Viewsat Ultra Receiver Problems

Username: Baileygirl

Post Number: 2
Hello,

My Viewsat Ultra Receiver (it is not a fake) is having major problems after trying to load through USB stick the latest program file the receiver stuck and now when I turn it on, the tv screen is blank and the receiver lcd display just reads ---- nothing else. I can't get the remote to work, nothing. I have tried everything I have found in user manuals and webforums to load the receiver through my computers usb port to the serial port on back of unit with the factory bin file and then the latest update file (122607 version) but the loader2 software that I loaded on my computer never loads the program to the receiver. I followed the instructions to where you open your file (I have even tried the 122207 file to which I know worked in the past) and then I click on the Pc to stb button on the loader2 software and then turn on the receiver and it just stays at 0%, and then eventually reads, "error" on the software display. I have tried this several times plus I have tried using different usb to serial cables and it still won't load, can anyone help me fix the problem? If you could read through my issue here and sugggest something that may help that I haven't tried yet, I would truly appreciate your help.

Silver Member
Username: Jowhar

Post Number: 145
If you have windows vista and usingusb to serial cables I have the isue.

Bronze Member
Username: Signalfta

Post Number: 15
The "flashing bars" or "Knight Rider" problem is basically when there are only flashing bars on the front display... This probably may occur when:

turning the STB "OFF" during / after a data transfer before the front panel displays "0 0 0 0?; for whatever reason a bad/corrupted flash or a corrupted channel list...

How To Fix this issue:

Get a "Factory Bin file" & transfer this data from the PC to the Viewsat STB using the standard Loader2 procedure...

Once the STB front panel goes to "0 0 0 0?, you may turn off the Viewsat STB...

Using Loader2, again find the "Current Bin file" to program your Viewsat STB using the standard Loader2 procedure...

Once the STB front panel goes to "0 0 0 0?, it is safe to turn off the Viewsat STB...

If you have a special "satinfo.sat" satellite file, use Loader2 and the standard data transfer procedure to transfer that data from your PC to Viewsat STB.

The Viewsat STB should now be back in good working condition...
If not, you've lost nothing by trying and should try this multiple times before giving up.

Username: Ralphie27

Post Number: 7
you need to use the serial cable that comes with the vs ultra, i had the same problem, i was using my c00lsat serial cable, there is a black serial cable that comes in the box, all of your other steps are correct once you use the correct cable

Post Number: 3
Thank you for trying to help. My computer has Windows XP. I have tried about 10 times using the procedure with the Loader2 and the current bin file but nothing loads, the software stays at 0% and the lcd display just reads ---- it never does anything else through the process. I have followed the entire Loader 2 process with current bin file and it just keeps doing the same thing, nothing. If you can think of anything I may be missing here, please let me know. Thanks for your help.

Gold Member
Username: Nydas

Post Number: 6593
[link removed]
*****------*****-----*****------*****-----
C/P
Viewsat Ultra Fail Fix

Thanks to the Creator.......................

This is a repair program only! It is a tool used to repair 'dead' Viewsat Ultra boxes. It is not intended to make receivers decrypt anything!

Your Ultra will need the latest fix after it has been restored!

Works on GENUINE ver 1 & 2 VS Ultras

Will repair what appears to be an unrepairable 'dead' box...

- Unit will not respond to your remote
- Accidentally loaded the wrong bin
- USB not recognized
- the old favorites '----' and 'fail'
- Unlocks hopelessly locked units (codes -0000, 0937, 3570)
- Works on GENUINE VSUs
** This tool has not been tested on clones, so, I don't know if it'll work...
The list goes on...

Needed...

Loader2, the PVRloader is just as good
A NULL cable
Install 'mainpg.pgm' via your serial port, your presumed dead unit is now behaving as new!
Now get the latest fix and install via your thumb drive.
You DO NOT have to install a factory file.
Attached Files
File Type: zip VS Ultra FAIL FIX.zip (1.01 MB)

Post Number: 5
thanks ralph, I tried using that cable but it didn't work either, is there a special driver for that cable that you have to load on to your pc? the cable I have in the box is a serial port to serial port cable.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
There is a Chinese program that can fix some of the units stuck on the "- - - - ", but it won't fix all of them.

