PDP resolutions via VGA connection (need help)

Username: Chriseid

Post Number: 1
My tv- HPS4233

Ok so I'll start at the beginning. Ever since I had my set I've been using it to display 1280x720 from my laptops and xbox. I had some issues with blue particles on the display so I had it fixed. They replaced a few things and it went away. I was subsequently disturbed to find that when I tired to select my resolution in the Display Properties of my laptop that only 640x480 and 1024x768 were available!

I called Samsung back to complain and now they are trying to claim that my TV only supports 1024x768 through VGA! I know this is bullshhh because I used other resolutions before!

Is it possible that my TV only supports standard def though VGA? If so, how could I have gotten it in the first place? Is there anything I can do? Please help if you can. Thank you.

Here is what my manual says:
"If the signal from the system equals the standard signal mode, the screen is adjusted automatically. If the signal from the system doesn't equal the standard signal mode, adjust the mode by referring to your videocard user guide; otherwise there may be no video. For the display modes listed below, the screen
image has been optimized during manufacture."

"• The interlace mode is not supported.
• The TV operates abnormally if a non-standard video format is selected.
• The table above conforms to IBM/VESA regulations and is based on using the Analog Input.
• Check mark means that this mode can be supported."

The resolution 1280x720 is NOT checked even though I have used that resolution in the past. Is that possible? What could be happening here?

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2276
­
Chris, the manual makes it pretty clear that the optimum setting is 1024 X 768 and as you point out the chart doesn't have 1280 X 720 or 1360 X 768 checked (meaning the TV does not support these resolutions). Furthermore it states that The PC text quality of HP-S4233 is optimum in XGA mode (1024 X 768 @60 Hz). They've made it pretty clear here. As I see it you have no quarrel with Samsung on this issue, regardless of what you thought you were doing in the past.

My question to you is that, since the native resolution is 1024 X 768 on this TV, what possible benefit is it to send a higher resolution into the TV? Even if the display would accept 1280 X 720, it would by necessity have to downscale that signal to its native resolution.
­

Post Number: 3
Hey, thanks for the reply John.

The issue I have with the manual is that it doesn't reflect the fact that I hooked up my xbox 360 to my TV not a month ago and set the resolution to 1280x720 without a problem. My games looked crisp in progressive scan HD. When I hooked up my laptop I was able to set the res to 720p again and I played beautiful divx copies of various BluRay movies. Furthermore, I remember hitting the info button to make sure of the resolution and I know it had the correct resolution shown. I know what HD is, I have an HD cable box and I watch all my programs in HD. What I got through that VGA port was 100% high definition. I know that I'm just some idiot on the internet but you gotta believe me man, I know what I'm talking about.

As for the native resolution being 1024x768 on the HPS4233, I cant believe that's true. I have my set top box hooked up through component and I know for damn sure that the HD video coming out of that thing is not 1024x768. I can post images if you dont believe me. Anyway, why would the native res on a widescreen TV be in 4:3?

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2277
­
"As for the native resolution being 1024x768 on the HPS4233, I cant believe that's true."

Samsung's site, as well as the owner's manual for this TV are worthless on this point, but check out these links. If you can find evidence to the contrary, I'd like to see it.

http://www.pricescan.com/Samsung-HP-S4233/el/133084.html

http://www.epinions.com/Samsung_HP_S4233_Television

http://www.refurbdepot.com/productdetails2.cfm?Product_ID=5015&refererid=become

http://archive2.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=775537

"I have my set top box hooked up through component and I know for damn sure that the HD video coming out of that thing is not 1024x768."

That is no doubt true, but that doesn't mean the display isn't scaling this signal to its native resolution.

"Anyway, why would the native res on a widescreen TV be in 4:3?"

That's because the pixels on this TV are not square. Each is rectagular, more or less the aspect ratio of the screen itself.
­

Post Number: 4
"That is no doubt true, but that doesn't mean the display isn't scaling this signal to its native resolution."

Ok, so even if the TV has a native resolution of 1024x768, it can still display a picture in 720p without a big loss of image quality? I've seen a lot of HDTVs from many manufacturers and none of them look any better than mine in 720p.

"That's because the pixels on this TV are not square. Each is rectagular, more or less the aspect ratio of the screen itself."

Interesting, I had no idea that was even possible. So given that fact, why doesn't the TV let me connect my laptops and display 720p the way I do with my set top box? Is there a way of forcing the resolution I want to the TV so it can scale it?

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2278
­
Look Chris, I believe this display performs very well. Pixel count isn't the only factor in picture quality. If this plasma does everything else right, then the picture shouldn't be compromised with a few less pixels, given reasonable viewing distances. I define reasonable as not less than 7 feet, or double the diagonal measurement of the display. Any closer, then the pixels become clearly visible, creating a "screen door" effect. Actually, this TV has some pretty impressive features and hookup flexibility (e.g. two RF ins and both coax and optical audio outs --- these days, most TVs have only one of each).

There's no question this TV supports 720p/1080i on its component inputs. This is why you have no problem with the cable STB and your xbox. But the RGB is different, again as the manual makes clear. The designers at Samsung have decided to not exceed the native resolution on RGB. The reason this TV's 50" sibling (HP-S5033) can go up to 1360 X 768 on RGB is because it is 1366 X 768 native.

I believe the reason you could input 720 before the repair is purely a fluke. Most likely a video processing board designed for the 50" got installed at the factory, and that got changed out during the repair.

In any case let me ask, do you really see a significant difference in graphics between the old 1280 X 720 and the
1024 X 768 setting you have now on your laptop?
­

Post Number: 5
"I believe the reason you could input 720 before the repair is purely a fluke. Most likely a video processing board designed for the 50" got installed at the factory, and that got changed out during the repair."
Sounds like my luck. This seems to be the most reasonable answer to the question. It's just really frustrating because the performance quality is really different. When I stretch the image out to fit the screen, the HD videos look blurry compared to the crispness I got when I could set my resolution to 720p. To be honest, I still don't understand why they would limit the VGA input. Either use it to its potential or don't include it at all, IMO.

I may call the repairman and ask him to put the old board back in as I don't think the blue particles had anything to do with it (they still appeared after he replaced it.)

Anyway, thanks for your help John.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2280
­
You're very welcome Chris.

Let me ask you, what program are you using to copy Blu-rays?
Are you really getting true HD on the DIVX copy?

Post Number: 6
To be honest, I get my divx files from a less than legal source so I'm not sure of the program used to rip them. I think some of them are captured from a satellite or cable HD box as well. They looked incredible though. At least as good as what I get over my cable box. I really miss being able to watch my high def collection but maybe this will force me to go out and buy a BluRay player and some legal discs.....

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2281
­
Gotcha. Thanks for the reply. Upload
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us