Noobi, need help

Username: Lgvolvo

New Jersey

Post Number: 1
Whats up everybody, I'm just learning about FTA and would appreciate a little help if possible. My first question is which is the best type of receiver to buy. Also, I have two different types of satellite dishes (dtv dish, DN dish). Would this work with any type of receivers that are on the market, or do certain receiver work only with certain satellite dishes. Sorry if these are stupid questions but like I said, Im completely new to this. Any advice would be greately appreciated. Thanks in advance

Bronze Member
Username: Sekhem

Post Number: 53
First check out various sites that are recommended by LK and do your homework on FTA before jumping in and READ a lot on the variuos recievers. Viewsat, sonicview, Extremeview, Captive Works. My choice in that order. As far as your dishes, they both can be used, but aiming at the right satellites is crucial to having it work. Do reasearch and good luck. By the way, Stay away from fortecs... A real nightmare. Good luck.

New Jersey

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the advice. I've been reading up on it for a couple of days now and it seems that averyone really likes the viewsat ultra. Would buying it of ebay be ok, or would it be better to buy it from an actuall website. Thanks for your input.

Bronze Member
Username: Sekhem

Post Number: 56
you will not be jilted by you choice. Also be sure to check to make sure that the viewsat vendor is an authorized dealer. e*bay has clone dealers and you would not want to be stuck with clones of any sort. good luck

Gold Member
Username: Nydas

Post Number: 2337
Leo G : Both the dishes you have will work. If there are LNBs in the DN dish, you better check the full details and then look up the installation instructions for those specific LNBs.
As to DTV LNBs, - best to discard and buy new LNBs for your needs.
Also read up on switches, for the SPECIFIC combination of LNBs and also make sure you read up on power requirements of the full combination you are going to use.

New Jersey

Post Number: 3
Ok, both dishes are mounted already. The Dish Network dish is in use only for my intenational channel(brazil), nothing else. The DTV dish is mounted and cables are running into the house but not in use(no more hacks to the hu cards). Now, can I just run both dishes through the switch and connect to the receiver to open the channels(assuming the LNBs are good). And why would you say I should discard the DTV LNBs (wont pick up signals?). Sorry if I'm a pain in the butt, but just trying to get it right before I buy anything. Appreciate all the help.

Gold Member
Username: Nydas

Post Number: 2352
DTV lnbs do not work well with DN and are mounted differently. You will at least have to move the dish to point properly and can try to use the LNB, but I doubt if you will succeed.
It would be easier to spend about $40-50 on two standard LNBs and put all of it through a 4 to 1 switch. There are problems even with DN Twin combined with a separate DN international such as 61.5W.

New Jersey

Post Number: 4
I guess I'll just use the DN dish and not conect the DTV dish at all. Gonna start lookint at sites to buy the receiver. Hope this doesnt turn out to be a disaster. Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Lklives

Post Number: 8764
DTV LNB's work fine with DN..and so do Dish Pro Twin LNB's , or any Dish Pro (NOT Dish Pro Plus)...

I recommend U purchase from www.globalwholesalers.biz and forget about Ebay..

and Viewsat Ultra with USB stick is the way to go..

and IGNORE nalin, she's an azzhole and doesn't know jackshi*t about FTA!

New Jersey

Post Number: 5
Thanks for the link and thanks for everyones help. Gonna try this out. If I have any problems, Ill post since you guys know what the hell you are talking about.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us