If you are not sure you can do it, then definitely get some one else who knows how to do this type of work.

Post Number: 6
Thanks I will try to upload the fix file you referred to Natlin. I hope this helps. Thank you for taking the time. I will let you know if it works. Thanks again.

Post Number: 7
I tried loading the mainpgm fix but like the other files I tried to load through null cable, the loader2 program still reads 0%, it says sending in the ZModem window and then says resending and then just sticks at 0%. Any suggestions?

Post Number: 8
I think my problem has to do with my computer? I have Windows XP operating system with Mcafee virus protection and aol as my service provider? Will this screw up the connection between my computer and receiver to upload software?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
Should not interfere with it but some pc's are strange

Post Number: 9
Thanks to everyone for trying to help. I guess I'll have to resort to reading books and watching dvd's, which aint all that bad anyway. I see the satellite dude who sold me the receiver in mid January so maybe he'll be able to fix it. Anybody have any luck with sending their receivers to viewsatusa?

Gold Member
Username: Saqeeb9000

Post Number: 1126
no don't send there.. b.c you have to pay for shipping charges..+ wait for 1 month or so.. . + if you download any bins after the rec came from box... it's not coverd throught warranty.. if it cost $ 50-75 fix it.. if you sat dealer is exchanging it exchange it.. if it cost above $100..its worth to buy a new rec.. and if you are buying a new rec..let me know.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Thanks for the advice, I'll just wait to see what the satellite guy will do. Take care and if anybody comes up with some miracle cure to my situation, I'm willing to listen.

Username: Djibo

Post Number: 10
Hi everybody,

Is the problem encountered by Baileygirl and many others means that Viewsat Ultra is really not a good choice, comparatively to SonicView 400 or Captiveworks ...

Please help me to make a right choice

Username: Morocco

Post Number: 1
The problem you are experiencing is likely due to you not having communication between the computer and the STB. Do you have a regular serial port on the back of your computer? If you do, you must connect the serial cable from your receiver to the computer and in your Loader software make sure the correct com port number is selected. If you only have USB ports on the computer, then you have no other option than to use the usb to serial adapter and the serial cable that came with your STB. Again, though, you must make sure that you have the correct serial (Com) port selected in your loader software. Most USB to Serial port adapters show up in "Device manager" in Windows as serial ports numbering 5 or higher. Check in device manager with your USB to Serial adapter plugged in to see what com ports are listed. Then change the com port selection in your loader software to match and try loading the fix file posted on most forums.

Bronze Member
Username: Perycles2005

Post Number: 50
If still help you...I had a problem similar for some time...until I realize the USB port using had a problem...I turned to the COM2 and then retry and it worked...(of course I had to do it first the loader and then the STB turns On)...try it and if possible use another computer...and/or cable...who knows it maybe be bad...lets us know how it work out

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Hi everybody,

Is the problem encountered by Baileygirl and many others means that Viewsat Ultra is really not a good choice, comparatively to SonicView 400 or Captiveworks ...

Please help me to make a right choice

Bronze Member
Username: Ghazala

Post Number: 29
PLEASE GO HERE AND YOU CAN FIX YOUR PROUBLM.
http://transatelectronics.com/store/usb-to-serial-rs232-adapter_P211

Gold Member
Username: Saqeeb9000

Post Number: 1130
i am hearing lots of problem..with viewsat ultra ,exteme etc.. didn't heard anything about sonic view.. so if you are buying b.w these two.. buy sonciview..

Gold Member
Username: Ke5aqn

IF I DONT KNOW THE ANSWER, I WILL FIND...

Post Number: 2706
Baileygirl ,

if your still around have you rebooted the host computer? If not do that now then try to upload to the stb again

Djibo,

She is having computer trouble more than receiver trouble. As far as comparing Sonic or Captive to viewsat goes they are copy's of viewsat. Viewsat is the leader in the FTA world.

I am however seeing alot og trouble here with this ultra receiver. I think the viewsat platinum is a great receiver $130 shipped

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
FTA Tester,

I'm oriented toward VS Ultra rather then VS platinum to avoid a horrible situation I'm living with my Fortec Classic NA which is No support for basic Models of the Fortec product.

Besides, my present laptop have only a USB port.

