Trouble w/HLR5078W Color Wheel & not sure I trust the repairman, any help appreciated

Username: Xhbaxbud4life

Post Number: 1
I was watching my HLR5078W yesterday using the PIP function (unknown if this had anything to do w/what accured) when I heard a pop or a clunk sound followed by a loud humming or vibrating noise & a pinkish color flicker. I immediately turned it off by remote, now when I plug it in the lamp light flashes and the humming starts & stops like it's trying to reset itself this continues for approx. 20-30 secs then the TV shuts itself down. From some of the posts I've read here and elsewhere it definitely seems to be the Color Wheel. Quick note Samsung label on back panel indicates TV was manufactured in Jan 2006 I purchased it in Feb or March of 2006 needless to the warranty is up & I did not have the common sense apparently to get any extended warranty from Vanns or Samsung it was my first jump to HDTV from pic tube SD TV's which could last 15-20yrs. Anyway I call Samsung & get the # for an authorized repair person call him up and he got here today. He doesn't remove the back panel at all just plugs it in and listens to the noise and flashing lamp light I spoke of earlier. He has me unplug it & instnaly says it's the color wheel. Wow we're of like minds I was stunned he then tells me minus the service fee he collected what it will run me to fix it. Here's were the untrusting feelings start he then tells me it's rare but it actually may be the LE (as u know a $1000 item) but he has no way of knowing until he replaces the color wheel of which the labor and part are in a word NON-Refundable regardless of the outcome. This TV just had its 2yr aniv a couple of months ago & I've already replaced the lamp once & now the color wheel. I could live with doing both of these things every 2-4 yrs but this LE thing is too much money as far as replacing especially with any frequency. So my questions: 1.Is he telling the truth about the LE possibly being the cause of my problem & is a new CW the only way to know? 2.How often do the LEs need replacing? 3.Does anyone now of thread that desrcibes, preferably w/pictures, how I can replace the CW myself? I know I've seen a few How To's but none for my specific model but I really don't want to mess around w/a similar model description unless the guts of the TV's are identical. Sorry for the long drawn out ver of the story but I'm new to the site and forums in general, but not to the PC not a tech wizard but should have enough knowledge to understand most responses. Repairman is supposed to call me w/exact pricing Mon or Tues so any response before then is GREATLY appreciated.

Thank You
Love the site.
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us