Shaky VHS to DVD transfer

Username: Swami7774

Post Number: 1
I'm transferring old VHS stuff to DVD, using a Sony DVDirect. Some transfers, while looking fine during the recording process, are very jumpy and breaking up when I play the new DVD onto which the old stuff has been dubbed. The shakiness is not seen during recording, only on playback. Any suggestions? Keep in mind the old VHS stuff is material I recorded off cable TV years ago. I probably need a stabilizer(which might also take care of another issue regarding copyrights). Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 2537
You could try a better VCR. Sounds like the TBC in the Sony, if it has one, doesn't work very good.

Post Number: 2
Nope, that's not it. I have 3 VCRs(Toshibas) of varying ages, and it happens on all 3. What's strange is that the playback on the VCR looks fine. The playback on the recorded DVD jumps and breaks up constantly.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2539
If it skips and pixelates, it's probably poor quality media.

Post Number: 3
It doesn't pixillate. It just jumps, as if you're hitting the side of an old TV that has a loose connection somewhere.
The quality of the original VHS is not bad. What puzzles me is that it looks fine when played in the VHS, but something is happening to it during the transfer. Would a stabilizer connected between the VCR and the DVD recorder help this?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2541
What brand and speed discs are you using? Jitter is usually a problem with the transfer, skipping and/or pausing is usually media.

Post Number: 4
Verbatim Double-Layer blank DVDs. Speed? 2.4

Gold Member

Post Number: 2546
Are you playing the discs on the recorder? Dual layer discs on a player may or may not work. They should play on the recorder if it advertises dual layer burning.

Post Number: 5
No. I'm recording the dual layer disks on the Sony DVDirect and playing them back on a regular DVD player.
The shakiness/jitteryness doesn't occur with all transfers, just certain ones. I can't find a common denominator in the problem transfers, though--other than they look fine playing back on the VCR, then look like crap on the DVD.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2548
Do they play OK on the Sony?

Post Number: 6
Actually, I've never used the Sony as a playback; only my DVD player and the computer. I'm not sure the DVDirect is usable as a playback.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2550
I'm not familiar with that recorder. Try using single layer discs.

Post Number: 7
You think the problem could lie in the disks rather than the process?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2552
Verbatim discs are good discs. I think the problem may be playing dual layer discs on a player. Not very many players advertise playback of burned dual layer discs.

Post Number: 8
You could be right, but if that were the case, wouldn't it be evident with every dual-layer disk I burn? The problem is there only on occasion.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2553
I've had problems with some discs while others worked fine in the past, before I started using only Taiyo Yuden discs. Lots of people have reported problems with dual layer discs. They aren't as reliable as single layer discs.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us