So that why VS Ultra interests me.

Gold Member
Username: Ke5aqn

IF I DONT KNOW THE ANSWER, I WILL FIND...

Post Number: 2711
I see no end to support for the platinum if thats your worry.

As you can clearly see from just this thread the ultra is NOT updating with the usb thumb drive. Their are usb-serial adapters you can use. They work great but we have seen reports that they are slow...like 1/2 hour to upload.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 68
Dashing (----) nite rider lites fix

2 handed fix..

U have simple nite rider lights (----) on the display window.....box is far from dead...simple fix...use 2 hands...shut off receiver with rear switch...get loader and factory bin ready...with one hand, turn on receiver with rear switch,

IMPORTANT......
IMMEDIATELY at first dash click loader "download/write" button, with mouse using other hand...and upload the factory fix...its all about timing and being persistent...may take 30 attempts...then reload the latest fix correctly ...

This procedure is also known as a "Force upload"....

Bronze Member
Username: Eliaselias

Post Number: 35
Bailey, i do have a viewsat extreme and a clone pansat and i have the same problem that you have that i could not solve even that i start a thread that my usb to serial is not working and i get many suggestion one of them to buy a new cable which i did and the problem follow change port and i did even so the problem follow. I have one laptop and one desktop. What i discover was the following and i hope this will clarify for you, the doubts you have and i hope that the great tester explain why this is happening with viewsat.
What i discover was the following that the problem was not the port com or the cable but even so, if i did not buy a new cable i never knew my problem.
The viewsat cannot download from a usb to serial it gave the same error you are saying you have in your ultra, while pansat take it fast and easy accept it and this is from my laptop.
Now viewsat the only way to transfer data bin was through the cable that come with it which is serial to serial and not usb to serial what i have in my desktop and this make any file be transfered to my viewsat.
Now the question that i have for all the tester why the usb to serial viewsat do not accept it.
2nd if i have a viewsat ultra is it possible to transfer with a usb cable ? what i mean from usb port of pc to usb of the utlra?
And thanks for FTA and Nalyn
Marvel

Gold Member
Username: Nydas

Post Number: 6601
The Pansat 2500 clone cable is a striaght RS232 cable with pin 2 at one end coming out as pin 2 at the other end and pin 3 at one end coming out as pin 3 at the other end. That is what a Pansat 2500 requires.
The USB to serial adaptor, satisfies that criteria.
The viewsat cable requirement is that of a null modem cable which also is aserial cable but has pin 2 at one end coming out as pin 3 at the other end and pin 3 at one end coming out as pin 2 at the other end. Since the pinout of the USB to serial adaptor does not match this requirement, it does not work.
The solution is to interpose a 9 pin M/F null adaptor in between. This simply sens the signal of pin 2 to pin 3 at the other end and of pin 3 at one end to pin 2 at the other end. With this little toy in your tool box, you can pick up any unknown cable and use it directly or via the little toy and get connection. There are a couple of other solutions, but I really do not get into a discussion and argument about the hardware.

A null 9 pin M/F adaptor is a useful device to use with any unknown F/F cable to change straight to null or null to straight. Use the cable on its own for one type and in series with the adaptor for the other type of connection.

The USB to serial device that people buy has a problem with installation via window XP's "plug and Play software. You are better off using the CD drivers that come with the adaptor. Eventually it boils down to making sure that the serial port is set to COM 1,2,3 or 4 and nothing esoteric that windows XP tends to do.

www.norpak.ca/Documents/nullmodem.pdf

Username: Fishinkidd

Post Number: 3
My experience with this is that when you start the load with the pc have your STB off then power it on ...the load will then start. With everything powered on with the software starting to load it will not start, but with the reciever off on the back, start the factory bin load with the null modem cable from the pc then power up the reciever from the back....the software starts to load....I have done this twice now. before that it drove me nutz when it wasn't loading, but I figured it out.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Thanks to everyone, I do have a serial to serial cable that came in the box that i will use on another computer that I have and try the 2 handed fix several times as referred to in this thread. I'll let you know. I have taken all of your suggestions into calculating to what is going on here. Thank you to all of you, very very nice of you to help. I will let you know my turnout. Happy New Year to everyone! be safe.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us