "Elevation"side?
The picture shows the Elevation side of the bracket.
Thanks.

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 6847
Rob the Latitude is always on motor bracket.
On my small 18" Winegard (BEV) i had made 2 plate whit 4 hole to move away the dish and motor because i had not swivel the motor.

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 6848
Rob the Latitude is always on motor bracket.
I do a correction.

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 6849
Ron
please are you able to take a picture of your motor and dish, i want see the Motor bracket and dish bracket.
A picture that i can see the scale on the side of your system.

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 6850
Rob
please are you able to take a picture of your motor and dish, i want see the Motor bracket and dish bracket.
A picture that i can see the scale on the side of your system.

Silver Member
Username: Jay_w_grayson

Prague, Oklahoma USA

Post Number: 235
C/P from from PRFRMNJ and Kevin Reno True FTA testers

Motorized Dish

There are two types of HH motors. The one pictured above is a DiSEqC 1.2 motor. The other one is the STAB /USALS motor (also called DiSEqC 1.3). Both essentially do the same thing: Move the dish using the remote control of your FTA receiver. This is done by connecting a standard coax from the receiver to the motor and a second coax from the motor to the LNB. The motor is powered by the receiver

To install a motor, you need to know what direction is due south. This is not the same as due south according to a compass. You need to know the exact direction of the South Pole from your location.

Make a pushpin at your house. With the Location Sensor active, determine your exact Longitude. In this case, it is 149.021 West.

Using the address finder feature, select the Lat/Long tab and type in "0" for the latitude (the Equator) and your longitude, expressed as a negative number.

A pushpin is placed on the Equator at exactly the same longitude as your house. Zoom in on the pushpin as far as you can and draw a line all the way from that point to your house. You can zoom out and continue the line over the Pacific Ocean and zoom back in when to connect the line to your house.

When you have finished drawing the line, you can now see where true south is from your location.

Now that you have determined true south from your location, here is the reason why it is important to line up with true south:

Once you locate your true south, this is the zero point of your HH motor. Of course, if you aim your dish at that point, you may or may not get a signal because there may or may not be a satellite at that location.

What you need to do after determining your zero point is determine which satellite is closest to this point. This is entirely dependent on your longitude. If you are fortunate enough to live at 91 west or 119 west, then you have it easy. But most people are not that lucky. Most people need to locate a satellite that requires a Ku linear LNB.

Find the satellite closest to your zero point and subtract that value from the longitude of your zero point. For instance, your zero point (site longitude) is 149.5 and your nearest satellite is 148. 149.5 -- 148 = 1.5.

In this case, you would need to manually set your motor to 1.5 degrees away from the zero point. Since 148 is east of 149.5, you need to set the motor 1.5 degrees to the east of the zero point on the motor. These values are not shown on the motor so you will have to estimate.

When you have your motor set to the correct deviation from true south, you can now go outside and try to tune that satellite in the same way you would try to point for a fixed dish. Leaving the elevation bolt loosened enough to move the dish up and down; and leaving it loose enough on the pole to move it left and right, steer the dish until you get a signal. Remember that it is very important not to operate the motor while you try to locate this satellite!

Once you have a strong signal and have verified that the signal is indeed your "pointer satellite" and not some other satellite nearby, you can then tighten the bolts to hold the dish firmly in place. Hook up the motor to the FTA receiver and manually move the dish motor to see if any other satellites come in as the dish pans the arc.

If you do not get any other satellites, then you have probably done something wrong and you might even have to repeat the pointing process over and over again. Remember that dish pointing is not an easy thing to do. That's why installers get paid $100 to do it. Pointing a motorized dish is even more difficult and frustrating. It can take hours or days to do. The reward, however, is well worth the effort.

Upload

Bronze Member

Post Number: 64
I just called DMSI the manufacture of the SG2100 to ask if I needed a different bracket or if I had to flip the motor upside down.The person that I spoke to asked for my location and checked that my stats are correct.He said I have to set my 26.1 Latitude on the "Latitude" side of the bracket (even though the manual shows it on the elevation side). And if I were to set at 26.1 on the Lat side the "Elevation"side of the bracket would show as 64 which is what I got when I adjusted it yesterday.
(e.g.26.1 on Lat = 64 on Ele).
Now the other problem was the manual also stated that the "Dish Elevation" bracket would be 40 degrees minus the 4.4 = declination angle @ 35.6 degrees,but I couldn't set past 30 because the bracket that secures the dish would hit the shaft.
He told me that it's 30 minus declination angle not 40 minus declination angle (another typo)which means I should set the dish declination angle @ 25.6 which is where I have it.

If I were to set the 26.1 on the "Elevation"side of the bracket as the manual clearly illustrates, the dish would have been pointing more towards the ground than it would towards the sky.

My next challange is find the sats, I'll carefully re-read all of the above input and hope for the best.
Thanks again for all your help.

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 6863
Good job ROB

You are Welcome

On my 2 HH-90 the settings from http://satcalculator.freehostia.com is good.

Don't forget to unhook the LNB and do a hard reboot and select 110W wait until the dish is positonned and put the motor off in the sat menu then hook the LNB without power off the box, now aim your dish.
Warning do not spark the wire when you hook it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us